Standards of beauty

sorabji.com: Is it art?: Standards of beauty
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 02:05 pm:

So I was thinking about this film I saw in college about standards of female beauty.

The issue at hand is the ideal body type being curvy vs. boyish. The theory proposed was that there is an inverse relationship between how much political power women have at a given time and how curvy (i.e., zaftig) the ideal for feminine beauty is.

Check it out --

*Turn of the century -- not much power -- cheesecake photos of the era show lots of curvy girls

*'20s and '30s -- women gain the vote -- women bind their breasts and wear drop-waisted dresses to make themselves look straight all the way down

'40s -- potential anomaly. You've got women entering the workforce in huge numbers because of WWII, and Rita Hayworth and Betty Grable (luscious both) are pinup queens.

*'50s -- women leave the jobs they had during WWII, return to the home, the moms on all the TV shows are all homemakers and such -- Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield (and Betty...what the hell is her last name? Black hair, dutch-boy bangs, whip in hand?) are considered babes, and dresses are cut to tuck in at the waist and then flare at the hips.

'60s and '70s -- rise of feminism -- Twiggy and the introduction of short-short miniskirts (need skinny legs) and a-line dresses hiding curves

'80s -- can't...think...brain...numbed...by thoughts of...'80s...fashion

'90s -- lots and lots of women work, better sexual harrassment laws are enacted -- you get Kate Moss and the waif look

So what do you think? Do you see this pattern yourself? What do you think the connection could be between women gaining power and then making themselves look like boys? To make themselves appear less threatening? (Are curvy women threatening?)

By Spider on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 02:19 pm:

BTW, that should read "social/political power"

By Margret on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 04:31 pm:

Betty Page?

By Spider on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

Yes!

By heather on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 11:03 pm:

of course everything is connected but i wouldn't necessarily see it being so direct. even your view is easily skewed as you've only been alive to witness a small amount of that.

"What do you think the connection could be between women gaining power and then making themselves look like boys?"
    if they even are related as such, maybe you're putting the cart before the horse.

By eri on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 12:13 am:

I don't know about women gaining power in the workplace, since it has been so long since I have worked outside of the home for any real period of time.

As far as power over men, the one thing that I have noticed is this....the more weight I gain, the more I get attention. I mean, it is getting ridiculous. I can't even walk to the pool (not in a bathing suit, but in clothes) without at least two cars stopping. All of the men I know tell me I look hot as hell, but this is the biggest I have ever been and I am really starting to get self conscious of my size. I have to wear a large now.

So I guess somehow a big, huge ass, has something to do with power over men, but I am not sure how yet. I just wish they would leave me alone.

By agatha on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 02:06 pm:

Knowing how instinctual all of that stuff is, it's probably true. We're just high functioning primates, when push comes to shove. However, there is definitely a point where one becomes too curvy, and I have officially reached that point this year. Wahoo!

I should also add that obviously, personality traits and intellectual ability can sway any of those preconceived notions quite a bit. Thank whoever for that, because it's what gets me by in my place of employment.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 02:11 pm:

like heather said.

with each decade or so, its like the pendelum is swining the other way...at least in terms of fashion and appearance.

how much of a contribution does the previous trend have in the current?

I tend to see things that way as well....action, reaction.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact