Music from Dave

sorabji.com: Is it art?: Music from Dave
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 01:11 pm:

Dave, I don't remember your email address, and I left the letter I started writing you at home, so here I reply, shamelessly exposing my secrets to untold millions of anonymous eyes. Oh, keep reading.

I got your CDs! Thank you! Who knew Will Oldham could sing so pretty? I'll write you regarding the other music in more detail later.

(Steel yourself now....) I had so much fun playing the Gothic Christmas songs for my housemates and telling them all about the different bands -- yes, I brazenly confess I do know most of the bands on the two Gothic compilation albums....why, I even owned a few of their albums. Yes. AND (oh, worse, worse) I *still* have a t-shirt for one of the bands (Lycia -- this t-shirt), which I refuse to part with because I think the picture thereon is great. Also, in college I received a promotional postcard from the record label advertising the first Christmas album, and I tacked the postcard to my dorm room door because the picture is pretty (see?). I still think it's pretty. So where does this leave me in the "Spider: Goth or Not?" debate? I shudder to think.

Besides what you sent me, the only other new music I've heard in 6 months is Interpol's "Antics," which I like a lot, bland as it is.

By dave. on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 04:50 pm:

i knew you'd like the goth stuff. you're the gothest person for a thousand miles. when you're in montana, anyway.

i recognized 3 or 4 band names from it, but i was surprised and amused that it was all taken so seriously by the artists. it's way better than it sounds like it would be.

i really like the prince billy stuff, too. even though i can barely understand what he's mumbling on half of it. we sleep to that stuff on random repeat.

i am curious about what you think of the other stuff, and you don't have to write an essay or anything, but of course you will and i'll enjoy reading it.

let me know if you want anything in particular. artist/genre/whatever.

By Spider on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 11:09 pm:

Thanks, Dave!

I haven't listened to much of the other stuff because I can't get past the Will Oldham songs [and I have "Madeleine-Mary" in my head right now (italics: I love them)] but I like Kings of Convenience (they remind me of Nick Drake), even though the lyrics of first song of theirs piss me off because of the clueless stalker-ness of it all. But the music is pretty. I also listened to the Perfect Circle album of covers, which I really like -- I really like their choices in reinterpretation, except for their sad cover of "When the Levee Breaks," which is my favorite Led Zeppelin song. They totally missed the mark on that one. Anyway.

Some of the songs come up as "Title: Unknown / Artist: Unknown" on my MP3 player, so I'll listen to them carefully and see if I can describe them to you to find out what they are.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact