Cover art

sorabji.com: Is it art?: Cover art
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Friday, February 1, 2008 - 08:31 pm:

I have a question for the masses: have you noticed that we are currently suffering through an onslaught of truly heinous album covers in this day and age?

Observe.

First, I have to mention that Puscifer cover Wisper warned me about. Wisper, my friend, you were so so right. Check this shit out. That's the best they could do? With that title?

Another -- boring.

Another -- ugly colors, hideous typography. (That's an album of rare tracks, not compiled/released by the band. Dead Can Dance's official album covers are decent.)

Another -- ugly colors, messy composition, general hideousness.

Another -- boring.

You know, I don't even mind some boring ones -- nothing's going on in this one, but it's benign, not aggressively bland like the one above.

Even ugliness is inoffensive if it's balanced out with a cute personality. This is pretty ugly but it's got a sense of humor. (Where have I heard that before?)

And the one that got me all het up about this issue in the first place: Pladow I mean, what the hell is that? Pointless, communicates nothing, offends my eye. Ugh.

By heather on Friday, February 1, 2008 - 08:56 pm:

awkward and plain is hip

By Rowlfe on Saturday, February 2, 2008 - 04:39 am:

By Spider on Saturday, February 2, 2008 - 02:44 pm:

Hmmm, if that's bad, it's bad in a way that requires me to think about it. :) It's not immediately sensorily offensive like that Yeasayer album up there, so for that, it gets points.

On the other hand, it reminds me of a Blue Oyster Cult album cover mixed with something you'd see on a romance novel featuring noble savages.

I'm going to have to take your word for it on that Puscifer cover.

By semillama on Monday, February 4, 2008 - 01:51 pm:

God, Coheed and Cambria is embarrassing. I was into them briefly, but I decided no more after I read the first issue of that atrocity they called a graphic novel.

and as far as recent horrible album art goes, you can't top the Motor City Madman's latest, Love Grenade:

http://www.newscorpse.com/Pix/nugent_love_grenade.jpg

By Spider on Monday, February 4, 2008 - 05:01 pm:

Ugh. Why does that have to be so ugly?! Ignoring the woman-trussed-like-a-pig thing for a moment, if you chose a better angle, got rid of that black background, and picked less hideous lettering, that cover could be salvaged. As it is...gross.

By wisper on Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 02:59 am:

Dude, i told you.
    The inside when you fold it out is all done like the safety pamphlet from an airplane, but with....sex or death jokes or something. I can't remember. I don't have it near me. It's not exactly clever.

BUT WHAT DID YOU THINK OF IT?

i find it so meditative.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 02:16 pm:

I like "Sour Grapes" more than is healthy. (I'll never get over my thing for hellfire-and-brimstone preaching.)

I was disappointed by the new versions of "Rev 22:20" and "The Undertaker" (or whatever it's called, I don't have my ipod with me), because the versions on the "Underworld" soundtrack are so much better.

The first song made me laugh out loud in public.

The others I don't remember very well. Maybe I need to keep it on repeat and flood my synapses with its bouillon of sound.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact