Not for me -- for someone I wrote to re: his website...

sorabji.com: I need advice: Not for me -- for someone I wrote to re: his website...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By R.C. on Wednesday, February 3, 1999 - 12:44 am:

These 2 e-mails pretty much explain it:

>12/13/1998
    >to: thierry@darkwing.uoregon.edu
    >from: RadicalCon@aol.com

> Theirry,

> It's 3:08am & I am DYING for a taste of "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing" -- but there's no soundbite on yr tribute page!!? Can you send me a link to where I can find the audiofiles?

And are you French/as yr name suggests? What's a Frenchman doing @ the Univ. of Oregon?

-R.C.>

Anyway, he responded a few days ago:

>1/28/99
    >to: RadicalCon@aol.com
    >From: thierry@darkwing.uoregon.edu (Thierry >Renoux)

(Editor's note: you must hear this in yr minds as if Gerard Depardieu were reading it...)

>Hi,

>Sorry for answering so late but I was stuck in France (yes I'm French) and I couldn't access my account. My page is still a big mess due to a lack of time and also to a big lack of knowledge in HTML language. So I have some soundbytes there but I need to link them to their respective song, but I don't know how to do it. The thing is that I use an old computer that works only with DOS and to my knowledge there's no HTML editor for DOS.

How I wish I had 10 grands to buy myself a new braille machine that works with Windows, that would make things way easier. You ask what I'm doing in Oregon? Well, I came here with an exchange program and I liked it (although now I'd like to go somewhere else).

>I'm really sorry not to be able to help you more regarding those soundbytes.

Thierry>

So webheads, can you help this guy out? Does anyone remember how to build a site on a DOS- -based computer? And how to link soundfiles to the song titles on his page? You can check out his site here:

Theirry's Page
    or, in case my linkage sucks:
    http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~thierry/wonder/wonder.html

It's pretty simple/but the fact that a blind guy from France dug Stevie so much he created a tribute website -- on a DOS-based pc! -- just
    blows me away. However, it is a well-know fact that I am HTML-impaired/so I can't offer any advice.

And if anyone knows of any links, resources, etc. that offer assistance in obtaining Windows- based computers for the blind, pls. pass the info on to him.

No need to post a response -- you can email
    him here:
    Theirry Renoux

Sincere thanks to all,

(Six sends her thanks as well. She has just informed me that it's past our bedtime/so I must sign off now or face her supreme annoyance)

- R.C.

By Margret on Monday, February 15, 1999 - 02:16 pm:

I don't know how to jump start my life.
    (1) I am over-educated and under-employed, and I have no idea how to make my wierdassed skillset work for me.
    (2) I have sort of realized that as happy as I am in the serious relationship I'm in, I...uh...I don't really think romance should be one of the axes around which I organize my life and I don't honestly care if I ever get married or anything like that. I have ALWAYS been more focused on my friends, and I thought we would all drift into marriages and thus away from each other after college, but even the ONE of us who has married and bred still talks and acts as though our web of friendships was of primacy in her world. And my boyfriend would never understand that the way I feel about the world doesn't diminish what I feel about him. I just don't -- shit -- I totally don't care if I die old and alone and I don't think romantic diplod is the highest and truest form of human communion. And I refuse to be moved by the fact that someone else does believe it and believes I AM THE ONE. And I feel like a heartless heretic.
    (3) I have tremendous guilt about consuming more culture than I produce.

By Agatha on Monday, February 15, 1999 - 02:28 pm:

margret, read "the divine secrets of the ya-ya sisterhood" by rebecca wells. it's about a very good set of friends, you would probably dig it.

why did you choose to post that statement in the section about poor thierry's website? just curious.

By Margret on Monday, February 15, 1999 - 10:07 pm:

uh...stupidity. I wasn't scrolling to the bottom and figuring out I could start a new thread because despite my netizen status I've always avoided message boards and so had no notion how to go about the whole process. heh (cuts eyes to one side like bad dog hearing "that tone of voice").

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact