Money matters, sort of

sorabji.com: I need advice: Money matters, sort of
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Rhiannon on Friday, May 14, 1999 - 01:56 am:

It's like this:

My favorite band, Cop Shoot Cop, broke up very bitterly a few years ago. Now, the drummer, Phil, has his own web page. A few months ago, I find out on his site that he's selling all these extremely rare, extremely desirable demos, singles, etc., all for reasonable prices because he _really wants to get rid of them_. I think, 'ooohhhh, GOTTA get me those.'

But being the lazy ass I am, I don't mail the check ($100, made out in his name) until a few weeks ago. I didn't check the web site before I did (*ominous music swells*).

So, a few days after i mail the check, I check the site and discover to my horror that he's no longer selling anything because apparently, no one was taking him up on his offer. So I send him an email saying, hey wait, yes, I want those things, and the check's in the mail.

So it's been about 3 weeks now, and NO message from him, neither saying tough luck, babe NOR don't worry, the goods are on their way. And the funds haven't been touched. I'm not really worried that he's going to cash the check without delivering said goods, because from what I know about him, he's like the last honest man in the tri-state region. (Though I may be a fool. I'll give you that.)

The problem is, I want him to send me the stuff!

So do I let things go, assuming he's never going to cash the check and I'm never going to get what I wanted?

Or do I send him an email:
    A) begging his records off him?
    B) asking him to send me back the check?
    C) asking him to further explain his attitude toward getting rid of his collection and what I can do about it?
    D) anything else?

Help?

By Agatha on Friday, May 14, 1999 - 02:57 am:

email him again. cop shoots cop were a great band.

By Agatha on Friday, May 14, 1999 - 02:58 am:

that's, cop shoot cop. i must have corrected my grammar without even thinking about it. anyhow, they rawk(ed).

By Rhiannon on Monday, May 17, 1999 - 06:56 pm:

Which option should I email about? I gotta know! I don't want to make a fool of myself in front (?) of him.

And they certainly did rawk. And kick ass. And any other term you can come up with (that = awesome, of course). Now there's Firewater to fulfill our needs, but they're too melodic to really kick ass. Though they sure do come close. I'm seeing them on June 5. Can't wait!

By Agatha on Tuesday, May 18, 1999 - 02:04 am:

email him, and ask him if he got your check. that way, you aren't accusing him of anything, and yet you are restating your desire to get the records. don't know firewater. tired. go bed. night.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, May 18, 1999 - 11:15 am:

Will do.

And you really should check out Firewater. They have a kind of Eastern European vibe happening. Especially their first album, blasphemously titled "Get Off the Cross...We Need the Wood for the Fire." Very good.

By Cyst on Tuesday, May 18, 1999 - 11:43 am:

what do you mean by eastern european vibe?

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, May 18, 1999 - 02:31 pm:

1) They have an instrumental called "The Drunken Jew" that would put any klezmer band to shame.

2) Other songs -- "Bourbon and Division," "When I Burn This Place Down" and "Balalaika" especially -- have a kind of Hungarian (Czech? Romanian?) folk-song sound to them. But they're still very modern and raucous. Also, there's a kind of old lusty drinking song feel.

You can hear sound clips here if you're curious. (Please excuse the cover art if you're sensitive to sacrilege.)

Their second album, "The Ponzi Scheme," doesn't have this feel to it as much.

By Agatha on Tuesday, May 18, 1999 - 11:26 pm:

they sound interesting. i like the guy's voice.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, May 19, 1999 - 09:54 am:

That's Tod Ashley. I don't think I need to repeat what I've already said about him on other places on this board. But in short, I adore him and think he's a genius.

By Gee on Thursday, May 20, 1999 - 04:17 am:

Songs about drunks are always welcome!

By Rhiannon on Friday, May 21, 1999 - 09:59 am:

Damn.

Phil wrote me back saying all his stuff is gone and I should cancel my check.

By Agatha on Friday, May 21, 1999 - 11:52 am:

the bastard. i'll go kick his ass, if you would like.

By Rhiannon on Friday, May 21, 1999 - 12:18 pm:

Whoa!

Nah, that's not necessary. But thanks for the offer.

Besides, he lives in New Jersey. That's punishment enough.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact