I wanna set up a forum like sorabji's for my school...but don't know how

sorabji.com: I need advice: I wanna set up a forum like sorabji's for my school...but don't know how
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Cheeken on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 01:55 pm:

I'm trying to set up a forum like this...i don't like the way the trad. BBS is formatted...but am sortof new to the hole forum/posting/bbs thing, and don't know where to start. I'd like to be able to generally have it be like this one here, except dealing with school issues. Any helpers?

By Nate on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 03:31 pm:

welcome to the hole.

By Cheeken on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 03:55 pm:

yay, i love a good hole now and then.

By Cyst on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 03:56 pm:

go to delphi.com

By Cheeken on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 04:32 pm:

Thanks cyst. Delhpi is a little cluttered and not as customizable as i'd like, though. I love the sheer usability of sorabji's.

By Nate on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 05:05 pm:

mark once told me what software he uses, but i forget what it is.

i believe it was freely available in some form, though.

i wouldn't bug him about it, though. you don't want to see him pissed.

By Cheeken on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 05:13 pm:

so, it's pretty scary, eh?

By Antigone on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 05:24 pm:

I'm writing a chat system similar to this one right now in my (rare) spare time. Want it when I'm done?

By Cheeken on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 05:30 pm:

Absolutely. Does it involve a lot of time? Thanks.

By Cheeken on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 05:32 pm:

writing one, I mean...how time-consuming is is?

By Swine on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 09:28 pm:

By Cheeken on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 10:15 pm:

Thanks swine. I d/l DCForum lite...it looks nice, but defintely need to learn more before I try installing it...sheeesh...and I'm scared that they're all that hard to upload and get going, eh?
    thanks for ya'lls help

By Antigone on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 11:44 pm:

I'll send it to you when I'm done, Cheeken. Any functionality you might like? If so, just e-mail me. I'm going to be writing it in GSP (Gnu Server Pages, a scripting language which uses inline Java...)

By Antigone on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 11:49 pm:

Actually, come to think of it, I'll probably just use servlets. GSP was a bitch to install last time I tried...

By Antigone on Monday, November 8, 1999 - 11:54 pm:

How much time? I could do it in a weekend if I had the whole thing free. Sadly, that doesn't happen often. And my next two weekends (at least) are filled with other programming projects...

By Gee on Tuesday, November 9, 1999 - 12:33 am:

When you're done with that, Antigone, will you knit me some socks? I need some black socks. Someone keeps stealing mine.

By Cheeken on Tuesday, November 9, 1999 - 12:57 am:

I have some socks you can have. They're almost black. thanks antigone!

By pamela on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 01:16 pm:

Antigone, did you ever finish writing that "chat system similar to this one"? If so, I'd be interested in seeing it and possibly using it if that were okay with you.

I emailed Mark last week b/c I am looking for a BBS to use but I just can't stand phpbb or yabb... Mark did give me some really good resources that I will probably end up using if I can't find anything closer to the way sorabji is set up. Speaking of which, I need to thank him... better go do that now.

By Antigone on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:26 pm:

Nope. Didn't finish. It wasn't high on the priority list. :)

By TBone on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 07:55 pm:

I made a kinda crappy one in php.

I'd have to clean it up if you wanted one for your very own. But it works.

By pamela on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 08:25 pm:

Yeah, that would be cool. I haven't got much up on my web site right, but you can go check it out.

I pretty much just want a place like this on there (but craft related). You can e-mail me if you need any info.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact