requiring data on New York..

sorabji.com: I need advice: requiring data on New York..
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Kymical in motion on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 03:08 pm:

i am going to transfer to new york in fall of 2000.
    going to school. having to do it correctly.
    major:photography

problem: raised in texas and scared of the "big city"

are there rad art schools in the city? where is a choice place to live? what is cheap? what is unsafe?
    will people make fun of my accent?
    is there anything i should definately prepare for? (besides the climate?)

help please!!

By Patrick on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 03:17 pm:

yes they will make fun of your accent
    brooklyn seems cheap
    are you currently studying photography?
    I am a photography student as well
    here is my gig
    http://members.tripod.com/accustat
    there are plenty of art schools in NYC if you got the dough
    unsafe is attempting to buy crack in alphabet city (aveneue D ((is for DANGER)) ) at 3am

so i have heard anyway

swine who is a resident can give you more dibs on it though

By Mike on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 05:31 pm:

Hoboken, NJ has affordable apartments too, lots of young folks and you can be in the city in minutes on the PATH train or do you plan to live in a dorm?

I understand Alphabet city is making a comeback of sorts - haven't tried the crack there though

By Rhiannon on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 05:52 pm:

We have family friends who live between Aves. C and D on 7th St. We saw them in October, and it's a nice neighborhood.

On the other hand, there's a Cop Shoot Cop (circa 1994) song that's full of images of decay and degradation, with the line "found ourselves on B and 3rd one more time." This must have been before the renovation.

By Kymmi aka Ultra 7 on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 06:51 pm:

currently i am studying....and i figured i should pay for it. or something like that.

i don't think i am going to live in the dorms. cause i have a friend that is going to be going back to school as well. but i don't know how he going to do it. he doesn't like dorm life that much either but he is trying to go back to Bard.

the dough isn't really an issue. i just have to make a presentation to my parents that they won't get a phone call saying i have been killed or something. (they are small town folk)

though i get told i don't sound like i am from the south. i keep getting told i sound like i am from california.

what are some of the schools?

i am in it for the music and all that mesh honestly.
    which is sad.

By Patrick on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 07:24 pm:

well here are a few links i have found to art specific schools. I am sure I am overlooking some other schools. As far as photography goes, NYC is one of the top places to study, or so they say.
    http://www.schoolofvisualarts.edu/sva.html

http://www.pratt.edu/ad/index.html

http://www.nyaa.edu/

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/arts/

i am doing a photo assignment right now, the pretext is, I am doing a photo essay on Los Angeles for NYC based photo rag, basically I am to educate view photography somethings they may not know about LA.....such as the amazing architecture we have here, everything from modern, to post modern, victorian, baroque and so on........it's turning out to be a great assignment for i am learning a lot about LA i didn't know.

For example, i went to this neighborhood next to mine that has the highest concentration of victorian era homes. It's minutes from downtown, in fact the skyline view for many of these homes is amazing. These 5 or 6 square blocks are situated on the first hill outside of downtown, many east coast people camer here at the turn of the century and they built what they knew from back east, and being newcomers, they all lived next teach other, hence house after house after house of beautiful victorian homes.......the streets are still ined with teh old gas lamps and are absolutely beautiful. We also havealot of historical bridges and overapasses, either connecting the hand full of hills in the echo park downtown area (thats another thing, LA has hills alot like SF too, i live on one!) or crossing the LA river....anyway, if you go to NYC with a camera in tow, you should be able to score real well assuming your drive is there....

By Patrick on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 07:49 pm:

i just noticed your email is for the UK, yet you live in the south?

heh?

By Mike on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 09:39 am:

I think FIT (part of SUNY system?) offers Photography also

By Kymical snapshot on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 06:56 pm:

thank you so much for the help!

i have applied to the CUNY system and i requested info from Pratt as well. i feared those were the closest matches. these others help a lot!!

By Patrick on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 07:58 pm:

so Kym......
    (ahem!)
    "i just noticed your email is for the UK, yet you live in the south?"

heh?

sorry just really really curious

By Kymical on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 08:02 pm:

it is free email and i liked the name...

i am actually in dallas texas. while i have no proof to support this (except my angst) trust me it is so.

persistent aren't we?

By Patrick on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 08:15 pm:

yeah, thanks, i can be a skeptical one

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 08:49 pm:

Hey, our friend Antigone is in Dallas...right, old boy? Maybe he can spank you....though Lord knows he needs one himself for all the trouble he causes around here...

Just kidding

About the spanking part.

By Antigone on Tuesday, November 30, 1999 - 11:14 pm:

Hey! I don't cause trouble... It's all in your head.

Another sorabjite from Texas! I think Droopy is in Ft. Worth.

And I feel angst living in Dallas, Kymical. It's the most blatantly racist and classist city I've ever experienced.

As for spanking... Only if the price is right and I get to bring the peacock feathers.

By Kymmi on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 12:01 am:

whoa...

all this time i thought that people that interested me lived in other cities!

what a nice surprise..

By mistaswine on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 12:30 am:

1. NYC will:

a) make you rich
    b) make you famous
    c) chew you up and spit you out

2. if NYC does not spit you out, it will:

a) make you rich
    b) make you famous
    c) keep right on chewing

3. when NYC is through with you, you will look like:

a) a movie star
    b) a millionaire
    c) a bloody chunk of throbbing gristle

4. if you want to be safe, you should live in:

a) manhattan
    b) queens
    c) nebraska
    d) staten island
    e) the bronx
    f) brooklyn

5. when moving to NYC, one should prepare to be:

a) ostracized
    b) euthanized
    c) sodomized
    d) all the above

use only #2 pencils and make sure to completely fill the selection circle without marking outside of the lines. failure to comply will result in 30 minutes in the cage playing "fit the big peg in the little hole" with bubba the love monkey.
    bubba likes the little hole.

assume the position and begin.

By Gee on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 03:16 am:

I like Dallas. The TV show, not the city. Don't know anything about the city. I miss JR.

By J on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 11:44 am:

Antigone,you have never been to West Virginia.I,ll spank anyone,man, woman,beast.I,ll whip them too,I,ll whip them good.I,ve been through Texas many times,not a pretty drive.

By J on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 11:49 am:

Oh,Kymmi,they will make fun of your accent,try to lose it,I,m from the south so I had one,and just cause of your accent,for some reason people think your stupid just because of how you sound,I don,t like it,but that,s how it is.

By Rhiannon on Saturday, December 11, 1999 - 08:18 pm:

I just read this in a record review and thought I'd share:

"The East Village itself is a cheaper, tougher SoHo--a lot of Ukrainian immigrants and struggling artists, but very little street violence. Unfortunately, the Village borders Alphabet City to the east and, after nightfall, Alphabet City is a no man's land of punk-rock gangs, anarchists, junkies, burned-out squats and crack dealers who like to shoot one another in the knee over who gets to sling rock on a given corner. Seriously, you'd see all these crack dealers with gimp legs. I guess the logic was that it's better to just blow off some guy's kneecap and put him out of commission for a while than kill him and risk a murder rap.

In any case, I heard too many shots for comfort coming from Alphabet City, and every once in a while some bullshit from Avenue A or B would spill over into my neighborhood. The worst was one steamy night in July, when some guy got shot in the elementary school basketball court across from where I lived. He got hit in the back of the legs with a single shotgun blast as he was running across the court. I didn't see it, but I heard the boom and went to my window in time to see this poor bastard slowly writhing his way toward the chain-link gate, trailing a dark slick of blood behind him. A sedan was idling on the opposite street. I was afraid someone would get out and finish him off, but the people in the car just shouted taunts for a minute or so, then sped away. I'm pretty sure the people at the outside tables of the renowned Italian bakery nearby had time to finish their cannoli before the ambulance arrived."

By JusMiceElf on Sunday, December 12, 1999 - 01:37 pm:

Well, my sis is very happily ensconced in a loft in Dumbo (Down Under the Manattan Bridge). It seems to be a good area for people priced out of SoHo. It's not nearly as bustling as Manhattan, or the hipper parts of Brooklyn (Park Slope, etc.), but it's convenient to both. And she truly is down under the bridge...like a block or two away, and you can see it right from her door. I'll hafta get down again next year and explore the neighborhood a bit. Most of my experience is around the East Village or uptown. I've ventured tentatively around the edges of Alphabet City, but not at three in the morning. There used to be a great bar and a couple of cool cafes on St Mark's between first and avenue A. They've long since closed, but last time I was there, there was a very cool little creperie, run by a youngish French ex-pat. Mmmmmmm crepes.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact