what language is this?

sorabji.com: I need advice: what language is this?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By cyst on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 10:53 pm:

"VARNING: VARM FYLLNING"

it's from the back of a paper container for a mcdonald's apple pie I bought in prague in 1994.

it's not czech. it's not english.

I scanned it in today. along with some photos of me with clothes on. in case I ever need them handy.

http://homepages.msn.com/DownsizeDr/hallter/photos3.html

By Moonit on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 10:59 pm:

is phonetic the word I'm looking for? when you spell things as they are said?
    or is that something else? have i worked to long today and my mind has gone to mush? yes. yes it has

By Isolde on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 11:01 pm:

Looks like Dutch...or Pidgin English?

By cyst on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 11:05 pm:

it's not dutch.

it's just fucking weird.

By droopy on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 11:39 pm:

it's swedish.

By mistaswine on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 09:33 am:

it's "warning: warm filling" in a cheap german accent.

By droopy on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 11:52 am:

swedish.

no shit.

By Mk on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 12:35 pm:

I'd såy Swedish or Dånish no?

By MapleLeaf on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 01:20 pm:

How about Norwegian or Finnish?

By droop on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 01:52 pm:

i'm working off these cookbooks i have. one is danish and one is swedish - anything filled or stuffed in the swedish book is "med fyllning", in the danish one it's "fyldte". (with filling or filled).

it's possible it could also be danish or norwegian, but my money's on swedish. it wouldn't be finnish - isn't that in a different language group?

By Mike on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 02:02 pm:

Next question is what are Swedish pie covers and doing in Czechoslovakia?

By droopy on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 02:47 pm:

czech republic.

it's probably too much trouble to make covers with "warning warm filling" in czech - how many mcdonald's could there possibly be there? they probably have pie covers and boxes and holders in every language, excess stock from western europe.

is my life so meaningless that this fascinates me?

By Mike on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 03:03 pm:

Czech Rep formed in 1993 - my bad - thanks

By Sarah on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 04:58 pm:

Mike? who is this Mike...

By Murkas on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 07:22 pm:

Finnish is in the Finno-Ugrian family, along with Estonian, Karelian, and Magyar (Hungarian).

By cyst on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 08:12 pm:

when I moved there at the start of 1994, there were three mcdonald's restaurants in prague. when I left at the end of the year, there were six.

the tray mats were always in czech.

By LOL on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 12:15 am:

I think it belong to the language of People Park of Republic. well it says, "warning Warm Filling"

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact