A Few Questions

sorabji.com: I need advice: A Few Questions
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Gee on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 01:11 am:

I just have a couple of questions:

Is a cherry a berry? Because I really feel that if it isn't, it should be.

What's a really scarey movie? Not campy scarey, but really actually scarey.

Is a slut someone who's had a lot of partners, or someone who likes to try really kinky things (maybe something involving cats and dogs)?

can someone suggest some online places I might order a really hard to find CD? I tried to think of some, but the only one I could think of was amazon. and mediaplay is in the states. I don't mind if it's in the states. I could use many suggestions here.

By droopy on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 01:40 am:

i don't think a cherry is considered a fruit. like a really small plum or something. but you call it a berry, dammit.

movies never scare me. "eraserhead" disturbed me.

if it is your choice to do the kinky stuff and you maintain your self-respect, then put on that teddy, grab a couple of household pets, and have at.

one place to look for cd's

By MapleLeaf on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 11:42 am:

A Canadian site for cds is www.cdplus.com and they also have a bunch of retail outlets around southern Ontario.

By Patrick on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 11:57 am:

your local record shop is a good place to find rare and eclectic items. Not your generic chain place in the mall either. If I recall you live in and around Toronto. Toronto is a big city, i bet they have some great record stores there. Plus it's actually fun to get out and interact with others.

i don't identify with the word slut.

i don't eat cherries

wow, sorry i couldn't be of more help

By Patrick on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 11:58 am:

oh, and a really scary movie for me was the very original Amityville Horror, not the one with James Brolin, the one prior to that in which the brother goes and bblows his family away with a shotgun and has sex with his sister....funny, all the video places i know seemed to have misplaced that version

By heather on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 12:10 pm:

films that scare me are 'reality' ones. like those films that depict actual deaths (though to be honest i haven't seen any- just stills). even newsreels- i just saw one about africa that was horrifying. in real life people do scary things.

a slut is someone that lacks respect for themselves regardless of what they do.

By J on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 12:15 pm:

Or lacks respect for others,like knowing they have STD and fucking someone anyway,giving somebody something they won,t like,but what does a slut care?

By Patrick on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 12:33 pm:

i tend to refer to those people as assholes and criminals

By mistaswine on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 12:33 pm:

"gotta love them whores, they never judge ya.
    i mean what can ya say when you're a whore?"

-perry farrell

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 03:30 pm:

*A cherry is not a berry.

*I think the whole "Twin Peaks" series is the scariest thing I've ever seen. Episode 14 scares the pants off me. I still can't believe they showed it on network TV. It wasn't that gory, but it was extremely disturbing.

*You still hung up on the kinky thing, Gee?

*http://www.soundcity2000.com

By AKA on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 03:38 pm:

I remember that Amityville movie...incest is always disturbing...
    Movies in general dont scare me, startle maybe, but no genuine fear.
    Books scare me more because what my imagination can come up with is alot worse that what hollywood can.

By Patrick on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 03:43 pm:

i realized now, it was actually the second film. i preferred it much more than the first. I read the book and was equally freaked. and the fact that most of it is true, at least parts 1 & 2 are anyway...that freaks me even more.....

hey spider does kink have a palce in your life?

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 03:45 pm:

What do you mean?

What do you mean by kink, and what do you mean by a place in my life?

By agatha on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 04:42 pm:

cherries are fruit, not berries.

i have found everything i have ever needed to find musically on either ebay, cdnow, or amazon. there are also two great record stores here in olympia, so between the five i have been pretty well set.

"gothic" was pretty frightening, so was "the hunger."

i rarely if ever use the word slut. if i did, it would probably be for a woman who used sex maliciously, for example a woman who habitually likes to break up relationships just to have that drama in her life. i rarely come into contact with very many sluts. actually, i tend to refer to men as sluts much more frequently than women.

By mistaswine on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 04:51 pm:

Main Entry: cher·ry
    Pronunciation: 'cher-E
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural cherries
    Etymology: Middle English chery, from Old North French cherise (taken as a plural), from Late Latin ceresia, from Latin
    cerasus cherry tree, from Greek kerasos
    Date: 14th century
    1 a : any of numerous trees and shrubs (genus Prunus) of the rose family that bear pale yellow to deep red or blackish
    smooth-skinned drupes enclosing a smooth seed and that include some cultivated for their fruits or ornamental flowers --
    compare SWEET CHERRY b : the fruit of a cherry c : the wood of a cherry
    2 : a variable color averaging a moderate red
    3 a : HYMEN b : VIRGINITY
    - cher·ry·like /-"lIk/ adjective

Main Entry: 1ber·ry
    Pronunciation: 'ber-E
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural berries
    Etymology: Middle English berye, from Old English berie; akin to Old High German beri berry
    Date: before 12th century
    1 a : a pulpy and usually edible fruit (as a strawberry, raspberry, or checkerberry) of small size irrespective of its structure b :
    a simple fruit (as a currant, grape, tomato, or banana) with a pulpy or fleshy pericarp c : the dry seed of some plants (as
    wheat)
    2 : an egg of a fish or lobster

so there you have it.

a cherry can be a berry, too.

By Patrick on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:03 pm:

Spider, general question. I am curious how a devoted catholic deals with sexual desires. Do you ever find yourself thinking things the pope would poop his robe over? Do you confess these things. (i.e. "dear father i must confess last night i had fantasies of being spanked by a tall woman with a leather chaps while......")

what is kink to you?

is there a place (for your definition of kink) in your life, as a catholic?

i would not be a good catholic.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:24 pm:

I'm not a good Catholic either.

Oh, man, you don't know what you're asking. I have to go have dinner now, but I'll answer you when I come back.

By heather on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:29 pm:

a cherry can't be a berry because it's not simple-

it has a pit

(and a lot of complicated psychological problems stemming from being in the rose family)

stemming was not meant to be a pun.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 07:14 pm:

I don't feel like answering in detail. Suffice it to say that until I was 19 I thought all sex was disgusting and demeaning and I would vehemently deny *ever* thinking about that kind of filthy stuff. Of course, I did think about that kind of stuff, and I felt very guilty and gross about it. (I think this had lots to do with my anxiety attacks in school.)

Now I've swung in the opposite direction (and, sadly, it has nothing to do with any of you). I think now I'm pretty much like any non-Catholic in terms of what's considered healthy and normal and appropriate. But, in terms of what the Catholic church approves of, I'm too liberal. Hence my "not a good Catholic" statement.

Plus, I haven't been to church since Jan. 16. I feel sorry for my confessors, who are no doubt bored by the fact that I confess the same things every time. But we can't all be exciting murderers.

What is kink to a devout Catholic? I would say everything other than missionary-style sexual intercourse. What is kink to me? Things involving pain and animals and excreted bodily fluids and things of that nature.

The Church's official position is that sex is intended to unite people together (which is why it's sinful to have casual sexual encounters) and to procreate children (which is why birth control and oral sex and things like that are forbidden). But, the Church also says we are to listen to and obey our own consciences. And I figure that God isn't quite as uptight as a lot of people make Him/Her/It out to be, and if I have impure thoughts he's not going to smite me.

Does that answer your question? Anything else you'd like to know?

By Patrick on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 07:25 pm:

i think so.

oh yeah.....one more thing

why don't you ditch the church and head out west sister......let nate show you a few things, then come down to LA, and we'll revel in your new found freedom as a full fledged hell-bound, guilt-free sinner?

eh?

Angry Sam is a PA native, you can call on him when you miss home.......

By Jina on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 07:56 pm:

Is anyone here an artist? When is it okay to sell?

I like them a lot. And this kid wants to buy both of them. They don't even have anything in common. But they're both monoprints. The only two I've done this quarter. I love doing them. He liked the style. One entitled Apathy and other Gunman #1. (I was thinking of maybe doing more gunmen later. I like counter-culture as a subject.)

He asked me what I had going on behind the one titled Apathy.Geez, what to say. I had something, but it wasn't easy to express in words. It didn't even sound great in words. I like art more than writing.

"Uhm, it's the stereotypical slacker I spose and I used that to represent the emotion. You know? But wait, what do you like about it?"

He almost looks like the face that I did for it. And it's just a face with a dark background, slightly Picasso-ish, with a frayed cigarette hanging out his mouth. It's very cool. He wants to put both together on his wall. I hope he frames them, or something. To put them up like posters would kill me, they're my most powerful ones. The Gunman #1 is of a British guy in a suit holding a machine gun, like the gangsters back in the 60's, with the background streaked quite nicely. You gotta keep in mind that this is just ink smeared around, on a thick sheat of plastic. So I wouldn't be able to duplicate these. I might take them to Kinky's and get them color-copied before I handed them over. I'll scan them and show you. I was thinking maybe $30 a piece.

By Dougie on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 07:59 pm:

I'm not a good Methodist. I never go to church. We don't have confessors -- we can talk to God ourselves without help of an intermediary, yet I rarely do. I find that the Lord is usually busy with other souls when I try to talk to him, which is cool, I can wait my turn. So oftentimes, I forget to even try to talk to him. And then I play catch up, and talk to him a lot. I ask for forgiveness for my dalliances, and ask that he look over my loved ones, keep them safe and happy and warm and fuzzy. Makes me feel better.

By agatha on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 08:21 pm:

it's always okay to sell, unless you don't want to sell them. you can always make them again, or some reasonable facsimile of them. at that point, i would say it was not okay to sell, because you are attempting to duplicate something that you have already sold for profit. this is only my opinion, and not the opinion of the art world. the art world would probably say to sell whatever you can. printmaking is a funny deal, because the whole point of it is to make images that can be duplicated. that is why i don't really like to do monoprints. they strike me as cheating, from a pure printmaking perspective. when i was nineteen and twenty, i only wanted to do monoprints. now, i can't bring myself to make them anymore at all. they just don't seem inspired to me. they aren't enough work. hope this helps, but i suspect it won't. you can do whatever you want, that's the whole point of art and why there are so many damn art critics around.

By Fetidbeaver on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 09:06 pm:

If 4 out of 5 people suffer from diarrhea, does that mean one of them enjoys it?

By cyst on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 09:56 pm:

when agatha said she was nineteen and twenty, I thought she meant when she was 39.

like "when I was one and twenty, I gave my heart away" or however that goes.

By Isolde on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 11:09 pm:

no.
    A really wird hungarian movie I saw once. Forget the name.
    Someone who has no self-respect and cheats.
    Local record store.

By JusMiceElf on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 12:20 am:

I'm a bad Jew. I have a tattoo. And I haven't been to shul since high holidays n '98. And I eat sausage.

By JusMiceElf on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 12:24 am:

Are there any Hungarian movies that are *not* weird??? I took a course in East European film back in college, and I don't know whether it was the selection our prof chose, or the state of Hungarian cinema in general, but most of the movies were freakin bizzare. Comparatively, the Polish and Czech films seemed pretty normal. The most wacked out films were probably those by Miclos Jansco, which had really strange narrative structure. One of his movies, Elektreia, he did in like eight or nine shots, each averaging about nine minutes. Technichally interesting, but very odd.

By droopy on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 12:30 am:

i saw a show on pbs last night where they proved by genetic testing that a tribe in zimbabwe called the lemba are one of the lost hebrew tribes.

and they're good jews, too.

By Gee on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 02:20 am:

I say it's a berry. If droppy and Swine both tell me I can call it a berry, then I'm calling it a berry, by yimminy.

what kind of scarey movies are these? I want to be scared! I want to look away! I want to squirm and have nightmares! People!

Thanks for the links, but none of those websites helped me find what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any others? My local record stores (which were my first stop) haven't given me squat. I'll tell you what I'm looking for. It's a tribute album to Joni Mitchell. It's called "Back to the Garden". I did see it on eBay, but I was outbid and I'm not willing to pay over fifty bucks US (aprox. 85-100 cdn) for one little CD.

I also have another two questions:

Aside from potatos and mayo, what's the best thing to put in potato salad?

Do you think there's such a thing as love at first sight? Not the kind where someone deludes themselves into thinking they're in love, but the kind where they're Actually In Love.

By agatha on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 02:26 am:

boiled eggs, fresh cracked black pepper, a little mustard, red onion or little green onions.

no.

By Nelly on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 03:51 am:

the recipe on the Hellman's label is impeccable. Celery, onions, sweet pickle relish but not too much, eggs, mayo.

yes.

By Margret on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 09:10 am:

Dill pickles cubed small, or black olives sliced lengthwise.

Total absolute nonsense.

And my two scariest movies are: An American Werewolf in London and Nightmare on Elmstreet (the original).

By The Dinner Lady on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 10:32 am:

If you would like to see Ursula Andress sing Hungarian opera in a movie you should enjoy the horrible Cremaster 5, one of the 5 Cremaster movies by some American artist guy (Matthew Barney?). Nice to look at impossible to understand.

I would put onion, egg, celery, potatoes, mayo, salt, pepper, and mustard in potato salad.

There is no such thing as love at first sight - only lust. But that can get you a long way. Since I figure you need to know someone very well to deeply love them warts and all it seems improbable you could know enough about them off the bat.

By Markus on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 11:16 am:

Nelly's got it pretty close, but I would add a little sweet grainy mustard in there. The type of potato can make a difference; go with firm reds. And lose the celery. Celery is an utterly useless weed, the extermination of which from the known solar system I have made my life's work. Besides being tasteless and of disagreeable texture, it requires more energy to chew than it provides. It's just plain dangerous leaving something like that around.

Hell no.

By mistaswine on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 11:25 am:

pffffft.

i totally believe in love at first site.

i mean, damn.

just look at this hottie.

By Nate on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 11:26 am:

no mayo.

goddamnit.

vinegar. bacon. onions.

these go into potato salad.

By Patrick on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 11:42 am:

eggs are bad for potato salad. HERETICS!!!! yuck!!!! eggs fucking smell!!
    pickle relish? olives? what the fuck! thats potato abuse.....keep it simple.......

try this for potato salad. red potatos, small amounts of mayo, plain yogurt, and DILL salt and pepper to taste.......the best fucking potato salad in the world......

Jina, pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a monoprint? Computer aided b&w print?
    What is the medium?

If you sell, you have to decide if you will make more, if you do, you should number it. If you plan to seek sales in the future, you price your prints accordingly. Print 1/20 being cheaper than
    18/20. Honestly, i don't number my prints, in fact i "number" my prints 1 out of infinity, using the inifinity symbol found on a camera lense, a horizontal 8. As long as I am alive, i will custom make prints for just about whomever. Price can be tough. I have a hard time asking alot from my friends and models i shoot. Just last night i sold a model an 11x14 print, window matted 16x20, museum quality rag board and one extra 11x14 print for $20. Now the cheap price was mainly due to her exchange for modeling time.
    But it was enough t cover my bare costs, i sold my labor and craft for nothing.
    Is your print matted? mounted? I would say if this guy is a complete stranger, ask high. If it's a friend, think how much you could spare for a print at this point in your life and charge that. This policy seem sto work for me.

By J on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 11:42 am:

Thats German potatoe salad Nate.

By Nate on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 11:45 am:

uber alles!

By Hrothgar on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 12:01 pm:

kartoffelsalat med surflode

8 cups cooked diced potatoes
    1 cup diced cucumber
    1 tbsp minced onion
    3/4 tsp celery seeds
    1 tsp salt
    *(or use celery salt)
    1/2 tsp white pepper
    3 hard boiled eggs
    1 1/2 cup sour cream
    1 cup mayo
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1 tsp dry mustard

garnish with chives or parsley or paprika or pimiento strips or any combination thereof.

By Markus on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 12:13 pm:

No celery salt, damn it! Haven't we learned anything? You can't flirt with the devil and expect to come out with a righteous side dish.

By Patrick on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 12:19 pm:

im with ya on the celery tip markus

By Hrothgar on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 12:22 pm:

Righteous Smighteous. Celery salt makes everything taste better. The Thanes can't do without it.

Don't make me sic Beowulf on yer ass.

By Markus on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 12:28 pm:

If memory serves, my girl did a number on his headbone.

Speaking of which, anybody read any of the new Seamus Heaney translation yet?

By droopy on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 12:35 pm:

i heard him reading some of it last night on the bbc worldservice. he'll be doing it again tonight at 2:20 my time (08:20 GMT). it's a 4-part thing.

By Markus on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 01:02 pm:

How does it compare with previous efforts? 0320 is a bit late for me on a work night. I'll have to see if the library has it yet and do a side by side reading with my copies.

What's with the recent surge of ancient epics translations? Someone's always taking a whack at Homer, but Gilgamesh is suddenly hot as well. I predict Spenser and the Elder Edda in the upcoming year.

By agatha on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 01:06 pm:

monoprint=one print. you cannot number monoprints, because each print is unique. monoprints are basically where you apply ink directly to a piece of plexiglass, and then run it through a press with paper. the ink on the plexi transfers on to the paper. monoprint is born. a monotype, however, is when you use a process that can be reproduced in multiples together with something that makes that particular print unique. for example, if you print an etching, and then hand paint sections of it. or, if you collage something different on to each paper, and then print an etching, woodblock, linoleum block, or lithograph over it.

i'm sure this is boring the pants off of all of you, except for maybe jina.

By The Dinner Lady on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 01:18 pm:

I'm glad that potato salad can get such response. This board is so unnervingly wholesome sometimes.

Oh yes I like.

By Markus on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 01:40 pm:

The Great Potato Salad Wars - rivalling the hammer and tongs battles in the time of the Nameless One.

CELERY IS STALKING ME
    CELERY IS STALKING ME
    CELERY IS STALKING ME
    CELERY IS STALKING ME
    CELERY IS STALKING ME

By droopy on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 01:43 pm:

well, markus - no great scholar am i on translations of beowulf. i am looking at an old 1938 college english book with a translation of it by a man named spaeth. the part i heard last night (which i'd just happened on to, half-way through, while i was fighting insomnia) was wealtheow's speech, i think.

all that i can tell you is that it had a more modern feel - downplaying the heroic declamations for something that sounded a little more human. a lot of it had to do with seamus heaney's quiet, sad old irish voice - he sounded more like he was relating the story than just reciting it. this is all is all just my impression - but i give him credit for wringing as much of a sense of the characters as he could out of the text.

you know, on cursory friggin' examination.

By moonit on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 06:04 pm:

Weight Watchers potato salad

6 medium red skinned potatoes, cut into 2cm cubes
    30g lean bacon
    2 sticks celery, diced
    250g Weight Watchers Cottage Cheese
    cup light sour cream
    2 tbsp skim milk
    2 tsp wholegrain mustard
    2 tsp fresh chives, chopped

Boil or microwave potatoes until just tender and allow to cool.
    Grill bacon, cool and slice into thin strips. Combine with potatoes and celery.
    To make dressing, process cottage cheese, light sour cream and skim milk in a blender until smooth. Stir in mustard and chives.
    Fold dressing through potato mixture and chill until required.

Serves 4:
    3 * POINTS

Yum.

And yes to love at first sight.

I mean you can really dislike someone at first sight too.

People are mean and judgemental sometimes.

By semillama on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 06:32 pm:

I'm a bad SubGenius.

I haven't killed "Bob" yet. I've only got about 20 "bobbie" souls stashed under my bed. I've only performed two short duration marriages, and I've tithed less than$200 to the Church. I've never made it to a Devival either. It's been a while since I spoke in tongues or performed a Smiting as well.

By Patrick on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 07:00 pm:

why do you go along with that stuff anyway sem?

By Markus on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 07:13 pm:

"2 sticks celery, diced"

I can see my work is cut out for me. Why must you people mock the truth so?

By Jina on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 07:22 pm:

Thanks Agatha. I like the infinity idea too Patrick.

I'm going to sell the Apathy one. I basically have a backup blueprint of both if I want to do them again. He wants to know if there'll be a Gunman #2, and I want create one, but my motivation's been shot lately. So blah dee blah.

By Dougie on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 07:33 pm:

You ever get that nasty potato salad at a deli -- that crap they serve you with a sandwich in a 1/2 oz. cup? What the fuck is that all about? Does ANYBODY ever eat that stuff, let alone enjoy it? And how that fishy smelling cole slaw you get at the deli?

Real potato salad is russets boiled al dente and cooled, lots of Hellman's, lots of red onions, a couple of hard boiled eggs, lots of salt, and lots of cracked pepper and tobasco, served very cold. End of story. No bacon, no olives, pimentos, pickles, relish. Leave those on the side for the those who want to ruin I mean mix them into their own potato salad.

By crimson on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 09:23 pm:

ALL potato salad is the work of satan. how can people EAT that stuff, anyway? *shudder*

doesn't mattter whose recipe is used, the shit's toxic.

friends don't let friends eat potato salad.

By moonit on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 09:40 pm:

I dont like celery either so I wouldnt put it in Marcus. But Gee might like it.

Following recipes exactly is just plain wrong.

By Gee on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 06:28 am:

I object to this blatant celery bashing. I love celery. It's my favorite veg after the potato.

If I have too, I'll shove celery down your throats until you love it too.

I would like to hear more on the "love at first sight" thing. Youse guys have a way of answering the deeper questions with yes/no, as if it's really that simple. It's not that simple to me. I tend not to believe in it, but I'm pretty sure it happened to me once.

By Spider on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 07:54 am:

No love at first sight. Attraction at first sight, lust at first sight, "who *is* that guy? I have to meet him!" at first sight, but no love.

Love involves a deep bond between people, a willingness to put them before yourself, knowing them really well and caring for them despite the things you don't like about them. You can't get that at first sight.

In my opinion.

By Patrick on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 11:48 am:

it takes years to experience LOVE.

("When i say i'm in love, you bess beleive i mean love L.U.V.-Ian Z.)

AFter being with my wife for going on 7 years, after many bumpy roads, all of our experiences and trials and errors....we are just now truly truly experiencing love....

a psych teach once lectured us about this....in high school...he said...."you think you guys know love?!?!?!?! You don't know shit.....you go on afew dates, feel each other up, who knows, maybe you get her knocked up, she screws you under the bleachers, whatever the hell it is you kids do on your free time, you think thats love? You don't know anything, try being with someone for 10 years, THEN and only THEN do you realize LOVE!!!!!!"

this statement and lecture staid with me for this long, and it's true.

lust, at first sight....you bet!

crimson, you commie, how can you not like potato salad. You reject thy spuds??????

By crimson on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 12:14 pm:

guilty as charged...i'm a potato salad hating commie. i just hate the stuff. always have. i've tried a bazillion different versions of potato salad & have loathed every one of them. german potato salad? southern potato salad? ANY potato salad? sorry, it all fucking blows. far more noble things can be done w/ potatoes.

& there's no love at first sight. brain-crushing, groin-melting lust, definitely. but not true love.

By Nate on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 12:14 pm:

footass.mpg

need i say more?

By semillama on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 12:34 pm:

Potatoes must be hot to be consumed.

Patrick: How can I NOT go along with that stuff? It's perfectly suited to my sense of humor/worldview.

By agatha on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 12:55 pm:

potato salad rules. celery is awesome raw, but not so great cooked. i like celery and peanut butter. as far as love at first site, what rhiannon and patrick said works for me.

By Nate on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 01:27 pm:

celery peanutbutter and mayo.

By Markus on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 01:54 pm:

Seek help.

By heather on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 02:32 pm:

'I dont like celery either so I wouldnt put it in Marcus' (moonit)

the thing about love is that you can't tell someone that they don't know about love.

it's different for everyone.

if they haven't been there they don't know.

and it seems like a lot of people just don't get it.

as far as love at first sight- i've had incredible connections at first sight, but patrick's right in that it takes years (and, i would argue, pain) to really see and feel it.

By Markus on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 05:25 pm:

Yes, I noticed that, and I'm grateful to Moonit.

Though I'm starting to know how Margret feels about spelling.

By moonit on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 11:57 pm:

My humble apologies Markus

I cant spell for shit anyway

By Nelly on Saturday, February 26, 2000 - 12:00 am:

waiting for the potatoes to cool, so I can make potato salad. Already chopped the celery and the onion. Nice, erect, crispy, green, invigorating, virtuous, zippy celery.

the thing about potato salad is it has to be fresh, and there has to be enough onion, and enough salt. One night in the refrigerator is perfect for melding the flavors, although I like it just a couple hours after putting it in there - just chilled. After the second night it's still palatable. After that it gets watery, toss it.

the Mrs. Kinser stuff from the supermarket is an abomination because no one can make decent potato salad that lasts longer than two days.

potato salad is probably not on the high protein diet, but it is an excellent thing for older people who have lost their real teeth.

By Isolde on Saturday, February 26, 2000 - 12:16 am:

Potato salad is effing disgusting. *shudders*
    Celery rocks.

By droop on Saturday, February 26, 2000 - 12:55 am:

i used to know a girl named mikal who made a mean potato soup.

By Daniel SSSS on Saturday, February 26, 2000 - 01:33 pm:

o god, butter, cream, leeks, red potatoes, garlic more butter, cream, leeks, more potatoes, more butter, a dash of white pepper, a pinch of ... I could get excited. Great ingredients made great food when made in the spirit and by the hands of love. O I getting all mushy here.

"Celery, Celery! have you seen my wisk, the big one???" I agree it takes years to perfect the recipe, but a little extemporaneous cooking never hurt. Remember: too many cooks make a messy kitchen.

By heather on Saturday, February 26, 2000 - 03:34 pm:

it was more about 'putting the celery in markus' than misspelling his name

By Isolde on Saturday, February 26, 2000 - 11:28 pm:

Yeah. That was kind of funny.

By Daniel SSSS on Sunday, February 27, 2000 - 01:29 pm:

Oh. And I thought "celery" was a lustful thing.

"and it seems like a lot of people ... who have lost their real teeth ... just don't get it".

Or something to that effect. Love at first bite, salt optional.

By Jeeves on Sunday, February 27, 2000 - 02:49 pm:

wish sssomebody would give attributions to those quotes.

speaking of unattributed quotes, someone whose job it is to find these things out is looking for who wrote:

"All order is local and temporary."

it sounds like a real quote. but none of the usual search engines has ever heard of it. have you?

By Kalliope on Sunday, February 27, 2000 - 03:54 pm:

i really don't need to be back on here, but what the hell.

a cherry isn't a berry, it's a fruit. i deem it so and it's true.

when i was little, my stepmother used to cut up turnips in long thing squares and pass em off as "carrott hearts".

if i ever have children, they're doomed.

By Isolde on Sunday, February 27, 2000 - 11:25 pm:

It is a fruit, because it grows on a tree. I think. Anyway. Um...someone who actually remembers biology class? Anyone?

By Daniel SSSHHHhhh on Sunday, February 27, 2000 - 11:26 pm:

the above misappropriated quotes are from Heather and Nelly. The Local and Temporary Order idea may have been from Einstein, or Jung, or Charleston Heston. Al thought that time was a function of space, and that order was something done to a sandwich. CH ate the sandwich and Jung chiseled the waitress in stone. Or something like that.

By J on Monday, February 28, 2000 - 09:08 am:

I never ate potatoe salad,mashed potatoes,or baked potatoes till I was 19,only french fries and hash browns,now I like them all.I don,t like okra or yams.The Dutch make an incredible potatoe salad with beets,eggs,onions and potatoes,it,s really good.

By Margret on Monday, February 28, 2000 - 09:29 am:

Check local and temporary against M. Foucault. Probably isn't him, but it sounds like him in one of his more hopeful moments.

By droppings on Monday, February 28, 2000 - 03:23 pm:

i think you'd be more likely to find that quote coming from the physicist jean bertrand foucault than from michel foucault. it's sounds more like a scientific thesis than a philosophical observation.

i say this because it sounds like it's referring to entropy - a concept i'm a little vague on, but ah kin tell ya what i know: entropy is the tendency of matter towards randomness (or the measure thereof). it's based on the first two laws of thermodynamics - 1. energy can't be created or destroyed, and the amount of it in the universe remains constant. 2. energy spontaneously tends to flow from concentrated (organized) states to being diffused and spread out.

so, the law of the universe is that all things are degrading. it's like this:

you have a glass of water and an ice cube (or half-moon like my ice-maker makes or whatever the hell your freezer makes) - two forms of water in different states of entropy, ice low and liquid higher.

you drop the ice cube into the water, making a glass of water with a local instance of high order or low entropy. the heat from the water moves into the ice and begins to break down its integrity by speeding up its molecules. after a while you go back and the cube is melted, but the water is cold. the order that was once local has now spread out into the entire system and lowered the entropy of all the water a little.

but it doesn't end there. the heat from the room warms the water and it eventually becomes warm water. furthermore, it is also breaking down - evaporating - into the water vapor in the air.

it's sort of like we're constantly being digested by the universe.

By Margret on Monday, February 28, 2000 - 03:46 pm:

well, then, maybe it was Barry Commoner. He bases a politics loosely on the laws of thermodynamics, or summat like that (haven't read it in a long time).
    I dunno.
    Still sounds like something Michel Foucault might say, maybe in his essay on Kant and the idiocy of universal values.

By semillama on Monday, February 28, 2000 - 05:56 pm:

Digested by the UNIVERSE?

We should be so lucky.

By Isolde on Monday, February 28, 2000 - 08:01 pm:

I get digested by God every morning before I wake up, don't you?

By Gee on Tuesday, February 29, 2000 - 01:02 am:

that beach boys mini-series was SO BORING. good God was it boring. Thank my mother for four hours of my life that I'll never get back. oh man was that bad.

Lately I've been feeling pretty dull myself. It's so hard to be interesting when you're shy.

By Boob Tuber on Tuesday, February 29, 2000 - 08:56 am:

ONE POTATO
    TWO POTATOES
    THREE POTATOES
    MORE
    OI!

By Margret on Tuesday, February 29, 2000 - 11:25 am:

Well, Gee, it could be worse. You could have been spending quality time with your maternal parent watching "The 10th Kingdom," as I have been. Suck it up, at least you got Pet Sounds.

By Margret on Tuesday, February 29, 2000 - 11:28 am:

Also, I have been doing research into the scary movie question.
    Candyman was a little scary, but not a lot.

By agatha on Tuesday, February 29, 2000 - 03:26 pm:

isn't a cherry a droupe? is that the correct way to spell it?

By heather on Tuesday, February 29, 2000 - 09:02 pm:

a drupe

almonds too

By Gee on Wednesday, March 1, 2000 - 12:12 am:

Candyman was campy-scary.

More questions:

The clock on my computer is slow. How can such a thing be? How can I fix it, aside from putting it ahead everytime I notice it. I want a permanent fix!

How can you tell when a character in greek myth is a god or not? I wonder about Skylla and Charybdis in "The Odyssey". I asked my humanities professor this and he told me the question was too complex. I pressed him and eventually he settled on No.

Markus, you're the one who really liked the odyssey, aren't you? Do you think that it took Odysseus so long to get home because of the gods, or because of his character? Elaborate (sp).

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, March 1, 2000 - 12:29 am:

By cyst on Wednesday, March 1, 2000 - 09:37 am:

I went to my parents' house monday night and turned on the tv while waiting for the last load to dry.

I watched the part where brian was being a jerk. I kept hoping they'd get to the part where they start recording "pet sounds" before I had to go home. I wanted to hear that song "god only knows" or whatever it's called because I am a sap.

but my clothes got dry first and I left.

By cyst on Wednesday, March 1, 2000 - 09:42 am:

oh. I started watching after they'd already released "pet sounds." I needn't have bothered. oh well.

By Markus on Wednesday, March 1, 2000 - 10:08 am:

Because it made for a good story.

By Margret on Wednesday, March 1, 2000 - 10:53 am:

I liked the Odysses because Odysseus is such a shit head. Penelope and Telemachus, however, rule. And Mentor, always Mentor.

By Patrick on Wednesday, March 1, 2000 - 11:51 am:

Gee, there is battery on your motherboard that may be running low. It can be changed rather easily.. it's like watch battery...there may be some strange compatability issues though...i forget

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, March 1, 2000 - 03:38 pm:

No. Just use NetTime Thingy. No compatability issues. Just use it every morning. My computer has the same problem and the time thingy makes it run real nice.

By cyst on Wednesday, March 1, 2000 - 09:31 pm:

I wish dave eggers were speaking tomorrow instead of tonight. I am too tired to go.

if you ever get a crush on someone, and you think they like you back, then you know they do, well, if they even quote "the sun also rises," then that's when you can know it's hopeless for sure.

I read the last mcsweeney's. not the one with the separately bound essays, but the one before that.

I guess I'm really not going to go because I am still here.

today I pretty much finished lorrie moore's "birds of america," a collection of short stories about THE WAY THINGS REALLY ARE. I'd been meaning to pick it up for over a year now. because when I was in kiev someone gave me a new york review of books in which she was praised. I read that whole issue. it also contained reviews of an orwell biography and a book by one of fidel castro's illegitimate daughters.

the orwell bio reviewer pointed out that orwell was only one of two 20th-century writers who got their own adjectives. orwellian. kafkaesque.

so I was reading about dave eggers, and he mentioned lorrie moore. he reviewed "birds of america" for slate.

I picked up mcsweeney's because the guy who quoted "the sun also rises" (actually, he didn't quote, he just referred to it. and after I made an urgent-sounding phone call to an unemployed friend ("do you have any hemingway in the house? I need to know what the last line of 'the sun also rises' is. really bad.") I walked to the nearest barnes and noble on my lunch hour that day.) had it on his coffee table when I saw him last. "have you read this?" he asked.

"no," I told him. "do you read the baffler?"

I once read an issue of the baffler over and over because my only other choice was joyce.

I once made 12 copies of a really long and funny and horrible amway article from the baffler and sent it to friends. I'm sure I sent one to him. he would have been first.

it starts in an hour. I bet if I went, I could meet all sorts of cute smart boys, the kind who think literary journals are still relevant.

yes. isn't it pretty to think so?

By droopy on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 12:10 am:

i wrote a story for agatha's web page in which i quoted "sun also rises".
    quoting from that book isn't impressive.

read two articles on cuba (and therefore castro) this month: one in vanity fair and one in new yorker. it was kinda interesting.

there's a book that tells you about THE WAY THINGS REALLY ARE?
    wow.

my mother came to my apartment this evening. it was her birthday on sunday. i gave her a bottle of australian wine and a diana krall cd and fed her roast chicken, salad and french bread. my mother brought a bottle of wine, too, and we drank both bottles. amazing how much wine that little old woman can hold.
    she tells me that my uncle pete, who has a heart condition, has 2 months to live. and my sister and her fiance are buying a house.

By Markus on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 01:35 am:

So how did you find McSweeney's? Apparently acceptable enough to want to go hear Dave Eggers speak.

By cyst on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 02:19 am:

wait, before I tell the story, does anyone here get cspan2? I'm not sure if my parents do. I think I'm going to be on it. I went to the eggers reading.

By Markus on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 03:28 am:

My housemate has a satellite dish that sucks it up along with 900 other damn channels.

By cyst on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 03:44 am:

I looked at the cspan booktv site. when they said cspan, I thought of hours of unedited video.

but now I see all the authors are put into one-hour segments. they clearly won't be showing everything they taped tonight.

oh well.

march 1, 2000

I was tired but I went anyway. the dave eggers reading was scheduled to start at 7:30, and I got to powell's at 7:00. as I walked in, there was a loudspeaker announcement saying that the whole top floor was already filled to capacity and no one else would be allowed in. fire marshall's orders.

me and everyone else on the first floor tried to go up there anyway. the stairs had been roped off, and there was an employee on guard. but he was letting some people in.

"my friend is saving me a seat."

"ok."

"I'm doing the photography."

"go ahead."

but then he realized that he couldn't just let everyone in, so he stopped.

and I couldn't think of a good story anyway. so I just sort of mumbled to myself about how much this sucked. I went back downstairs and called handjob guy, whom I hadn't spoken to in weeks. he lived nearby. but he was just leaving with another friend.

so I went back inside and looked for books. a couple weeks ago I decided that it was ok to spend a bunch of money on books even though they only last me two days each. I'm hoping they'll make me smart. I chose two and headed for the registers.

but then I sort of milled about in the main lobby area. I mean, I had put on my very tightest clothes and all. though I wasn't sure how they looked. I'd spent some time in front of the mirror, trying to figure out whether these jeans my friend gave me last weekend make me look fat. this could be the test run, I thought. would any guys come up and talk to me?

some guy came up and talked to me.

I recognized him. I'd met him before but I didn't really know him.

he had also come to see dave eggers.

"too bad. they're not letting anyone else in."

"oh, my friend works here. he told me to show up at 7:30 and he'd get me in."

"oh! cool. hey, what's your name again?"

we went upstairs and he asked to see his friend. I pretended I was with him. he didn't seem to mind. we got in.

goddamn. dave eggers was really attractive. way cuter than on the dust jacket of his book, which I guessed I would buy if I could get it signed. so much beautiful curly brown hair. what I really wanted was the new mcsweeney's but powell's was out.

a cspan crew was filming the whole thing for a booktv weekend. I could see him again if I wanted to.

he read from his book. he had a couple people read the dialogue with him. and -- I swear to god I am not making this up -- he kept looking at me. he was so fucking cute.

then came q&a. everyone was asking dumb, boring questions. if the dog on the dust jacket wasn't his, whose was it? what's his brother up to? I have my own literary journal, isn't that nice?

he was being sort of mean to the people in the audience. he'd tell them they were boring, they didn't read well, he wanted them to shut up. I think he was nervous and didn't like to speak in front of crowds. I bet he never wanted to go on tour. he doesn't even give newspaper interviews anymore -- he'll only respond to journalists' questions over e-mail.

I wanted him to acknowledge me. I wanted to impress this guy who got me in. I wanted to have something to write about later.

so I raised my hand.

"have you ever eaten food out of a dumpster?"

he laughed. for real, I think. "these are the WEIRDEST questions."

that wasn't true. the other questions were predictable. in fact, he said the guy before me had used the exact same words as a guy in boston. they had asked if he was sure he was only a 3 on the sexual-orientation scale (1 being completely straight and 10 being completely gay), as he had written on the copyright page of the book. (what is that page called? I'm sure there's a special name for it.)

"no. have you?"

I knew he was going to ask me to come up to the podium. he had been looking at me.

"yes."

"well, come up here and tell us your story."

"no."

"come on."

ok.

there were so many fucking people. I thought of them all in line for autographs afterward. so up there I asked him if he would sign my book. he said, "no, not now."

it turns out he draws pictures in the books. later on I got a tooth.

I thought I had been getting good at pretending to be the person I want to be. you know. the kind of person who wears skin-tight clothes and picks up guys in bookstores and charms her way past blockades and then asks bold questions of minor celebrities in front of capacity crowds and then claims the stage to tell her own story for national tv cameras.

I am so not that person. the lights were very bright and the room was quiet and I was scared. dave eggers was standing next to me and from the way his head was turned, I could tell he was trying to read what I had written on my hand.

"it was during the gulf war and it was the middle of the night and I was at some people's house and I was really hungry and they had these donuts and I ate one and then they said they were out of a dumpster and I thought that was really gross."

next time I guess I'll need to ask a different question -- one that I have an interesting answer for. because I know I'll never be able to make anything up.

but everyone laughed. I think they may have even clapped.

I'll never know because the q&a session probably won't make it onto cspan. which is too bad because I really want to know whether I look fat in these jeans.

By patrick on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 12:17 pm:

on a walk through the neighborhood, walking past a uppity modern/hip/retro furniture store, the wife stpotted a Rudi Gernreich book. She stopped, dropped cash and we walked home. It's a Taschen book....and as far as art books go, Taschen and Phaidon are my favorites. I had no idea who this guy was/is(?)....but wow, am i moved. The books is a collection photos, of his designs and fashions.. mostly by one of my more favorite photogs...William Claxton.......almost all of the photos deal exclusively with Claxton's wife and Gernreichs "favorite muse" Peggy Moffitt.

I don't have an eye for design as much as my wife does.....i know what i like and don't like, but fashion has never appealed to me so much , as it did when i opened this book......

something that i am reading as of late......H.Miller Stand Still Like The Hummingbird........

"it is only in periods of decadence that truth becomes complicated and conscience a heavy sack of guilt."

essay Immorality vs Morality

i wish i had more time for books. I am barely scratching the surface of dead authors, muchless ones living. between smoking, drinking, screwing, eating, schooling, photographing, developing, playing, driving, sleeping and the occassional tv, i have no time to read.......

i like the guys at powell's they are always accommodating when i need to have an author come by for a signing.......

By Jina on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 07:28 pm:

Yeah Phaidon is way good. I love their photo book, the images are just amazing.

One image that I'd want to create if I had the skill would be by puting a big bright red blossomed rose in a girl's snatch. Gently of course, no thorns, and just rested there. Enough to cover everything up. I'd do it on myself. I imagine it being pretty tasteful, but maybe in reality it'd be totally gross.

I have a great manual camera, a telescope lense, and a regular lense, I just need the time, patience, lighting, etc.

On another note I'm thinking about trimming my hedge into a heart shape, and dyeing it Fushia Shock.

By patrick on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 07:53 pm:

whatever you do, avoid the "landing strip" cut. How porn star cheesy is that. Not that your hedge is of great importance to me.

The shot you are talking about doing has been done. It's an age old metaphor. I am trying to recall by who.....not that that matters. Do as you wish.........have fun....with a rose in your twat, the fun could be endless.

If you do it yourself i recommend a tripod too.....does you cam have a timer? If not, you will need a volunteer snatch.

By Jina on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 08:44 pm:

A volunteer snatch would not be cool. I'm really glad to hear someone's already done it so I could see it instead of going through the trouble, which I probly would have not ended up doing, and it would have detracted from it, going through the trouble. But trimming my hedge yes. Viva la hedge.

By cyst on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 10:25 pm:

the best I can ever think of to say about a book or movie is that it tells the goddamn truth. I love that.

lorrie moore. birds of america.

:

went home to chicago, rented a room by the week at the days inn, drank sherry, and grew a little plump. she let her life get dull -- dull, but with hostess cakes. there were moments bristling with deadness, when she looked out at her life and went "what?" or worse, feeling interrupted and tired, "wha--?"

it was true. men could be with whomever they pleased. but women had to date better, kinder, richer, and bright, bright, bright, or else people got embarrassed. it suggested sexual things.

that had been in agnes' mishmash decade, after college. she had lived improvisationally then, getting this job or that, in restaurants or offices, taking a class or two, not thinking too far ahead, negotiating the precariousness and subway flus and scrimping for an occasional manicure or a play. such a life required much exaggerated self-esteem. it engaged gross quantities of hope and despair and set them wildly side by side, like a third world country of the heart.

now they struggled self-consciously for atmosphere, something they'd never needed before. she prepared the bedroom carefully. she played quiet music and concentrated. she lit candles -- as if she were in church, praying for the deceased.

the functional disenchantment, the sweet habit of each other had begun to put lines around her mouth, lines that looked like quotation marks -- as if everything she said had already been said before.

earlier this morning, ann told therese that she is going to take tad's name, as well. "you're going to call yourself tad?" therese asked, but ann was not amused. ann's sense of humor was never that flexible, though she used to like a good sight gag.

ann officiously explained the name change: "because I believe a family is like a team, and everyone on the team should have the same name, like a color. I believe a spouse should be a team player."

therese no longer has any idea who ann is.

"it's a movie," says ray apologetically. "did I spell it wrong?"

"I think you did, honey," says therese, leaning in to look at it. "you got some of the o's and a's mixed up." ray is dyslexic. ... ray misspells everything. is it input or imput? is it averse, adverse, or adversed? stock or stalk? carrot or karate? his roofing business has a reputation for being reasonable, but a bit slipshod and second-rate. nonetheless, therese thinks he is great. he is never condescending. he cooks infinite dishes with chicken. ... she is also having an affair with a young assistant DA in the prosecutor's office, but it is a limited thing -- like taking her gloves off, clapping her hands, and putting the gloves back on. it is quiet and undiscoverable. it is nothing, except that it is sex with a man who is not dyslexic, and once in a while, jesus christ, she needs that.

oh, well, therese thinks. it is her new mantra. it usually calms her down better than ohm, which she also tries. ohm is where the heart is. ohm is not here, oh, well. oh, well. when she was first practicing law, to combat her courtroom stage fright, she would chant to herself, everybody loves me. everybody loves me, and when that didn't work, she'd switch to kill! kill! kill!

but first ray must do his charade, which is confucius. "okay, I'm ready," he says, and begins to wander around the living room in a wild-eyed daze, looking as confused as possible, groping at the bookcases, placing his palm to his brow. and in that moment, therese thinks how good-looking he is and how kind and strong and how she loves nobody else in the world even half as much.

"no more weddings," albert announces. "no more divorces. no more wasting time. from here on in, I'm just going to go out there, find a woman I really don't like very much, and give her a house."

bill, divorced only once, is here tonight with debbie, a woman who is too young for him: at least that is what he knows is said, though the next time it is said to his face, bill will shout, "I beg your pardon!" maybe not shout. maybe squeak. squeak with a dash of begging. then he'll just hurl himself to the ground and plead for a quick stoning.

debbie is no longer a student of his in any way, so at last their appearance together is only unattractive and self-conscious-making but not illegal. bill can show up with her for dinner. he can live in the present, his newly favorite tense.

he prefers a deeper, cleverer, even tardy fate, like that of a girl he knew once in law school who, years before, had been raped, shot, and left for dead but then had crawled ten hours out of the woods to the highway with a .22 bullet in her head and flagged a car. that's when you knew life was making something up to you, that the narrative was apologizing. that's when you knew god had glanced up from his knitting, perhaps even risen from his freaking wicker rocker, and staggered at last to the window to look.

how can he assess his life so harshly and ungratefully, when he is here with her, when she is so deeply kind, and a whole new year is upon them like a long, cheap buffet? how could he be so strict and mean?

"I've changed my mind," he says. "I'm happy. I'm bursting."

"if only," says mack. mack himself would be a genius now if only he had been born a completely different person. but what could you do? he'd read in a magazine once that geniuses were born only to women over thirty; his own mother had been twenty-nine. damn! so fucking close!

By cyst on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 11:20 pm:

markus, I will try to remember to say something about mcsweeney's. has anyone else picked it up?

By cyst on Thursday, March 2, 2000 - 11:42 pm:

By droopy on Friday, March 3, 2000 - 12:17 am:

i had a friend - a male friend - like you when i was in high school. one day i found "lolita" at a book fare and read it. then i gave it to him. when we started talking about the book, i was amazed at how utterly different our views were. everybody's got there own goddam truth, i guess.

i'm reading a little japanese book called "i am a cat III", written around the turn of the last century. i think parts of it aren't coming though in the translation, but it's still interesting.

"there is nothing quite so terrifying as the results of education."

By cyst on Friday, March 3, 2000 - 09:56 am:

I like the future perfect. the things I will have done by some later date. I'm always so proud.

By Margret on Friday, March 3, 2000 - 10:12 am:

I always liked the hortatory subjunctive, which exists in homeric/attic greek. I don't know if it exists elsewhere; I am not a linguist. It is a rabble-rousing mode -- Let us burn George W. Bush in effigy! Let us then play Frank Zappa records 24-7 in the immediate vicinity of Tipper Gore, occasionally playing a track off Straight Outta Compton to season the mix! Let us then shave our legs leaving a 3" swath of hair around the ankles so we look like Percherons! Horsefeathers!

By Patrick on Friday, March 3, 2000 - 12:05 pm:

don't matta jus don't bite it

By sarah on Friday, March 3, 2000 - 08:25 pm:

what a fuckin' trip. i just read birds of america three months ago. great stories.

lent it to my friend paula when she was visiting end of january from san diego.

By cyst on Friday, March 3, 2000 - 09:07 pm:

I found this list today in my bag. at the top it says "why not?"

1. you're afraid of me. you think I could devastate you.

2. I'm not hot enough (purposely leaving this one vague).

3. not smart enough.

4. circumstances.

5. you don't think I'm attracted to you.

6. you think you'll need me your whole life long and can't afford to have things end badly with me.

7. you're going to marry her.

8. you think I'm stronger than you and you don't like that.

9. you know I'm not really what you hope I am and you want to avoid that disappointment.

10. you think I'm too good for you.

11. you wouldn't be able to look your reflection in a big window without knowing I'd notice.

12. the thought of kissing me has never crossed your mind, not even academically.

13. you're afraid you'll disappoint.

14. you'd never know what I was thinking.

15. then we couldn't be confidants.

16. you're afraid of what I'd do if you dumped me.

17. you'd want to see the notes I'd be taking.

18. you're afraid that I'd take your discontent personally.

19. you're afraid that for the rest of your life you'd find all other women fundamentally lacking.

By Daniel SSSs on Saturday, March 4, 2000 - 12:12 pm:

great list

By droop on Saturday, March 4, 2000 - 06:05 pm:

20. you think i lack the sense of humor and irony that i need to process the backlog of "truths" that i spend my every waking hour hording away under the misapprehension that it will - on its own - come to mean something.

21. you don't dig me because i think self-criticism is the same as humility.

"like all dreamers, i mistook disillusionment for truth." - sartre

By sarah on Saturday, March 4, 2000 - 09:20 pm:

bottom line: the answer to the question "why not?" is *always* fear.

By heather on Saturday, March 4, 2000 - 09:28 pm:

(droop)

i need to go home and spend some time with myself

why is this so hard sometimes (these sentences are not directly related)

By _____ on Saturday, March 4, 2000 - 11:19 pm:

way too simplistic, sarah.

By sarah on Sunday, March 5, 2000 - 01:14 am:

give me an example, dave.

By Gee on Sunday, March 5, 2000 - 02:21 am:

fear or lack of interest.

By _____ on Sunday, March 5, 2000 - 12:43 pm:

i see where you're going with this. it's a great tenet for the 'just do it' lifestyle and i hope that it makes you feel more powerful, but it's only real if you believe it.

By sarah on Sunday, March 5, 2000 - 05:22 pm:

same goes for you. you have a tone of bitterness and ethical indignation, which is just crap.

we all make choices.

the ONLY thing that empowers me, Dave, is the fear of regrets and death. life is too fucking short. blip. that's all we get what a rip-off.

you can't get rid of fear. you can only choose to let it stunt your growth or motivate you to be courageous. nobody and nothing forces you to do one or the other. feeling like you don't have a choice is a just spell cast by fear.

i'll ask again. what are you willing to sacrifice?

By _____ on Sunday, March 5, 2000 - 06:31 pm:

i don't have a tone. you're the one with the tone. ;) (that breaks my rule about emoticons.)

i'm not talking about me or you. ask droopy why he doesn't run in the next marathon. i don't think it's because he's afraid to. all i was saying was that statement was simplistic.

sorry to use you as an example, droopy.

By Sheila on Sunday, March 5, 2000 - 07:13 pm:

we should all use droopy as an example.

i was about to get on my high horse, but nevermind

By sarah on Sunday, March 5, 2000 - 07:14 pm:

well, droopy could still participate in the next marathon, he just wouldn't *run* in it. lots of people in chairs race.

i like what gee said. fear or lack of interest.

i have a date tomorrow morning at 4:25 a.m.

By _____ on Sunday, March 5, 2000 - 08:00 pm:

i should have just kept my thoughts to myself. trying to pick apart belief systems has lost its appeal. besides, i'm notoriously wrong about pretty much everything. that's the only thing i'm certain of anymore.

By cyst on Sunday, March 5, 2000 - 09:06 pm:

I feel like I should apologize. (about last night. also because all these paragraphs start with "I.")

I wasn't prepared. before I arrived, I had imagined how I would react in person to our new, um, openness. I would have fun. I would flirt with you to see if you really would evaporate. everything would be the same except I could be a little smug -- even he thinks I'm pretty too.

I knew I liked you, I knew I was attracted to you, I knew I was going to be excited to see you. I knew every exchange would be weighted with extra meanings. I even had a couple clever lines prepared. all fine.

but then I was dumbstruck.

I felt so stupid riding around in the car with you. I felt like I could have been any vapid, pretty girl just sitting there listening to you talk. I wanted to try to match my spoken words to my thoughts -- I didn't just want to make conversation -- but almost every time I would try to say something, I would realize I wasn't able to. when we were trying to figure out where to go, I wanted to joke with you -- "why don't we just get a room?" -- except I wouldn't have thought it was very funny.

this crush had been so abstract and lofty. I mean, I recognized there was an element of concupiscence, but I hadn't imagined how much it could affect our interaction.

I thought the only way I could really talk to you is if we were sitting in the dark and could never look at each other. (but then we would fall asleep; I was really tired too.)

being alone with you for seconds at a time in that little room in the dark was like what I imagine heroin must be like. I didn't really want to discuss anything. and that was before I started feeling guilty about not talking.

I don't want to presume that you were feeling any of the same things I was. but today in the car I realized that there's a term people use for how I felt things were like last night. "sexual tension." I hate that -- it's so tv drama series. was it fun? I am really glad I'll know what to expect next time. I was caught off guard. it was very exciting but irritatingly unfulfilling. that's how I've been feeling about all the impossibilities -- maybe not so much sad as irritated. I think next time I see you I'll be ready, so I'll be much more functional.

I'm glad you said you don't find the impossibility pleasant. I was afraid you were enjoying the lack of outlet. I was afraid that you thought that was the best thing about it, that it was futile. it's good to know it's not all fun for you either.

I was almost pissy when I first left you last night. any "nice to see you, talk to you later" seemed so phony, I couldn't say it. better just to say "bye" without even looking. I mean, what's the point, anyway?

you called me back. I don't know why, but I was way more reluctant than eager. my first thought -- this is so funny -- was, "is he talking to me?" then I had no idea what you were going to say. I'm sure I was afraid to hear it.

after you said it, I still didn't really want to. or I didn't want to want to. or something. I was wary.

but then my god.

(if you felt nothing all night but a mild, friendly interest in me, then I am going to be a little embarrassed. but I know you mean well toward me, so that's ok.)

your embracing me was so powerful. I had no idea that you were so strong or that such a display would thrill me. I felt frail and feminine, which was really shocking and weird, and I felt like you were the one in control and I was more than happy to let you be. I wished I didn't have on the crazy boots to see how well we really fit together. I couldn't raise my arms up around you because the turks cut the jacket so tight that whenever I try to reach for something, I feel like I'm having my blood pressure taken. so all I could do was let you hold me and try to ruin it after you had spoken by simperingly asking you to continue an inventory of my charms. I wanted to feel your skin against my apricot-walnut-shelled face, and you let me go. I guess you had to.

wow, it really sounds like I'm romanticizing this absurdly. after all, it was just a hug.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact