"dual install" of win95 and win98 (?) Any comments to shed some light?

sorabji.com: I need advice: "dual install" of win95 and win98 (?) Any comments to shed some light?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Farad on Thursday, May 18, 2000 - 11:54 am:

a question:

"A lot of 'high-end' notebooks I've seen in catalogs lately advertise "dual installs" of o/s win95/98. Since this feature seems to be found
    in only the most expensive models . . . why are people willing to pay extra for it, do you think? A friend of mine has a licence to install win98 on a second machine and is willing to do so on one of mine.
    The idea of that "dual install" greatly appeals to him. For my usage I don't seem to be crowding my hard drive. What are the pros and cons of a "dual install" ? . . . and in a mini LAN such as i have can both operating systems talk to each other?"

one answer:

I can't actually think of a single benefit to a dual-install of 95 and 98.
    They're both so similar to each other anyway. The major reasons one would
    have for having to stay with 95 would be device drivers (old hardware not
    being well supported in 98, I've heard). I can't think of any normal
    function that 95 can do that 98 can't, and that's the only good reason for
    having a dual-install. My feeling is, if you want 98, install 98. Don't
    go mixing things up with two OSs that are already nearly identical.

If you happen to find out why people would want such a dual-boot, I'd be
    interested to know.

Here at work, the only times we set up dual-boot systems is for Windows
    and Linux.

Does anyone in sorabjiland have any replies ?

By Dougie on Thursday, May 18, 2000 - 12:11 pm:

Might be useful for a helpdesk-type person who troubleshoots both OSes to have both available for dualboot and can boot back and forth between them. Haven't heard of anyone doing it between 95 & 98 though -- 95 & NT & Linux more common.

Also, of course a 98 machine can talk to a 95 machine, or a 3.11 machine or a 3.1 or DOS, or UNIX, or Linux, or Mac, whatever you got. Just need the same protocols running (more than likely it's going to be TCP/IP, but if it's just a homegrown network possibly NetBeui or a combo of both, if you have Novell then maybe IPX/SPX is in there, whatever.)

By Kymical on Thursday, May 18, 2000 - 12:12 pm:

the only times i have seen a dual install of those two operating system was when 98 first came out.
    there were programs that had not been made compatable with 98. and they weren't going to, because the original company had gone out of bussiness.

so really the only pro to it would be for software reasons (programs and drivers) when 98 first came out people were just itching to dual boot it. but with the hardware that is sold today, you could easily just use one or the other. which ever you prefer.
    it has definately gotten to the point where you can just choose which one you like more. the whole millinium scare made people clench tightly to their 95 praying for nothing to go wrong. many believe that 95 is a more stable OS.

beyond that, i don't se any real point to dual boot it.
    unless you just want to see how it looks or you want to dub yourself a computer genius for doing it.
    but if you realy want some fun mix it up...like linux and B. or 98 and 3.1 (which is a hoot i must say!)
    98 and 3.1 combo is like hell. unless you have some sort of hard copy of the drivers for you "plug and play hardware" 3.1 will not use a lot of the hardware. and 98 will have no problem. so you just switch back and forth between OS so you can listen to a c.d. or surf the internet.
    how nice.

god, i hate computers.

By Dougie on Thursday, May 18, 2000 - 01:09 pm:

98 should've been released as a service pack to 95, a la NT. However, they were stuck with that 95 name which was starting to look a little dated, so they put some bells and whistles on 95, shrinkwrapped it, called it an ugrade, and made a fortune. Still can't believe they dated it by using 98, as they do with Win2K, Office2K, etc.

By Isolde on Thursday, May 18, 2000 - 07:56 pm:

Now that they've, uh, debugged '98, there's no real reason to have '95 as a fallback. All I can see is that it would take up space. Really, what's the point? Linux/'98 makes sense. But multiple versions of Windows is just silly. '98 supports a lot of hardware, actually, so I don't see that being a problem.
    Wierd. I've never really heard of a dual install.

By Pf on Monday, May 29, 2000 - 08:51 pm:

> . . . it seems that my neighbor needs to have '98 in order to load and run some >video editing. (I didn't know that part before)

One of the few major improvements between 95 and 98 is USB support. If you need to run USB, you need 98. So either your neighbor has USB equipment, or there's some other really subtle change in the OS.

Gunther

By A fwd. on Monday, May 29, 2000 - 08:53 pm:

San,

Sorry it took me that long. As far as I could find out, the only way you can have both win95 and win98 on the same machine(having a startup option to launch one or another)is by installing third party software("System Commander " for example)
    before installation of win98. I don't see the reason why to go through all that trouble. If your friend will install 98 on top of 95, he(she) will not have to reinstall any apps or drivers (98 is inheriting all that), if that is a concern.
    That is about it.
    Work harder at having good time!

Cheers,
    Pavel.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact