PLEASE HELP! My Win 95 Content Advisor's Gone Haywire!

sorabji.com: I need advice: PLEASE HELP! My Win 95 Content Advisor's Gone Haywire!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
R.C. on Monday, May 22, 2000 - 12:50 am:

The a.c. in my car also died today. Which means I will be absofuckinglutely MISERABLE driving to work @ 11:00 a.m. tomorrow. But I can't put my car in the shop til the weekend.

And for reasons unknown to me/the Content Advisor in Win 95 on my p.c. has lost it's mind. As soon as I open a web browser/it pops up telling me My Content Advisor settings are missing... Pls. go to Tools, Internet Options, clikcon Content then select Setting. But when I do that/it won't let me click on Disable -- nothing happens. And when I click on Settings, it asks me for a password. I have NEVER password-protected anything on my computer. Nor have I tinkered w/the Content Advisor atall. I haven't installed anythign new on my computer in months. Altho in desperation/I did call the AOL Helpline asking for assistance/ And they told me to delete some file w/n Content Advsor that must ne corrupted. So now it's prolly totally screwed up.

I'm sick of having to drive to the parental units hse. just to surf the web. And I'd hate to spend $45 to put my computer in the shop for something that I'm sure will take 15 min. to troubleshoot.

Any suggestions? You might wanna email me/since I may not get back to my parents' hse./hence back to Sorabjiland/for a couple of days.

By Dougie on Monday, May 22, 2000 - 08:20 am:

At least you got a.c., R.C. My 88 Honda Accord with black interior which I bought used 8 years ago has none. It's fine in the winter.

By dave on Monday, May 22, 2000 - 10:05 am:

sorabji.com no longer supports windows 95. we recommend you upgrade to the fatter, slower windows 98. good luck.

By J on Monday, May 22, 2000 - 11:48 am:

It,s so fucking hot here even with the a.c. working it,s still miserable,when you are just making short trips,like going to the grocery store and running errands around the neighborhood,you can,t drive long enough for the car to cool down.Yesterday after visiting my mother,went shopping at Cosco,then went to T.G.I.Fridays to eat,the a.c. in the resturant wasn,t workig right,same at the bowling alley and it,s only May.I bet we get alot of brown outs,maybe even blackouts this year.At least it ,s a dry heat.

By R.C. on Monday, May 22, 2000 - 09:51 pm:

The 12 min.drive to work @ 11:00 a.m. SUCKED!!

Even w/the windows down I was WET by the time I pulled into the parking lot. WHICH SUCKS -- why shd i bother showering & putting on deoderant & baby powder when I know I'm gonna be all funky & sweaty 2 minutes after I get into my car!

(And I cdn't leave it parked all nite w/the windows open/becuz it's LOVE BUG SEASON. Arrggh!)

My car may be a hoopdee/but it's a small hoopdee ('88 Nissan Sentra)/so the a.c. only takes abt 10 min.to cool it off. (Providing it hasn't been sitting in the sun w/all the windows up for hrs.}

Thank Goddess it rained briefly this evening/just before I left work. I'd had the good sense to run out & put my windows up when I saw the sky clouding up. It was just a quick shower/but at least it cooled things off to the point where I wasn't sweating bullets on the way home.

And everyone keeps telling me that getting the freeon replaced in such an old car is gonna cost me a zillion dollars...

Any luck on fixing my Content Advisor, guys? Where's Nate -- the knows all abt such things.

By Kymical on Tuesday, May 23, 2000 - 05:56 pm:

i am working on it.

i should know this, i used to do it in my sleep at my last job, and it has come in handy as information..

basically there is a key in your windows registry that can just be deleted and it will take the value off of the content advisor thinking there needs to be a password. bassically. return it to factory as far as the content advisor is concerned.

but you have to be like super okay with being in your registry. it is kind of like handling a gun, you have to be comfortable with it, but still not loose sight of the fact that you mess anything up here it is indeed all over.

now doesn't that sound scary?
    not really.

i will have the answer within 24.

kymical out

By Kymical on Tuesday, May 23, 2000 - 06:50 pm:

well i had no idea i would figure it out this quickly.
    go to run on the start menu
    type in "regedit" this will open another window calle reistry editor.
    enter with caution, follow these to the letter.

as you click on each of the folders to open them, more will come out from underneath it. be on the look out.
    if you don't see the folder that is within these instructions. don't choose something kind of like it.
    but this will get you o where you need to be if you are indeed using 95. without the 5.0 upgrade. with 5.0 you might still find these folders in the registry. 5.0 is a bit more sticky in the registry department tho.

Hkey_Local_Machine
    folder software
    folder Microsoft
    folder windows
    folder current version
    folder policies
    folder ratings folder
    Highlight "key" in right window and delete
    Click on the file menu and choose exit regedit Click on the start button
    Click on shutdown
    Click on restart computer
    Click OK
    Right click once on internet explorer icon on desktop choose properties from the pull down menu
    Select the security tab
    Click on disable ratings <if it is available>
    Click on OK without entering anything when prompted for a password click on
    OK when warned that content advisor has been disabled

i get metaphysical.

By Kymical on Tuesday, June 6, 2000 - 10:01 am:

okay does anyone care? did anyone need this information?

am i not really here?

who's tongue is that in my mouth?!

By J on Tuesday, June 6, 2000 - 01:27 pm:

I don,t know Kymie,just like I don,t know where I am or why I,m holding this handbasket.

By JboxR on Tuesday, June 6, 2000 - 08:50 pm:

In Japan, they have replaced the impersonal and
    unhelpful Microsoft error messages with their own
    Japanese haiku poetry, each only 17 syllables, 5
    syllables in the first line, 7 in the second, five
    in the third...

------------------------

A file that big?
    It might be very useful.
    But now it is gone.

------------------------

The Web site you seek
    Can not be located but
    Countless more exist.

------------------------

Chaos reigns within.
    Reflect, repent, and reboot.
    Order shall return.

------------------------

ABORTED effort:
    Close all that you have worked on.
    You ask far too much.

------------------------

Windows NT crashed.
    I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

------------------------

Yesterday it worked.
    Today it is not working.
    Windows is like that.

------------------------

First snow, then silence.
    This thousand dollar screen dies
    So beautifully.

------------------------

With searching comes loss
    And the presence of absence:
    "My Novel" not found.

------------------------

The Tao that is seen
    Is not the true Tao-until
    You bring fresh toner.

------------------------

Stay the patient course.
    Of little worth is your ire.
    The network is down.

------------------------

A crash reduces
    Your expensive computer
    To a simple stone.

------------------------

Three things are certain:
    Death, taxes, and lost data.
    Guess which has occurred.

------------------------

You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

------------------------

Out of memory.
    We wish to hold the whole sky,
    But we never will.

------------------------

Having been erased,
    The document you're seeking
    Must now be retyped.

------------------------

Serious error.
    All shortcuts have disappeared.
    Screen. Mind. Both are blank

By R.C. on Monday, June 12, 2000 - 01:50 am:

Thanks for the tip, Kymical. I've got a techhead friend who says at this point/I really just need a new hardrive. Which I don't get/becuz my shit was working fine (altho moving slow) before this Content Advisor glitch popped up. But I'll have him try yr procedure.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact