hardcore reggae

sorabji.com: I need advice: hardcore reggae
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rhiannon on Sunday, October 15, 2000 - 08:34 pm:

I need to know the names of some hardcore reggae artists. Now, I don't know if it really is called hardcore reggae, but that's what I call it because it sounds nothing like the Bob Marley school of reggae. This is hard-assed reggae. You know what I'm talking about? You don't have to tell me I'm a milkfed white girl who has no business talking about this kind of stuff and who, no doubt, sounds like an idiot. I don't care. I just want to know the names of some hardcore reggae artists.

And if you were really kind, you would stick soundclips next to at least one of the names, so I could tell you if that was what I meant by hardcore reggae.

Thank you very much.

By dave. on Sunday, October 15, 2000 - 09:40 pm:

bad brains?

By pez on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 12:20 am:

pork brains in milk gravy?

By Rhiannon on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 03:09 pm:

No.

Someone told me the name "Shaba Ranks."

Any of y'all know of this man and can confirm that he does indeed produce the hardcore reggae?

By semillama on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 03:18 pm:

Shabba Ranks, and yes indeed.

Also try Yellowman, Shaggy.

I think you should be looking at dancehall reggae for the hardcore stuff.

hold on and I will find you some others.

By semillama on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 03:20 pm:

By Nate on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 04:07 pm:

By sarah on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 04:10 pm:

yellowman's music is considered hardcore? that's cute.

or is it just that being albino automatically makes you alternative in the reggae world?

By semillama on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 04:17 pm:

yeah that's what I meant.

Actually, the best sound system for this stuff are those stereo cars, the ones that are nothing but speakers and put out 140 dB of bass. Some of them are calibrated somehow to 33 mHz, which supposedly some geek figured out is the resonant frequency that stimulates a woman's privates.

I must admit that i don't really listen to this type of reggae, as I find it to be too misogynistic for my tastes.

By Nate on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 04:51 pm:

speaking of sound systems, anyone know anything about home theater?

i was looking at the onkyo txds777 receiver and bose acustimas 10 II speaker array.

but hell. i don't know.

By agatha on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 05:46 pm:

shaddap, nate. fucking home theater. fuck.

By sarah on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 06:50 pm:

yeah really. if you're going to talk nate, start teaching us about stocks or investments or something useful.

By Nate on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 07:05 pm:

wtf.

By sarah on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 07:23 pm:

just kidding, love. easy boy, easy.

By Nate on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 08:09 pm:

well hell. i can't win with you people. whatever i say it's always "fuck you, you ass" or something equally offensive.

jesus.

i mean, really. i work hard. i've never put a foot or a knife on anyone's back to get where i am today. hell, i don't even have the "massive speakers or a subwoofer" that sem was talking about. ya'll get in his face? no no. because he's some archeologist or something. how fucking noble.

all i have is this rinky-dink bookshelf setup i bought at the k-mart.

and now i've saved my pennies and actually want to upgrade my consumer electronics a bit. but it's not a market i'm familiar with, so i need advice. but then, this is the grief i get.

fuck.

fuck fuck.

By Isolde on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 08:14 pm:

I have a rinky dink thing too. A friend over here has a really nice sound system, and I have serious penis envy whenever I go over there. He also just bought a 19" perfectly flat screen monitor...oh, god. I didn't give you grief, Nate, buy your sound system. I wish I had good advice for you.

By sarah on Monday, October 16, 2000 - 09:15 pm:

nate, don't me mad! i honestly hope you get the home entertainment center of your dreams. good speakers rock. get subwoofers and surround sound.

that's the only advice i have to offer. i have neither a home sound system nor do i own a TV. but the car i bought from the filipino kid has an alpine CD player and he tore out half the trunk for the speakers. there are all kinds of boxes and switches in the trunk and under the passenger seat. i have no idea what it all is, but i do know it makes my Fugees CD that much more fun to do the driver seat booty dance to.

good luck.

By agatha on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 12:30 am:

don't mind me, nate. i'm just poor and bitter.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 12:35 am:

I've got poor pride.
    I guess being poor isn't something to be proud of. But I'm not bitter. I worked to be where I am today, damnit!

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 08:29 am:

UB40 -- real reggae or no?

By mistaswine on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 09:55 am:

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 10:00 am:

OK, just checking...although I do like that song, Red Red Wine, and they do a pretty good job on that Elvis song. That's all I know of them. Plus, I think one of the dude's is married to Chrissy Hynde of the Pretenders.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 11:24 am:

DUDE THAT'S NEIL DIAMOND.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 11:26 am:

Nah, Neil sings incestuous songs about girls becoming women soon.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 11:31 am:

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 11:35 am:

By Nate on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 11:36 am:

does UB40 do anything but covers?

By droopy on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 11:44 am:

i remember a song of theirs called "our own song" that they wrote themselves. back in the eighties. it was covered by a jamaican band.

By Mistaswine on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 11:44 am:

THX isn't a digital sound format.
    it's just George Lucas' "stamp of approval". in order for a piece of gear to get "THX-certified" it has to meet technical standards set by a bunch of wankers at lucasfilm.

here. read up.

anyway. you want THX-certification?

go nuts.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 12:32 pm:

i got a technics system, they seem to make a decent product...

i really get my rocks off when i rented the re-formatted star wars and that THX promo comes on..you know the one at the beginning of all lucas films that rattles you balls ....yeah, thats the one.....play that shit over and over

By semillama on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 01:35 pm:

Just watch out if you get a set-up from Best Buy, they'll pressure you into getting one of their in-house warranties, which in most cases is totally unnecessary. Fuckers.

Nate, get the most block-rocking, ear-rattling system you can, and then flaunt it at all the people who will not be able to contain their jealousy. Great sound is a basic human right, dammit!

By Nate on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 02:02 pm:

hm.

what are the benefits of a pre-amp/amp configuration?

not that i really want to spend $10K on this.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 02:05 pm:

most extended warranties/additional warranties are not worth buying. I never do.

nor do i pay uninsured motorist insurance.

fuckers.

By pez on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 02:47 pm:

red red wine is a good song. even if they do play it occasionally on z100. of course, that's where i heard it first...

By sarah on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 06:16 pm:

anyone who enjoys the music of UB40 probably also drinks Zima and/or Tequiza.

By TBone on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 06:18 pm:

I think the pre-amp/amp configuration just supplies a LOT more sound (volume) with less distortion than, say, turning your system way up.

I can't imagine needing that much noise inside a home. I've just got a couple hundred Watt amp/reciever with some huge Pioneer 3-way boxes (tweeter, mid, and a 15-incher).

That's too much sound already.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 06:22 pm:

I drink Tequiza, but not Zima.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 06:25 pm:

*slaps forhead*

damn sarah thats insightful.

that tequiza shitand products like it are just getting to be regodamndiculous

i'm willing to bet they got a Jimmy Buffet disc in there somewhere too.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 06:29 pm:

You know what's fucking hysterical, my 89 year old grandfather digs Jimmy Buffet. He's usually a Lawrence Welk kinda guy.

Tequiza ain't too bad.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 08:33 pm:

fuck you, you ass.

tequiza.

shit.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 08:45 pm:

Si senor, esta una cerveza muy buena. I'll drink my Tequiza, Bud, and whatever other swill I choose. You can stick with your Heart of Darkness wine bottled by some guy named Kurtz in the Congo which turns your crap black.

By sarah on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 09:04 pm:

ha!

By patrick on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 11:12 am:

he's gotta point nate

never had black poop from wine....

you're out on a lamb with that one

By semillama on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 12:37 pm:

You sick sorry bastard! Leave the lambs alone, what are you, Australian?

By Gee on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 03:00 pm:

hey man, don't say things you can't take back.

By Nate on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 05:43 pm:

that bottle of heart of darkness didn't actually turn my poop black.

here is how to turn your poop black: drink one of those big jugs of cab. poop.

it's easy.

as for a quality red wine versus tequiza, i think the point is mine.

but whatever, everyone is entitled to be ridiculed for their lack of taste.

especially tequiza drinkers. for christ sakes, at least drink corona and take shots of don...

By Dougie on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 06:20 pm:

But Tequiza's so easy. They've done all the work for you. No more messy hands or upper lip from all that salt and lime. Plus, they've got really cool radio commercials with a guy named Julio and a woman named Maria. "Heart of Darkness" red wine. Pffft, who the fuck thought up that name? What next, "Apocalypse Now" aperitif? That'd be good, they could get Marlon Brando to do Orson Welles-like commercials: "Oh, the horror of selling a wine before its time." And what the fuck's the deal with everyone writing in all lower case? Everybody wants to be e. e. cummings or something?

By Isolde on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 06:39 pm:

Oh, but that's the fun of drinking! Why pretend with Tequiza? Silly lad...

By Nate on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 06:53 pm:

what happened to that guy who used to frequent this place? billy or whatever. the guy who did the advertising for the introduction of tequiza to the USA.

that shit is swill. it tastes like fruit loops.

it's not for real people. it's for wannabe people.

By Dougie on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 06:56 pm:

http://www.tequiza.com/

Somebody actually went to the trouble of registering this domain name, and then creating a 10th grade-level website about the virtues of Tequiza. Probably was Anheuser Busch who bought it and hired some schmoe to create an amateurish-looking website, but whatever.

Look, I've had Tequiza maybe 3 or 4 times. It's really not that bad. I don't buy it and bring it home. I've had it when somebody's offered it to me. My mainstay is Bud, but I appreciate real beer (which I know neither Bud nor Tequiza are) and I appreciate a decent wine. N'k? Some things on this board are tongue in cheek, people.

By Billy on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 06:57 pm:

By Cat on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 07:15 pm:

Sure once the pressure's on, you deny you're a Tequiza guy. Yeah, yeah, yeah. We know you've got a secret stash of it and you're probably taking furtive sneaky little sips even as you read this...your tongue caressing the bottle as you quench the thirst of the longing that dares not speak it's name.

Before the cock crows three times, you'll probably be turning your back on Bud too. I'm appalled and disgusted. Disgusted and appalled too.

By Peter on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 07:20 pm:

My lips have never touched a bottle of Bud. In fact, I've never even heard of Bud.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 07:35 pm:

well slap me around and call me a hussy peter....how bout a size 11 1/2 right up that tight arse of yours......welcome to bud country you fuckface

By Peter on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 07:39 pm:

Hey, is that any way to talk to an apostle?

By Cat on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 07:42 pm:

Is the Pope a Catholic?

By Dougie on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 07:50 pm:

No, he's a Pole. You guys are silly.

By Isolde on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 08:10 pm:

But of course, that's what makes us want to love them.

By pez on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 10:15 pm:

i'm in the proccess of making drag-queen fairy ken. the idea came last night because i was working late and the shoes that need to be put back in the stockroom are called drags. funny funny stuff.

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 10:25 pm:

Is a bear Catholic?
    Does the Pope shit in the woods?
    Is Tequiza fresh squeezed lime urine?

YES, I SAY! YES!!

By J on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 12:43 am:

The best beer I ever had in my whole looong life was Imperial,they made it in Costa Rica.Tried to score some back here,they just don't export it here and it's a shame,way better than Red Stripe or Corona.But I'm really into the vodka now,why beat around the bush?

By J on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 12:55 am:

Gee,no man,mon that's the ticket,and keeping with the thread.Hey mon,don't say things you can't take back.

By patrick on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 11:45 am:

fav beers....

Tsing Tao (for the commie in me)

Grolsch (for the bohemian euro in me)

Pacifico (served with liberal amounts of lime and hotfuck mexican food)

Bass

tequiza is nothing but low grade Bud mixed with so called "tequilla"...and lime flavor

you want them to lime your drink? it's like using real lime or that shit in those lil green lime-like containers...the difference is so noticable

don't be fooled, it's made by Anheuser Busch, take a bud and shot of tequilla chased by lime and see how much better you fare...

By Dougie on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 11:52 am:

Yes, yes, yes, I know all of that. My favorite beers are Duff Beer and Billy Beer. It's way too early to be thinking about beer.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 02:39 pm:

So, what was that again? Lady Saw, Beenie Man, Capleton, Buju Banton, and Tippa Irie?

Thanks, Sem.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 03:18 pm:

Hey, quit trying to steer us off track.

By pez on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 03:23 pm:

the verb is "derail"

By Dougie on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 03:43 pm:

Thanks for the grammar lesson, pez.

By Cat on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 05:26 pm:

the verb is "snort" and the proper noun is "Dougie"

By pez on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 06:31 pm:

my cat's breath smells like tofu

By Isolde on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 08:49 pm:

I had...drumroll, please....good silken tofu tonight. It was so exciting.

By Music Nigger on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:52 pm:

Hardcore reggae? I'm not sure what you're looking for but try Dub War "strike it"

By jack on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:59 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact