"My Grandfather's Clock", the song.

sorabji.com: I need advice: "My Grandfather's Clock", the song.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Dr. Spectrum on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 03:14 am:

"My grandfathers clock was too large for the shelf
    so it stood 90 years on the far"
    . . . Now I don't have any problem with That' part.
    "It was taller by hat than the old man himself
    and it weighed not a featherweight more"
    "It was born on the morn on the day that he was born"

Ok, now this is my question: When Is a clock born? When it's brought home from the shop or when the manuFACTURER completes the construction of it? ??
    They say 'it was taller by hat than the old man himself ' . . That's assuming that when the grandfather was fully grown, you know, his full height. let's put it this way, the clock didn't grow.
    Also " it weighed not a featherweight more" . .
    Is that assuming it was his maXIMum weight as an adult?I'm sure that the grandfather's weight didn't remain constant. . Did the clock gain weight?
    "90 years without stumbering tick tock tick tock"
    "and it stopped short, never to go again, when the old man died"
    When the clock was "born" did it keep perfect time throughOut the lifetime of the grandfather? At the termination of the grandfathers life the did the clock all of a sudden stop working?

???
    Can someone figure out WHAT the guy who wrote that song had in mind???

By R.C. on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 05:21 am:

Good lord -- it's amazing what files he ol' hardrive stores! I haven't heard or thought of that song since, like, kindergarten. But I remember the lyrics:

"It was taller by HALF
    than the old man himself,
    yet it weighed not a pennyweight more."

Meaning if the old man was 6' ft, the clock was 6'6". Of course it didn't 'grow'. And it wd not have had to keep perfect time to stop working at the moment he died.

I assume handmade clocks like this were 'born' on the date they were completed by the mfg. Since they were handcrafted back in those days, there wd probably have been some sort of engraving or signature indicating the date of completion.

I think what the songwriter had foresmost in mind was rhyme scheme.

Whatever made you think of that old children's song?

By semillama on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 11:16 am:

Actually if the old man was 6' the clock would have been 9'.

Otherwise, R. C. is right.

By Dougie on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 01:28 pm:

I seem to remember hearing that there's a reason that in shops, regular mechanical clocks (non-digital) are displayed with the hands either at 3:40 or 8:20 -- a famous clockmaker (possibly seth thomas) died at that time. Has anybody heard this too? Something like that.

By Dougie on Wednesday, December 13, 2000 - 06:13 pm:

OK, guess not. But if anybody's heard of this too, let me know. Thanks

By IP on Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 01:04 pm:

By Dr. Spectrum on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 05:35 pm:

Thank you for the response and input to my posting about this zany song.
    That song is pre-programmed on my Yamaha keyboard.
    A friend was reading a mawkish e-mail to me titled "Grandpa's table" and it started from there.
    thanks again

By CJ on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 09:09 am:

It was BOUGHT on the morn of the day that he was born...
    thats how it goes.
    also, I once heard that clocks in advertisements are usually set at 10:10 because it makes them look "happy" I don't know about the other times.

By V.v. on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 12:12 am:

Dr.Spectrum,i have a vast brain for old ideas,and you may have to get back to the 1950s for your answere.

By V.v. on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 12:18 am:

If your not dead or somthing.

By V.v. on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 12:57 am:

And why doz any one bother with this 50 year old shit?Dont know why im even on this crapola thead.CJ,your an asshole.As for your your grandfathers clock,you can shove it up your ass.

By wisper on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 06:30 pm:

that's the spirit, V.v !

By semillama on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 06:52 pm:

Yeah, all nine feet of it!

By V.v. on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 09:40 pm:

SORRY GUYS,I WAS REAL DRUNK ON VODKA AT THE TIME!JEEZ, I THINK IM TURNING INTO A SORABJI!

By Bluegrassman on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:16 pm:

The song was written when the author called in to an inn in at Piercebridge in the north of England on a journey, the story goes that he saw the grandfather Clock (it is still there) and wrote his song there and then. If you all did some research instead of just analysing your own thoughts on the subject you might just get some sense

By Dealin Dave on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 07:13 am:

Just left Japan and a new friend asked about this song that I had not sung since 4th grade..he started to sing and the brain file smoked till I too remembered.. what is the deal with this song ? The tic toc? May the Beach Boy's keep a hit after 45 years too!!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact