about land

sorabji.com: I need advice: about land
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Oswald Jr. on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 11:01 pm:

I went to this flea market and I buy some old book and, inside the book when I get home is 2 old land deeds from after the civil War it is for land in the Mid West. So now I have the deeds to all this land. But it is not in my name it is in the name of folks who died a long damn time ago. So I am holding the deed to the land and what I want to know is, wether theres a chance in hell that I could own the land cause I got the actual deeds to it even tho it is not in my name. I bet I am screwed but thought I'd ask anyway.

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 01:03 am:

It would be nice, but the deed's got to be recorded in some town hall somewhere. It would be cool to go and research it, though. When I was a kid, my dad took me to the registry of deeds, and showed me the history of our house, how he bought it from the Tiltons, who owned it for years. I think there were two owners before that, one was named George, and the other was a woman, but it's all fuzzy.

I also researched the deeds on my current house; it was in the same family for most of this century. The house was built in '04, and I bought it in '96 from a builder, who'd bougth the house and land from the estate of the woman whose father built the house. There's a deed giving him the land for a dollar "and other considerations," presumably from some relative, not sure if it was his mother or an aunt or what, but my house and the one next door both came from what had been a ten acre parcel, that had been in the family at least from the 1870s, and maybe before.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 09:08 am:

Yeah, the deeds probably changed hands several times since yours were issued. They're pretty neat just to have though. They probably aren't worth much, unless you track down the descendants and offer to sell the deeds to them.

By Oswald Jr. on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 10:50 am:

Yeah I didnt figure they would be worth too much but I just thought maybe I should ask first still it is kinda cool to have stuff that is so old it is like a little bit of history. Not major history but like some bodys personal history.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:06 am:

My aunt and uncle live on land whose owners they can trace back to William Penn. (They live, naturally, in Pennsylvania.) Their property is also close to the land on which the Battle of the Brandywine occurred. When they renovated their house a few years ago, some archaeologists from the local historical society came out to survey their land, and they found old buttons, some bullets, and some cutlery presumably dropped by soldiers on the march on the way to Valley Forge.

What's also really cool is when you find old maps of your town in antique stores/flea markets. Or better yet, old pictures.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:19 am:

Make that "on the way to or from Valley Forge" -- I don't know which place they passed through first.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:31 am:

hey spider...in your Pennsylvania/Italian way of saying things, how do you pronounce the proper name Lucchese?

Do you say it: Lu KEY Z ?

or Lu KAY Z?

By Spider on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:45 am:

Using correct Italian pronunciation, you would say Lu KEH zeh. (hard S sound, hold the K for a beat.)

With an American accent, you would say Lu KAY zay.

In Philly, you would say Lu CHEE see, or something. Fie upon that.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 12:07 pm:

hmmm

he (sam) said his family told him the Pennsyvania-dutch influence on his family over the decade made the pronounciation Lu KEY Zee which he found out at a family get together talking to his old uncle "Louie" (who ran a boxing/numbers racket in Philly) that now that Sam was the "west coast/hollywood rep" of the family it's best if he used the "correct, italian" pronounciation which is Lu KAY zee....his family originated from Lucca

whether its correct or not, i think it funny

By patrick on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 12:09 pm:

he has said of lot of his family, moms, uncles, aunts, grandparents...growing up in the 40s, 50s and 60s shunned or ingored their italian culture...trying to fit in with mainstream america, so perhaps its really a family thing, that they changed the pronounciation of the name.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 12:22 pm:

There was a family of Lucchesi's in my home town. Their son was a complete prick. Their name was pronounced Lew-KAY-zae.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 01:28 pm:

Yeah, lu KAY zee's pretty close. It's good that they use the hard K sound and not the CH sound.

Just so you know, the "gl" combination should be pronounced like the "ll" in "million." Maglio is not "mag lee oh," but "mahl yo," for example. Most people get this wrong.

By Oswald Jr. on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:05 pm:

I talked to my boy friend about how i got these deeds and he said it mite be fun to take a road trip to the places where the land is just for the hell of it. We do not know anyone up there it would just be a silly excuase for a long drive and go some place we never been.

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:20 pm:

That sounds pretty fun, Oswald. Let us know if you do it!

I found the name of a sawmill printed on the back of one of the old clapboards while redoing the siding on my house. I've been meaning to go to Jeffersonville, VT, and find out info about it...maybe this summer, a northern road trip might be called for.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:32 pm:

yeah that does sound neat....you should definitly do it, and see about finding the families...like sem said, they may be well off and would pay good money to have those deeds....framed as a momento.

By Oswald Jr. on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:42 pm:

My folks are not so sure about my riding to the grocary store with Dorian much less going on a trip BUT maybe if I act real nice like I can talk them into it. They trust us I think but, they worry about the driving two teens in a car does not sound like a real hot idea to them theyd feel way beter if we was with adults. We would like to take a trip togeather soon even if we are with my folks or some body.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:43 pm:

get them to go with you, or one of you anyway.

he'll id do it one saturday afternoon...could be potentially interesting.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 03:38 pm:

You should go here.

In the beautiful Upper Peninsula, of course.

By Oswald Jr. on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 03:52 pm:

You're right Sem thats exactaly where I should go. Forget Mardi Gras I'm going to the shithouse races.

By DAD on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 05:44 pm:

IKFFGJHFJHNHDDHH

By heather on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 06:52 pm:

oh oswald

miss him

By agatha on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 09:27 pm:

Me, too. He was so cute and loveable.

By Gee on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 10:03 am:

I don't believe he was a real person.

By heather on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 02:57 pm:

that's okay, i'm not real either

By Hal on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 03:53 pm:

Are any of us real?

By Gee on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 05:26 pm:

heather is real. she is pretty and intimidating.

By Antigone on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 05:41 pm:

heather is real hot is what she is. And I ain't afraid to say it.

By wisper on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 08:01 pm:

gee and anti are correct.

By heather on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 04:09 pm:

you guys!

*blush*

By Antigone on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 05:39 pm:

Hal, are you having an existential crisis?

By J on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 02:36 am:

Oh sweet Jesus,Hal lives:) Psst say Sam what gives?BTW congrats T-Bone on your soon to be union.I have seen your picture and you are a hottie and your offspring will be as cute as Cleo and Kaylie and you.I finally made it to the Ikea store that opened here,all i can say is wow then WOW!!!!! What a trip!!! My life may never be the same.

By lapis on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 09:53 am:

nothing exists except within the mind.

we are your dreams and nightmares.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 06:34 pm:

Maybe that's why I've been in hiding;-)

No, I've just be swamped:-(

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact