"Firewall Obstacle"

sorabji.com: I need advice: "Firewall Obstacle"
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Czarina on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 10:19 am:

Anyone know how I can get around a firewall on the new computer at work,so I can get on the net?

Its online,cause it gets outlook express email,but the firewall keeps popping up,wanting a name and Id.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 11:14 am:

picture a motel-- a building with a lot of numbered doors. this is your company network. now, in each room of the motel is a magical unicorn that knows how to enter into astral space and accomplish certain tasks.

for example, behind door #110 is a unicorn that knows how to talk to the gnomish postoffice and retrieve your emails.

on the same note, behind door #80 is a unicorn that knows how to speak to the great spider goddess Lolth and retreive web pages.

in the case of your company's firewall, door #80 has been padlocked from the outside and you don't have the key.

now, there are two choices-- either get the key to unlock door #80, or find a way to use a unicorn behind a door that isn't locked to communicate with a Lolth.

the first method would almost certainly involve an exchange of sexual favors with someone in the IT department, who is almost certainly dwarfish. not recommended, but workable if you have the stomach for it.

the second method involves the stone of Proxys. if you can find someone who is willing, they can hang the stone of Proxys about the neck of the unicorn in THEIR room #80. this enables their unicorn to be in two rooms at once, for example room #80 and room #20801.

now, if your door to room #20801 is unlocked, you can send your unicorn to their room #20801, and via the unicorn adorned with the stone of Proxys, who exists in both #20801 and #80 at the same time, communicate with Lolth.

this is known as a proxy server.

By Hal on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 11:46 am:

That seriouly has to be the best metaphorical definition of a network I've ever heard....

I can't stop laughing.

By heather on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 12:03 pm:

eww boys. get a room.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 12:04 pm:

just dwarfish?

By Nate on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 12:24 pm:

a room.. but _which_ room?

by the way, the unicorn for secure web transactions is typically in room #443

By The Watcher on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 03:55 pm:

And, I thought I had hidden all the Unicorns.

Tomorrow they all get moved again.

By Czarina on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 04:23 pm:

Wow! I'm a little confused. I need to get to room #443? How do I get there? And,if I do, won't it ask me for a name and ID again?

I tried to hack in last night,from various angles,but kept running into the damn firewalls.

Do you mean someone from another computer,has to assist me? How can this be done,if I can't get online?

As I'm somewhat short of stature,I haven't completely ruled out the dwarf thing.

I have actually already given someone my cakes,in exchange for these passwords.

Pineapple upside down cakes.He's one of our maintance men,and he knows the guy who has the codes,so he's gonna try and get them for me.But I don't want to have to depend on him.

He may blackmail me for pastries,and make my life a living hell,constantly sweating away in the kitchen,to keep him shut up.

How can I progress with the proxy thing?

By The Watcher on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 04:51 pm:

To bad. Having to result to pastries for bribery.

I have to pay our tech person chocolate for personal favors. I think that can be much cheaper.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 07:56 pm:

you probably can't, cz. you'd need to figure out which ports aren't blocked in the firewall. then you'd need to find a server that will ferry web content through the port you can use. it's not something that most people would care to do for some random person.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 07:58 pm:

oh, and secure web transactions are things like using your bank account. sorabji is on port 80.

now that i think about it, these are server ports. requests out might be made on a different port? i don't know. you've reached the edge of my knowledge.

By Dougie on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 08:16 pm:

Nah, I'm sure it's already set up to allow traffic through on 80. If she calls the MIS department, and goes through the right hoops and paperwork, they'll give her a username & password and proxy servername or IP address she can type into her browser and voila, web access. 80 is a well-known port, whether on a server, or a firewall or router or proxy server, etc. It's the same whether incoming or outgoing.

By Czarina on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 08:40 am:

The MIS dept? Whats that? I'm, not proud, I'll call em. Just tell me who they are.

Maybe pineapple man will come through for me, he's supossed to call me Fri night at work.

So, pretty much, what you are telling me, is that without those secret codes, I won't be able to get online?

By Dougie on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 08:48 am:

The computer department. The IS or IT or MIS or ISD department, whoever runs the computers in your company. Quick question, you say there's a new computer at work that can't get internet access, but are there current computers on which can get access? If so, they just have to give you the right parameters to load on that new machine. Or is internet access blocked for all computers at work?

By Czarina on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 09:32 am:

No, the other computer,which is maybe 100 yards away gets online.

By The Dread Pirate Roberts on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 10:55 am:

There's not enough info here. It could be that the other workstation is on a different network or subnetwork that uses a separate Internet gateway. But there's probably only the one Internet circuit for an office, so there's likely a type of ACL (access control list) set up in the firewall rule base that allows outbound port 80 traffic from certain IP addresses on the LAN, but not others. Or that other machine is set up with the proxy server info; it would be worth checking the browser attributes some lunchtime. Could be other more obscure things as well; but you're unlikely to be able to hack a tech solution to this. You'll be better off with social engineering, or even a legit request for the password. But there's a reason IT shut down Net access, so be prepared to have a good job-related reason for having access. Checking out the latest sorabji ravings isn't it, unless perhaps you work at a mental health research facility.

By Spider on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 11:30 am:

Heh.

By patrick on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 11:33 am:

oh man.

By Czarina on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 12:30 pm:

Well, I'm not sure, but I think they want us to work while we're there. Not play on the internet.

I'm sure we're on the same network. I'm not sure who made the other work computer net accessible.

How do I check the browser attributes? And how will this help me?

There is no legit reason for me to have access to the internet that they will fall for. So I don't think thats a workable angle.

I will continue will the social engineering. Maybe pineapple man will come through.

By Antigone on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 01:55 pm:

The answer is simple: psychosexual engineering. Find the guy who maintains the firewall and give him a blowjob.

By The Watcher on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 05:08 pm:

Management (or Manager) of Information Systems.

Big titles for small minds.

I used to create wonderfully long titles for myself when I worked as an accounting clerk doing collections.

Eastern Regional Manager for Debt Collections is one I remember.

I even told one customer his bill was about to celebrate its' first birthday. And, asked if he wanted to come to the party. He paid the bill shortly after that.

By The Dread Pirate Roberts on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:01 am:

To check proxy server configs in Netscape (the choice of anti-fascists everywhere), go to Edit|Preferences|Advanced|Proxies|Manual proxy setup|View. For all you devil worshippers using IE, it's Extras|Internetoptionen|Verbindungen|LAN-Einstellungen|Proxyserver verwenden. Sorry, my IE is in German for obscure reasons. If there's any info there, copy it down and put it into yours.

By Czarina on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:11 am:

Alrightly then.

That doesn't sound too hard.

If I were Bill Gates!

But,i'll check it out,and see what I can find.

Put it into my what/where? New computer? Where?

By J on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 08:23 am:

My computer had a backdoor virus,it's been down a week,now it's fixed and he put a firewall on this too,I lost all my files,documents and e-mail,it's a drag.

By Czarina on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 06:11 am:

Heh Heh Heh! I'm posting from my new computer at work!

New guy got me on.

Thank goodness I didn't have to participate in any midget sex. I was worried about their little bity undies,and how easy it might be to misplace them. Then I'd be responsible for replacing them,and they might be a custom item, and God knows where I'd find a midget undie maker.

This is much better.

By J on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:00 pm:

I just want you to know if you find any midget underwear,please send them to me,I have a little buisness on the side,and midget underwear will fetch top dollar(even more if they smell)e-mail me for details,I'll give you half.

By Fb on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:57 pm:

was that "pasties" or "pastries"

By Fetidbeaver on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 02:03 pm:

cz, do like me. (1) gather physical evidence (2) "blow the whistle" (3) have all day to play on the net-at home

it's an easy 3 step process with guaranteed results, trust me

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact