Practical Joke

sorabji.com: I need advice: Practical Joke
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Fetidbeaver on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 01:31 pm:

i was in a military surplus store and saw a practice bomb. The type that hangs below the wing. i have been thinking about buying it, strapping it to the roof of my car and driving around with a turbin and fake beard. i think this would be a funny gag. With the current climate, does any one know if one could be arrested?

p.s. license plates stating ALLAH would really make the gag great.

By droopy on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 02:01 pm:

it would only be illegal if you were to remove your legal plates and put on fake ALLAH ones. other than that you can strap a non-working bomb to your car and wear anything you want. you'd be more likely to be pulled over, though.

of course, if you really caused an uproar they could probably get you on disturbing the peace or some other law that's really open to interpretation.

but i say go for it. and take pictures.

how much is a dummy bomb running for these days?

By Fetidbeaver on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 02:12 pm:

$150.00 for a 500lb.
    $200.00 for a 750lb.

By agatha on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 02:26 pm:

do you really think that would be funny?

By patrick on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 02:37 pm:

yeah there are all kinds of new fucked up laws under the Patriot Act. You should examine that first to make sure you wouldn't be violating some law vague on definiton, as droop says.

I think its fucking hilarious that beav is even considering dropping a couple of c-notes on dummy bombs to begin with.

I guess since you're clean you have lots of disposable income now.

By Cat on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 04:55 pm:

On the subject of pranks (but not to compare to FB's idea)...

I heard the woman who called in after 9/11 and said she'd got a mobile phone call from someone under the rubble, got three years.

The radio news story said she'd had a friend killed in the WTC and was distraught etc.

I thought a three year sentence was a bit steep, although it was undoubtedly a cruel and dangerous hoax.

By J on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 04:56 pm:

I wouldn't advise it FB though I can see why you want to do it,same way as when that anthrax was going around I had to talk a friend out of sending a letter with white powder in it to a very,very,wealthy,hypochrondiac we know.

By The Watcher on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 05:26 pm:

FB I advise you to forget it. The idea is very funny. But, the reallity of the times makes it a very dangerous thing to do.

It would make a great funniest videos segment. Especially if you could be filmed asking for directions to national landmarks with a phoney accent.

Unfortunately something like that could get you arrested at least; or, killed if done in the wrong place.

By semillama on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 05:33 pm:

Fuck that. Go for it. Park it in the lot of a 7-11.
    Try to drive through a gated neighborhood.

Write "Hijack this Fags" on it, then claim it fell
    on your car and you are trying to bring it back
    to the Navy.

Better yet, write "Evolution" on it and drop it off
    at Ivan Reitman's house.

By patrick on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 07:11 pm:

i love that sem. naturally The Advocate got its panties all in a wad when that pictured aired back in the fall. You could see the eyes of the munitions servicefolk rolling when they got that lecture about using such words on bombs.

You could just write "collateral damage" on your car beav.

If you went though with this beav, you'd top my all time "thats fucking punk rock" list, if that means anything at all.

By Dougie on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 07:30 pm:

And all these things would be funny, why?

By dave. on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 08:40 pm:

a local "artist" in seattle, one of the guys who clamped a giant ball and chain to the hammering man in front of the seattle art museum, had the word "bomb" spray-painted on his old 70's delta 88 beater type car and the spd shut down several square blocks and brought in their ridiculously expensive bomb robot (millions of dollars for something that's designed to get blowed up real good?) during rush hour in downtown seattle.

after a week in jail, this guerilla artist/activist was crying like a baby all over the news claiming that he never intended the event to become what it became. what did he intend when he parked a car with "bomb" spray-painted on it on the sidewalk and dramatically jumped out and ran away from it? he probably intended to get away with it. ha ha ha, artboy.

By Platypus on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 09:01 pm:

see, the thing about personalized plates is that the DMV requires you to explain the meaning of the plate. If they think it's offensive/in poor taste, they won't let you have it.

The DMV's version of "in poor taste" is rather different than mine, I must say. I don't see how "I(heart symbol)FRUIT" is an offensive licenseplate.

By Cat on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 09:37 pm:

I find BMW's with number plates like "IMRICH" really offensive.

By heather on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 10:01 pm:

ok

when would a joke about blowing people up have been funny?

i worked for a guy who had a license plate that said 'designr' or something.
    it was just sad really.

my old housemate's license number is 1313. some family number- they seem to very keen on that sort of thing in boston. that number was responsible for my satanic phone number. i miss that number and the little kids who made prank calls.
    that family number stuff would have been a lot sweeter had he moved on with his life and wasn't still blaming his father for his unhappiness.
    i would have blamed the alcoholism.

By Fetidbeaver on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 11:24 pm:

Ok folks i acquired a turbin this eve and hope to get the bomb on monday. (i have to drive 180 miles to pick it up) i'll get the pics but someone will have to scan them onto the net for me.....maybe SORABJI?...."driving around asking directions to national landmarks"....hehehe

By patrick on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 11:21 am:

holy shit

"yeah yeah yeah i knew that guy. he even got me high once"

By The Watcher on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 03:12 pm:

I don't think I want to know any more.

If I see a story like this on the news I'm afraid I'll need a change of cloths.

By Fester on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 03:27 pm:

realize that you might get shot doing this
    just by mistake

By Cat on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 04:13 pm:

Realize that you may make someone really genuinely afraid. And that makes you different from a terrorist how?

By heather on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 04:27 pm:

that's a lot of time and effort to put into being an asshole

and you would definitly be an asshole if you say, scared my grandmother into having a heart attack. or someone else. or just freaked out a little kid for no reason. or got yourself shot.

By Fetidbeaver on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 05:48 pm:

well if you want to do something right....
    trust me i've put more time into being an asshole before.

By patrick on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 05:49 pm:

would people actually believe him to be a threat with a dummy bomb strapped to the roof of car with some smart ass remark written on it when such a device is ordinarily armed and discharged from the wing of a jet designed to explode upon hitting the earth at great velocity?

would that be hysteria?

By Dougie on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 05:54 pm:

Probably not, but it's supposed to be a "joke". Not sure how many people would find the humor in it, or what it's supposed to signify or make light of. What is it supposed to signify or make light of?

By Nate on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 06:18 pm:

assualt. felony. one count per person.

you will get arrested.

By droopy on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 06:21 pm:

when i picture this in my mind's eye, i see the beav in his regular guy car with the bomb on top, his fake beard and turban, and "al qaeda taxi co." or whatever on the side. if that pulled up next to me at a stoplight i would bust out laughing. and not because it makes light of anything.

and, honestly, there's a level at which the simple act of strapping five or seven hundred and fifty pounds of dummy bomb to the top of a car alone validates this for me. it's a guy thing. this guy, anyway.

and i'm willing to risk fetibeaver's life for this.

By patrick on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 06:29 pm:

where's the assault?

By Dougie on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 06:32 pm:

If that pulled up next to me at a stoplight, I'd roll down my window and say, "What the fuck's wrong with you?" because it makes light of something that's just not funny -- people getting killed, whether Afghanis or Americans.

By patrick on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 06:40 pm:

I don't think it makes light of anything.

one of the more infamous protests against Jesse Helmes involved inflating a giant condom in front of his house because he was against proper sex education in the classroom during the AIDS epidemic.

Was that making light of all the people who died of AIDS? No.

Its the irony involved that he can go to a surplus store and pick up such an item, but damned if he can bring a pair of finger nail clippers on a plane.

By Dougie on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 06:49 pm:

Not ironic. Fingernail clippers could presumably be used as a weapon. A disabled bomb could not (unless a hell of a lot of effort went into dropping it directly on somebody off a building or out of a plane, which is doubtful.)

By heather on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 06:59 pm:

if people somehow 'dressed as people with aids' were rolling all over his lawn having sex- i would think that it would be making light of the people who died of aids

the condom was a symbol of protection, of avoiding death and hurting people

duh

By patrick on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 07:09 pm:

and the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile fits in this matter....where?

By droopy on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 07:22 pm:

i don't think it's ironic either. and i don't want to over-think this - i'm under the assumption that fetid is doing this because he is, and i mean this in the best possible way, a meat-head. (this is where the weinermobile fits in.) but i still want him to succeed.

By heather on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 07:23 pm:

because it makes light of the weapon

i was trying to point out that YOUR example doesn't fit the situation.

i could also note that your example was a protest, fb thinks that his car is a funny funny joke.

somehow i couldn't help but say something, even though i keep thinking he's just pulling our legs.

By patrick on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 08:00 pm:

damn i thought he was making a statement.

the buffoonery is obvious.

By Fetidbeaver on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 01:28 am:

you people read too much into this, it's nothing more than a gag to stir people up and if i can get SORABJI to post it on the big picture...then so much the better. you have to remember, i'm the guy who spent a day in the Kern County Jail for buying a bag of apples, a bag of carmels, popscicle sticks and box of razor blades on halloween as a joke.

By Nate on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 12:07 pm:

if i point a fake gun at you and you fear for your life, it is assualt.

if you drive around with a fake bomb and people fear for their life, it is assualt.

By heather on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 12:32 pm:

oh ok

you're right

people aren't stirred up enough these days

it might be obvious, but i think your jokes suck
    i'll shut up now

By Sorabji on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 01:18 pm:

how did i get involved in this conversation?

oh, i see... er, no comment.

By Czarina on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 06:01 pm:

I can't believe no one consulted me on this matter,as I am the self proclaimed Mistress of Mayhem.

Bad idea.

The world is filled with ignorant people who wouldn't see the humor.

The US is filled with grievieng family members who lost loved ones in the tragedy.I don't think if any of them saw it,they would think it was funny at all.

Bin Laden might think it was funny.

By droopy on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 06:13 pm:

do it anyway.

today i saw a guy in a chevy blazer who had a store mannequin in the passenger seat. get yourself a mannequin and put the beard and turban on it. that way when they shoot, they'll aim for the dummy. the fake one.

By Antigone on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 06:52 pm:

If you post something and it makes me afraid, it's assualt.

I JUST WANT MY LIFE BACK!

YOU'RE HURTING ME!!!!

STOP HARASSING ME!!!!!!!

By Fetidbeaver on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 07:18 pm:

Lucy Phurre?!?! aaah, old memories....

what happened to rugged Americans who were not afraid of their own shadows. i'm sick of the crybabies and their whining that someone offended or scared them....i gotta do the bomb thing now. maybe i'll paint "EAT DICK" on it.

By Fetidbeaver on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 07:30 pm:

Droopy, as far as your mannequin idea goes, i do have a sister who owns some retail stores. i want to get a mannequin from her and a body bag, then drag the bag/body out into my backyard during the night and bury it. i figure it won't take long for a neighbor to report it and the police to show up with a warrant and shovels. i could sit on my deck and giggle. maybe even offer them some ice water.

By Czarina on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 02:24 am:

Hows the new marriage going?

By Hal on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 08:00 am:

Go for it FB.

I'd laugh my ass off... Its a lot fuckin better then seeing fucking comercials saying that if... "You smoke pot, your funding terrorists."

I'm sorry, but I see the connection, but I ignore it if I saw that. Its just fucking funny, but then again I'm probably just another meat head.

If people can't find the humor in it, then they need some serious fixes to their psyche because I fear they take things WAY to fucking seriously.

By patrick on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 01:51 pm:

nate without bothering to go look it up, I can't believe the law is that simplistic and moronic. not saying you're wrong but it can't be that simple.

i was at an airport back in Dec., 3 hunters were checking in their guns along with their suit cases. They had to open the cases for the agent. I was scared. Did they assault me?

By semillama on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 02:43 pm:

I might concede that carrying the joke through
    is bad taste, but simply talking about it is not.

If you go through with this, which is probably a
    bad idea, but, hey you're fetidbeaver,
    apparently it's your holy mission to do such
    things, and who am I to mess with someone's
    religion? Anyway, if you do, the more
    appropriate venues for posting photos would
    be rotten.com, consumptionjunction.com, and
    subgenius.com.

And remember, it is still a sad commentary
    that "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke" is not a
    valid legal defense in this country.

By Dougie on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 11:07 pm:

Yeah, paint EAT A DICK on it, then take your own advice.

Re mannequins in the passenger seat, people do that out here to beat the HOV lane laws. Now that, I find funny.

FB, while you're at it, why don't you dress up as a priest, get some mannequins of little boys, take them to your local church, and pretend to bend them over them altar. Now that'd be hysterical, and I'm sure you'd be really commended for it around here too, with pictures and attaboys and whatnot. Go for it dude.

By heather on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:03 am:

hal, i find it interesting that you wrote this:

"If people can't find the humor in it, then they need some serious fixes to their psyche because I fear they take things WAY to fucking seriously."

By Czarina on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:15 am:

Beav, if you go for it,I'll bake you a cake with a file in it.

I guess I can't say too much,cause when the whole terrorist thing started,I did a terrible thing,to terrorize my spawn.

I didn't have a fake beard,but I luckily had a skunk tail,[from a costume I'd worn],and I wrapped my hair up in a towel,and put the skunk tail on like a beard,[which wasn't easy,cause it had a wire,and wanted to stick up,like a tail],but finally I kinda got it to look like a beard,and i hid in a tree in my yard,and waited for my kids to come home from the school bus,and jumped out of the tree.

Sometimes I'm not a very good mom.

By moonit on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:19 am:

I bet your kids wouldn't trade you in Cz.

By J on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:03 pm:

No,they will wait till she's sleeping and kill her for her credit cards:)

By semillama on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:51 pm:

fB, there's a subgenius who will post photos
    for you if you go through with it. Contact me for
    details.

By Fetidplumberbeaver on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:02 pm:

sem, here comes my address. there will be a delay in the prank. the water heater at the house i just sold took a shit. i assured the lady it worked fine. i am not obligated to replace it but she's a single mom and i feel that i should.

By pamela on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 06:32 pm:

FB I think I love you!

You are hilarious! I wish you didn't live so far away, I'd love to get in trouble with you, or at least kick back and watch you in action. That thing about burying the mannequins in your backyard, that is funny shit.

By heather on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 07:10 pm:

yeah. i was into the mannekijn thing. it made a little movie in my head.

By Czarina on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

Mannequins make the best lovers.

You never hear a peep out of them.

I don't think you should bury them.

You might be destroying some of the best love stories waiting to be written.

By pamela on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 01:19 am:

FB, can I come watch when you do this? This is seriously funny stuff. You should have your own television show. You're hilarious!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact