Tax help

sorabji.com: I need advice: Tax help
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Spider on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 01:30 pm:

Please. Please don't call me dumb for not noticing this until now.

I lived in Prince George's County, Maryland until this August, when I moved to Montgomery County. Right before I moved, I filled out the Change of Address form at work, and I assumed this would take care of everything, including everything paycheck related.

My paychecks have been mailed to the right address, all benefits-related mail has been sent to the right address, etc.

So it never occurred to me that something might not be right.

It also never occurred to me to look that closely at my paycheck.

Which I did yesterday.

And I noticed that Prince George's Co. taxes are still being taken out of my paycheck, with no sign of anything going to Montgomery Co.

So this morning I called my company's payroll office, which is in the main office in Dayton, Ohio. They tell me that they can't do anything about past taxes, but tell me that I needed to fill out a separate form for Payroll to take out the right local taxes. So at least from here forward I'm cool.

**But what do I do about the 7 months' worth of taxes I've been paying to the wrong county?**

Is this a big problem? Are there appropriate tax forms I can fill out when I do my taxes this month? Should I just pay local taxes to P.G. Co. this year and pay Montgomery Co. next year? Is there someone (some office, some municipal headquarters) I can talk to about this?

I feel really stupid and full of anxiety. Someone give me some advice I can use.

By Spider on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 02:20 pm:

God, have I really stumped you all with my stupidity?

By droopy on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 03:44 pm:

don't ask me, angel. i have a woman do my taxes for me.

By spunky on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 03:53 pm:

I would not worry about it. they are like city taxes. never an audit, never a report

By Spider on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 03:58 pm:

Thank you both for your input. It occurred to me that I pay my state and local taxes together, so maybe it won't make a difference. Also, there must be a phone number on the tax form that I can call for info, right?

By patrick on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 04:06 pm:

Who does your taxes spider?

By Fetidbeaver on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 04:16 pm:

check with the state and see if they will figure and file it for you for free. they do that here (Iowa). every year they set up a tax clinic in each county, it's free and if their accountant screws up you aren't held responsible. i'm lazy i never file my own anymore.

By Spider on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 04:27 pm:

I do my taxes. I don't have any investments or dependents or anything complicated, so it's usually easy.

Hmmm...a tax clinic. I have gotten some mailings about doing them over the phone...

By patrick on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 05:16 pm:

i was going to suggest running this by a professional.

I really don't think its much to worry about at all.

By spunky on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 05:23 pm:

patty,
    do you like playing good cop/bad cop?

By patrick on Tuesday, March 5, 2002 - 05:48 pm:

um

sure spunk.

i like playing with good AND bad cops.

By moonit on Wednesday, March 6, 2002 - 02:32 am:

I would of answered, but we only have one tax co.

By The Watcher on Friday, March 8, 2002 - 02:09 am:

Maryland is strange. But, I think the money is sent to the state and they distribute it to the counties.

Call the State Comptrollers Office they should be able to tell you. If you really feel gutsy ask to speak to Scheafer directly.

By Spider on Friday, March 8, 2002 - 08:58 am:

State Comptrollers Office, eh? Will do. Thanks!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact