Attitude assessment needed!

sorabji.com: I need advice: Attitude assessment needed!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 03:21 pm:

If you received this message, what would you think:

[Your name], Karen has asked me to forward these two emails to you. (Maybe she has forgotten how to spell your name?) They concern the invoicing of the University of Mxxxxx and whether or not we are expecting prepayment. Karen believes you know the answer -- please reply to her in any case.

Thanks,

[Spider]

Karen is a coworker of ours, who knows full well how to spell [Your name]'s name, works down the hall from him, and could easily have forwarded him the emails herself.

How would interpret my attitude in the email? Joking? Bitchy? Neutral?

By Nate on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 03:24 pm:

bitchy

By eri on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 03:27 pm:

My first impression, annoyed.

Why do you have to forward the emails anyways? Seriously, I don't understand why you are getting involved in this. You would think that if there wasn't any problem, then your co-worker would handle this, so if you are handling it, there may be a problem and you would be stuck right in the middle of it.

Again, these are just my first impressions.

By Spider on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 03:34 pm:

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I was feeling quite bitchy when I wrote it. Unfortunately, I tried to recall the message before it was read. The message recall failed because it had already been read, and [Your name] now knows I tried to recall it.

Jeez, if I'm going to be bitchy, I should be consistent. Nothing's more lame than half-assed bitchiness.

By Spider on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 04:23 pm:

New irritation:

I just got off the phone with some guy who had apparently trying to help me. Gosh, I have been suffering from retrograde amnesia and mental retardation all this time and have never known it -- thanks, Chip!

This guy sends me a link to http://www.quickbase.com -- a big website full of thousands of databases. My task was to login to one particular database and straighten up my department's list of contacts.

So I go to the site. I see I have to create an account. I try to create an account, and it says I already have an account. Really? News to me.

So I try to login and say I forgot my password. It asks me the security question: when were you born?

I type in 1978. Rejected. 6-12-78, 6/12/78, June 12 1978, June, June 12, 5:45 am, 6/12/1978...all rejected. The error message says, "that was not the answer you gave when you created the account."

Wellll....I didn't create the account. Say, maybe the guy who sent me the email did.

So I email him to describe the situation.

He calls me back. Clearly, I created the account and just forgot the password. Why don't I just answer the security question?

Well, for one thing, I didn't create the account. And it rejected all my answers.

You must have created the account -- the account exists, doesn't it?

I have never used this site before. If there is an account under my name, I did not create it.

You must have -- you just don't remember.

Oh, I swear I didn't, sir. I have never used this site before.

People forget their passwords all the time. You really should make a list of your passwords and keep it by your computer.

I didn't forget my password. I have never used this site before.

Look, I'm showing you have two accounts.

Well, I just tried to create an account a few minutes ago...

Why did you do that? That *really* screws things up. Do you see the link where it says "forgot your password?" Why didn't you just click on that?

I didn't know I had a password. I have never used this site before. I did what I always do when I first visit a site that requires registration -- I registered for a new account.

You really shouldn't have done that. I know it's hard for people to remember their passwords, so make sure you write your password down next time.

I don't think there will be a next time, sir. Thank you for your time.

I work with the public. I understand that people don't think sometimes and they ask dumb questions. I do my best to be patient, make them laugh, treat them for what they are -- viz., pretty smart people (they're all librarians) who sometimes overlook something or aren't fully awake yet.

Good heavens. I've had my bellyful of being treated like a mental incompetent.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 04:33 pm:

whats unecessary in this message?

"(Maybe she has forgotten how to spell your name?) "

Thats totally unecessary regardless of how much of a retard karen is being.

i've been advised on this kind of attitude here at work recently and in the past. i tend to be quite emotional and get overheated and say things that are probably unecessary. Not overt, but the little things, that clearly state my annoyance but really aren't productive.

It usually happens over the phone

I've been advised to tell the source of annoyance that i have to check on the problem and get back to them. Cool off. Rethink. Same with emails and letters.

A recent example was when I was sending a letter to a distributor. We were forced to cease the distro of the mags to a chain of college bookstores (important market for us) essentially because of the distributors incompetence to adhere to market standards of distribution.

In my letter I go on to cite the issues (and failures of said dist.) at hand, that had already been discussed in emails. The letter was merely a formality. My boss asked me..."Does this NEED to be here?" Of course I cut my paragraph down to one sentence with the necessary tidbits. Everything else was inflammatory and as much as we would have liked to give them a piece of our mind, it was best for the company that i didnt.

Try this approach, as Im having to, and it seems to be helping.

We can't always say what we want, as you know.

By Spider on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 04:38 pm:

I know! That's why I tried to recall the message.

The guy I sent it to has left for the day -- I'll try to apologize to him tomorrow morning.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 04:48 pm:

at first i was going to say don't bother apologizing or saying anything. its entirely possible he didnt think of the bitchy aspect.

but then again maybe its a good idea, if you just pass it off...blame a 3rd party, like the techie assmunch giving you a hard time, as to why you were bitchy.

its something i wouldnt be too bothered by.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 04:48 pm:

at first i was going to say don't bother apologizing or saying anything. its entirely possible he didnt think of the bitchy aspect.

but then again maybe its a good idea, if you just pass it off...blame a 3rd party, like the techie assmunch giving you a hard time, as to why you were bitchy.

its something i wouldnt be too bothered by.

By I love rainbows and puppies on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 05:24 pm:

Of course, if your co-worker is a male, he'll just chalk it up to you being a woman. I don't mean that in a negative way; men are dicks, and think like that.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 05:37 pm:

not all.

but maybe my experience of working with numerous queeny men has jaded me.

i don't ever reduce someone's behavior to their gender.

have you ever noticed men are bitchy after sex? they say its because testosterone is stirred up.

i get absolutely furious when my position is passed off as "just being a post-coital bitch", muchlike a woman would get furious if i just wrote her bitchy position off as being menstrual

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 07:12 pm:

Hmm, I don't think I feel bitchy, just tired and content. A post-coital nap in the afternoon on a weekend is heaven.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 07:37 pm:

"Of course, if your co-worker is a male, he'll just chalk it up to you being a woman. I don't mean that in a negative way; men are dicks, and think like that."

this is a great post.

there is no real way to say you're not being sarcastic, because that always seems to be an indicator that you are really be sarcastic, but honestly, i'm not being sarcastic.

it's like a koan you'd find in a book called 'the idiots guide to men and women.'

it would be in a thought bubble next to a cartoon woman.

By Spider on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 08:23 am:

I'm not going to apologize unless someone says something to me about it. It *was* weird that Karen had me send the info to the guy instead of sending it herself. I just acknowledged that. In the future, I won't make pissy comments about coworkers to other coworkers. The end.

By Nate on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 10:40 am:

defintely don't apologize.

not making unnecessary comments about people when they are not involved is generally good practice in an office environment. 'work nate' is very careful about what he says and how he says it.

By patrick on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 11:38 am:

'work patrick' is working on what he says and how he says it too.

if i applied my standards here at work to here on sorabji, you'd never hear from me.

By Spider on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 11:55 am:

People here have told me I possess supernatural patience. Tee hee.

"Work Spider" is becoming even more reserved.

By J on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 01:45 pm:

You need to bust out a little spider,sometimes I think you may well become a nun:)

By spunky on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 02:04 pm:

Work Spunky can spell!!!!!
    Really!!! I am also very careful about how I phrase anything. Much easier to do when you are typing versus talking.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact