good graduation presents?

sorabji.com: I need advice: good graduation presents?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 04:53 pm:

i am going to a college graduation this weekend and i want to get the woman who is graduating something special, fun, or unique. she earned a BA in advertising - with an emphasis in creative rather than business. but she's also in queue to be considered for a teaching internship. she wants to teach elementary school.

anyway. i don't want to give her money or a gift certificate. but i'm totally stumped. all i got when i graduated was $$.

any ideas?

and please don't say Graduation Barbie - she already got one for high school graduation.

By heather on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 05:13 pm:

a printer

a puppy

drugs

a book

brownies

any combination of the above

graduation barbie, you can never have too many

By patrick on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 05:22 pm:

a batch of pot brownies goes over well.

By LoneStranger on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 05:43 pm:

Big black rubber dong.

Or a rubber fist. Though, the question is, balled up fist, or fingertips together?

LS

By Dougie on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 06:47 pm:

I had a similar situation with my sister a month ago and had no idea what to get her, so I sent her Omaha Steaks. Nothing says congrats like a big box of cow flesh.

By eri on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 06:58 pm:

What is something specific to the field she could use? My best friend graduated from nursing school and wanted some thing for CPR aid that was at medical supply stores for $15.

If your friend is working on the creative side of advertising, then is there some art tool she could use? Or if she is going to teach is there some book about that grade you could get her?

When all else fails, a special bracelet or something like that works great!

By Dougie on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 07:20 pm:

Nah, no artsy-fartsy or useful stuff, go for the gusto -- MEAT.

By Platypus on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 07:50 pm:

I knit a hat out of neat fuzzy yarn for a friend who just graduated. Something you make yourself means more, I think. I always have a devil of a time coming up with good presents for people.

By J on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 07:53 pm:

I tried to look up the store before I posted it,but my Heather got a real nice graduation gift for a friend last year at a shop at fiesta mall,I'm sure every mall has a shop like this,it sold silver and pewter engraved things.She got her friend a silver box,the top you can put a picture in and it was the size maybe to hold mail in,anyway she had it engraved with the graduation year and name etc.I thought that was kind of speacial.I hinted around that the silver flask bottle was right up my alley,but have yet to receive one,if she does go into teaching elementary school,this might be just the thing.Or some nice stamps and ink pad.

By eri on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 10:21 pm:

"Things Remembered" is the name of one of the mall chains that does the engraving stuff like that. Anything from a pen to crystal wine glasses. They have all kinds of stuff.

By wisper on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 11:06 pm:

food, give food.
    you graduate, you need food.

(trans.- i need food)

By Santagraduaclaus ssss on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 11:12 pm:

Tickets to Frankfort Germany, or Des Moines Iowa, or someplace in a little closer. Travel vouchers are always great. Even a gift certificate for a night in a great hotel, with room service breakfast included. Travel. Travel. Travel.

Brownies go good with travel.

No offense, but engraved shot glasses, Anything to do With Work or Potential Occupation, or money...c'mon. I thought we were a creative bunch....

A massage or book of coupons for massages...season tickets to something musical or athletic... a piece of sculpture you like... a painting or anything you made yourself (little boxes to little books are good)...Wearable chocolate, hmmmm.

By agatha on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 02:30 am:

some delicious sarah style baked good and a really beautiful design book.

no charge.

By semillama on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 12:51 pm:

I presented Elizabeth with a nice Polish glass
    vase last night for her successful master's
    defence. I didn't originally plan on that, just
    flowers, but then I remembered she didn't
    have anything to put flowers in when I gave
    her roses, and she had to use an Sun Tea jar.
    So, it was a practical and decorative gift. I
    hope I don't overwhelm her with this stuff. I
    don;t think I am, though. I think she really likes
    it, and I think from how she talks that no one
    has treated her like I do.

Anyway, my advice is to go to Target and
    wander around until something leaps out at
    you. or gift certificates to a store she really
    likes.

By sarah on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 03:58 pm:

hey thanks y'all!

i like the making a gift idea - i can make some pretty neat jewelry. also the massage gift certificate, and a design case or portfolio... though i'm with daniel about no work-related stuff. if i could afford to send her traveling somewhere, i think that's the best idea of them all, though i'm not sure if she's big on traveling. kinda a homebody type. she's also very sentimental, so something engraved, a little treasure might work.

all good food for thought. i better get crackin.

By sarah on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 03:59 pm:

oh, and Dougie... personally i'd adore receiving the gift of MEAT, but she is unfortunately for her a vegetarian.

By heather on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 04:21 pm:

no gift certificates!!!

i always forget to use them and then feel really guilty every time i remember how ungrateful i am

By patrick on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 04:43 pm:

whats to be ungrateful about a gift certificate? overly practical and a bit lazy, yes, but nothing to be ungrateful about you weirdo.

By heather on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 06:39 pm:

i forget to use them

not being conscientious enough to remember them and use them is bad

i feel bad when i remember that i waste them

By patrick on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 07:26 pm:

sounds you're the problem more than the gift itself.

By heather on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 08:23 pm:

yes i am

By eri on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 11:33 pm:

Don't worry Heather, I am the exact same. I forget about them, and then when I remember them it is too late and they have exprired or something. I hate getting gift certificates. Only used one, to "Hobby Lobby" and my $50 gift certificate got me enough to make a quilt for Micki's crib and that was ALL. Couldn't get a cool vase for my glass blown florals or anything like that. It was all but useless, but Micki was warm for a month.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact