building a crossbar

sorabji.com: I need advice: building a crossbar
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 02:38 pm:

Ok.

So in a week and a half an idea ive been simmering for two years will come alive.

i finally found the right subject.

the hanging nude. not hanging as in rope/neck/nuese. not hanging as in hog tied and pulled up with a pulley (although we have that device in my studio that i may try) but hanging as in hanging from a crossbar on their own strength, drawing out the muscles and exagerrating the definition in the limbs.

I need to build this. Any suggestions how?

Bear in mind, its ideal if it can be adjustable but not necessary.

Im on a slim budget.

It needs to be at least 6 1/2 feet to accommodate even the tallest of models.

in our studio we have these 2 adjustable IV stands with 1" wide loops at the top. I thought about just getting a strong enough pipe, running it through the loops and doing it that way. But i try and be better than a piece-meal carpenter.

any ideas will be greatly appreciated

By Spider on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 03:01 pm:

A BDSM equipment store might sell something you could use. LA has to have places like this.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 03:12 pm:

sure but what they have are more like cuffs that wrap around the wrists. We already have that...in which a person is hoisted up with a pulley device. its mounted from a brace in the ceiling. a performance group who rehersed there donated it to the studio.

in that case, the model is not holding themselves up though, and that the difference.

and yes, there are all kinds of BSDM stores here in fact one right down the street from my house.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 03:16 pm:

think in terms of a crossbar that say a gymnast would use. thats what i need.

By Spider on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 03:17 pm:

Maybe a place that sells weight-lifting equipment?

By heather on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 03:20 pm:

wouldn't it be difficult to hang from the stands without pulling them over?

you could get clamps and attach a pipe to the wall- or to the wall on one side and the stand on the other

chains to hang a pipe or whatever to the ceiling? at least it would be easy to adjust the height

it would be a lot easier to go to a playground

By heather on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 03:22 pm:

call up the ymca

you live in la, it seems like it would be easy to rent just about anything for a day

By patrick on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 03:36 pm:

thats a possibility heather, spider.

i was thinking if maybe taking 2 7ft 4x4s, using 2x4"s firmly nailed on one end each to form a base, and then drilling those large rings that screw in on the otherside of the 4x4 and slide a pole through them.

yeah the IV stands very well could fall in on themselves due to the weight. but sure a pair of 4x4s with a solid base could stand the weight.

the chains is not a bad idea but would be more complex mounting them to a brace in the attic and would require another hole in the ceiling as well.

ideal this should be able to be broken down for storage.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 03:53 pm:

i tracked down a ballet supply place that would rent me an 8ft ballet bar for a week for $150. This kind of sucks as its out of my budget for this. Dang. I already have to buy 2/$50 dollar lampheads, rent a portrait lense and film.

I wonder what it takes to build one of those fuckers.

By heather on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 04:08 pm:

the wood and hardware might cost you that much

maybe you could tell the ballet people that you're a starving artist and get a deal

By Antigone on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 04:33 pm:

By patrick on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 05:26 pm:

thanks guys. unfortunately tiggy that needs to be mounted on a wall giving me no room for a background.

leave it to my studiomate/former teacher/mentor/former carpenter to confuse the hell out of me with engineering jargon. he said:

"I would use 1/16" braided cable with a 3/4 copper pipe or aluminum conduit. I have a suaging tool and sleeves for clamping the cable and
    swiss cable cutters. You can borrow them. You just need the cable. You can get it at a rigging supply in Burbank called Ver Sales. It's
    cheap, like .10 per foot. You'll probably need about fifty feet."

i tried talking the ballet chump, he said they dont really pro-rate. He didnt seem to care.

He's gonna help me make a fucking trapeze in my god damn studio.

By Antigone on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 05:37 pm:

Who needs the cable cutters? Use your teeth!

By patrick on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 05:41 pm:

well if i could borrow your ass tiggy, that would be sufficient.

By Spider on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 06:20 pm:

His ass is that sharp?

By patrick on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 06:25 pm:

cutting cable is less about sharpness and more about raw brute strength.

By heather on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 06:43 pm:

did i miss something? what are you supposed to do with the cable, rig it from the ceiling? between parallel walls of the studio?

By patrick on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 06:59 pm:

yeah he's gonna help me loop the cable around the joists in the ceiling. He said its 500lb support cable. drill holes in the pipe and suage (?) it making a trapeze like device.

we already have a hole in the ceiling that was made so the leather/pulley device we already have could be hooked up and we have this 15ft ladder to get up in there.

its crazy man.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 07:01 pm:

By Dougie on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 07:04 pm:

I'd lick her F-holes.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 07:06 pm:

dude.

By Dougie on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 07:07 pm:

Really, that's what you call those holes on a violin or cello. They're F-holes. And they're very becoming on her. I just thought the play on words was cute.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 07:09 pm:

oh.

yeah.

cute.

the tattoo is actually an hommage to man ray.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 07:11 pm:

By patrick on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 06:14 pm:

well. we got it built. easy as fuckin pie. took us like 2o minutes.

the scariest part was traveling 15 feet to the ceiling on a wobbly, yet sturdy ladder with a drill in hand. drilled two holes a foot apart in the 6x2" joist. 20 feet of braided cable, in one hole out the other. two holes drilled in a closet dowel, suage the two ends together, voila!

its strong as a mother fucker too as the ceiling joists are extremely sturdy and the cable is mega strong, super thin.

this should be fun. thanks anyway for your suggestions.

By The Watcher on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 12:10 am:

I'm envious!!!

By patrick on Monday, June 17, 2002 - 11:49 am:

success!!!!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact