Grandparents

sorabji.com: I need advice: Grandparents
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By moonit on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 05:45 am:

So, I wrote a letter to my grandmother. She's my real dad's mum, and we've never met. I let her know how I was, what I'm doing, and what sort of things I enjoy.

She rang me today, and we had a catchup and I'm going to meet her next week.

I'm terrified. What should I take? Old pictures of me growing up? Flowers? Presents?

She didn't even know when my birthday was, and the last time Martyn spoke to her about me, was when Mum got married and we moved to Aussie. I was seven. He hasn't spoken about me for 20 years to his own mother.

Wanker.

Anyway, what do i take????

By J on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 10:48 am:

Your sweet self,that's enough.

By kazoo on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 10:59 am:

Take a deep breath.

Pictures. Absolutely. And that will give you something to talk about.

Do you think she'd like some pictures of you to keep? Maybe one of you as a little Moonit and another more recent one. We almost had a similar situation in my family, and I think had it gone that way and twenty years past, my nana would have loved something like that.

By moonit on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 08:47 pm:

Yeah I spoke to mum this morning and she's going to put some stuff together for her.

She (the grandma) seems really sweet and I think we have the same sense of humour (she told me she doesn't dress up much, and I said does that mean I don't have to wear my tiara? and she laughed).

It's just weird. I don't know what to call her - do I use her first name? Do I call her Mrs *******, argh...

I've got five aunts and uncles I've never met, and loads of cousins.

My little brother is 12, and my sister is 9. I last saw them when they were tiny tiny people.

I have to stay calm and not blame her for the way Martyn has treated me (like a huge secret).

I wonder if the rest of the family know about me.

By dave. on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 09:32 pm:

i like múm. iceland is the cutest nation in europe. second cutest in the world after japan.

By J on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 01:38 am:

Call her grandmother she will think your a proper little lady wink wink,and Moonit I haven't forgoton the candy just have been kind of discombobulated since my mom took ill. Here is what I'm thinking,I'll send you individual wrap in foil reece cups,stick the bag in the freezer till it's hard again,then try to unwrap them after they are hard.

By moonit on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 01:39 am:

What about New Zealand??

We are damn cute!

By patrick on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:50 am:

im really wanting to move to kiwiland, all the other 'enlightened' places are frozen for half the year.

By dave. on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 01:21 pm:

By moonit on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 04:19 am:

So today was pretty intense. Alyson and I just chatted and ate baking, and looked at photos.

I stayed for about two hours, and I'm going back next weekend to meet my grandfather Jim. Alyson said she's going to slowly introduce me to my family, which is so neat. I've got a heap of cousins, I don't know how I'll keep them all straight.

When I was telling 'drew about it all, I totally lost it. The whole house is full of bookcases and books are everywhere. Just like my house here.

By moonit on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 04:42 am:

I knew it would happen. I knew he would call.

I was semi-prepared for it, but once I heard his voice it all came pouring out:

'Mel, It's Martyn ******* here'
    'Right'
    'I saw the letter your wrote my mother... I was up in Christchurch on the weekend and thought I should call... I know its been a long time since we talked'
    'Uh yeah, since my boyfriend died - guess you wondered if I was still alive right'
    'uh'
    'Yeah real nice of you to stay in touch - I hope nothing horrible ever happens to your kids and you treat them the way you've treated me'
    'uh.... are you okay'
    'no'

I'm bawling at this stage, sobbing actually...

'right, well I thought I should get in touch....'
    'how could you do that to me... not tell them anything... they are such NICE people'
    'uh yeah...'
    'yeah'
    'is now not a good time?'
    'no not really - maybe you should call back tomorrow'
    'okay bye then'
    'bye'

10 bucks says he doesn't call.

By Gee on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 09:12 am:

that's so sad.

we still love you, moonit.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 09:54 am:

I'm sorry you had to go through that, Melly. :(

By patrick on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 11:27 am:

id show you my tits if i thought it would ease the weight on your shoulders.

i have a soft spot for estranged fathers. as ive revealed before mine was estranged at times but mainly because of his insanity.

hang tight moonpooper

By J on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 02:28 pm:

By moontrooper on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 04:05 pm:

moonpooper?

Actually moontrooper sounds better.

Fuck - today I'm just in shock (again). Fucking family woodwork crawling buggers.

Anyway, if he doesn't call I think I'll write him a letter explaining my years of anger and disapointment in him - the times he promised to do stuff with me and I wouldn't hear from him... you know get right into the intensity.

And then never hear from him.

I'm not sure I should of opened this can of worms. I'm not sure I can handle it.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 04:17 pm:

what ever you do, all the choices are yours to have. you hold the cards. he should be lucky and grateful if you decide to talk to him.

By kazoo on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 05:59 pm:

that is really sad...especially since things seemed to be going well with your grandmother.

hang in there...I'm sorry it has to be so hard right now

By J on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 10:26 am:

How did things go with your grandfather?

By moonit on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 01:24 am:

Okay, so bit of an update on this....

Alyson died on Friday at 1pm. She'd been in hospital for about three weeks - and the first week she was in Martyn came up from Timmers to see her. Afterwards he picked me up for lunch.

I hadn't seen him in six years.

It was a surreal experience - sitting across the table eating indian, drinking a beer (well I had a coke, cause after one vodka, lime and lemon I can't stop), trying to make conversation with a stranger. I could of done better sitting across a table from Mark.

Anyway, he came back up the next week, and picked me up and we went to see her together. Her eyes lit up as we entered the room - and she told him he was a clever boy, Jim was there too, so we all sat and chatted for a while, and I found out that one of Martyn's sisters Olwyn, has to have IVF - as she can't produce eggs (important medical history I had no clue about).

I gave her a hug goodbye, and then hugged GrandadJim - joking about how if he didn't get a hug he'd be jealous, I think Martyn was suprised as to how well I got on with them.

He rang me on Friday night to let me know she'd gone.

Today's funeral notice in the paper lists all the grandkids bar me.

This morning I got a phonecall from him apologising, and insisting I come to the funeral as Jim would want me there. I have been added to the list that the minister reads as eldest grandchild (which no doubt will apparently piss my cousin Jonathon off as he's not eldest anymore).

I'm being picked up from work in the morning.

I'm petrified. I'm about to meet my entire family.

By Spider on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 11:56 am:

Moonit, I hope everything goes well at the funeral. It's good that you got to know your grandmother before she passed away. I'm sorry you have to go through such a messy situation. Be strong.

By eri on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 12:59 pm:

Yeah, ditto. Don't let other peoples problems be your problems. This is scary enough for you already. Best wishes and sorry for your loss.

By patrick on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 01:32 pm:

be well moonie.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact