Kahlil Gibran quotation help

sorabji.com: I need advice: Kahlil Gibran quotation help
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 12:00 pm:

Somewhere, Kahlil Gibran wrote an aphorism that ends, "....., and some people can only cleanse themselves with filth." The wording may be a little off (maybe it's "through filth"), but I know "filth" and "cleanse" are in there.

What is the entire line?

Google is no help. Maybe one of you (....Antigone?) is familiar with his books of aphorisms?

By patrick on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 12:35 pm:

nerd.

hey i was wondering on the subway why you arent teaching. Why aren't you putting that big ole head of yours to the greater good.

By Spider on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 01:01 pm:

God, no. Both of my parents are teachers -- my dad is a college professor and my mom taught high school. NO way will I ever be a teacher.

My dad keeps a list of the super-retarded things his students write in their papers. One student wrote a paper on the knights of shivery. It was a big, maybe 10-page, paper, too -- how the hell the kid could have pulled 10 pages out of his ass when he couldn't even spell the freaking word right in order to look it up in the dictionary, let alone do some, like, research (even if he plagiarized!) is beyond me. Complete and utter fuckwits.

Then, all the politics and cattiness and bureaucracy he has to go through is unbearable. My dad absolutely will not play games, and it took him nearly 20 years to be made a full professor. On the other hand, he won the "professor of the year" prize the first year the prize was offered, because his students love him so much. (He would never call them fuckwits, for starters.)

No, sir, you can have it.

By patrick on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 01:10 pm:

"Then, all the politics and cattiness and bureaucracy he has to go through is unbearable"

you deal with this now, no?

pretty soon the fuckwits will be teaching the fuckwits.

help me OB1, your're my only hope

By The Watcher on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 01:10 pm:

At one time I wanted to be a History teacher.

Then I was picked for a pilot program that allowed us to work part time in our chosen fields.

That cured me. After about a month I wanted to kill all the kids in the classes I worked with.

And, talk about dumb. They were given an open book test and some of them couldn't even find the answers when the questions were written with the same wording used in the books right in front of them!

By patrick on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 01:16 pm:

see spider?

By Spider on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 01:44 pm:

I deal with politics a little now, but this isn't my chosen profession, and I'm not interested in climbing this ladder either.

I'd like to study History, too, but I really don't want to teach it. I would love love love to just do research without having to teach. They gave out the MacArthur grants today, I think (I heard it on NPR this morning, anyway) -- $500,00 over four years to 25 people, just so they can continue doing the art/research/projects/humanitarian work/etc without having to worry about money. I want some billionaire to pay me to create a library for him, with the content of the library being left entirely up to me. Collection Development with my own interests in mind.

By Spider on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 01:45 pm:

Oops -- $500,000

By sarah on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 08:07 pm:

By sarah on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 08:12 pm:

By Antigone on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 08:52 pm:

Sorry, Rhiannon, the only book of Gibran's I've read is "The Prophet."

By Spider on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:32 am:

Thanks, Sarah! Though my quotation wasn't on either page, much wisdom was.

"We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting."

I may have copied the quotation in one of my notebooks when I lived at home. When I see my father this weekend, I'll look for it.

By Nate on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 10:23 am:

what a strange thing it must be to have people extract their favorite words from the things you write.

By Spider on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 10:57 am:

Oh, like they're not his favorite words too.

By Nate on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 11:07 am:

you think? all of the time?

i mean, sometimes he might think "man, was i ever drunk when i wrote that. how funny."

By kazoo on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 11:12 am:

My favorite word is crepuscular.

I like finding out which of their own works authors like. Same with musicians. And the ones they really hate. It's quite a feeling when you discover that your favorite song by a particular artist, one that brings you an immense amount of pleasure, is the one they really regret ever putting on an album.

By Spider on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 11:24 am:

Vespertine is a better word, I think. It means crepuscular, but has a more evocative etymology.

By kazoo on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 11:29 am:

Yes, but it doesn't feel as good coming out of my mouth. Crepuscular has an edge to it that vespertine lacks...much to elegant for this rock star.

By Spider on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 11:36 am:

Interesting...I wasn't thinking about the sound.

I like the sound and look of the word severance.

By Dougie on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 11:36 am:

Nah. "Nutsack" blows both of em away, hands down.

"The dewy, crepuscular and vespertine evening was perfect for Johnny Carson to air out his tired, sweaty nutsack. A soft breeze blew over his nutsack, the little hairs on it obeying the direction of the wind."

By The Watcher on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 12:14 pm:

I like both crepuscular and vespertine.

I had to look them both up.

Great words.

By A Really Matronly Cheerleader Supervisor With Depends On on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 12:39 pm:

That word you had yesterday Watcher was pretty groovy too: Higherarhies. But I couldn't find it in the dictionary.

By The Watcher on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 01:02 pm:

A misspelling I assure you.

It should have been Hierarchies.

Phonics was a great way to learn to read. But, it killed my spelling ability.

By Spider on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 01:10 pm:

Llongyfarchiadau!

That means Congratulations! in Welsh. I just went to a Welsh kids' site and sent a friend a postcard. When I was finished, the word Llongyfarchiadau! appeared.

Here

(BTW, "eich enw" means "your name," so you know how to fill out the fields.)

By Spider on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 01:11 pm:

Er...presuming you'd want to fill out the fields...

By kazoo on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 01:12 pm:

Yes, yes I do, but I can't figure out where the e-mails go...

By Spider on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 01:18 pm:

They go in the fields marked "e-bost" -- the fields are in this order (top to bottom) -- friend's name, friend's email, your name, your email.

I think it's cute that they spell hello with one L. Helo! Awwwww.

By Spider on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 01:20 pm:

Also interesting -- the word "ffrind" is a, um, Welshification of the English word "friend." The actual Welsh word is something different (begins with a C, I think).

By kazoo on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 01:22 pm:

thanks so much. helo, yes, that is just is adorable

By J on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 01:26 pm:

I hear you Watcher:)

By semillama on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 05:57 pm:

I think it is spelled like that because the
    double -l in welsh is pronounced somthing
    like if you were trying to say 't" but with your
    mouth in the position to say "L".

By Spider on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 08:45 am:

Found the quote --

Some people seek pleasure in pain, and some cannot cleanse themselves except with filth.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact