looking for a word or phrase....

sorabji.com: I need advice: looking for a word or phrase....
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By kazoo on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 04:22 pm:

in upper-class society, that time after dinner when men went into one room to have brandy and cigars and women went into another to do something else...anyway, what is that time of the evening called?

By Nate on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 04:45 pm:

bitchesbegone.

By Ophelia on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 03:59 pm:

like in gone with the wind, when she sneaks out to see ashley...i dont know what its called...actually i think the gone with the wind example is in the afternoon, cause its after the bbq, but its the same basic idea. its when the suitor asks the girl's father for her hand...oh i wish i could remember the name of it. sorry.

By sarah on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 10:41 pm:

what's the word for a doctor's prescribed treatment or prescibed recovery actions/behaviors?

doctor's give patients a ___________. ? not a "prescription", but something else....

By dave. on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 11:09 pm:

remedy or therapy?

By Harvey Wordman on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 11:14 pm:

panacea?

By dave. on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 11:16 pm:

nostrum?

By Nate on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 12:20 am:

enema.

By Doggie Bowser DVM on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 08:30 am:

care plan? regimen?

By Spider on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 10:55 am:

prognosis?

By Spider on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 12:58 pm:

Gosh darn it, Sarah, when are you going to reply to tell me if I'm right?

By dave. on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 01:08 pm:

i think harvey nailed it.

By sarah on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 01:48 pm:

spider, i'm sorry, i have no idea what you're talking about. right about what?

did you send me email or is this something else?

By Spider on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 01:50 pm:

Whaaaaaa? Your question above! October 1, 2002 10:41 pm. Who was right?

By sarah on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 01:50 pm:

oh, you mean are you right about "prognosis"? no. that's not right. that's like diagnosis, sort of.

there's a very specific word that we used when i was working in cancer research. i need to remember that word, it's driving me crazy.

By Harvery Wordman on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 03:55 pm:

protocol?

as in treatment protocol or therapy protocol?

By Spider on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 04:07 pm:

I think I know what you're talking about, Sarah, but I can't remember it either. It's an odd word that isn't often used in other circumstances.

My uncle is an oncologist -- I can ask my mom to email him and ask him.

By sarah on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 09:46 pm:

thanks spider, i'd appreciate it.

protocol is getting closer to the word, yes.

By kazu on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 12:37 pm:

does anyone know what the phrase "expecation states" means with regard to sociological or psychological or neurological research?

thank you.

By jack on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 03:59 pm:

this is not my field of expertise, but

see here: publication

you can google the author's name and the phrase for more.

By kazu on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 06:17 pm:

thank you.

By kazu on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 11:17 am:

what does atenizein mean?

By Spider on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 03:00 pm:

It means "an intense gaze" in Greek.

"The power which looks from the eyes of an inspired person attracts and compels a corresponding fixed gaze on the part of them that are brought under his influence; and this adds much probability to the Bezan reading in III 3, where the fixed gaze of the lame man on Peter seems to rouse the power that was latent in him. The Greek word is {atenizein} almost peculiar to Luke, and occurs chiefly in Acts . Elsewhere in N.T. it is used only by Paul in II Cor. III 7, 13; and it has often seemed to me as if there were more of Lukan feeling and character in II Cor. than in any other of Paul's letters. A consideration of these passages must convince every one that the action implied by the word {atenizein} is inconsistent with weakness of vision: in fact, Paul says that the Jews could not gaze fixedly on the glory of Moses'face, implying that their eyes were not strong enough."

--http://webminister.com/ramsay/rsp023.shtml

By kazu on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 03:16 pm:

I knew you would know!

thanks

By Spider on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 05:48 pm:

It looks German, doesn't it?

Where did you come across it?

By kazu on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 07:54 pm:

From a citation I found:

Strelan, Rick. "Strange Stares: Atenzein in Acts." Noveum Testamentum. 41:3 (1999): 235-256.

It's an article I found for a professor I am working for. I have since printed it out but not read it though it looks pretty interesting.

By semillama on Monday, March 1, 2004 - 10:36 am:

Is the word "attention" related to it?

By Gmorelli on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 10:46 am:

What is the terminology for a brother and sister born within the same year, but not at the same time?

By jack on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 11:30 am:

siblings?

Irish twins?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact