Ethical dilemma re: voting

sorabji.com: I need advice: Ethical dilemma re: voting
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 08:35 am:

I live in Montgomery Co., Maryland, but I'm still registered to vote in Montgomery Co., Pennsylvania.

I really want to vote in the PA election, because Ed Rendell is running for governor and I want to support him. I requested an absentee ballot and received the sign-up form yesterday.

In order to be able to vote in absence, I would have to lie on the form and say I live at the address I'm registered at, which was my college address. I haven't lived there for two years.

I don't want to vote in Maryland because I don't follow the races here at all. I do follow the PA races. I don't want to not vote.

I'm thinking I should just lie on the form. What do you think? Do you think they could find out, and I'd get in trouble?

By Nate on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 09:34 am:

is fear of punishment your only motivator?

you framed this as an ethical dilemma, but you're not really interested in the ethical dilemma.

you know it would be wrong.

i hope you didn't take part in the hoo-haw about voter fraud after the whole al & george florida field trip fiasco.

By Spider on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 09:43 am:

Cute. What's the grey like in your world?

Anyone else?

By Dougie on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:04 am:

Will you be moving back to PA anytime soon, or are you a full-fledged Marylander now? If the latter, maybe you ought to start thinking about following the races in Maryland?

By patrick on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:50 am:

its totally grey out today. i mean like pea soup gray. moist, clammy, gummy, grey. about 5% gray i'd say.

just vote spider. just dont vote in both places.

By spunky on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:20 pm:

Well, this year will be free of my voting mistakes.

Since my driver's license was stolen I am still waiting for my birth certificate to get here so I can get a Texas DL and register....

By Nate on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:56 pm:

how is it a grey issue, spider? you have no right to vote in that election, yet you want to do so fraudulently. there is no grey.

what is your diluting 'white' ? that you want to do this?

By Spider on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:12 pm:

That it's not a big deal. Or is it?

I could make well-informed votes for PA, though I'm not allowed. Or I could make half-assed, shot-in-the-dark votes for MD, legitimately. Which is worse?

By JusMiceElf on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:22 pm:

Spider, while I understand your intention, Nate
    has a point. Mitt Romney got taken to task for
    paying resident taxes in Utah (being an actual
    Utah resident would have voided his shot at
    the Mass. governor's race), but the court ruled
    that since he intended to return to
    Massachusetts, that was enough to satisfy the
    law.

If you don't intend to return to PA you really
    should consider voting in MD. I'm surprised
    they've kept you on the rolls. Middletown, CT
    regularly purged the voter rolls, as does
    Northampton, MA; if you don't respond to the
    annual census or vote within a year, you're
    placed on inactive status, then dropped.

And think of it this way: what if the election
    were close, and they successfully contested
    your ballot?

By Spider on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:29 pm:

In PA, you have to vote every two years, or you're ineligible. I voted in the 2000 election in person (drove to PA), because I'd only been in MD for 2 or 3 months at that time. Never bothered to re-register in MD, probably because I didn't intend to stay here for so long.

Dammit, though, you're probably right. I was hoping this was an issue involving one of those nonsense laws no one cares about, like speed limits. :)

By Nate on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:40 pm:

spider, i want to vote for the other guy in the PA governer race.

would you care? i'll have to lie about where i live but that's no big deal.

By J on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

I think your too smart not to at least know where to study up on the canidates and issues in Maryland Spider:)

By Spider on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:48 pm:

Maryland can sink in the sea, for all I care. Pennsylvania is my true love!

Hey, fine, Nate, you can vote in the PA election, as long as you don't vote for CA and you are read-up on the issues. That's what I'm saying.

Hmph. Goddamn rules.

By patrick on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:51 pm:

break the law spider. live a little!

By Spider on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:53 pm:

Tell you what, Patrick....when I go across the street to the ATM, I'll jaywalk. Just for you. ;)

By J on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:56 pm:

Just listen to Kazoo and remember J next election,I'll have to have some rules,but they'll be fun rules like share your weed with a friend in need.

By patrick on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 02:07 pm:

Fuck yeah spider.

Actually, here, they'll nail you for jay walking without a second look.

By Pug on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 04:46 pm:

They're all up for sale. Destroying the system is the only logical solution left.
    Yes, I'm drinking.

By semillama on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 05:03 pm:

Spider, why not just write in as many
    sorabjites as possible on the MD Ballot?
    Then tell us which positions you voted for
    sorabjites for.

By Pug on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 05:07 pm:

I'm running for Dog Catcher.

By Gee on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 12:01 am:

jaywalking is legal here.

most people are unaware.

I miss people!!

By J on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 02:09 am:

It isn't legal here,don't dogs run free?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact