Protest slogans

sorabji.com: I need advice: Protest slogans
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 09:03 am:

My mom, brother, and I are going to the big anti-war protest in DC this weekend, and I need help coming up with ideas for signs and/or slogans.

I like "War IS terrorism" for its simplicity, but it's not very creative.

Any other suggestions?

By dave. on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 09:46 am:

"kill the president!"

By Spider on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 09:53 am:

Errr...

By patrick on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:31 am:

i really really like the overtly mundane to the point of hilarious.

i mentioned on of my favorites "im sad"

"war is sad"

another one i like
    "saddam didnt steal my 401k"

otherwise "war IS terrorism" is straight to the point.
    im glad you are going spider. i was going to encourage you to go , but i thought it would be futile.

there was one cat at the LA march that had "kill bush first" i thought to myself, that dumbass now has a permanent file with big brother.

By Nate on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 12:13 pm:

"ignorance is bliss"
    "i protest what i don't understand"
    "tough decisions aren't in MY strategery"
    "short sighted and proud of it"

By The Watcher on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 12:51 pm:

How about

"Peace in our time"

Nevill Chamberlin (I know, I don't know how to spell his name. So look it up.)

By Spider on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 04:13 pm:

Is this not the funniest thing you've ever seen? I want a sign with this picture on it.

By patrick on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 05:04 pm:

pfffft nate.

as if any of those cheeky slogans are justification for bombing thousands of Iraqis to smithereens.

Let us know what you do spider

By Nate on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 05:18 pm:

did you catch joe lieberman on fresh air today?

By wisper on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 06:13 pm:

man, do i hate monkeys.
    they're too much like dumb little kids.
    but they're so fun to draw and make cute toys. It's not fair.

i also vote for "I'm sad". You can't beat that. And i've somehow forgotten any creative signs i saw.

By Dougie on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 06:59 pm:

War -- What's Up With That?

By patrick on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 07:00 pm:

no, i didnt hear him. his dribbly, creaky door of a voice would assure instant channel change.

the democrats have completely lost their mind if they think that asshole is an ideal canidate.

what did he say?

By Nate on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 07:55 pm:

he just talked about how he drafted the first iraq resolution for bush the first and how he drafted a regime change resolution in '98 for clinton to sign.

democrats tend to have their heads so far up their asses nothing would suprise me. the lieb is probably the best candidate so far, though.

By The Watcher on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 11:47 am:

Junior!!!!

By patrick on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

best canidate?

have you lost your mind or are you just pretending to be a swing-voting democratic soccer mom when you say that?

By Nate on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 12:57 pm:

maybe you know of someone better who has announced? i don't.

i wouldn't vote for him. talk about a warmonger.

By patrick on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 01:08 pm:

no. most likely i'll be symbolically voting Green again. The Dem's lost my vote for good short of a serious party revolution.

Edwards is interesting, as the young buck, but I know little about him.

By agatha on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 05:07 pm:

lieberman is my dad's pal, but i still don't think he'd make a good president.

how about "war makes me cry"?
    or
    "war- hunh! what is it good for?"
    or
    "war is for suckahs"?

or dougie's.

By agatha on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 05:08 pm:

nate- what's a strategery?

By semillama on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 05:37 pm:

How about: There are chemical weapons in my ass?

By Nate on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 07:11 pm:

uh, either bush said strategery when trying to say strategy, or i saw it on SNL.

well, i definitely saw it on SNL. i don't know if he actually said it or not.

By agatha on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:42 am:

heh. no, he couldn't have. did you look at that video, nate?

By J on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:54 am:

How about War...it fucks up everything.

By Nate on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 12:41 pm:

yeah. that video is good. the only complaint i have is the chump coming on and reading the words at the end. it was all college art fag peacenik crap.

the rest of it was great.

By agatha on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 12:54 pm:

yeah, i felt that way a little bit about the end, too, even though the words themselves had their moments.

i love the deliverance part. it's too perfect.

By patrick on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 02:32 pm:

my god son M is having a bday party tom. their septic tank blew last night. im now having a birthday parrtay for M on his 2nd BD at our house.

OH
    SHIT

what could i do. his moms had no other options.

i took my feeling 80% better yesterday as 100% and played some serious ping pong, drank some beer, took a puff and got my ass kicked all day long by frenchie, angry sam and my neighbor. i didn't know drinking + antibiotics was such a big deal.

price.

pay up.

15+ kids tomorrow in my backyard.

k i l l

m e

n o w

By semillama on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 03:32 pm:

i just woke up. the last thing i remember was talking to some Irishman in the other hotel lobby, and that i was in the process of coming back here. freakin' archaeologists-nothing but trouble.

By J on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 02:36 am:

I can't wait to hear how the party went,15 kids for a 2 year old,it sounds like hell,espeacially if most are two,make sure that you have alot of help,you are liable if anything happens at your house.Orion will be 2 next month,took him to the park yesterday,had a nice time till he started trying to run out in the street,then when I tried to get him to hold my hand,he started throwing himself on the ground snot crying,he kicked the shit out of me when I tried to get him in the stroller and carseat,then we got home and he's all dancing and cuddly.This morning he dumped coffee grinds on the kitchen floor,put a towel in my toilet,and I'm still picking raisens and cheese off the floor.There's a reason they call it the terrible two's,still can't find what he did with the remote to the t.v.

By Spider on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 08:28 am:

I went with the simple, "I'm SCARED." I thought it was lame but true, so I went with it. At least 15 people complimented me and/or took a picture of the sign. It was weird. I had wanted to make a sign with, "War makes the Baby Jesus cry!" but I was afraid that might be misconstrued as mocking the protest.

It was an interesting event. I heard Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson speak. I read an interview with Scott Ritter, one of the UN's weapons inspectors active around 1998, which was very interesting and should be online somewhere...I'll post a link if I can find it.

And I saw a lot of great signs. My favorite was, "WHY YOU GOTTA BE ALL VIOLENT?"

By Meili on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 10:41 am:

Hey Spider,

I think it's really great that you participated in the protest. I feel that you did your country a great service by speaking out against war. I hope that doesn't sound too corny.

I'm sure you know that Scott Ritter changed his view from when he first resigned. He has a film out you may have heard of called "Shifting Sands"?

The New York Times Magazine did a full article on him not too long ago.
    http://www.greatertalent.com/ritternyt.shtml

By Spider on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:15 am:

Thanks very much for the information, Meili!

I'm not sure when the Ritter interview I read was conducted. It was in a book that (I believe) was just published a few months ago. The back of the book had a URL that was something like www.war.on.iraq.org, but I can't seem to find the site. I'll bring the book with me to work tomorrow and post the correct link.

By J on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 01:21 pm:

How was the party Patrick?

By The Watcher on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 01:33 pm:

Just wait till the little ones turn three. My wife taught kids from six weeks to ten years old. She said the threes were worse.

By patrick on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 01:47 pm:

it went well j. there were only about 6-7 kids total and the respective parents and some of our friends who stopped by. completely manageable and they were all fairly mellow kids. except for the one fucko, who kept wanting to go exploring in my darkroom.

the cool part was shooting the shit with my friends step-dad, who is a very well-known NPR radio host. that and ping pong. and beer. the ping pong table is a hit beyond belief, and the Brady Bunch-esq backyard of mine makes it even better.

it was a beautiful day and the b-day boy was gung-ho and sweet as pie right up to the minute they strapped him into the car to go home, in which he konked out like a trooper.

By agatha on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:43 pm:

i hope it wasn't tom leykis.

i loved 3. now, 2, and so far, 8, are another story altogether for me.

By patrick on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:54 pm:

when was the last time Leykis was on NPR sweets?

By agatha on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:03 pm:

oh, npr. i must have been having a brain fart.

disregard.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact