Firewall

sorabji.com: I need advice: Firewall
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By trace on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 06:34 pm:

Here is a tech question....

I have tried black ice, norton personal firewall, and zone alerts...

but they all keep me from posting here.
    For some reason this board asks for username and password when the firewall is activated...

By jack on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 06:41 pm:

those are statements. what's the question?

By semillama on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 06:43 pm:

Probably it's either a. Is there a firewall that will let him post w/o the username/password, or b. is there a way to get around that username/password thing with the mentioned firewalls?

I suggest going straight to the source and drop Mark an email - he would know.

By jack on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 06:45 pm:

probably. although it could have been c. will anyone miss me if i can't post here anymore?

By dave. on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 06:49 pm:

why not ease up on the security level for this site's ip address? trusted sites . . . something like that?

fuck security, man -- open her up! sharing is caring.

By Antigone on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 06:57 pm:

Use linux.

Mandrake 9.1 just came out. Install with "paranoid" security settings. Case closed.

By trace on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 07:24 pm:

I am working on the linux thing.
    I need another box for that.
    I know I can duel boot, but I would prefer not too.
    The problem with Linux is the drivers for it are released "just in time" and not very widely at that.

By Nate on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 08:18 pm:

dude, if you duel boot your microsoft OS is going to KICK THE SHIT out of the fucking pansy ass hippie developed LIBERAL COCKSLIME LINUX.

did you know that linux originated in EUROPE?

duel boot. man, what a concept. i like to picture bill gates with the fucking borg gear like in the slashdot icon. except its a fucking laser beam eye. or should i say LAZOR? can you tell i've been watching strong bad answer his email all day long?

By Nate on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 08:20 pm:

you should get firewalled routers, trace. two of 'em, stack them back to back. that way, if someone breaks through one of your firewalls, he'll think he's sitting on a real system... but he'll be sitting on another router! hot damn!

By trace on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 08:46 pm:

nate, you been smokin the cheap shit again?

By dave. on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:08 pm:

linux kicks ass. it definitely kicks my ass. i finally got yellow dog all the way off the cd and on to one of my old macs. slow as fuckall. anything beats macos. anyone want to donate a g3 daughtercard?

By agatha on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:10 pm:

You will always be here in spirit, Jack, even if you stop posting.

Now, go root for some truffles.

By dave. on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:23 pm:

agatha, did you duck or did that go right over your head?

By sarah on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 10:04 am:

i duel boot at work all the time. so i can run remote administrator. fun!

i hacked our firewall. i entered username "test" and password "test".

bingo!

suckas

By Bk on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 05:18 pm:

test, test works on an amazing amount of applications and systems, its like people think that only friendly users (or authorized users) will use that combo.....

holy shit, i mean you could probably crack an FBI backdoor with that one..

By Bk on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 05:20 pm:

I use mcafee personal firewall on my PC at home. it does a fairly good job. but if your paranoid deffinitly double stack your Fwall(s), plus run something in the back ground of your PC/network just for the hell of it..

By spunky on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 07:00 pm:

I refuse to put Mcafee on any of my machines.
    It has caused more problems then it has caused.
    But I do appreciate the suggestion.

By agatha on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 07:15 pm:

feh.

By Nate on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 07:51 pm:

"It has caused more problems then it has caused."

and that's liable to open up some sort of multi-dimensional einstienian nucuelur space-time doohicky.

By Chez nate on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 07:52 pm:

KIND OF LIKE ME BASTING MY BALLS IN A LIGHT BECHEMEL.

By Markus on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 08:18 pm:

That's DUAL boot, folks, DUAL. Unless the two OSes are fighting it out for supremecy of the drive. Carry on.

By dave. on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 09:27 pm:

omigod. he's right. it is DUAL.

du·el ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dl, dy-)
    n.
    A prearranged, formal combat between two persons, usually fought to settle a point of honor.
    A struggle for domination between two contending persons, groups, or ideas.

du·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dl, dy-)
    adj.
    Composed of two usually like or complementary parts; double: dual controls for pilot and copilot; a car with dual exhaust pipes.
    Having a double character or purpose: a belief in the dual nature of reality.
    Grammar. Of, relating to, or being a number category that indicates two persons or things, as in Greek, Sanskrit, and Old English.

how funny.

By trace on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 09:52 pm:

hey, i dont have spell checker on this thing.
    or grammar checker
    or a dictionary apparently

By Nate on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 10:00 pm:

i was talking about duel boot. hense the reference to bill gates with combat gear.

By Da Borg on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 10:02 pm:

you shall be assimilated into the collective.

By Testor on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 10:35 pm:

test

By Crumpled50 on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 04:37 am:

how did that happen?

By dvv on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 00:19 pm:

Linus Torvalds developed Linux

By Place for downloading firewall on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 00:20 pm:

symc.com

symantec

By Symantec on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 00:27 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact