Rosebushes?

sorabji.com: I need advice: Rosebushes?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By eri on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 02:51 pm:

OK, I have this potted mini rosebush on my patio wall. It has done a wonderful job of growing over the past month and has started blooming again.

Everyone I have seen tells me that I am supposed to trim it back. Like pruning it I guess.

I don't know anything about pruning or trimming rosebushes and wouldn't know what to cut back and what not to or if I even should.

Any advise is more than welcome. PLEASE.

By Nate on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 03:00 pm:

prune roses beginning of january.

you want to cut stems above the little nubby buds, and you want to choose nubby buds to cut above such that the nubs point outwards. so that new stems will grow to make the plant more bushy, rather than growing towards the middle of the bush.

roses are really sturdy and hard to fuck up. at worst you'll get the 'bad haircut' effect.

but i wouldn't prune it now.

By eri on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 04:14 pm:

Thanks Nate. I will wait until January to prune the bush. Though I do notice a dead limb on it that I might cut back and let grow outward.

By Nate on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 04:20 pm:

i should footnote that with: you won't do any harm pruning it now. if it looks odd, has some extra long branches or whatever, cut them back. reshape the bush.

in jan you should do a major prune. the end result will make you think that you've totally butchered the poor thing and surely have killed it, but roses love that shit for some reason.

By Rosalene on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:03 pm:

Hello I live in Kansas and we still may have a freeze can I prune my rose bushes in January too Of course its the end of Feb. now rose

By jack on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:36 pm:

don't forget to understand exactly what you put on the tree

By J on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 12:04 am:

Don't prune anything till spring,when it warms up.

By Kay on Sunday, October 3, 2004 - 02:42 pm:

I need to prune my roses now before winter hits. Is that okay, and what is the right way to do that?

By Beth on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 02:32 pm:

It is Oct. 16th and my rose bush still has buds on it. I live in Northeast Ohio and it is getting pretty cold. What should I do? Do I prune my bush now or wait till the spring? Do I cut the buds off now before the first frost? This is my first rose bush.
    Thanks Beth

By Kathy on Saturday, December 4, 2004 - 05:10 pm:

It is December 4th and my mom is wanting me to prune her rose bushes. All of the bushes have a couple of very long "runners" on them. All of the bushes have new growth and two have rose buds on them. We live in north Louisiana so as everyone knows, the weather changes very quickly here. Today it is in the mid 50's. Please advise!!

Thanks,
    Kathy

By Midge on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 12:04 pm:

I just planted 10 rose bushes and I live in Ellijay Ga. The rose bushes were full of buds, my problem is my DEER ate the buds. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By V on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 02:32 pm:

My dear,deer happen to know JUST WHEN to prune roses,count yourself lucky,this is a gift from God.

By V on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 05:11 pm:

...you got my e-mail?

By V on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 05:29 pm:

...this situation reminds me of my plums...last year my victoria plum tree had just two plums on it,one day before picking,starlings ate them,what was left was eaten by worms,wasps,woodlice and other small and furry creatures....this year I will use scuds,i.c.b.m.s,napalm and morters plus ,as a last resort,Agent D.

By V on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 05:53 pm:

...also,I get big,fat cats in my garden,at night they play football with my onions,the next day I replant the onions,at night the "felix football team"go to work on the onions,my task is endless.

By J on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 01:13 am:

V you are Agent D,shit I really am senile,did I mention I'm a half a century old? Make new friends but keep the old,one is silver and the others gold.I'm gold.I'm old,but like I said a day above ground is a good day,and J's still standing(wobbly maybe)but standing.I've been trying to quit smoking,I've gone from 3 packs to half a pack a day ,I put one of those patches of Nicoderm on my fat ass every day,sometimes in the night it burns and gives me nightmares and I pull it off.I made some scrumtious hot German potato salad for Easter.Watcher,if you see this,hang in there,

By V on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 02:21 pm:

J,...v is Not Agent D......Did you read my posting that I happen to regard you as one of the best Sorabjis of ALL TIME?...if you look at my phonetics,the way I post,then you see v is v,also,how come you post such amazing sites?...also v did not understand you were so so young,if you want a boy friend that is 5 years older than you,v is online.... if you dont mind a "Vladimir Putin" look-a-.like,"spaceba balshoy tvarich."(thank you very much comrade)...DA!!!

By V on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 02:42 pm:

J,for you,v would even e-mail,like me,you also "been around a long long time"....but v thinks Mick Jagger said it first....but v still plays it lots in the Lex,,,,xxxxxxxx

By spunky on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 05:02 pm:

J is the best. I must be sick, agreeing with V

By V on Sunday, April 3, 2005 - 01:54 pm:

spunky,I just dont know how J finds so many good web sites,its amazing,must be on line 23 hours a day....must break off,I smell smoke,and my "T.Bones" on fire.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact