All things green

sorabji.com: I need advice: All things green
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 06:05 pm:

Let this thread exist to discuss and advise on all things green. Be it your yard, your neighbors, or the one you turked after you and your bloke pounded a case of Bud.

I need advice on how to deal with weeds.

I want an organic plan if possible. I dont want to apply anything that is chemically derived, or at the very least, unnatural. I have enough working against my lawn at that.

I just need to deal with weeds in and around the bushes that hangout along the front of my house. I tried pulling them, but naturally that didn't work and if they get too big, the gardener just goes through with his weeder and mows everything down, even those plants which i have planted.

Ok.

And i'd also like to say how proud i am of my rosemary bush. Its grown about 9" in height and at least 3-5" width and is some of the most sticky and efforvescent rosemary ive ever encountered.

By heather on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 06:13 pm:

you pull them out

that's what you do.

maybe you can soak the ground to make it
    easier- you have to pull the whole thing down
    to the roots.

or you can try to kill them by blocking out the
    sun. layer newspaper or plastic down and
    leave it a few weeks until everything is dead.
    this obviously doesn't work if the weeds live
    among things you want to keep.

By heather on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 06:15 pm:

i have a window garden

tiny bits of rosemary, 2 basil, thyme, oregano,
    lavender. a flowery thing and a sweet potato
    vine. they are super happy and they smell
    really good when it's warm in the kitchen.

By patrick on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 06:36 pm:

yeah..ok.

there's some nasty mugs that grow all deep & shit.

naturally i was looking for an easier way.

By dave. on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 08:58 pm:

get one of those dandelion popper things. i'd get one for myself but then i'd be left with bare dirt.

By J on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 11:11 am:

Salt kills weeds.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 12:47 pm:

dandelion whut?

but this is in close quarters to plants i dont want to kill j.

By J on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 01:09 pm:

Just put the salt directly on the weed.

By Stavros on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 09:07 pm:

how the hell do you grow chilli peppers.i take them out the kebab,put them on the earth and then nothing happens.[i like kebabs ,coz im a bit greek.]

By patrick on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 12:23 pm:

thats something i need to get into.....peppers.

does anyone have any good experience with peppers. tips?

By heather on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 02:02 pm:

buy starts

plant em in the sun

water em

By patrick on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 02:07 pm:

'starts'?

is this a synonym for a specific seed?

By heather on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 02:28 pm:

starts are little plants that a nursery already
    grew from seed

you can get them at a nursery or even home
    depot

it's the best way to grow your own things like
    tomatoes and plants that have a long
    germination time like impatiens

By patrick on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 02:33 pm:

eeeehhh slowdown there green thumb sally with your greenhouse lingo.

got it though.

By sarah on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 02:59 pm:

starts are also referred to as seedlings. just fyi.

By sarah on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 02:59 pm:

heather, did you get my email?

By patrick on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 05:10 pm:

do they take lots of water? peppers?

i made the mistake recently, of assuming, like all my other succulents, that an aloe plant doesnt need a lot of water. wrong.

I would think peppers take good amounts of water.

By sarah on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 05:49 pm:

peppers actually love very hot weather. everything likes lots of water in very hot weather, but peppers do best when you let the soil get really dry and then give it a good soak. and peppers tolerate drought very well.

there are some plants, like mint, which actually thrive the more you abuse or neglect them.

By Stavros on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 08:48 pm:

you dont need starts for tomatoes,you just eat them,use the john,and two months later,they grow on the banks of rivers.

By c on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 03:17 am:

patrick. I never e-mailed you back. things have happened. I'll still be in l.a. monday, but I may leave that night for long beach or san diego or god knows where.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact