life after splitting up

sorabji.com: I need advice: life after splitting up
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Cyclobird on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 02:54 pm:

So, this is it. After three years together, I am considering splitting up with my girlfriend. I feel that she doesn't have the level of commitment I have in our relationship. And that's very unsatisfying and frustrating to me.
    For work reasons, we're living now in different cities and it's always me who flies to see her. I've been flying to see her in a monthly basis for several months. She's never flown to see me: didn't have the money, didn't have the time, did have to go home to see her parents...
    I'm really pissed off. I see myself making big efforts to keep our relationship alive and I find little reward. When we're together it's great, we have a fantastic time. But when it comes to making decisions, to sacrifice, it's 90% sure I'll be the one to sacrifice. It's been like that for the whole three years, they've all been filled with bigger or smaller sacrifices, always my sacrifices.
    There've been a lot of good moments, I cannot deny that, but always overshadowed by that feeling that I was somehow losing my dignity little by little, that I was allowing her to treat me unfairly, that I had the right to ask her for a little bit more of commitment in our relationship. But I never did, I've never asked that to her, you know why? Because I am afraid to lose her. I am afraid to lose her much more than she's afraid of losing me. I am pissed off, I find the current situation unbearable, but after three years the idea of being alone scares me. What will I do then? I'm no ladies' man, I've always been quite unconfident when it comes to meeting women. My common sense tells me to split up in friendly terms and start looking for a more rewarding relationship. But then an automatic alarm inside my head starts ringing telling me that probably that'll mean being single and alone for a long time... and that scares me, ladies and gentlemen. What can I do? What can I do?

By TBone on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 03:01 pm:

You've never told her this? And you're thinking of breaking up with her instead?
    What's wrong with you?
    But really, where do you see this going? Are there plans to move to the same city in the future?
    If not, make them or move on. You only see her once a month. You're alrady alone.

By Antigone on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 03:36 pm:

Don't lose your dignity.

Ditch her and move on.

By patrick on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 03:56 pm:

"But then an automatic alarm inside my head starts ringing telling me that probably that'll mean being single and alone for a long time"

a relationship built on settling for less can't be a very good one in the long term.

By eri on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 04:09 pm:

I agree with Patrick. You will never be happy in the long run if you are settling for something. It's better to be alone and be yourself, then to give yourself up to someone and be unhappy.

By Spider on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 04:49 pm:

"There've been a lot of good moments, I cannot deny that, but always overshadowed by that feeling that I was somehow losing my dignity little by little, that I was allowing her to treat me unfairly"

This is no good.

Don't confuse security for happiness.

You need to tell your girlfriend what you've told us, and if she doesn't agree that there is a problem and you both need to work on the relationship, leave. Leaving may be scary at first, but the security you gain by remaining with someone who hurts you isn't worth the shame it costs.

By Cyclobird on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 08:37 am:

Thanks, mates.
    I'm seeing my girlfriend soon and I'm telling myself that this will be the time we'll sit down for a talk about our relationship. But this is not the first time I make up my mind and then... when I get there she is so charming, so lovable that I can't tell her. Or perhaps this is the excuse I use not to tell her. Later I regret that, of course, and everything begins again.
    We'll see what happens this time. However, I'm 99% sure that she'll not change her attitude after I tell her what I told you. That's her personality, she's the kind of person who never commits in anything, and she'll be always like that I guess. She'll not change for neither me nor for anyone else. Telling her will surely lead to a break-up. Or perhaps the fact that she'll not change her attitude means that she doesn't really love me enough.

By Spider on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 10:53 am:

Lovable? Really?

Don't settle. Be good for yourself.

By eri on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:06 am:

You need to have enough pride in yourself that you realize YOU DON'T WANT someone who doesn't love you enough. You don't settle for second best.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact