TECHNICAL RETARD REQUESTS ASSISTANCE

sorabji.com: I need advice: TECHNICAL RETARD REQUESTS ASSISTANCE
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
agatha on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 05:58 pm:

I'm trying to test out of this one tech class in school, so I don't have to pay $500 to learn mostly stuff I already know. I have completed all of the assignments except for one...

THE ACCESS DATABASE.

This program is not intuitive. I have tried, and failed, to understand it via help files.

Any Access geeks want to get on aim and walk me through the process? It's an easy database to create if you know what you're doing.

aim name hortensejones, or email me. I'll be around tonight.

mwah- agatha

By agatha on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:57 am:

Come ON, PEOPLE! I'M DESPERATE HERE!

By Nate on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 02:40 am:

i don't see you online hortense.

not that i know access. but if is life or death i'm willing to install the puppy and figure it out.

aim: b00gnsh

(those are zeros)

By agatha on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 03:02 am:

Monday night? I was there for a while, but then I gave up.

By Nate on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 03:48 am:

sure. i should be around.

By semillama on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:34 am:

All I know is that Access is a horrifying program that when done right, is awesome, but more commonly is done wrong and is a freak show.

By agatha on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:43 am:

YES. I have found that, as well, in my brief but frustrating journey. Now I'm just being stubborn because I finished all of the other sections of the waiver.

Fuckin databases.

By spunky on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:11 pm:

I LOVE access.
    I have created tables, Queries, reports, macros, etc etc etc.
    Hit me

By The Watcher on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:42 pm:

Don't tease her. Help her.

Sorry agatha. I can't assist you here. I haven't done anything with any data base system since Data Star.

I just haven't had the time.

By TBone on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 02:29 pm:

I hate access, but I have to know it because of work.
    Squeeze spunk, or AIM ttb0ne

By agatha on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:25 pm:

Okay, guys, tonight I'm going to try to log on at about 8. Come visit me when you can. Maybe we can get one of those wacky group things going.

hortensejones -aim name

I knew y'all would come through for me.

By agatha on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 11:49 am:

I LOVE TBONE.

Just thought you all might want to know that.

(ps- I got a perfect score on the database!)

By kazu on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 12:18 pm:

congrats!

By patrick on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 12:26 pm:

i love t bone too.

By sarah on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 01:28 pm:

i {heart} tbone
    props to da man

By sarah on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 01:29 pm:

agatha, did you actually learn how to use access?

By Nate on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 01:35 pm:

access isn't a database, btw.

now that i can confuse things.

By Spider on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 03:25 pm:

Ah, I remember having this conversation with you a few years ago. Or was it with Antigone?

Access is a monster.

By Lapis on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 03:52 pm:

Props to the TBone!

By agatha on Friday, October 3, 2003 - 08:38 pm:

I think I could probably put together a VERY basic database at this point in time. Tbone is a very good teacher, especially noting the fact that he taught me all over AIM with no pointing, hand signals, or facial gesturing to help him out.

By TBone on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 11:06 am:

Agatha's the Access Mastah how!
    That was getting out of hand. Gonna give me a big head.
    er, I mean... Gonna make my head big.
    Ah... You know what I mean.
    Hoy. I'm got me some virus today.
    It's gonna turn into the Green Plague. Always does.
    My teeth are on the march.

By agatha on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 11:03 pm:

Did you drink a lot of coffee today?

By Lapis on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 11:56 pm:

TBone went home sick from work. I convinced him.

By TBone on Thursday, October 9, 2003 - 01:05 pm:

Fuckin' Bronchitis, Sinusitis, and Conjunctivitis.
    My own personal apocalypse.

By wisper on Thursday, October 9, 2003 - 06:32 pm:

yowza!

By TBone on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:56 pm:

Agatha! Thanks!
    This looks really interesting. Have you read it?
    And it turns out I didn't have conjunctivitis. Stupid doctors.
    I woke up at 3:00am because my eye hurt. Felt like I had something stuck to my eyelid that was scraping across my eye. I spent an hour trying to get it out, but couldn't do it.
    This has happened before. Had to go into a clinic long enough for a nurse to yank my eyelid back and poke it with a q-tip.
    I figure this is the same deal, so I go in to the nearest walk-in later that morning and say, "I've got something in my eye and I can't get it out."
    By this time, I'm getting cranky because my eye has been hurting badly for around 5 hours.
    "Ooooh," the front desk lady said knowingly. "Been hanging around kids with pink-eye?"
    "No, I have something in my eye."
    Skip to me sitting in the room with the bed-chair thing.
    A nurse enters to ask about my symptoms.
    "I have something in my eye and I can't get it out."
    "Any itching or discharge?" the nurse asks.
    "No."
    "Any exposure to pink-eye?"
    "No."
    The nurse asks several more pink-eye related questions and leaves.
    The doctor enters, and proceeds to ask me all the same questions in the same order.
    I say, "No" several more times.
    During this time, she noticed the obvious fact that I was producing masses of thick goo from my lungs and nose every few minutes.
    She tells me about how pink-eye commonly comes along with bad colds and stuff, that's what it sounds like, yadda yadda.
    She looks very briefly at my eye, sees that it's red, and writes me up prescription for antibiotic eyedrops to use when the classic bacterial eye infection follows the viral one.
    She convinced me. She's supposed to know her stuff, so hey. Pink eye.
    Eye continues to hurt whenever I blink for the rest of the day.
    The next morning, my eye doesn't hurt anymore. The damn particle must have finally come loose.

By agatha on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 03:05 pm:

Did you only just get the book? Dang, I ordered it forever ago! Yes, I read it and enjoyed it heartily.

I'm sorry about the horrid pinkeye. Nothing sucks more than having your eyes fucked with. Except for maybe stomach issues. I would rate them on the same level of misery.

By Spider on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 03:09 pm:

A doctor at my college misdiagnosed a corneal tear as pink eye. The girl went blind in that eye.

By kazu on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:00 am:

I used to get conjunctivitis once a year. Also back spasms. Once I got them in the same week. That was fun.

Agatha, I have a question for you. Is there any work, compilation, research that you know about that has extensive information about the history of library science that would discuss specific librarians?

By agatha on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:45 am:

I guess it depends on the librarian. Are you looking for anyone in particular? Look up some history on Melville Dewey,the sexist pig. He was an interesting character.

By kazu on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:50 am:

Daniel Alexander Payne Murray

I've got some stuff. I was just wondering if (being on the inside and all) if you knew of any interesting and recent historical studies.

By heather on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 01:29 pm:

mmm

specific librarian

the name of my band

By agatha on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:33 pm:

Nope, sorry. Not quite there yet...

that would be a good band name.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 09:56 am:

How about Balsamic Jihad? That would be a good band name I think...or slubberdegullion. That's a good one too

By spunky on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 10:14 am:

I have been waiting for Jihad the video game

By semillama on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:21 pm:

well, they already have a video game out set in Gulf II. It's called Desert Storm II: Back to Baghdad" or something like that.

Which considering that US soldiers are dying every day over there, is pretty fucking tasteless, if you ask me.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

Sony was looking to name a game "Shock And Awe" back in April, but I have heard they ahve since changed their minds

By Banshee on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 12:19 am:

Is there any BBS or POST IT message similar like Sorabji?

By Nate on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 12:35 am:

just my dick.

do rectums have lips?

i would do it.

By Bongshee on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:28 am:

By Bongshee on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:28 am:

By spunky on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:39 am:

God I miss you Nate.

And No, there are NO other Blogs or BBS like Sorabji!

BTW, congrats to Mark on his recent celeb status!
    The rest of the world is finally catching on to your genius.

By Antigone on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 03:09 pm:

Hey spunk, guess what? A friend of mine is doing AI programming for the department of homeland security. There's a small chance I might get a job there myself. Wouldn't that be a hoot? :)

By J on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 03:12 pm:

Hey Spunky I missed you and Eri.Where is everyone?

By wisper on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 04:09 pm:

Hi spunky! hope you're doing okay :)

By spunky on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 06:31 pm:

Slippery slope, eh tiggy????

J, we have been around. I just have been WAY burnt out on the poli stuff, and we both have been so worn out between work and the kids and looking for a new house.

We all love and miss you all

By Linus Wright on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 02:08 am:

Nate, if the Asshole has a lip? Here's the test.can your mouth shut the lip so hard as if you can squeege your lip so hard?if yes, then your Asshole can do the same as your mouth, no question about it!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact