execution hoods

sorabji.com: I need advice: execution hoods
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By kazu on Sunday, October 5, 2003 - 03:03 pm:

Does anyone know where I can get information on why people being executed wear hoods or have their eyes blindfolded?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated. I've got some lines for a few book about preventing an eyeball from popping out at public hangings, but not much more.

By V.v. on Sunday, October 5, 2003 - 08:01 pm:

My mother died by choking to death on a sandwich.Her face was blue and her tongue was hanging out,death is not attractive,hence the use of hoods perhaps.If a hangman gets the weight of the body wrong,the head tends to come right off,also the use of a hood turns a person into an object.If the last thing a person looked at was you,i think a fragment of that personality would latch on to you.When my Father died,he still did the same things as when he was alive,i heard footsteps in the hall,doors would open by themselves,objects would go from one room to another when i was not looking,i got Exorcists from the church,and they were useless,i got witnesses to the happenings,nothing worked so i got out of the house after a year of hell.Eri may be of some help to you,we both have the same religion.

By V.v. on Sunday, October 5, 2003 - 08:28 pm:

Footnote,as a result of that horrific experience i had to learn everything i could about the Occult,i dont know what got Eri into Wicca,i just hope she did not have to go through what i did If there are no experts on a subject,we have to become experts ourselves.As Eri and i say,Lady Bless.

By Platypus on Sunday, October 5, 2003 - 11:38 pm:

Perhaps so that they couldn't see the executioner? Or vice versa? That's an interesting question. Modern execution victims wear them as well, so it makes me think it is tradition rather than practicality.

By V.v. on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 12:09 am:

I think if a person is dieing,a fragment of them will try to attach it self to you,if they are looking at you at the moment of death.

By V.v. on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 12:26 am:

I would love to put that idea to modern exicutioners.Somthing comes out of the mind of a dead person,and it wants revenge.

By semillama on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 10:58 am:

Nice idea, but I don't think you need to resort to a supernatural explanation. It may be enough to just say that people don't want to look a person in the eye when they are killing them. I think maybe it would be interesting to contrast offical executions by a state authority to that by lynch mobs and see if with the "unoffical executions" there is a different rate of head covering. Also if there is a difference according to race or sex of the executed.

By kazu on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 11:33 am:

From those photos we saw, I don't think lynch mobs took any care to cover faces and heads, at least at the point of murder.

I think my professor is looking at official execution as a kind of ritual and at the meanings (official, practical, symbolic, etc.) attached to blindfolds and hoods. According to one book there were superstitious meanings attached to every element of state executions, in particular public hangings, but I can't find anything on the specifics of the hood/blindfold. The "supernatural" explanations are very important, but I need to find the contexts in which they emerged, what other traditions they were grounded it, how pervasive they were and so forth.

For example, mothers were supposed to spank their children after witnessing a public hanging so that the "lesson" learned would stick. Another thing that is interesting is that at one point the hangmen masked their faces in order ro remain anonymous. Again, I need to find both the practical and symbolic explanations for things like this.

There are times when broad generalizations and speculation is unavoidable, but I think the meaning/effect of "looking someone in the eye" is also something that is shaped by its historical context. And that's what I need to find, if there was something wrong with looking someone in the eye, what traditions informed either personal discomfort or/and cultural norms.

I found an interesting Website on the topic. Luckily, the guy included a bibliography.

By kazu on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 11:45 am:

By wisper on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 12:07 pm:

Witkin!

By semillama on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 12:19 pm:

Hey, the Mutter Museum! Spider and I went there!

By Dougie on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 12:41 pm:

Hmm, never thought about it. I always figured it was more of a courtesy to the executee, so they wouldn't have to watch what was happening to them.

By patrick on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 01:09 pm:

this may or may not be relevent to your study but there was interesting essay and photo essay in my recent issue of Aperture about inmates' last meals. The essay focused on the need for the press to always report the last meal, almost out of tradition. And of course the images help conjur up interpretations about the inmates themselves. It was very bleak, haunting and disturbing.

As a colleage put it, something about eating....even the worst of humans....you watch them eat, and well, it brings us all down to a common level.

Aside from my Aperture article, there is this book that was recently and coincidentally published as well.
    http://www.commoncouragepress.com/index.cfm?action=book&bookid=240

When Im home, I'll dig up the Aperture article. If you were interested, I could fax it to as Aperture is not easy to find and an expensive quarterly.

By kazu on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 01:15 pm:

We have Aperture here so if you could just send the citation, that would be great.

Thanks.

By patrick on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 01:52 pm:

current issue. fall 2003.

By V.v. on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 06:46 pm:

Kazu,you need to talk with dead men walking,on death row.Try the web page PRISON PENPALS or if thats too creepy,talk with a prison Priest,or even a Prison Governor.

By V.v. on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 06:52 pm:

From my point of view,hoods or blindfolds were to stop the casting of an evil eye,mostly by whitches burnt at the stake.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 10:01 am:

I dunno, to say that you would have to know the ratio of alleged witches to other criminals and the ratio of eye covering in each population.

Of course, if you mean actual witches, that would be even harder to prove, since it's pretty well known now that most women who were accused of witchcraft were not witches.

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 03:05 pm:

Sem,that is a good point,but are not criminals regarded as evil?and as such may also be able to cast an evil eye?think of Charles Manson.In Satanic Witchcraft,the "HAND OF GLORY" was the hand of any exicuted murderer,it would be stood upright,and the fingertips lit as candles.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 03:16 pm:

Well, maybe. Criminals who make it to execution are supposed to be regarded as evil, but of course then you get the innocent people who were convicted in error. And if the belief in "the evil eye" becomes rare in a society, that would not be a conscious factor in the hooding of criminals, although it might be an original factor in the practice. It may be today that people are hooded before execution simply because that's what you're supposed to do.

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 03:22 pm:

Or to stop the eyes popping out,and if they did,would probably look evil.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 03:27 pm:

i always thought that that was some type of courtesy, for both the convict and the ones witnessing the execution?

I was going to say electrocution causes some gruesome things to happen to the face, but I think they have always used cloaks....

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 03:35 pm:

Fire proof ones,with steam vents.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 03:45 pm:

ok, you want to get nasty? I got that beat.

They use hoods in electrocution because all you have to do afterwards is wring it out and there's the next dude in line's "chicken noodle soup."

By spunky on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 04:00 pm:

i was thinking head cheese, but yes, that sums it up nicely.

While we are on the subject, I read on IHT today a very interesting article entitled A Warning on Lethal Injections.

You guys know my stance on the death penalty.
    It should be reserved for the most hiddeous of crimes, when reduntant life sentences seems hollow (IE life sentence for convict #1 for killing a man over a woman, and 5 life sentences for a man over killing 5 children, both are effectively the same). And I am not trying to start a political debate, so if you disagree with me, that's fine. I understand your argument, but you won't get me to budge. However, I think we might want to concider something other then the current 3 chem cocktail we are currently using.

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 04:16 pm:

Sem,im still smileing at that :}

By semillama on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

I've heard of that. It seems to me that a simple bullet to the brain is the most humane way of doing it.

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:02 pm:

Spunky,how about the induction of a deep dreamless coma,and then put them in a freezer?

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:05 pm:

Works for Eskimos.

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:14 pm:

Sem,yes sleeping pills then a bullit may be best.,that way you save money on hoods,[double entandre]

By spunky on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:22 pm:

i think if you have a clear conviction, and the death penalty is assessed, a quick bullet, in the back of the head so they never see it coming, and within weeks of the conviction.

deep frozen cons, i would have to figure out why first....

By semillama on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:28 pm:

but then of course you have to have an airtight definition of clear conviction. Most convictions probably wouldn't fit in their. And of course there is the right to an appeal, so forget about weeks of conviction.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:32 pm:

yes, of course you are correct.

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 05:41 pm:

Spunky,you could allways sell the frozen cons to Mc.Donalds.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 07:24 pm:

it's not like you could tell the difference. Probably increase the taste and the protien value...

By kazu on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 07:36 pm:

I should just print out this thread and show it to my professor.

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 07:41 pm:

Good idea.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 07:53 pm:

i would not expose your prof to this madness....

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 7, 2003 - 08:07 pm:

And why does Batman have two pointy bits on his hood?is that for ears,horns or steam vents?Or are they they extra small cell phones?Or did he leave his hood on the washing line too long?

By John Douglas-Reed on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 07:06 am:

I believe the idea originally was that the prisoner about to be executed deserved to die with some dignity and in privacy. Interestingly, though, Susan Newell, the last woman to be hanged in Scotland back in 1923, refused the hood and so was executed without that particular ritual; she obviously did not subscribe to any such mawkish liberal sentimentality.

It's just a pity that the victims of said murderers were afforded no such privilege as a blindfold or the traditional hood.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact