Elevator etiquette

sorabji.com: I need advice: Elevator etiquette
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 10:21 am:

At my office, men sometimes stand aside and let me off or onto the elevator before them. I always say thank you as a way of acknowledging their courtesy, but it has occurred to me that it might be impolite/gauche to say thank you. Maybe the more graceful thing would be to remain silent.

If you let someone onto the elevator before you (gesturing with your arm for them to go ahead of you), would you prefer they thank you or not?

By Testor on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 10:21 am:

test

By kazu on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 10:27 am:

I don't think that I would care either way.

By Dougie on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 11:32 am:

I've always been convinced that "chivalrous" acts by men for women (holding doors etc) came about as another way for men to check out ladies from behind.

By Spider on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 11:37 am:

So...should I say, "no, thank you"? :)

By dave. on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 11:45 am:

you should just wear a look of eternal disgust.

By Spider on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:03 pm:

But...I already do.

I just want to know whether or not I should say anything or not. I don't think they're checking out my ass (not with the clothes I wear), I think they're just being polite. So is it polite for me to acknowledge their gesture, or is it crass?

By kazu on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:08 pm:

You are thinking about this way too much. It's fine, unless you are gushing about it, turning full around, clutching your heart and saying, "Oh thank you kind sir. thank you. thank you" and blow kisses while walking backwards.

that might be a little too much

By TBone on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:09 pm:

I don't understand why it would be crass. Seems polite to me.

By Spider on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

I'm not thinking about it much at all, it's just a thought I had this morning and a few times in the past.

OK, so, polite? Got it.

By kazu on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:32 pm:

It's sometimes hard to tell, when people post things, if it's just passing concern or not. In any case, I was doing research using etiquette books last month. Old ones, like from the 19th century. Hilarious, I tell you. Talk about obsessive.

By patrick on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:40 pm:

good question spider.

i ride elevators every day and this is a common practice of mine, to allow women to enter and exit the elevator before me.

yes, to scope asses and play the gentleman as well.

i dont see any reason not to say a very subtle 'thank you', but I wouldnt be offended or put off if you didnt.

Eye contact and a quick smile are also a good acknowledgement.

By Spider on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:42 pm:

I know, that's sort of what I was going for. :) I want to know, to the letter of the law, what to do, just because I think it's a fun bit of knowledge to have.

I've read Emily Post's book from the 1930s, and a few other old guides, like one for young women in the military during WWII. I think etiquette is neat.

By Spider on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

Oops, I was responding to Kazu.

Thanks, Patrick. I'll continue to say thank you, or smile.

By Antigone on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

Thank you is good.

Rubbing up against their thigh is better.

By patrick on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:52 pm:

to be honest, it varies. i dont think you should do the same thing everytime. some mornings i feel more mousey and introverted than others, so those days I might smile only.

other days, im more inclined to make small talk, say thanks, smile and bid them a good day.

it just depends on how you feel.

By heather on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 03:35 pm:

when i ride bart in the morning i've found
    myself thinking: if this were the 50's men
    would always be offering me a seat on a
    crowded train- me and other women and older
    folks.

then i realize that in the 50's i'd probably be
    one of only a couple women on transit in rush
    hour, and this is better.

then i think about the giving and the taking and
    the pros and cons of change and equality
    and... you don't really want to hear where this
    goes.

By patrick on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 04:13 pm:

yes we do.

By Antigone on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 04:19 pm:

spill, babe!

By c on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 11:21 pm:

I think it's nice, not crass, to say thanks. I say thanks.

By Nate on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 11:45 pm:

i hold doors for anyone.

By The Watcher on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 12:37 pm:

I always hold doors open for women.

It is ingrained in me.

And, I always appreciate a smile or thank you.

By sarah on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 04:52 pm:

i love and appreciate old fashioned chivalry, always. sometimes i say thank you, sometimes i just smile and nod appreciatively.

one time in hawaii a guy held the door open for me at a 7-11. he was going in and i was coming out. without realizing it or thinking about it, i just pushed open the other door and let myself out, and he got offended and but was good natured about it and said something in a joking manner to me, like "sheeeesh! i was trying to e polite!" and then i realized he was holding the door for me and i had to apologize and explain that i just am a ditz and wasn't paying attention.

then he made me go back inside and exit through the door he held open.

i thought that was funny and it made my day.

By Squid on Saturday, January 3, 2004 - 08:13 pm:

I think you should smile and say 'thank you'. That way, you make it clear you never thought he SHOULD hold the door for you, but are grateful that he did. And also it's nice and friendly; if he was doing it to check out your arse he'll feel guilty because you responded so innocently (maybe...)

By Tee on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 08:17 am:

I live in Malaysia. Majority of people who stay in "not-so-urban" areas such as Klang, Selangor (where I stay by the way), people would rush into the elevator when the doors are opened without allowing the passengers in the lift to exit first!!! Yes! I witnessed this myself in Jaya Jusco, Klang. On the other hand, in urban areas such as Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, it is rare to witness such incidences but believe me, there are still one or two recalcitrant that rushes into the lift. When it is pointed out to them that they should wait for the passengers in the lift to come out first, the recalcitrant would retaliate and you would be told off instead!

I strongly believe that "consideration" is the main keyword here. In Klang, it is not rare to find some joker smoking in an air-conditioned restaurant, cinema, etc. You will also be surprised to find inconsiderate drivers parking and driving their cars indiscriminately.

Perhaps a research on why people in Malaysia (especially this sub-urban areas) behave in such a disgusting manner should be conducted.

By RC on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 10:09 pm:

Spider,

A thank you is ALWAYS appropriate. It shows that you recognize & appreciate that a courtesy has been extended to you. It also shows you have good manners.

And if the guy's are checking out your ass, so what? No Harm Done, as long as they keep their comments to themselves.

- RC

By semillama on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 03:50 pm:

Tee - Maybe the problem is that they are trying to act like Americans.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact