Parenting

sorabji.com: I need advice: Parenting
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 03:07 pm:

Ok.

So last night my child and I spent some time on the potty. She insists I sympathy-sit with her and im ok with this. We had a deck of cards and played card, her own game, which consists of just giving me, in no apparent order all of her hand one by one.

After the card game passes and my legs are good and asleep, she starts really investigating her bits and pieces. I mean, really digging in, checking it out. I tell what shes looking at, advise her to be gentle as shes sensitive. At that time she takes to poking herself rather bluntly to which she replies "oww" does it again "ouchie". This invesitgation of hers goes on for a good ten minutes or so.

She relishes in the apparent horror on my face. As she looks up and just gets hysterical. Its a real moment we're sharing here people.

Now, I certainly did nothing to discourage her curiosity. This is an area all parents seek to pass as frictionless and healthy as possible. At the same time I wasn't entirely sure of my response.

I realize the issues are all me, and she, in general, is a clean slate. Do any of you, parents or otherwise have any suggestions as to deal with these otherwise harmless instances? Dave, how did you deal? Spunk?

By dave. on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 03:33 pm:

i don't recall any situations like that with cleo but i'd probably ignore it unless it became a fixation. then i'd probably consult someone trained in toddler care.

usually, it's boys who can't leave their junk alone, and in that case i'd still do like i said above. unless the kid was diddling his or herself in public, in which case, i'd remove them from the public view, but i wouldn't get mad at them.

By droopy on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 12:37 am:

this reminds me of a story a baptist preacher once told me. he and a bunch of other preachers went to dinner at a preacher's house. i can't remember what for. anyway, the host preacher has a young daughter. they're all sitting together at the table when the daughter suddenly announces, "i have a vagina!"

stunned baptist silence.

then she says "that's right, i have a vagina. but daddy has a penis!" - then pointing to each man at the table - "and you have a penis, and you have a penis, and you--"

"that's alright dear, we know who has what."

later on he explains to his fellow men of god that his daughter had caught him as he was coming out of the shower and said "daddy, what's that?" So he decided to tell her about what men have and women have and all that birds and bees stuff.

i am also reminded of the mighty unicorn

watch that kid, patrick.

and are we really sure that women always keep their hands off themselves when they're young?

By wisper on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 11:16 pm:

Unlike you poor bastards, chicks are born with all the nerves and muscles for orgasms pretty much ready to go.
    It's my very earliest memory. I was 2.

By patrick on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 01:59 pm:

Are boys NOT born without nerves and muscles? Baby boy erections are not uncommon. Having all the right parts is a given and related sensations is universal. Understanding what to do with it is another thing.

By wisper on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 09:14 pm:

i dunno, can guys fully climax without cumming?
    Can a male child really *finish*?

By droopy on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 12:08 am:

yes.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 01:53 am:

yep

By dave. on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 02:14 am:

yeah, younguns shoot blanks.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 02:20 am:

Tell that to my 30 year old son.

By heather on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 03:27 am:

*snicker*

ew

By wisper on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 02:33 pm:

on second thought, I'm sorry i ever asked about the nature of male toddler orgasms.

ew

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 04:46 pm:

You opened up that can 'o' worm.

By spunky on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 05:35 pm:

Patrick,
    Micki did (does) not really do too much in that regard, but Hayley was/is a different story.
    She really liked using her toys.....

The best thing I would suggest is let them be, you don't want to traumatize them about thier sexuality, and the curiousity is a natural thing.

Still disturbing to a father, yes, but nonetheless healthy and OK ( and this is coming from a redstate conservative).

By semillama on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 08:32 pm:

"Tell that to my 30 year old son" - har har!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact