from all you wonderful librarians/datanerds out there

sorabji.com: I need advice: from all you wonderful librarians/datanerds out there
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By lapis on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 08:38 pm:

in exchange for a library membership at portland's black rose collective, i agreed to archive their collection and compile a catalog.

i've been entering each book into a database using open office, but is there an easy way to search through it or should i transfer the information into a different program?

also, the collection is fairly stagnant, i've been thinking of entering the books into the bookcrossing database so people know that they're there... are there other ways to increase circulation?

By Antigone on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:26 pm:

Hide money in them.

Random schedule positive reinforcement does the trick every time...

By agatha on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 03:50 am:

Hmmm, let me think on this one. I'll report back shortly.

By Spider on Thursday, February 1, 2007 - 12:34 pm:

Ooh. I'm unfamiliar with Open Office -- is it a data entry system like MS Access?

To increase circulation, could you create a display, or put the materials in a more visible position in the library?

Do you have to reorganize anything before you enter the collection in Open Office? (I'm taking cataloging this semester and am finding that the concept of Information Organization is extremely intellectually arousing. I also processed two archival collections last semester, but these were paper and artifact collections, and I created a paper finding aid [no digital records].)

By wisper on Thursday, February 1, 2007 - 07:52 pm:

Open Office is a series of free programs made to copy the Microsoft Office line of programs.

By lapis on Friday, February 2, 2007 - 02:40 am:

i'm using base, which is the open office version of access.

i'm mostly staying with the categories that others working in the library have previously set. documenting author, title, cover type, publisher, copyright year, isbn, category, page count, replacement cost and current damage levels.

each book is marked with a unique number and replaced alphabetically within its category. i plan on registering them in bookcrossing if others at the collective are into the idea.

the library is currently cramped and awkward. the whole collective is inside a shed, about the size of a two-car garage. along with a 1000+ volume library, there's a bookstore, a books-for-prisoners program and a freestore that often fills any floorspace within the library. space is at a premium. the books-for-prisoners program is moving inside the house, opening up a ton of space (50% more shelves!) but there's crates of books waiting to be put into the library. more come every week.

one of the other volunteers and i were discussing the idea of a benefit for the collective and how i should sing the "unchecked out library book blues".

it's all very exciting. maybe i'll go to library school too, after i have four more years of school under my belt. we'll see. for now i'm enjoying the work.

By V on Friday, February 2, 2007 - 07:10 pm:

..in England,you can go in a library and get a set of reading glasses for $2,,,cool huh?

By V on Friday, February 2, 2007 - 07:53 pm:

...if you want class,then its $10,maximum,you have the same system as England?..myself I am stupid,spent $700 on a set of of BULGARI frames and the nose pads split after 4 weeks.

By heather on Friday, February 2, 2007 - 09:08 pm:

mine were over $500 but made of scienc-y plastic and survived being run over by some suv's while spending the night in the gym parking lot [just the glasses, not me]

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, February 3, 2007 - 06:48 pm:

Microsoft sucks.... I know they are still vulnerable by hacker.

By agatha on Sunday, February 4, 2007 - 08:55 pm:

Some questions for you...
    What is it composed of- mostly standard books, zines, documents, audio stuff, ? Who uses the collection? Is the library open to the public? Are there other organizations in the area that serve the same purpose as the collective? When will the collection be moved? What kind of shelving will there be in the new space? Are the unique numbers assigned randomly, or is there some meaning to them?

By Label on Monday, February 5, 2007 - 11:38 pm:

agatha, try the periodocal dept, if not, ask the librarians, they might give you some info, usually,they store it for up to ten twenty years.

By Label on Monday, February 5, 2007 - 11:38 pm:

agatha, try the periodocal dept, if not, ask the librarians, they might give you some info, usually,they store it for up to ten twenty years.

By agatha on Monday, February 5, 2007 - 11:53 pm:

Ummmm, thanks. Label.

By lapis on Tuesday, February 6, 2007 - 04:52 am:

The collection is mainly books, supplemented by a shelf of videos for rent and a box of zines. I've only archived the books thus far.

Anyone can peruse, but membership (12 hours or $20 per year) is required for checkout.

The collective is the only organization that uses the space, some outreach is a good idea. I have friends who do membership and volunteer coordinating at the iprc and freegeek.

the numbers i've assigned mark the order they've been plugged into the database.

i don't know when the extra shelf space will be cleared, it may not be for some time. it's very similar to the current shelves... i'll have to take a look at it the next time i'm there.

as for similar organizations..... there's two bookstores, laughing horse (radical) and in other words (feminist); liberty hall/the iww hall; and portland freeskool. i don't think there's a current organization in portland that fills the same niche. the iprc has a zine library, but the freestore may be unique.

i feel like there has to be a better way to economize the space, but with the dilemma of combined bookstore, freestore and library it may be a tad confusing. the library is half-obscured from the main space, blocked by the bookstore shelves.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact