I need some help with a math question PLEASE!!

sorabji.com: I need advice: I need some help with a math question PLEASE!!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dani on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 12:48 am:

A family spends 20% of its monthly income on food, 23% on rent, and 42% on other expenses and saves the balance. If the family saves $360 per month, what is its monthly income?

A.$2,000
    B.$2,200
    C.$2,400
    D.$2,500
    E.$28,800

I would appreciate the help.
    Thank you.

By jack on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 01:25 am:

jack is back in town. hi dani.

ok, they spend this much: 20% + 23% + 42% = 85% of monthly income spent

so they save the rest: 100% (entire monthly income) - 85% spent = 15% saved

they save $360 per month, so 15% of their income = $360
    this can also be expressed as 0.15 = $360 (15% = 0.15)

with 0.15 = 360, we want to find out what 1.00 = ?
    because just like 0.15 = 15%, 1.00 = 100% (which will tell us the family's entire monthly income).

when 0.15 = 360
    to find what 1.00 equals, we divide both sides of the = sign by 0.15 as follows:

0.15/0.15 = 360/0.15

0.15/0.15 = 1.00 and 360/0.15 = 2400

so 1.00 = 2400
    and 100% of their income is $2400

i'll check back in if you have more questions

and just in case i screwed that up and someone corrects me!

By Dani on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 02:34 am:

damn Jack, you are a pretty smart man! Thank you so much.
    I'm stuck on another to...I'll post it and if you feel like trying it, cool...if not I understand!
    Here it is...

A room is 24 feet long, 18 feet wide, and 9 feet high. How many square yards of wallpaper are needed to paper the four walls of the room?

Yes I know, math and I don't get along very well. This is my daughters homework so I'm glad you demonstrated how to do it and just didnt give me the answer.
    Oh yeah, hi Jack!

By Dani on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 03:06 am:

I'll just post the ones I can't get and if anyone gets bored and wants to help, feel free!

How many 4-inch by 8-inch bricks are needed to build a walk 6 feet wide and 24 feet long?

---------------------------------

The diameter of one bicycle wheel is 28 inches and its spokes run from the hub (or center) to the edge of the rim. The diameter of another bicycle wheel 21 inches. What is the difference in inches between the length of the spokes of the two wheels?

By jack on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 03:24 am:

hi dani.

i love it when parents want to help their children learn. which you obviously do. it's the best. especially because you are not too proud to ask for help with things you don't have total understanding of. that is commendable and that is something to be proud of.

ok, this question gives the dimensions in feet -- but it asks for the answer in square yards (not square feet), which is the tricky angle here.

but we recognized that, and we know that there are 3 feet = 1 yard, so we can progress.

ok, the room has four walls:

two are 24 feet long = 8 yards long
    (8 yards because 24 feet/3 feet per yard = 8 yards)

two are 18 feet wide = 6 yards wide
    (6 yards because 18 feet/3 feet per yard = 6 yards)

and all four walls are 9 feet high = 3 yards high
    (3 yards because 9 feet/3 feet per yard = 3 yards)

so 2 walls are 8 yards long x 3 yards high = 24 square yards. therefore for these 2 walls we need 48 square yards of paper (2 walls x 24 square yards)

the other two walls are 6 yards long x 3 yards high = 18 square yards for each of 2 walls; and we need 18 x 2 = 36 square yards of paper for the two walls

so 48 square yards for 2 walls + 36 square yards for two walls = 84 square yards for all 4 walls

in the real world, we'd fuck up about 32 square yards of paper trying to get that shit up because we're human and wallpapering is not easy...but for the purpose of this exercise, we're smooth operators when it comes to wallpapering, so we cut the corners precisely and make it with the 84 square yards.

rock on, dani

By jack on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 03:31 am:

i'll try to get back to you tomorrow on the others; might not make it back though. hope someone else chimes in!

By wisper on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 04:45 am:

oh my god, i know the bike one:

Diameter is width. The spokes are half of the width (that's called the radius). So the spokes on the first bike are half of 28 (14) and the second bike spokes are half of 21 (10.5).
    14 - 10.5 = 3.5

It's 2am and i'm so proud of myself. This is probably like grade 1 math :(

By jack on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 10:18 am:

awesome; thank you wisper!

How many 4-inch by 8-inch bricks are needed to build a walk 6 feet wide and 24 feet long?

---------------------------------
    This question, like the wallpaper one, mixes units of measurement. We know that 12 inches = 1 foot, so we can progress. The question seeks an area, so let's work with square inches (you could also do it with square feet but that would get decimals involved).

area = length x width (as long as the units of measurement are consistent)

The area of each brick is 4 inches * 8 inches = 32 square inches.

For the area of the walk to be built:

6 feet x 12 inches = 72 inches and 24 feet x 12 inches = 288 inches.

So we need a walk that is 72 inches * 288 inches = 20,736 square inches

To build a 20,736 square-inch walk with bricks measuring 32 square inches each:
    20736/32 = 648 bricks needed.

Again, in the real world, we'd screw up some bricks and need more, but 648 is the precise number that will build the walk.

648 bricks to build the walk.

By heather on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 03:14 pm:

aw

By Dani on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 10:05 pm:

You guys are super cool!
    I really do appreciate all your help.
    I took Kim out of public high school in 9th grade and enrolled her in a private school in 10th grade. The private school closed down last year and I was not about to put her back in public school. So, I enrolled her in St. Pete Junior college and she is doing AWESOME!
    She will have her high school diploma in about 3 months and she's only 17.
    What a great kid I have. I'm amazed every day at how perfect she turned out to be.
    She dont date yet and really has no interest to. She dont drink, do drugs or get in any trouble at all. Total opposite of me!!!
    Time sure flies...she's 17 and I'm 38. Almost makes me wanna cry!
    I hope everyone here at Sorabji is doing well with their kids as well.
    I saw Sarah had a baby...congradulations to her.
    I saw some of you got married...good for you! I wish you many years of happiness.
    Have a great new year everyone and thanks again with the math help.
    I'd like to post some pics of Kim for you guys to see but I dont know how!

How is Miss Cloe and Mr. Dave doing Agatha?

And how about Miss Heather...what's new with you?

By heather on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 10:29 pm:

just waitin for somebody to want to make a childthing with me.

stupid ovaries.

i also had my first two-flights-in-the-same-day to go somewhere and back. ces was a madhouse.

my mom took me out of private school to go to public because she thought it would be better. and it was, strangely enough.
    pay no attention to my sentence structure.

By jack on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 11:27 pm:

you went to ces? wow. well, i forgive you and want to have your kids anyway.

By heather on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 11:46 pm:

it was on official worktype business, does that make it any better? i also promise to never do it again.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 11:58 pm:

Heather, what kind of private school?

By jack on Wednesday, January 9, 2008 - 02:37 am:

of course that makes it better.

By heather on Wednesday, January 9, 2008 - 04:09 am:

what kind. not catholic, not special assistance, not buddist, not a midrasha, not a school for the deaf. it was smallish, and prudish, and half an hour away from my house. i was sent home from 2nd grade because my skirt was too short and my mother sent me back in the same dress because she thought it was silly.

prisoner of war?
    petulant or wasted?
    perturbed over wainscoting?

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 01:09 am:

Bwhahaha! sound like your parent is a millionaire...
    !. if it is a catholic school, then the tution and boarding must be expensive.
    2. if it is a special assitance, it must be provide by the state government .
    3. if it is a buddist, must be real odd, wear a robes, chanting, candle lighting, sleep om damn hard floor. I don't want to do that!
    4. if it is a midrasha, (sorry) i am not a hebrew, therefore, someone must be a jewish to join in to be a better jewish explore their thought.
    5 if it is deaf, it is it must be provided by the state government, and they lived on different world.
    However; I believed that the private school is a waste of time , for some of my variety of reason.
    It is a joke....

By heather on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 02:30 am:

i'm smiling but not following. i suppose my answer was kind of insane. it was late. i was tired.

my parents were not millionaires. my mother said that they sent us there because i started swearing in first grade.

By Antigone on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 04:18 am:

I started dancing around, singing the "Shit Song," which I made up myself, at about that age. My parents responded, "Fuck yeah! You go boy!" or the 70's equivalent.

I still remember the first time I cursed in anger. I was walking home after getting my first report card in 5th grade. My math teacher gave me a B for the first 6 week period. I threw down the report card and yelled, "GOD DAMN!" Scared the shit out of myself I was so angry. Nobody came between me and an A in math. :)

By Dr Pepper on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:03 am:

I just went to the gas station wanting to purchase the money order for almost $7.00 in order for me to buy a items from ebay, guess what? When I asked a lady that I wanted to purchase a money order for 7.00, she goes "we don't sell money order", ok, I noticed the Moneygram printing machine, and said to her ."you do have the Money gram machine", she goes, " I do not know how to do that, sorry, sorry" I noticed that she has a inexcuse attitude toward me . So I am going have to think of something that she will regret for not selling me a money order.
    I have always heard of people always complaing about wanting the job, and then once they start the job, the next thing I heard was, they want a different option! It pissed me off!
    How can they wanting the job and have inability to learn, where did they learn how to do a job without training!, I find this a insult and outrageous .

By jack on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:13 am:

sic Iqbal on her! Bwa-ha-ha-ha! She will regret!

Take a shit in the aisle and yell at her "clean up on Aisle Your Face!" Bwa-ha-ha! She will regret!

Go in and say "I want to sell a money order! You must buy money order!" Bwa-ha-ha! She will regret! You will love the look on her face!

Smash the Cheez-Its! Pour them on the counter and dump a Coke on the pile of orange crumbs! Bwa-ha-ha! She will regret!

Knuckle Sandwich! Bwa-ha-ha! She will regret!

Or you could just ignore her! Bwa-ha-ha! She already regrets plenty!

By heather on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 01:25 am:

ah, the famous chezjacques cheez-it souffle. good thing i already ate dinner.

i had no idea that a gas station would have a money order. i hate money orders.

someone tell me about their new year. or last year. or next year. please. thanks.

By droopy on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 02:35 am:

my new year is called 2008. if i were muslim, my new year (as of last wednesday) would be 1429. the most eventful thing to happen so far has been the death of my 90 year old great-uncle doug.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 03:34 am:

heather, i won't use my personal check to buy order, but rather use money order to make purchase... yes ,you tell me, few of them have it, and clerk really don't know how to use it.
    droopy, excuse me *ahem* are you on drugs?

By Karla on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 01:25 pm:

Hubby and I went to a New Year's party. At midnight, the only people left were us and the hosts. Sheesh.
    My son (15) went to a NY party and I had to go drag his ass home at 2:30 a.m.
    Youth is wasted on the young. (Maybe not in his case.)

By sarah on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 03:31 pm:

dani is 38 and has a 17 year old.

i'm 37 and i have a 2 month old.

i wish i had started earlier.

By heather on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:58 pm:

1429 is a cooler number

By Antigone on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:23 pm:

By wisper on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 03:57 pm:

heather- i spent new year's at a friend's house with a few people. They just got Rock Band so we played it all night. I wish we had done something else because after about 2 hours i was so sick of the game i never wanted to play it again. It's like Guitar Hero but....shitty. With an added karaoke element. Nothing like hearing someone butcher "Creep" by Radiohead while part of your overall score depends on their part. I was the drummer. Drumming is fun. But after 5 hours nothing in that game is fun anymore. I was glad to leave.

By heather on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 02:05 am:

i tried the drumming for a bit and it was really fun. much more so than the guitar parts but that may be because the way they break them up and assign notes makes no sense to me (and i suck.)

By sarah on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 02:26 am:

oh man, thanks for the tip.

cj already is a little too interested in tv for my comfort. those gadgets seem like a much better alternative. she sits up and stares at tv, with an attention span far beyond her attention span for any games or toys. she especially likes football.

one thing i've learned. without batteries, your life is hell. we've got rechargables, and non recharables. we're battery stocked.

By Antigone on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 05:46 am:

Yeah, we're trying to keep Ada away from regular TV watching until she's 2, at least. We want to promote longer attention spans without the ever changing imagery.

By agatha on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 07:38 pm:

That's admirable. Cleo is a TV junkie. We only let her watch PBS when she was little, but we got lax around 9 or 10 years old. Keep vigilant!
    PS- Sarah, scrabbly scrabbly? I know you've got lots of spare time these days... :)

By sarah on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 02:10 am:

ooooo thanks for the reminder! i can scrabble tomorrow for sure.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact