Family advice

sorabji.com: I need advice: Family advice
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Saturday, October 4, 2008 - 02:53 pm:

I need advice on how to handle a situation with my mother and her family. I'll try to present only the most relevant information.

My mother is currently in Argentina, gathering data for her dissertation. She is due back home in Boston on 10/13.

She has no job and is living off student loans and a small monthly disability check.

My mother is one of seven children. Her father is 98 and in decent health, but he lives with my mother's youngest sister, Maggie, who is an alcoholic with serious mental health issues and who is unemployed. Maggie has a son, Jimmy, who has health problems due to past drug use. Maggie and my mother are ten years apart and until recently were not close. Maggie, Jimmy, and my grandfather live in Las Vegas. Two of my mother's brothers live in Las Vegas with their families, and another brother lives with his family in Salt Lake City. (The other brother and sister live on the East Coast.)

In the past couple of years, my mother has stayed with Maggie and my grandfather for 2-4 week periods in an effort to reconnect with Maggie and to spend time with my grandfather as he nears the end of his life. During these times, Maggie is verbally abusive to my mother in much the same way their own mother was (i.e., Grandma was a fucking psycho, Maggie's picking up where she left off, my mom is...I don't know...recreating some weird psychodrama by choosing to put herself back in this abusive situation. It's weird and complicated and probably irrelevant.)

Except. The other day my mother emailed me, my brother, and my father (they're divorced and not friendly) asking us to search for and pay for a ticket for her from Argentina to Las Vegas. Maggie had emailed her (through her other sister, Annie) and asked her to come to Las Vegas while her son Jimmy is in the hospital having surgery. No further explanation was given as to why my mother -- of all people in that large family -- is to be the one who does this. My mother, in turn, emailed me, my brother, and dad asking us for help.

I replied, basically saying: Um, what exactly does she need you to do? So what if Jimmy is having surgery -- what are you supposed to do about it that she can't do? If she truly needs you to be there, she'll pay for your ticket; otherwise, you can't afford it, and you need to get home to start working on your dissertation.

Mom replied to that, basically saying: No, I'm sorry, you need to help me.

I have a part-time job and am living off that and savings until I find a full-time job. My brother has a part-time job and is living off that and my father's credit card. So my brother and I don't have any money to spare, which this means my father would have to do it. My father is gainfully employed and does have the money; however, he just emailed me and told me he was staying out of this. Great.

Here's the thing: I don't think she should go. There's no reason for her to go. Go and do what? Nothing that any of the family *already in Las Vegas* can't do.

I don't want my mom to give anything more to her awful sister who treats her horribly. I don't want to enable my mom to be involved in some crazy recreation of her childhood abuse saga. She loooooves playing the martyr and victim, and this would feed right into that. I don't have the money to help her, and I don't want my father to have to give her any more money than he already has. I don't want to be in the middle between them, either.

And if she *does* go, her sister should pay for the fucking ticket. Am I not right?

Argh. What should I do? My mom is awaiting my reply.

By Spider on Saturday, October 4, 2008 - 03:00 pm:

Ugh, I probably shouldn't have posted this anyway.

Jeez, I go online to look for a recipe for good mac and cheese, and this melodrama spills out.

By heather on Saturday, October 4, 2008 - 03:02 pm:

i'm sorry mom, i don't have the money

[also could be added:] here is $50 [or whatever] toward your ticket, i hope you find a way to go

By droopy on Saturday, October 4, 2008 - 04:12 pm:

i'm with heather. dígale a su madre: lo siento mamacita, no tengo dinero.

By patrick on Saturday, October 4, 2008 - 04:18 pm:

agreed. you dont have the money

i don't think you need to offer anything to her other than just that. "I dont have the money". her saying "you need to help me" isn't really any appropriate approach.

By wisper on Saturday, October 4, 2008 - 05:05 pm:

You don't have the money and you're staying out of this.
    Love, you.

By platyus on Saturday, October 4, 2008 - 05:15 pm:

I'm with everyone else on this one. You very legitimately don't have the money, and humbly suggest that Maggie pay for the ticket if she believes it is important for your mom to be there.

This whole larger situation also sounds very shitty. I'm sorry, Spider.

By Nate on Saturday, October 4, 2008 - 07:24 pm:

it clearly isn't an option for you financially.

how does the relationship of your mom -> you compare to maggie -> your mom?

By Spider on Saturday, October 4, 2008 - 09:51 pm:

Thanks for your advice, y'all. I just wrote back to her and told her basically what you've said -- my brother and I don't have the money, and I suggest she ask Maggie to pay for the ticket.

It's the larger situation that makes this so depressing. She wrote that she's doing this for her father -- she's afraid he'll worry himself sick over Jimmy's surgery. Right. He didn't worry himself sick when she had cancer, or when she had emergency surgery and flatlined during recovery; I'm sure he'll be fine now.

My mom and I have had, since my adolescence, more of a sibling-like relationship than mother-daughter. The similarities between Maggie and me end there.

By moonit on Sunday, October 5, 2008 - 08:09 pm:

Oh Spidy, I hear you. My mum is like my little sister. I have had to stop myself from giving her money - because she never pays it back and then I get shitty and then it causes a big drama.

By Spider on Sunday, October 5, 2008 - 11:03 pm:

Argh, my mom's the same way! *Little* sister, is right. It bites.

She emailed me back saying she's going to buy the ticket herself. Ooookay.

By moonit on Monday, October 6, 2008 - 05:00 am:

Oh man. Yeah it does. Whats even grosser is when they try and tell you about their sex lives. My mature way of dealing with that is to cover my ears and yell 'GERIATRIC SEX EWWWWWWWWWWWW' until she shuts up.

By sarah on Monday, October 6, 2008 - 11:51 am:

the only reason i can think of why maggie "needs" your mom there is simply to look after your grandfather while maggie is presumably hanging out in the hospital most of the day.

but nonetheless, it's not your responsibility to help fund your mother's travels, especially when you can't afford it anyway.

By TBone on Monday, October 6, 2008 - 02:26 pm:

Remind me to be nicer to my mom.

It would be awful to put yourself into debt in order to send your mother on an unnecessary trip across the globe. Now it sounds like she's going to do it to herself, and in the process she'll give herself more martyr ammo.

If Aunt Maggie really needs someone to be there and to actually do something, she should ask someone who's already on the same continent.

By Nate on Monday, October 6, 2008 - 03:20 pm:

continents are overrated.

By TBone on Monday, October 6, 2008 - 04:35 pm:

Personally, I hate 'em.

By Spider on Monday, October 6, 2008 - 06:09 pm:

Martyr ammo. That phrase is spot-on.

As to why it's my mom who's been asked to do this, everyone else in the family has probably washed their hands of Maggie and her situations. I just figured that out today (*is slow*).

My mom is single and thus thankfully cannot regale me with stories of her sex life, but that doesn't stop her from telling me what she'd *like* to do. Gaaaahh.

By Parentless Danielssss on Tuesday, October 7, 2008 - 12:47 pm:

What a sec...just because one is single does not mean there are not abundant sagas to tell of single sex life (like ameoba splitting and so on).

What boundary is there when a parent tells a chuild, adult or not, what they wold "like" to do. Hmm, I smell the sooty day old cheese here.

Un opinionated as I am... I am with Wisper and the rest on this: no tengo dinero, but even louder: Sorry, Mom, wish I could help, or I wouldn't help even if I cold, since it's not my problem (NMP) that you're having a financial crisis in leaving Argentina...(and more emphatically) why in the world would you want to go visit your abusive sister? and oh by the way, love you, and have a nice trip whatever you decide. Could yo send me a t-shirt?

Stay out of the drama is good advice anytime.

By agatha on Tuesday, October 7, 2008 - 12:57 pm:

Welcome back, tbone. I missed you.
    Spider- your mom makes me sad.

By TBone on Tuesday, October 7, 2008 - 07:37 pm:

Thanks, agatha.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 7, 2008 - 07:50 pm:

you know what i like about tbone? he's rock solid.

rock solid.

By droopy on Tuesday, October 7, 2008 - 08:59 pm:

i respect tbone's hatred of continence. definitely overrated.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 7, 2008 - 09:20 pm:

i just laughed so hard i shit myself.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 04:48 pm:

Email from my mom today:

Hi hon,

See below ---does Annie never cease to amaze us? This is about the third e-mail I received from her, all with excuses about how she would not be able to help me find a ticket.

Today I received an e-mail from Maggie telling me not to worry about coming to LV, that she would just be with Jimmy for about 2 hours in the hospital...again, much ado about nothing. So, I won´t be going to LV after all.

>>Can you go to one of those computer cafes to make your arrangements? I spoke to Maggie and she is going to have [Spider] make the arrangements.

In sum: all that drama for nothing.

I cannot fail to note, however, the phrase, "she is going to have [Spider] make the arrangements." With whose money would I have done that, I wonder. Gaaahh.

On a totally unrelated note, Trader Joe's' dried sweetened mango slivers are the food of the gods.

By semillama on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 01:23 pm:

Trader Joe's is home to many different foods of the gods.

Case in point: those little crispy chocolate chip cookies. Dangerous.

Another case in point: Holiday Jo-jos - with peppermint filling and bits of candy canes.

and then there were the dark chocolate covered, peanut butter filled, pretzel nuggets.

By platypus on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 01:53 pm:

I really like the brandy beans they have during the holiday season. Those things are where it's at.

By Danielssss on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 02:42 pm:

luv the holly jo jo

By sarah on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 04:25 pm:

oh god i love the dark chocolate covered peanut butter pretzel nuggets.

By Nate on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 04:50 pm:

i read that as "dark chocolate covered peanut butter pork nuggets"

By Nate on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 04:56 pm:

which, by the way, sound divine.*

* These statements have not been verified by the Federal Religion Administration.

By Spider on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 07:11 pm:

Their chocolate-covered cranberries will be my undoing.

By patrick on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 08:05 pm:

the woman eats the choco covered cherries like fucking crack.

not being a sweets person, i dont have many favorite TJ sweets, if any. however, their cheesey doodles are amongst the best, even better then Barbaras brand.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact