Sorabjiites who take pictures

sorabji.com: I need advice: Sorabjiites who take pictures
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By platypus on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 04:08 pm:

Which cameras are you using, and why? Do you like/dislike them? I'm thinking about upgrading to a digital SLR, and the options are basically so insane that I'm not really sure what to do.

L-glass? No L-glass? Nikon? Canon? I figure lots of us take pictures, and some of us (ahem, Patrick and Nate) take really good pictures, so someone might have some useful thoughts for me, preferably before my head explodes.

By Nate on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 05:48 pm:

my digital SLR is a Canon 350D (Rebel XT). My biggest reasons for choosing Canon is because a local friend had a Canon and had spent a lot of money on EOS lenses (and freely lends his shit to me.)

I chose the 350D because it seemed like I was getting all the bang I needed for a low(er) price. I've no complaints; it's a good camera. Also, I have smallish hands and the smaller body of the rebel series is a nice fit (not that a bigger camera body is actually awkward, but ...)

The advice I got from patrick (at least, what I remember) when I bought the camera was to focus on the quality of the glass above all else. An extra MP or five is going to have a lot less impact on the quality of your end result than a quality lens.

By platypus on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 09:33 pm:

I've been hearing that sensor size is also a big issue? I was thinking about the Digital Rebel XSi, but I gather the sensor isn't full frame, and I don't know how important that is, and if it would frustrate me later. I also hear that the kit lens which comes with that camera isn't so hot, so I should get another lens, but I'm not sure I'm ready to plunge into L-glass.

By TBone on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 11:21 pm:

From what I understand, full-size sensors are crazy expensive. A smaller sensor has the added benefit of making your lenses cheaper because you get more telephoto with less lens power.

That said, I've been reading that the newer Nikons with the higher pixel count can actually take worse pictures than the slightly-older 6-megapixel cameras (D-50, D-40 and earlier) because the small sensor size and high pixel density makes each pixel less effective.

I have a Nikion D50, and I like it a lot. I picked up 55-200mm VR (vibration reduction) lens, which has been fabulous. My dad has a D-40, and it's smaller, and doesn't have the information LCD on top, so the main LCD does double-duty. But it can also crank out more shots per second and the screen is larger. I also have several friends with the older D-70, which is a beast, but sports the same sensor.

I can't tell you if Nikons are better or worse than Canons because I chose Nikon for much the same reason Nate chose Canon.

Dang, speaking of which, I have a shit-ton of photos to go through.

By semillama on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 11:35 pm:

I have a Nikon D40X - I didn't chose it, it was a present from my dad. However, I really like it. I agree that lens glass quality is really important.

My advice is simply to try out a few different types of DSLRs and chose the one that feels the best to you - it's not just about features and meagpixels, but also how well you adapt to the controls and functions and how well you like the feel of the camera in your hand.

By Antigone on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 12:08 am:

I have an iPhone camera.

By platypus on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 12:31 am:

Sem, that's a great idea, except that the only people I know with digital SLRs are professional photographers. And I *really like* their cameras, but then I find out how much they cost, with lenses, and I feel a little faint. I was playing with my friend's EOS 5d w/L-glass telephoto and really enjoying it until I realized I could about pay off my student loans with how much that rig cost.

By TBone on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 12:40 am:

It's going to be tough settling for a camera you can afford. You've already tasted blood.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 02:03 am:

I have Kyocera wild card with build in camera.

By sarah on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:29 am:

what's your price range?

By Danielssss on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 04:00 pm:

Information only: I have an expensive Sony digital slr with one expensive lens, and an inexpensive Samsung that makes pretty sounds. Couldn't tell you the models without looking. The Sony takes great shots; the Samsung takes great shots, too, but doesn't have the obvious capabilities the Sony has. It's a different kind of camera all together, and for my limited expertise (none) the Sony is quite a bit of overkill. The Samsung is not any easier to use but fits in the pocket, and is wonderful on triping out of the country where you don't want to have an obviously expensive camera which makes you a target. But the microphotography I've done is as good on one as the other. I have a cheapass Sanyo Sprint Katana PCS phone that I never use for pictures, but is a pretty decent if not old phone. I am less than an amateur here. Don't listen to me for advice here. I enjoy both cameras, and especially like the Sony for artsy stuff, night photography and such. But then again, I use acrylics when I paint, so I'm not a real painter either.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 02:48 am:

I won't buy another digital camera if this connects to my computer, cause there was connection problem or we have to wait until the computer recognize the camera. So ,I stick with my cellular camera, all I have to take pictures and then upload to my wireless account to retrive the photos. Fucking bullshit!

By Nate on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 11:56 am:

how much experience do you have with a film SLR camera?

i think you'll be happy with an XTi. i wouldn't worry that it isn't a full frame sensor.

By Nate on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:02 pm:

well, that's based on the concerns i'm assuming.

and i'm pretty sure you can buy a rebel body-only.

By platypus on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:25 pm:

I actually have a lot of experience with film SLRs (in fact I still shoot with film pretty regularly); I only went digital in the last few years, and just couldn't afford what was out there in the digital SLR range at that time. But I'll trust your vote of confidence on the Rebel (which I am definitely thinking of getting body-only).

By Nate on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 11:40 pm:

You get a lot of bang for the buck with the Rebel.

But if you do go Rebel, stay away from the EF-S mount lenses, just in case you do end up going towards a full-frame body in the future.

By platypus on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 01:05 am:

It's a pity my film SLR is an ancient Nikkormat. I doubt the lenses are a match.

By Nate on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:48 am:

It is possible that you can get an adapter ring. I know you can buy an adapter ring that allows you to use leica R mount lenses and some nikon F mount lenses including nikkor lenses (but some nikkor lenses are impossible to adapt due to the camera side elements extending too far into the camera.)

By Karla on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 03:19 pm:

I've got the Rebel XTi at work and the XS at home and honestly, I can't tell much difference between them. The kit lenses are so-so, but there's a huge price increase when you go to better lenses. Your choice really depends on how you want to use them - you can get to a point of no return pretty quickly, cost-wise. That said, you should know that I'm cheap as hell (in more ways than one!)

By patrick on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:25 am:

platy, what's your budget?

the canon EOS lenses made huge leaps in the last 5 years, otherwise I would suggest Nikon over Canon, BUT that is if you are going to go for a higher end Canon such as a 5D, Mark II.

Again if I knew your budget...... Fuji DSLRs are great and reasonably priced...they are actually OEMed Nikons with Fuji brand slapped on the bodies.

Lumix is also making interesting cameras as of late and they at least they used to, use Leica glass in them. Also some models of Sony use Schneider glass which is also considerable.

Personally I totally dislike the rebels. No particular experience or reason. I just don't like them. If you are going for a consumer class DSLR i'd recommend Nikon D80 or 90 but thats just because I like the Nikon system better.

As far as film goes, I am using a Pentax 6x7 monster of a camera. Admittedly Im not shooting a lot of film right now until my darkroom is set up.

And of course if money is no object then shut the fuck up and go for a Leica M80, or one of these bad boys off ebay
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Epson/epson_rd1.asp

that epson is an OEMed Leica, the first rangefinder digital camera.

By patrick on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:21 am:

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:31 am:

Was that you Patrick?

By I.P.Freely on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 01:35 am:

No it was the zig-zag man.Couldn't you tell?

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 02:17 am:

I.P.Freely, looks like Patrick post his own website............

By Danielssss on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 07:39 pm:

well of course, the windmill is excellente/

christ patrick,stick to photos. leave the writing to us writers, though it's damn good, an outline of a great novel. a nebel price to pay for a cross country trip.

By wisper on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 12:33 pm:

omg that mustache

By agatha on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 03:56 pm:

Yeah, about that mustache... it brings Machiavelli to mind.

By patrick on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 05:26 pm:

what can i say, the girl likes the pirate look. im a whore...if it nets me more action then....well.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact