dirty old coins

sorabji.com: I need advice: dirty old coins
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 08:23 pm:

i have about $250 in loose coins in my apartment. until recently, they were all in jars or cans. but lately i started rolling the in case i had deposit them in the bank.

the silver coins are in pretty good condition, but the pennies - an entire coffee can's worth - are absolutely filthy. i don't want to roll them because i'd hate to turn them over to anyone. i tried soaking the in salt and vinegar, but that only gets rid of the oxidation, not the dirt. i'm going to have to clean them. there are too many to try too wash them by hand.

i've been given two suggestions: tie them up in an old sock and run them through the washing machine. the other is to put them in something - i was told pantyhose, but all i have is a mesh bag that once held clementines - and run them through the dishwasher.

i'm thinking of doing the dishwasher thing.

anybody have a better suggestion?

By Danielssss on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 12:19 am:

Put em in a pan full of lemon juice I think will make them sparkle

By Dr Pepper on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 01:10 am:

droopy, when I was a small child, I used to mix vinegar and baking soda, just drop a few of it and rub it with a old cloth or rag. Hoped this will help.

By J on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 04:25 am:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who rolls their own Droopy.I just deposited $81.00 worth of coins in my account.I personly don't care how dirty the coins are once they are deposited and out of my hands,but I think that's sweet that you do.:)

By Dougie on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 09:22 am:

Droop, don't you have a TD bank near you? You just dump the coins into a machine, it counts them for you and gives you a receipt, which you take to the teller and get paper money. You don't need an account there.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 12:48 pm:

Normally, I found so many pennies I.E. at the counter at stores, I normally scan the candy rack where people stand at cash register, I would find alot of pennies inside candy boxes and I pick it up, sometimes i picked up from floor. A long ago, a guy who ran the C-store that he owns. He asked me to help him move from one store to another store. I agreed with him and haul everything from one store to another store. When we are done moving everything, He asked me to sweep all of the dust and everything that needed to be throw out. Behind the counter, I spotted alots, I mean alot of quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies. So, I collected and blow the dust off the coins and put in the bag, and handed to him, I told him, "I believed this is your". He said, "No, you keep it as a rewards for cleaning the dust left over".So once the two days weekend moving everything are over and we completed moved everything. He paid me $200.00 plus the coins I found behind the counter worth 32.00 in coins. Boy ,this was alots of fun I ever had.

By ... on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 01:13 pm:

you would not believe how much coin i've had pile up. hundreds of dollars? no -- hundreds of pounds, thousands of dollars, rolled up because I throw them into a coin sorter that automagically stuffed them into the paper rolls. for years i never took them to the bank because the bank required you to write your account # on each roll. i was saving that laborious task for a day when i really needed the money, but then the bank dropped that requirement and i took the coins in a few hundred dollars at a time. i bought a $1000 recliner chair with some of that $. i also had a stash of about 150 dollar bills. i used those to play video games and leave extravagent tips for the bartenders at my regular pub.

By droopy on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 01:54 pm:

in the name of science, i put the pennies through the diswasher in a mesh bag. a few pennies actually look cleaner, but most are still the same. there are too many to try to but in vinegar or some other acid, so i'll just roll 'em dirty.

there are certain supermarkets down here that have those coin counting machines. there was a period of time when i'd have to use those just to buy food. but i don't trust them. anyway, rolling the coins really has more to do with organizing the coins - having them in an easily countable form.

a lot of the coins are eisenhower $1, kennedy 50 cent, and sba and sacagawea dollars.

this is something i picked up from my grandfather - the pleasure of stashed money. when he died, we found bags and cigar boxes of money, coins and cash, stashed in closets, garages, everywhere.

i stash paper money, too. a dollar here to a twenty there, depending on what i have left over after all the necessities are paid for. i put them in those boxes checks come in, which are exactly money sized. when the box is filled to a $1000 capacity, i stop. i have two boxes.

By droopy on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 06:54 pm:

took a little time this afternoon to roll $8 worth of pennies (16 50cent rolls) while listening bach cello suites. very relaxing. i still have more pennies.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 04:08 am:

the saddest part about pennies I have seen for the last many years. some people have no regards for pennies, such like tossed'em out,
    a teenager girl in my homeroom, she tells me that she hated pennies as she tossed in the garbage. every once in a while, I went to the junk yard, I find this very valuable. yes alot of pennies there, at one point, I found a diamond, but ,I am not sure if this is real.
    At one time, last year, a guy made me real angry with him, I believed I have told you ppl a story while back, there is this guy who came to the laundromat, he was sorting out all of the quarters, cause, needed this to wash the clothes, and now, while he is at it, he again sorted the dime and nickel from pennies, guess what? he swept the pennies off the table by his hand and tossed into the fucking damn garbage!Does he have any idea about the pennies has it semimental value? with one hundred pennies, he could have bought himself a lottery ticket. What a idiot he is!

By heather on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 01:57 pm:

there are people who can tell you if diamonds are real.

also pennies. (real?)

even thoughts (real?) i don't trust these particular people, myself, but i would imagine some people find them useful.

By droopy on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 02:14 pm:

i don't think thoughts can be judged as real or unreal. if they are, it's just a matter of opinion.

i am outraged at this whole throwing out of pennies thing. i'm going to start cutting coin slots in large jars and put labels on them like "disability resource fund." then i'll distribute them to laundromats and other places. every week or so i'll come by, empty out the jars and keep it.

By jaq on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 08:38 pm:

you'll probably get mostly nickels and quarters with some slugs and pennies mixed in. on the floor in the laundromats and other places there will still be plenty of pennies.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 12:30 am:

droopy, talking about cutting the slot of a jar cover gave me a horrid memories, A long time ago, when I was like 4 years old, I found a empty metal container that was used for a spice.

I asked my mom if I can have it? She asked me for what? to save the pennies, she let me have it, but , I ran upstair and pulled a few drawer of my dad's dresser, cause I had to climb up since my dad keep his semivaluable stuff there on the top drawer.
    So once I managed to retrive his penknife and attemped to cut the cover of box ontainer to make a slot hole.Since I was too weak to cut and the plastic was so strong and the knife somewhat slided across and ended up cutting my knuckle of my left hand. Suddenly I realized this was frightened thing I ever had. Walked downstair and wanted to tell my mom that I cutted my hand and didn't wanted to say anything. I just walked slowly toward to my mother and hiding my left hand, unknowing to my mother about the injury that I caused and she saw me acting strange, and she trying to figure out what was wrong with me and she look around me and shooked . So then she took me to the children clinic to have it my left hand to be stitched.

By patrick on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 09:03 am:

having not lived next to accessible, servicable, railroad tracks that were in gangland since i was kid until recently, i decided to revist a child hood past time.

putting coins on the tracks. eva that this was pretty fucking neat and now im being asked to flatten pennies for all her little school mates.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, April 17, 2009 - 12:16 am:

Patrick, flattening the pennies on a railroad track is a federal offense.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 01:55 pm:

Try the washing machine?

By J on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 02:16 am:

I miss Patrick.I just rolled up $214.50 in change and put it in my savings account the other day.Fuck Coinstar!

By Spider on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 10:15 am:

What a coincidence, one of the links I'm adding to my library guide is this Civil Defense Manual published by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

My aunt's father (not related to me) was one of the engineers who worked on the Nevada Test Site facilities, where many employees have died of cancer contracted due to radioactive exposure, but he was in and out of the area for decades and is now in his 90s with no illnesses. Maybe radiation acts as a preservative for certain subtypes of our species.

By Spider on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 10:16 am:

Oh, I posted in the wrong thread. :(

By Dr Pepper on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 11:34 am:

So, is he a mutant like Ninja Turtles? Oh Well.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 11:53 am:

By ... on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 03:51 pm:

I have barely an idea of what my dad's 30 years of military service entailed. He was CWO3, which allegedly involves combat training and military engagement, but he never did anything of that kind. He had cryptography skills which he used early in his career (allegedly to intercept some Communist communications) but other then that I never knew what he did. I unearthed his typewriter the other night. It's been in a closet since I brought it up here in 2005. For the first time since it's been in my possession it dawned on me that he must have used it to write his suicide note. It's a Smith Corona with a disk drive for saving documents, but the disk drive is missing and there is nothing stored on the typewriter itself. Whoosh. It is likely in a police file somewhere, and even though I am mildly curious I don't know that I really need to see it. I have a much clearer idea of what my mother did for a living but dad's military record was always opaque to me.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, April 12, 2013 - 08:25 pm:

Hopefully things will turns to transparent images for what happened to them. I don't meant to say that, but to make a discovery can be a painful thing to learn.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact