Morning depression

sorabji.com: I need advice: Morning depression
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 01:05 pm:

My depression are coming back again, Cause we all been working hard last night. This morning,I went out to a DMV to renew my driver license, noticed that I looks fat, so went home to find out that my brother's dog, General Custer chewed the remote control, suddenly, I felt depressed cause there isn't much to do at home, and my work constantly making me busy, why is that?

By Dougie on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 01:06 pm:

Oh man, talk about a hanging curveball...

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 06:49 pm:

I just ripped out a fist fulla nose hair.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 06:50 pm:

All whilst taking the biggest shit of my adult life.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 06:51 pm:

OK, I lied about the second bit.

By jaq on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 07:37 pm:

the solution is obvious: quit your job and get a
    job at the dmv

maybe avoid mirrors for a while, too

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 01:39 am:

Jaq: Kiss My Ass!

By Dr. Strange on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 01:56 pm:

the title of pepper's biography of Jaq

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 02:19 pm:

how is that? Dr Strange.

By droopy on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 08:18 pm:

my depression are coming back.

last night i was filling the tires on my "work" wheelchair. i use one of those electric compressors about the size of a six-pack of beer with a built-in pressure gauge. one one of the tires - the right - the gauge started reading wonky. i thought maybe i had overfilled the tire. i honestly considered the idea of just letting some air out of the tire and starting from scratch. but, of course, i didn't.

the tire was fine the next morning, and i got to work on it. while at work, working on inventory, i hear this whusshshshshshshshshshshs! sound. maybe because of all the noise in the shop - music, people talking - it sounded like it was coming from someplace outside. i sounded like somebody was talking a hose to the sidewalk outside, which happens.

but eventually i put my hand on my right tire. flat as pancake. i started looking around for a can of fix-a-flat that i had once hidden away there for just such an occasion. it was nowhere to be found. one of my shopmates, cindy, volunteered to go to the hardware store to get me a can. she did. unfortunately, the thing you press to get it going locked and it blew up on me. fix-a-flat foam went everywhere, filling the store with a chemical smell.

i said "fuck it, i'm going home". the tire had been filled just enough that at least i wasn't going to do as much damage rolling on it. i caught the bus home. this time i took two buses to get me all the way to my apartment complex. on the way, i heard bits of a conversation from a couple across from me: "he sells dope, you know...i couldn't believe it! he had a bag of MY shit!...look, i try to stay away from that shit - but if that motherfucker thinks he can fuck with me...he's everywhere [starts naming buses] no. 4, no. 7, no. 14, no. 2, 11!" it never occured to me that there might be a drug racket going on all over the bus lines. you'd think somebody would've offered me some.

i got home. a slow roll home. got into my other chair and took the flat tire off the other one. when i took the tire off and then removed the tube, fix-a-flat goop was everywhere. i threw out the tube (i keep others handy) and started wiping out the wheel: two or three passes with paper towels to get out the goop; the two our three passes with a wet sponge to try to clean it out; lastly, several passes with a close towel to dry it. despite this, the inside remains sticky. i want to put a new tube in, but i don't want it to get stuck into a bad position when it's aired up. i think what i might do is rub the inside of the tire with cornstarch. it'll be a long and messy process, but better safe than sorry.

i'm supposed to leave for new braunfels tomorrow morning. leave it to me to do this the day before. i'm glad i still had some wine in the house.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 01:21 am:

droopy, what kind of job are you working? I am curious? is it a warehouse? or is it a small business?

By Dougie on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 09:17 am:

Sorry to hear that droop. Nobody could've offered to give you a ride home???

By patrick on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 09:24 am:

thats a bitch droop.

i recently bought a bike and started biking to work 2-3 days a week. its been a decade since i've owned a bike and really almost two in any kind of serious matter.

its a nice ride. 6 miles one way if a drive to the beginning of the american tobacco trail...a converted rail line turned greenway. 8+ miles if i bike door to door. the two from my house to the trail are a bit of a bitch on surface streets. im still getting my bike legs so im just doing the releatively flat greenway.

i started thinking this morning that i really had no clue when it comes to maintenance. bikes are so much more complicated than bmx i had as a kid. that one id shop it up if something when wrong. there were no gears to mess with. only one brake cable.everything else was pie.

but now, if the back wheel went flat? wtf? how do I get the tire off with all those parts that make the gears shift? the front i could deal with, but the rest? fuck me.

clearly im needing to get some information.

Pepper droop works at a factory that makes those little russian dolls where you open it up and inside is a smaller version and so on and so forth.

By Spider on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 10:33 pm:

Patrick, I'm afraid you're mistaken -- that was Droopy's last job. Now he works at a factory that makes buttock implants and Christmas ornaments.

By platypus on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 10:44 pm:

He's not making cast iron squid and kangaroo hunting accessories any more? Man, I am so behind the times.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 02:08 am:

Patrick, I do remember riding the bike to work, My work is like 10 miles from my home, however, the first two days, at first day, the nut fell off and I wasn't able to pedal one of two pedal, cause the nut went missing and I tried to look everywhere. I had to walk to work and got this bike fixed, the next day, my tire (front) blew out and couldn't take anymore shit.
    Lol at spider.

By Antigone on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 01:23 pm:

What happened to the job where he picked noses on the
    docks for an offshore spent tampon disposal contractor?

By semillama on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 02:02 pm:

LOL -Pepper has only one nut!

By Spider on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 05:28 pm:

Antigone, that was after his job as a hole poker in a Cheerios factory. This was where he gained the nimble fingers necessary to be a second-party nose picker.

Honestly, you guys. Keep up!

By Danielssss on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 01:21 pm:

But that was before his unpaid missionary position for the homeless nose pickers and dock workers at the russian doll factory (adjacent said spent tampon barge company) where he inserted implants to buttocks of said dolls and made christmas ornaments (but only on his lunch hour with vodka and golden oreos) out of the recycled and retrieved by the tampon company's cast iron squid parts while moonlighting at the Kangaroo Hunting Accessory store (think Bass Pro except with the B higher and horizontal on said doll, which doll, what doll?) which sells exploding donuts to unsuspecting marsupials.

can't hold a candle to pepper's one nut. Are the russian dolls blow up dolls? C'mon, the plot folks.

boy, am I depressed now.

Made basil pesto all morning; shipping soap to Sem and some folks in San Fran today.

By moonit on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 07:31 pm:

mmm pesto. I am about to attempt to make these cheese rolls - they are retro kiwi food, I will try and take a photo of them for you guys... andrew has gone skiing so i am home alone this week - have four days off to hang with the puppies then work friday and have three days off.

By kazu on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 07:51 pm:

yay soap!

I'm making and freezing some pesto (sans cheese) tomorrow.

Too. Much. Basil.

By Antigone on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 09:00 pm:

Never. Enough. Basil.

By sarah on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 09:55 pm:

i made some pesto last week. you'd be surprised what a little lemon zest and a dash of table sugar will do to it.

By platypus on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 10:54 pm:

My Chinese mother has about six varieties of basil going on in her greenhouse. I am looking forward to pesto in my near future. And I'm with Antigone on this one: I am pretty sure it is physically impossible to have "too much basil."

By kazu on Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 12:00 am:

We have two varieties of basil, but neither is holy basil which is too bad. Next year, perhaps. I don't know what to do with the other kind (my landlord planted it). It has a really small leaf.

By Danielssss on Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 03:45 pm:

holy basil, known as kha phrao in the Thai language (¡Ðà¾ÃÒ), are commonly used in Thai food. [16] [17] Thai holy basil.

this is not the same as holy basil, which is something called tulsi, "not to be confused with sweet basil."

Hmmm. Holy basil is implicated in Hindu religious ceremony.

I have sweet basil and last year planted cinnamon basil, for which I had little taste and use. I used some sweet basil (Old jar of it from 1992, no longer good for taste and cooking, and no longer good medicinally) to flavor and spice up some kitchen sink soap which became antimicrobial but a little debris strewn...a good hand soap but not for the body. Lade the kitchen smell swell.

I have seen thai basil locally but it is never labelled as holy basil, which as I understand it, is not basil but a Hindu holy herb. ANy one know?

By droopy on Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 04:39 pm:

i'd never heard of tulsi/tulasi until now. however - while i was in austin this weekend, i wasn't too far from the barsana dham hindu temple and "community". i know they have gardens and orchards and serve food there. i bet they have tulsi. and if i were ever inspired to get some, that's where i'd go.

didn't have to much trouble with the tire. i did coat the inside of the wheel with cornstarch. it has held for the past four days.

saw my sister, brother-in-law, and niece sara helen, who is walking now and a bundle of non-stop energy. when she walks, especially when someone is holding her hand, she looks like a chimpanzee. my sister gave me a packet of fabulous flatbreads tandoori naan bread, which i definitely can't get in fort worth. she also gave me some mint leaves from her garden and the single, sad tomato that grew from her tomato vines.

By patrick on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 10:38 am:

harvested my first ever homegrown swiss chard yesterday. made a pasta dish involving feta, farfalle, ceci peas and lemon.

is it possible to make pesto without regiano?

By kazu on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 11:09 am:

Yes. I'm not eating dairy so my pesto was basically: basil, pine nuts, olive oil, and a ton of garlic.

I tossed some with pasta, white beans, and roasted grape tomatoes and zucchini.

By Danielsssso on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 11:34 am:

you can experiment with different kinds of nuts. Last batch was without entirely, heavy on cheese.

By kazu on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 11:40 am:

I really, really wish I could eat cheese right now.

The best grilled cheese sandwich I ever had was made with a little bit of pesto spread between the cheese and the bread. We wants it now.

By droopy on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 11:47 am:

i never put nuts of any kind in my homemade pesto. i find parmesan integral - it gives it some bite. but i have made cream cheese pesto. and adding blue cheese (or gorgonzola if you want to stay italian) to straight pesto or cream cheese pesto is pestorgasmic.

By droopy on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 11:48 am:

bleu cheese.

By kazu on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 11:51 am:

My pesto had plenty of bite thankyouverymuch.

When I'm back on dairy I'll be trying out the cream cheese and gorgonzola as that sounds fantastic.

By droopy on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 12:09 pm:

well, a particular kind of bite. a cheese bite.

patrick's swiss chard brought up italian memories for me. not in italy, but in rhode island. my grandmother lived next door to two generations of an italian immigrant family. the grandfather had a huge garden and one of the things he grew was the chard. i've never eaten swiss chard from any other source.

By patrick on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 03:45 pm:

chard fucking rules. toss with olive oil, garlic and a dash of lemon. you're good too go.

here's a trick for you pesto freaks. instead of minsing garlic, pound it into a paste with a mortar and pestle before you put it in the blender. The stereotypical italian grandma of a chef at an italian joint LA told my woman that trick sometime ago. it enhances the garlic flavor surprisingly and considerably.

By Danielssss on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 04:00 pm:

best way to make pesto is lovingly by hand in a stone metate. takes some time, but makes a good party activity. blender or processor just is quick and leaves the spirit of the herb out in a stainless steel morgue. like dying in the arms of a loved one versus on a steel table under a bright blinding light.

plus Patrick is correct: the spirit of the garlic comes through.

By platypus on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 04:13 pm:

Kazu, why can't you eat cheese? I think I would cry pretty much continuously if I was deprived of cheese at this point, despite my years as a silly vegan.

I'm with Daniel on the mortar and pestle situation; it's kind of a pain in the ass, but it really blends the pesto ingredients superbly and allows all of them to shine (including the garlic). I don't really use blenders/food processors as a general rule anyway, although I have been thinking about acquiring one for smoothies.

I fucking love Swiss chard. Any chard. Leafy greens. Bring it.

By droopy on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 04:13 pm:

i have a 1-pint mortar and pestle that i had bought from a science equipment place. i used to to the whole batch of pesto in it. at the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome.

By kazu on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 05:28 pm:

The wee lad has a bit of reflux so I gave up dairy to see if it helps.

By J on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 01:01 am:

My Kaylie Mae had reflux,she had an operation when she was two and it potty trained her and made her better.Are you talking about the reflux when their kidneys don't work right?

By kazu on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 09:34 am:

No. I'm talking about when his food/liquid doesn't stay in his stomach.

We use our immersion blender for smoothies. Is my favorite kitchen appliance.

By Spider on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 01:20 pm:

I'm obsessed with Brussels sprouts. We've had a sort of love-hate relationship over the course of my life, and right now I am in a Love phase and could eat half a pound in one sitting. I just cut them in half, boil (blanch?) them in a sautee pan for a little bit (until bright green and only slightly soft), dress them with a little olive oil and salt, and go to town.

Or even better: sautee them in bacon fat with shallots or leeks. And then eat them with bacon. Oh God. But that's a special treat.

By kazu on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 02:00 pm:

I love Brussels sprouts.

By droopy on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 02:05 pm:

love them sprouts, too. i usually just steam them. i don't like butter much, but i remember my mother buttered sprouts and put parmesan over them. i remember having stuffed sprouts. ground pork, i think it was. at least one batch had bleu cheese in it. a lot of work, but worth a try.

By sarah on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 03:34 pm:

i like to soak my brussels sprouts in heavily salted ice water for about 30-60 minutes before cooking. then cook with butter, lemon, salt, pepper.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 06:23 pm:

what does the ice water do? had some of the little gren globes this weekend myself. Boiled then dressed with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, black pepper. yum.

has anyone read Still Life wit Woodpecker? I am finally getting around to that.

By platypus on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 06:51 pm:

I do the bacon/sprout thing too, Spider, and it is fabulous. I also like to roast Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, pepper, and sweet onions. I love that caramelized note they acquire during the roasting process.

Salted ice water...makes them less bitter? Drowns bugs?

By kazu on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 09:04 pm:

Roasted grape tomatoes are my new favorite thing.

By semillama on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 09:14 pm:

My son may look like my wife but he takes after me in that he loves the Venture Brothers.

Sorry, that has nothing to do with sprouts.

By kazu on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 09:20 pm:

STOP MELTING HIS BRAIN

By platypus on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 10:52 pm:

Roasted grape tomatoes? I am suddenly very intrigued. Just...roasted? In the oven? Any tips/recommendations?

I'm making banana bread and watching "Six Feet Under" at this very moment.

I'm glad to hear that your son has good taste, Sem.

By kazu on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 12:15 am:

Toss them in some olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast them at 450 for 12 minutes.

By J on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 01:00 am:

Sem from what I remember your baby boy looked just like you to me and he's a living doll.I love sauteed grape tomatoes and couscous,it's a good thing.

By droopy on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 01:09 am:

i do this semi-pickled cucumbers and onions thing where you're supposed to brine the cukes - soak them in iced saltwater. this is what it says in my 1963 'joy of cooking': "its purpose is to draw the natural sugars and moisture from foods and form lactic acids with protect them against spoilage bacteria." sarah may be doing it for completely different reasons.

By droopy on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 01:11 am:

do any of you have favorite ways of preparing squash? any kind.

By platypus on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 10:14 am:

Winter squash or summer squash?

In the winter squash world, I like to slice acorn squash (and other types) in half, stick it in a pan with about a half inch of water, and bake it at 450 until the squash feels pretty soft when poked with a fork. Then I flip it over (the water is usually gone at this point), drizzle some salt, cracked pepper, and oil on it, and roast it a little longer so it gets all caramelized and awesome. Sometimes I put a little goat cheese on there too. Or butter.

By kazu on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 10:28 am:

Ian is looking more like me these days.

Or so I've been told.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 11:24 am:

my new favorite food. gooseberries.

By Hungry danssss on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 03:42 pm:

brine does that for pickles yes, but I'd not heard of it for Brussels Sprouts.

As for squash: acorn: cut in half, remove seeds, add maple syrup and sugar and a dash of your choice of sweet herb (nutmeg, cinnamon, etc,) to cavity; bake moderate oven (and I leave until the skin is a very dark brown or black)

summer: slice diagonally and simmer uncovered in a sauce of butter, cilantro (or any flavor you want), and white pepper in slow oven until sauce is gone (best in a wood stove)

spagheti squash: split, remove seeds, dot with butter or not, garlic or not, and nuke till fork ready; or moderate oven about an hour cavity down (unlike the other squashes above where the cavity holds a liquid) serve under creme, butter and herbs sauce of any sort with lots of garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, and ...

By Danielssss on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 03:48 pm:

okay I confess I only use the microwave to muke coffee if it gets cold, and rarely if ever for preparing food. Scrambles all the nutrients. I don't even use it for heating water these days. But I do recall several times nuking spaghetti squash...it just is so ...quick...destructive of the fiberous strands, leaving a homogenous veggie, all irradiated and whatnot.

Since getting a double over I heat the house up and waste electricity doing potatoes, when I should be using a toaster oven.

By sarah on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 01:03 am:

the salted ice water actually draws out and removes most of whatever makes brussel sprouts bitter. which i suppose makes it seem like it's adding sweetness, but it's not really adding anything. you can do the same with other bitterish veggies, like asparagus.

acorn or butternut squash - butter and honey, salt and pepper, nuke it for 7 or so minutes. it's not really a recipe, but it's still super yummy.

roasted grape tomatoes - spread on toast points and dot with dill and some grated cheese.

toast points, i said.

By platypus on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 11:00 am:

Toast point! Oh my lordy.

I made a pretty kickass summer quiche last night. Even though it had mushrooms, which are not technically very summery.

By semillama on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 12:52 pm:

When Ian grows up, he's going to be Brock Sampson.

By sarah on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 05:58 pm:

i think i have finally perfected my ultimate oatmeal cookie. they are very soft and chewy, so if you like the crunchier type of cookie this isn't for you.

1/2 cup soft unsalted butter
    2-3 tablespoons (or so) cream cheese
    3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon light corn syrup
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons regular flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 2/3 cups rolled oats
    2/3 cup raisins
    1/2 cup pecans very finely chopped

after you make the batter in the usual cookie dough way, scoop heaping tablespoons of the cookie dough onto the baking sheets lined with parchment or wax paper. then cover w/ plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

bake on the center rack for 11-13 minutes at 350 degrees.

By Danielssss on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 07:03 pm:

cookie better than toast points any day.

By droopy on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 08:06 pm:

thank you for the squash recipes. and the cookie recipe.

i'm starting to prefer cold coffee to hot. even at room temperature.

i'd like to buy a handcycle. either that or a burro.

By wisper on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 01:48 am:

Brock Sampson?! That Swedish death machine? Oh GOD. Don't even tell me what he did to him. Poor Speedy, and he was so close to earning his wings...

By The Watcher on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 01:29 am:

Dr. Pepper, see your doctor about your depression!! It can be treated. The success of the treatment will depend on the source. But, do get checked out. Richard Jeni killed himself 75 days after being diagnost - his meds didn't even have a chance to really have any effect.

My depression just seems to get worse. Which is one reason you hardly ever see me here anymore. But, I know the source, and it will never go away or get better.

Brussels Sprouts have never liked me. They refuse to stay in my stomach.

By heather on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 04:03 am:

"it will never go away or get better"

words straight from depression himself. two thoughts later i can't tell the difference between depression and realism. maybe we have to be crazy not to be depressed. not a viewpoint that is easy to live with. i ramble. i am not depressed. i doubt i am sane. all that there is is choice.

i <3 wisper

By Danielssss on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 01:44 pm:

As the famous words on the back of the Camel pack says, CHOICE. (Tom Robbins, Still Life with Woodpecker)

I made some great peach jam on SUnday, and Heather, it cures depression. P

Peaches 6 without pits and cut into small pieces
    6 tbsl brown sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp allspice

cook over low heat for hours until reduced. I do not add water but some recipes (the Ball canning book) call for it. My peaches are juicy enough. And I use a potato masher to stir and smash.

Really quite antidepressive. Likely the sugar.

Realism was like, uh, impressionism through clear glasses.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 01:47 pm:

Danielssss, I will try that method... and I will see what will happens next. You could send that recipes to: New England journal of medicines. Alot of peoples like me always read the articles of New Englands journal of medicnes doing alot of research to keep our health and lives better.
    P.S. don't use morphine unless you lives are in terminal illiness in which no other medicine can helps you.

By Antigone on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 02:18 pm:

heather, some delusion is useful.

By droopy on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 03:24 pm:

it's delightful, it's delicious, it's delectable, it's delirious,
    it's dilemma, it's de-limit, it's deluxe, it's de-lovely...
    it's delusion.

i think the parker county peach festival was this month.

By Danielssss on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 03:46 pm:

peaches are nearly expired here in the great midwaste.

By blindswine on Friday, July 31, 2009 - 09:18 am:

By sarah on Friday, July 31, 2009 - 11:51 am:

i made a salad the other night that included orange bell peppers, thinly sliced nectarine halves, and plain ol soft goat cheese crumbled on top.

it was outtasight.

can't wait to hear about the goat curry experiment. those recipes look awesome.

By Danielssss on Sunday, August 2, 2009 - 11:49 am:

had thai garlic sauce and chicken and black mushrooms friday night, and then vietnamese egg roll, spring roll, rice pancake with chicken shrimp pork and etc, then a place of hot pot seafood including mussels, shrimp, calamari, and other fish flesh.

By Spider on Monday, October 5, 2009 - 10:31 pm:

Thanks, Patrick and Platypus, for inspiring me to give swiss chard a try. It is my new favorite vegetable, and it's ridiculously full of vitamins. Apparently, it's one of the most vitamin-rich vegetable out there, and it's full of fiber, too.

And the stalks are kind of sweet...yum.

I was cured of my Brussels sprouts mania when I bought them not from the usual Trader Joe's but from two different grocery stores, and both times I discovered little grey bugs nestled among the leaves. Ecch.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, October 6, 2009 - 11:35 am:

Extra protein.

By patrick on Thursday, October 8, 2009 - 10:25 am:

its very easy to grow too.

unsolicited swiss chard pasta recipe:

flavor some olive oil (enough to coat the chard) with garlic
    tear a whole bunch of chard leaves and mince some of the stalk.

when oil is hot and garlic is golden, add chard

sautee a good 10-15 min until totally wilted.

add a cup or so of ceci peas

cook for another few min

add feta

cook for a few more min

squeeze some lemon

toss with farfalle

fucking pasta/chard bliss

By platypus on Thursday, October 8, 2009 - 10:51 am:

The solution to that brussels sprout problem? Soak in ice cold salt water for 15 minutes before use. I don't actually know how important the temperature is. But that's how I do it.

That chard recipe sounds grubbin'.

Bounty from the garden is pretty much over...let the grim winter months begin!

By sarah on Thursday, October 8, 2009 - 02:05 pm:

the ice water thing works for asparagus and cauliflower too. the longer you soak the better.

By Spider on Thursday, October 8, 2009 - 05:33 pm:

Do the little bugs float to the top?

I had some swiss chard the other night that was so full of sand I couldn't eat it. I thought I had rinsed it well, but...I guess not. So disappointing.

That sounds like great pasta.

I went apple picking yesterday, and I got the best blueberry butter at the orchard, oh my God. I could eat the whole jar with a spoon. I had a peanut butter and blueberry butter sandwich and it was like dessert.

Now I have all these apples and am forced to confront my fear of pie crust failure.

By Danielssss on Thursday, October 8, 2009 - 06:46 pm:

sounds like it is a core issue....

By sarah on Friday, October 9, 2009 - 01:53 pm:

i thought it was just fear of pie crust itself, the sticky hands factor?

are you saying now it's fear of pie crust failure? that i can help you through.

By Spider on Friday, October 9, 2009 - 03:05 pm:

Thank you, Sarah!

It's really the failure that's bothering me. The sticky hands I can just wash off, but the thought of wasting time, money, and food and being disappointed with the results is what's keeping me from trying.

That, and I've found, like, a dozen different pie crust recipes and I don't know which one to choose.

I'd love any guidance you can give me. :)

By Spider on Friday, October 9, 2009 - 03:06 pm:

PS. I don't have any shortening or lard on hand, just butter.

By Spider on Friday, October 9, 2009 - 03:23 pm:

PPS. I was thinking of making this apple tart, or something similar. What do you think of the dough recipe at the bottom?

Dough:
    1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, just softened, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
    3 1/2 tablespoons chilled water

MIX flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl; add 2 tablespoons of the butter. Blend in a mixer until dough resembles coarse cornmeal. Add remaining butter; mix until biggest pieces look like large peas.

DRIBBLE in water, stir, then dribble in more, until dough just holds together. Toss with hands, letting it fall through fingers, until it’s ropy with some dry patches. If dry patches predominate, add another tablespoon water. Keep tossing until you can roll dough into a ball. Flatten into a 4-inch-thick disk; refrigerate. After at least 30 minutes, remove; let soften so it’s malleable but still cold. Smooth cracks at edges. On a lightly floured surface, roll into a 14-inch circle about 1/8 inch thick. Dust excess flour from both sides with a dry pastry brush.

Doesn't sound too hard, but I'm nervous about the vagueness around how much water to use.

By Danielssss on Friday, October 9, 2009 - 03:47 pm:

pie crust failure has ledme to submit to the humiliation of purchased pie crusts more than once. I don't get em right no matter what.

I am envious of pie crust makers.

HEY? What about a PIE exchange?

By platypus on Friday, October 9, 2009 - 08:29 pm:

Oooh, soft butter? That's usually bad. I really like Julia Child's basic, very simple.

1.5 cups flour
    1 1/3 cups butter or shortening or blend
    1/3 cup cold water
    pinch of salt, pinch of sugar

Cut the butter into the flour, mix the salt and sugar with the water, pour in, work together. Keep your hands cold. Use the heel of your palm to push it against the mixing bowl a few times until it gloms into a mass.

What exactly has been going wrong with your pie crust?

By heather on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 06:24 am:

put flour, sugar and salt together.

cut in [fat solid, chilled] to flour mixture, to pea size like you said.

add water to small sections, smooshed in with a fork until it looks right - keep going until it's all a bit wetted.

smash gently into a ball and chill a small while.

ROLL OUT AND PIE IT BABY.

is not hard, i promise, been doing it since junior high.

By Spider on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 01:58 pm:

All right, so I'm going to use the crust recipe I posted, but I'm going to use Platy/Heather's directions. And since I don't have a dough cutter, I'm going to use a fork/knife/fingers/whatever works and hope for the best.

Since I'm here, let me talk about this morning's depression. I lost my job in the summer and a couple weeks ago I decided to visit my dad for a while. Slowly, slowly, his habit of finding fault with every last thing I do has worn on me and yesterday I was in a terrible mood. This morning, I could tell he was trying to cheer me up by being extra cheerful himself, but it didn't work. Because, listen to this aggravation.

Last week I made a bean soup that he loved. (LOVED, as in, he actually said the words, "This is excellent!" Exclamation point included. I have never heard him use these words in my life -- the highest praise he normally doles out is, "It's not bad.")

Anyway, so today, he asked me to make the bean soup again, which I did, but he ruined it by adding at least a quart of plain water to it (why???) and I can't get the flavor back no matter what I add.

I hope this is just PMS, but this makes me want to cry.

By sarah on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 03:04 pm:

in my opinion the best pie crust is when you use butter flavored crisco. the second best is margarine. either way, i take the fat and freeze it first, then cut it into the flour.

don't get too hung up about the pea size thing or the water thing. use just enough water to make it all come together and form a ball, the rest will take care of itself.

By sarah on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 04:20 pm:

one other thing i thought of, it's about rolling it out. use a ton of flour on the counter or board or whatever. i use to go sparse on that for fear it would dry out my dough, but the really the more flour you use to roll it out the better.

also, roll it out quickly, don't roll and re-roll, and don't worry if it's not even in thickness or roundness, it really will not matter for the end product.

By heather on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 11:37 pm:

seriously.

pie is so good.

damn.

want.

By droopy on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 12:57 am:

last week when i was making a pan of cornbread i started thinking that i make like to take up baking. i think i'd have to work up to pie. maybe cookies, or a cake. a couple of days ago i finally bought a bag of masa and attempted to make my own corn tortillas. i didn't buy the tortilla press. i tried everything from the traditional patting out in my hands to trying to form on a cutting board with my fingers. i also don't have a rolling ping. they all came out in irregular splat shapes. i cooked them anyway and put cheese and chicken on them. they were good; not as good as ones made by someone who actually has skills, but good. and it was nice to have the smell of masa wafting through the apartment.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 01:08 am:

heather, droopy, do you know what pie i loved the most? it is banana creme pie with crusted oreo inside......droopy, you could of asked either the mexican or native to help you with corn tortilla.. but you ought try to eat one of my best taco ever!

By Dr Pepper on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 01:16 am:

a friend of mine gave me a brownie ,not knowing he cooked with a cup and 3/4 of hemp, until i started feeling being high.. it happened at one of my old job, i was a little frightened when i happens to see my supervisor walked over to me and asked me what am i up to. that was a little scary experience i ever experienced.

By patrick on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 11:07 am:

wife-to-be makes the best crusts. i can't begin to tell you. all i
    know its butter. lots and lots of fucking butter. dont skimp on
    the butter.

she made a pear tart last week. we annihilated in two days.

funny pie story...
    first date she brought over cherry pie.

second date she brought over a fig pie.

the thing is, i can't stand most, if not all fruit pies. tarts are
    tolerable and doable. but with pies the textures of hot fruit wig
    me the fuck out in a serious way. Further, i just dont like most
    fruits. Figs gross me out six ways from sunday.

of course I wanted to get into her pants so i made through 3/4
    of a piece on the two dates.

it was only years later i asked myself what SHE was telling ME
    with those two particular selections. cherry? fig? wanna fuck?

spider, without knowing a god damn thing about baking....id
    trust julie child's recipe above anything else when having
    trouble.

By Spider on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 02:44 pm:

Well, I chickened out and made apple crisp instead.

But I'm going apple picking again this week and will be making a pie or tart with my bounty.

By Spider on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 02:47 pm:

Also, I done fucked up my left foot the other day and can barely walk. I think it's plantar fasciitis, so I've been icing and stretching it, but it's not getting better. My other foot is starting to hurt now from all the limping I've been doing. Soon I'll have to learn to walk on my hands.

By platypus on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 02:56 pm:

Apple crisp sounds pretty awesome too, to be fair.

By moonit on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 05:23 pm:

on valentines day this year I made Andrew Snickers Pie.

oh. my. god.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 10:52 am:

wtf is snickers pie?

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 02:14 am:

pie that snickers.... hee...hee...hee...

By moonit on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 04:04 pm:

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 01:33 am:

my daughter once made a peanut butter pie... unbelieveable!!!.... the oddest thing i ever ate!

By droopy on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 01:53 am:

i used to know a girl who made peanut butter pie. it was basically a large reese's peanut butter cup. it was great. but then, i love peanut butter.

By moonit on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 03:34 am:

I made peanut butter cookies the other day. yum.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 01:01 pm:

droopy, she didn't includes the chocolate, just the graham crust and applied the peanut butter, i don't know how she does that.

By Danielssss on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 03:55 pm:

I can't imagine that Spider would leave the chocolate out.

Moonit, did I miss the wedding or is it still upcoming?

By moonit on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 08:50 pm:

No you didnt miss it; but having bonuses removed; and then being put on 9 day fortnights with another 10% pay cut, meant something had to go.... and guess what it was.

we've been together 12 years; so whats a little more time...

By Dr Pepper on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 02:25 am:

i don't know if i can get married again.......

By Spider on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 03:30 pm:

Wait, what? I have never made a pie with chocolate.

But I am going to make a pear tart today and as God as my witness, I'm going to make that crust.

By Spider on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 05:24 pm:

I lied. I made a ricotta cheesecake instead.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 01:28 am:

what about .....limberger cheese pie.........
    a friend of mine put a small portion of limberger cheese in the A/C vent.... ewwww. stink like hell.

By Spider on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 11:55 am:

The ricotta cheesecake didn't really turn out. It only(?) had three eggs in it, but it tastes basically like a sweet omelet.

My surrogate grandma Rose used to make a ricotta cheesecake with a graham cracker crust that was really good. It was very light in flavor and texture, and it had a bit of a tang to it. I wonder if she used more sour cream. Maybe sour cream and unflavored gelatin instead of eggs?

By droopy on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 01:58 pm:

i have a recipe for what claims to be a new york style cheesecake.

mix one cup graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup melted butter and line the bottom of the pan

blend (like in a blender) 1 1/2 cups sour cream, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 eggs, and two tsps vanilla for a minute. then add 1 pound cream cheese broken into chunks. blend until smooth. at the end, add 2 tbsps melted butter. pour into the pan with the graham cracker crust.

bake in lower third of a 325 oven for 45 minutes. when the baking is done, take the c-cake out and turn the broiler on. broil the fake until spots of brown start to appear. refrigerate at least 4 hours.

i have never attempted to make it.

By Danielssss on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 05:29 pm:

For some reason, I moved a new double door refrig into my laundry room and unplugged the previous one. Then moved CJ's HE washer and dryer in yesterday.

The movers got the truck literally stuck between two tree limbs so I had to get me chainsaw and an extension ladder to cut the truck out of the trees. So much for living in the forest.

The conversation this morning turned to whether I wanted to keep the instruction manuals in the same place as I kept all my instructions. warranties, etc.

Wouldn't that be comingling too much???

At least we both like chocolate, and cheescake, and well pears, you want some pears, I've lots of pears. Hard as rocks and winter storage ready. No pear tarts here.

By Amistad daniel ssss on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 07:03 pm:

where the fuck is everyone?

By Danielssss on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 08:32 pm:

heather, your harvardedu email no longer works. if you want, give me your addy via silvercoachman at g mail dot com

thank you.

By sarah on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 11:04 pm:

where are you moving to?

By sarah on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 11:04 pm:

eggnog.

i haz it.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 01:45 am:

Hi everyone! i liked the regular cheesecake!

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 01:48 am:

oh,b.t.w., my brother's dog, general custer done damages to my sister's in law favorite recliner, he chewed and tore the fabric. it is not a pretty good sight but their granddaughter just spend her first overnight with her grandparent.

By heather on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 04:49 am:

it doesn't? it should. hmmm.

By heather on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 04:52 am:

i just tried it, it works fine.

maybe you have it wrong? i sent you another one anyway.

By Danielssss on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 02:40 pm:

got it thanks H. And s, I'm not moving rather the appliances moved in.

Just love dem HE washers.

Sorry about the outburst of profanity there.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 02:23 pm:

regarding cheesecake.

make it easy on yourself.

take the to the nearest trader joes frozen delights section. buy the
    blue box of goodness. take home. smile every time you open the
    fridge. talk too your cheesecake. say hello to it. let it know when
    you'll be back for it. cheesecakes get worried.

seriously....best god damn cheese.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 05:40 pm:

So I made the pear tart. (It's in the oven right now.)

I followed the Silver Palate's sweet crust recipe, which was something like (from memory):

1 2/3 c. flour
    1/4 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    10 TB butter
    2 egg yolks
    2 TB water

I had to add more water when the dough didn't come together. Maybe that ruined it, but if not, it wasn't that hard after all.

Then for the pears, I took 3 really ripe pears, peeled, cored and sliced fine. I tossed them in a mixture of 4 TB sugar, a bunch of cinnamon, less nutmeg, and maybe 1 tsp of fresh grated ginger.

I rolled the dough between wax paper into a circle, then arrayed the pear sliced in a nice armadillo pattern with the extras in the middle, and folded the dough around the edges. Then I squeezed a little lime juice over the pears, brushed milk on the dough, and sprinkled a little sugar around the edges.

Here's the thing: I wasn't following a recipe, so I don't really know how long to cook it and on what temperature. It's currently at 425, and I left it on the wax paper (on top of a pizza pan), so... I guess I'll just keep checking on it.

Fingers crossed.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 05:49 pm:

Also, I ran out of regular flour at about a cup, so I had to use 2/3 c. of cake flour in the crust. I hope this is all right.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 06:27 pm:

Oh, man, I just took it out of the oven and had a little sample of the crust -- it's good.

Then I stole a pear from the middle -- this is reeeaally good.

Make this. You will be happy.

Do you think it would be pear overkill to go get Haagen-Dazs caramelized pear and pecan ice cream to put on top?

By droopy on Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 12:59 am:

i may one day attempt to make cheesecake. until then, i will go to carshon's - the only jewish delicatessen in fort worth (since 1928).

By semillama on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 05:43 pm:

Well, you should probably still go to the jewish deli.

By droopy on Monday, October 26, 2009 - 12:43 am:

i always do.

made wild rice for dinner this evening. i used vegetable broth, beef bouillon, thyme, and garlic. i had with a garlic-impregnated pork chop.

and a beer. but just one.

By agatha on Monday, October 26, 2009 - 01:22 pm:

Cutting back on them alcohol, Droop? I hope so. I worry about you a lot lately.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 01:12 am:

agatha, just sent droopy to the A.A. or recovery wards.

By droopy on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 02:04 am:

pepper said to go to rehab
    i said no, no, no

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 12:55 pm:

Ok, that's alright, you don't have to, but we are concerned about you.

By agatha on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 12:22 pm:

Droop, you know what I mean. You've been sounding low. We need you round these parts as our resident bard/philosopher.

By sarah on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 11:41 pm:

i made that chain letter amish friendship bread tonight. one of senor's colleagues makes it and brings it in to work periodically, and this last time apparently he left starters for people to take home.

senor knowing how much i enjoy baking brought me a bag of starter so i thought why the hell not? the real hook for me was that the recipe calls for the addition of a large box of vanilla pudding.

you are about to learn something new about me: i love box pudding. don't tell the others.

the amish bread, it calls for a tremendous amount of sugar. so much sugar that i will not offer even a taste to my two year old. however, senor has a powerful sweet tooth, so at the very least he will enjoy it. i made one cake style and one loaf style. they just came out of the oven. i don't think i could eat it myself, but it smells really good, like cinnamon buns.

By J on Friday, October 30, 2009 - 01:58 am:

"We need you round these parts as our resident bard/philosopher".
    And your quick wit:)

By platypus on Friday, October 30, 2009 - 10:50 am:

Ugh, that bread has been making the rounds around here for a few years now. I can't stand it. I think I'd rather eat pure sugar, honestly.

One of my friends calls it "enemy bread" because taking care of the starter and finding new victims is such a pain.

By sarah on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 03:34 pm:

seriously what IS IT with the nasty bleu-style cheese on all salads these days? restaurant salads, deli salads, to go salads... covered in bottom of the barrel bleu. gah. i'm over it.

By spunky on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 04:16 pm:

Isn't that where all bleu cheese is from? the bottom of a barrel?

By Spider on Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 12:34 pm:

They took the cat. :~(

Yesterday was her last day here. This morning I woke up to a catless house.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 01:34 pm:

I am sorry about that. maybe, you might want to adopt a kitten from a pet store?

By Spider on Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 05:33 pm:

By platypus on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 05:26 pm:

Go visit cats! If one of them is meant to live with you, you'll know.

Also, that video is cuteness incarnate.

By Ms. Pepper on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 08:19 pm:

I have always wanted a sheep dog.

By blindswine on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 06:35 am:

perhaps stealing the cat is the right thing to do.

fuck the law.

think of the greater good.

By Spider on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 10:48 am:

Well...

They sent me a picture of her in her new apartment, sitting on her favorite bathmat (I gave this to them to ease her transition) in her new window.

Look at this face

She's apparently doing very well: she only hid under the bed for one day and now is out and about. It took her over 3 months to come out of her closet in my house, and up till the day she left (10 months with me), she would run away from me if I walked up to her. She was only affectionate between 10 pm and 6:30 am. Maybe this is for the best.

My dad told me a friend of his is looking to re-home her black cat, Carmen -- he's met this cat and says she's very sweet and affectionate, so I'm going to visit her this weekend and see how we get along.

What have I become? I'm a dog person, I swear.

By semillama on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 04:15 pm:

Get a cat.

I just found out my 12-year-old big fluffy friendly kitty has lymphoma, so I am feeling particularly pro-cat (moreso than usual). My wife wants to have no more cats after Space Ghost goes, but I can't even fathom not having a cat in the house. I thought going down to one was a decent compromise.

By platypus on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 05:09 pm:

Oh, sem. I'm so sorry. Lymphoma is balls. I had to go through that with Shadow a couple of years ago and it was awful.

By Spider on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 05:29 pm:

I'm sorry to hear that, Sem. Space Ghost is an awesome name for a cat.

Today I was talking to someone about the medieval concept of Fortune, and I found myself explaining it thusly: "One day you're high on the hog, the next you're shanked in the night." And then I thought, "Where have I heard that before?"

"it's all porkchops and razorblades. one minute-- high on the hog. the next-- shanked in the night."
    -- By blindswine on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 03:34 pm

You triggered a subliminal tripwire when you showed up this morning.

By sarah on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 12:42 pm:

sorry to hear about your cat, Sem.

we adopted a 5 month old calico cat last month
    from the kill shelter. she was surrendered by her
    previous humans due to allergies. she's already
    been spayed, and they de-clawed her.

she is the best cat ever. i'm not exaggerating.

her name is Snowball Kiki Kittox Babowskers. also
    know as The Kitty.

she is so chill. she lets the girls carry her
    around, make her dance, dress her up. she rarely
    runs away from them. always happy to sit in a
    lap. always happy and relaxed. playful. naps in a
    basket the girls found in the garage. sleeps on
    our bed and night and doesn't walk around on us in
    the morning when she wakes up.

it only took her a week to establish a good
    relationship with the dogs. lulu and she are
    friends. leroy basically ignores her. they let
    her sleep in their beds. and she's figured out
    how to get into the back yard through the dog
    door. we tried to put a baby gate up between the
    kitchen and the utility room to keep her from
    accessing the dog door, but she pushed it over.
    then we blocked it with our recycling bin (heavy)
    and she knocked it over again.

we realize that a declawed cat should not be
    outside, but she never attempts to leave the back
    yard, and she's useful at keeping the asshole
    grackles from eating my figs (FIGS!) and pecking
    at my lemons.

and now i've missed my yoga class.

By Antigone on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 08:29 pm:

If anything my old cat Max kicked more ass after he was declawed
    than before. That cat could bite a motherfucker.

By Spider on Monday, July 22, 2013 - 10:39 am:

So I met with my dad's friend and I'm not going to take her cat, but she is taking me to the shelter in Wilmington, DE, this Saturday to look at the cats there (I guess she knows the owner).

She's kind of a crazy person, and she's left three messages on my answering machine to look at the shelter's website for these two brother orange cats who were bottlefed, so they'd be sweet. But I don't want to be pushed into getting those two cats. I saw this cat, Wallace, on the site and fell in love with his face.

Not gonna lie, it would never get old coming home from work every day and calling, "Where's Wallace? WHERE'S WALLACE?"

By sarah on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 11:00 am:

Deleware?

Spider, where are you living now? I guess I forgot.

By Spider on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 11:25 am:

I'm back in my home town in PA. Wilmington's about 45 minutes away.

How are you doing, Sarah?

By Spider on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 11:33 am:

(BTW, appropos to the thread topic, I'm getting tested for Attention Deficit Disorder next month. My long-lasting inability to pay attention either to work or play, my inability to follow through on stuff, my extreme scatterbrainedness, my feelings of being overwhelmed all the goddamn time, my tuning out in the middle of conversations, etc etc....they're either symptoms of ADD or depression, and I've finally taken the initiative to figure out which one it is. Finally.)

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 03:07 pm:

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 03:11 pm:

Christ, I fuckin' hate the url munging.

link

link

By Spider on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 03:45 pm:

Thanks for the links -- I had my annual blood panels done a couple of weeks ago, and my magnesium levels are normal (the standard range is 1.5 - 2.5, and my levels were 2.0). The only deficiency I have is Vitamin D, which I'm now taking supplements for.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 11:04 pm:

The serum magnesium test is basically
    useless. :)

By The Watcher on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 02:14 am:

Sem, sorry about your cat.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 02:18 am:

Spider,

Very cute cat. Having had cats, and dogs, all my life I have only one piece of advice.

If you can find a shelter that keeps there cats and kittens in a common room, instead of cages, go there. Then sit in the middle of the room and let the cat/kitten choose you.

If this happens you will be owned by the cat and be very happy.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact