where is this water coming from?

sorabji.com: I need advice: where is this water coming from?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 11:52 am:

elsewhere i mentioned that, after doing a load of laundry, i discovered that the carpeting in the adjacent room became wet. well, last night before i went to bed i turned on the dishwasher. when i got up this morning there was a big puddle of water in the middle of my kichen. i have experienced this before, but usually only a little - maybe a cup or so. but this was a big-ass puddle i had to use a mop to get up.

the simplest answer is that the water came directly from the diswasher and, due to the shape of the floor, it happened to center itself in the middle of the floor and whatever trail there might have been had evaporated.

but i'm wondering if there's another possibility: that the water is coming from under the floor, somehow. from pipes in the subflooring that leak or something. there's some evidence for this in the kitchen. i had new floor tiles put in kitchen within a year ago. now they're pulling up and shifting around as if something (like water) is compromising the glue or whatever that holds them on. i had the same tiles put in the bathroom and they're just fine.

has anyone ever heard of anything even remotely like this? i know if i call the front office with this they'll just think i'm crazy. the only choice i have with them is to keep running these appliances until there's so much damage they have to do something.

By Dougie on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 02:43 pm:

Hi Droopy, I had to replace a dishwasher recently. It was old and didn't work very well, so we didn't go to the expense of getting it fixed. It had started leaking on each use. Sometimes a drenching puddle, sometimes just a few drops. Seems that gaskets were probably shot. It was always from below the machine, never through the door or anything. Checked all the connections -- they were fine. Also, in terms of tile, are they ceramic, or linoleum? You mention glue -- that'd probably be linoleum. Ceramic tiles go down with mud. Could be a leak in a pipe in your floor, but that would probably travel downward, not upward. Could it be from the dishwasher leaking somehow?

By droopy on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 03:50 pm:

thin linoleum sheets that have, in places, curled up. they were put in after i had them come in and replace a gasket in my toilet, which they had to rip up the linoleum to do. they threw in new kitchen lino. there is just a tiny bit of curling under the dishwasher - just a little bulge if you bother to feel for it. but not the huge half-pipe curls there are in places as far as across the room. and the tiles under the dishwasher aren't slightly shifted the way they are in the middle of the room.

normally i'd just chalk it up to a valve or a gasket and just let maintenance take care of it. if they couldn't find a leak, they'd just take out the washer and replace it with one from an empty apartment. but the weird flooding of an adjacent room after doing laundry and the fact they found no leak in my washing machine makes me wonder if something "deep inside" somewhere isn't going wrong.

i'm just trying to figure out how to play this. the bigger problem is the washing machine and whether this is all going to a big to-do eventually - like my having to find other accomodations for a while they take up my carpet or rip up walls. then next time i have an utterly free day on a weekday, i'll do laundry and try see if the flooding happens again. then at least i can have someone from the office see it and let them deal with it.

by the way, the plumbing these apartments are notoriously problematic. i've had other members i met for the first time launch into similar stories.

By droopy on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 03:51 pm:

not members. what's the word? tenants.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 07:19 pm:

likely a pipe in the walls somewhere is leaking and ending up in your habitable space. May be not even a pipe you use.

In CJ's new condo her bath tub had a hair line crack in it and everytime she used it water seeped slowly into the condo below hers. Took months to find the source.

If you are on ground floor, is your floor cement with vinyl tile over? Could be the ambient moisture from the cement, rather the ground below, seeping through causing the curl, or cd b bad cement.

By heather on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 10:15 am:

i was going to ask about the concrete floor as well

maybe it's just cthulhu getting your place ready for a nice visit :P

By Danielssss on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 02:20 pm:

it's the ophicators

By droopy on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 02:41 pm:

actually, vinyl sounds right. the floors are vinyl.

woke up this morning to a musty smell coming from the carpet. honestly, nowhere i live - alone - is exactly known for its fresh scent. but this was new to my nostrils.

i might have a concrete floor. i'm on the ground floor. my apartment is actually a house sectioned into a triplex.

i'm not that worked up about it anymore. but i kind of want another flooding incident to happen again just on principle - at least to show i'm not crazy.

By agatha on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 04:12 pm:

Droop, I hope you've notified your landlords. You shouldn't have to live in that. You could have mold issues soon enough, which are horrible.

By heather on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 04:52 pm:

...and could be damaging to your health.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 08:46 pm:

My first apartment in Columbus was a sub-ground floor place, and soon after I moved in, I got hit with allergies that I hadn't had since I was a teenager. I later found out why - when the sewer outside got overloaded, it backed up through the sump near the hot water hospital.

Nastiest living conditions I ever had.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 10:30 am:

humidity is what it makes carpet musky smell.. i keeps my room cool and dry, also a humidifier too.

By Antigone on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 08:44 pm:

d00d, those weren't allergies. That was cholera.

By Danielssss on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 09:18 pm:

hey droop if it's too deep do you have pontoons? seriously hope that you can get the px diagnosed and fixed. Nothing worse than wet stuff.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 01:23 am:

px?

By droopy on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 03:27 pm:

last thursday i noticed a white, unmarked van parked in front of the house/apartments next to mine. a guy ran a long hose from the van into the apartment (through the front door) and turned on a motor in inside the van. it looked suspiciously like one of things they use to drain water out of someplace that has flooded. i never asked.

i really had to a load of laundry, so i got up early on friday and put a load in. it went though the entire wash cycle and there was no flooding our any kind of leaking. i left to take care of a little business and meet up with my mother who was in town for the day. she had just come back from marfa, texas where she had been staying at a ranch in a room next door to randy and evi quaid. it turns out that the quaids, particurlarly evi, are a bit insane. at least according to people who live in marfa. there was some story about evi quaid painting a door yellow and nailing crossed shovels on it as a "no trespassers" sign. but i'm not sure i can remember all the details.

anyway, i got back to my place and there was still no water. i don't know what the hell to say. either the problem's over or one day my lung will be eaten away from mould spores and my floor will collapse from water damage.

By heather on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 09:58 pm:

/me leaves to get yellow paint and a couple of shovels

By on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 11:04 pm:

heather, don't even think about killing me, just do it on mark thomas!

By on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 11:05 pm:

heather, don't even think about killing me, just do it on mark thomas!

By heather on Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 05:00 pm:

killing who? what? do what on mark thomas?

By droopy on Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 05:22 pm:

huh. it just no occured to me what the symbolism of shovels nailed to the door might be: we'll use these to dig your grave. it still doesn't explain why the door should be yellow.

By droopy on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 10:52 pm:

tomorrow i'm traveling to south texas where i'll meet up with my father, stepmother, and half-brother. this evening i did laundry. i did two loads. there was flooding. tomorrow, before i leave, i'll call the office and have them send someone over to deal with it. i'll start a load in the diswasher so my kitchen will be flooded too. i'm just worried that, when i get home on sunday or monday, my apartment will be habitable.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, September 11, 2009 - 01:41 am:

so much damage to the apartment deemed to be INHABITABLE!

By semillama on Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 10:22 am:

Classic!

By la on Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 06:09 pm:

we had flooding in the basement a couple weeks ago, freaked out 'cause the next door neighbors were getting sewer work done.

called the landlord, he had a flushing attachment for a hose and had it unplugged in 10 minutes flat.

hooray for easily solved catastrophes!

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 07:09 pm:

hip hip hooray for a landlord who responds to your call!

By la on Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 12:29 am:

according to my downstairs housemate he's a benevolent slumlord.

doesn't do much to the house, doesn't care what we do (within reason) but takes care of the important things pretty quick.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 11:37 am:

It is the $$$ that the landlord wants real quick. but don't give a damn things about the tenants.

By droopy on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 11:55 pm:

friday i called the front office first thing in the morning. the office closes in the afternoon on fridays. jose showed up at around 10:30. i showed him my wet carpet in the bedroom and the water coming up from my kitchen floor. he pulled my washing machine out and put in a new one. then he did the same with my dishwasher. by the time he was finishing that up i had to get on the road. he said he would get some guys to come over and do something about the carpet in my bedroom.

when i got home this afternoon there was a big "hurricane pro" blower in my bedroom. the had pulled out the dresser where the wet spot was and aimed the blower at it. i noticed later that they must have pulled up the carpet at the spot and cleaned out the underside. i called the office to see if i could get somebody to put my dresser back. jose and another guy came over and put the dresser back, but left the blower in my bedroom. they say the carpet people will be back to finish the job, but i don't know when.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 02:23 am:

Mildew carpet is hazarous to your health so is the drywall.

By carpet people on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 03:05 pm:

yeah....we dont know either

By droopy on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 04:58 pm:

i called the front office and had them call the carpet people. they're supposed to be here around ten o'clock tomorrow morning. i think they just need to re-tack the carpet and take back their hurricane pro. i'm hoping this will be the end of it.

By carpet people on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 12:02 pm:

so are we.

By droopy people on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 12:14 pm:

carpet person got here (yesterday) at 11:45. it took him ten minutes to put the carpet back and put the blower in the van.

By carpet person on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 12:16 pm:

Im that good dude

By Jaq person jaq carpet on Friday, September 18, 2009 - 03:48 am:

droopy, enjoy your new carpet!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact