Should I actually SHOW UP to my 10-year reunion?

sorabji.com: I need advice: Should I actually SHOW UP to my 10-year reunion?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By la on Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 03:06 am:

It's also been just over 10 years I've been here. I found Sorabji on a radio-station website and started my internet career as a romantic little snot.

I graduated 10 years ago. It didn't mean much. My family was excited and I got presents and waited for hours with stomach pains in an arena to get my diploma. My dad said it was nerves, but it didn't stop and I had to go home from the all-night party with the flu.

But it didn't feel like an achievement, not really. I wasn't close to my classmates. I don't know if I can talk about things that matter to these people I barely spoke to in school and years later are worlds apart. How do I explain choosing to live without a car, starting a minibike dance troupe, building a five-foot-tall cardboard cake and bicycling with it down a busy street?

I don't know.

I can get there. I can even walk to the bar from the MAX. I don't have to drink if I don't want to.

But what's the point?

By J on Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 03:33 am:

To show them you're still a free spirit!

By ... on Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 11:35 pm:

I went to my 10-year HS reunion. It made no impression on me at the time but in retrospect I recall how few people I remembered, how few people remembered me, and how completely alienated I felt at that event. I don't regret going, it was not a big deal to have spent a couple of hours there and I had more or less planned to be in Florida at the time, but I should have detected early on that the event was organized by a certain clique from school, a group which maintains itself to this day, spamming Wikipedia articles about the school with hogwash about how everyone loves each other. Thus, the "reunion" was almost a closed affair for that segment of the class. Is this sort of thing a common characteristic of school reunions? I bet it is. The only substantive memory I have from that event was how, at the time, the Internet was becoming better known (it was 1996) and I had one conversation with a guy who felt it was going to change everything. That guy had sat next to me in alphabetical seating arrangements for all 4 years of high school whilst neither of us ever saying one word to each other. At the reunion we were bestest buddies, propheteering about the future of the Intertubes (last I heard he was selling tires). Beyond that, the reunion was a jock-fest circle jerk. The group which rallied around this reunion did not represent the class that I graduated from. I skipped the 20th reunion and will skip the rest, but more recently (5 or 6 months ago) there was an event in New York, a "regional reunion", the first of its kind in the history of the school, an event to which anyone in the tri-state area who went to the school was invited. The event was what I expected: A place for the rich and successful (two things I consider mutually exclusive) to come and show off their amazing lives, and at the end of the night it became a forum for the most financially successful graduates to be guilted by priests into donating shitloads of money. I went to this event because I wanted to know what happened to R., a kid who, like the aforementioned stranger, sat next to me in the alphabetical seating of life. But R. and I knew each other since the 3rd grade, and word of his death kind of messed with me when I heard of it, not because I was shocked to learn that people die (we do, we do) but because he had been an elusive figure in my life, someone I wish I had understood. I also went the regional event because I had a hot girlfriend at the time, and who doesn't want to face their fellow alumni with a hottie? Haha, OK, that's not really true, we just hadn't seen each other in a week and she was nice enough to come to what must have been an achingly boring couple of hours, and as I expected there were no alumni from my class or from any years around mine. I just wanted to know what happened to R. and to get some free cheese. la, I don't know your class or anyone in it but had I met someone at my 10-year who was doing anything as interesting or unusual as you I might have acted surprised and even uncomfortable at the time but I would still be talking about it today, and that would be a good thing, I think.

By J on Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 03:42 am:

You know how full of shit people are at those things.That's a ride I can't take!

By heather on Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 04:45 am:

I have not gone to any reunions. But I also did not go to prom or anything like that.

I used to hate everyone. I have recently developed an interest in people just as they are though, so it could be more fun now. I am okay with asking a disarming question, or walking away if someone insists on putting on a trite show.

There are cool things to find in people, if they will let you.

By ... on Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 11:29 am:

something else I remember about the 10-year event -- there was a registry/guestbook that attendees were asked to sign, with name, address, and any comments they had about the school, their lives, yadayada. I think copies were to be made of the book, though if copies were made I never got one. I read through the book while I was there. Most of the comments were platitudinous rah-rah stuff. there was one guy, though, who wrote "I just hope that those of you who cheated your way through school are not in any positions of responsibility now. I hope you cheaters are no doctors or lawyers or…" and it went on. It was a weirdly bitter sentiment to bring to such an event, and I imagined that the person who wrote it had been seething about this for years. I guess every class has those types who find ways to cheat. In our class there were these 3 or 4 guys shamelessly brazen about the crib notes and the cheat sheets and the hand signals during tests. They may as well have stood up and done smoke signals. Those guys always aced every test, it seemed, and everyone in the room knew what was going on with them but no one ever ratted them out. The only kid from that group who I know about today is living in some buttfuck town in middle America, but I don't know what he's doing there.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 03:43 pm:

Back in my
    HS days, my mom never wanted me to get along with those students at Jr and Sr high school, I was isolated incident guy.. sorry.

By sarah on Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 04:03 pm:

if the goal is to talk with people about things that matter to you, a high school reunion is not the place to go.

if they didn't matter to you then, it's hard to imagine how they would matter to you now.

if you go seeking perspective, i imagine that's about all you'll get out of it. but leave room to be pleasantly surprised, because you never know, it could turn out to be fun.

lastly

if you go, it doesn't mean you have to stay.

By la on Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 05:34 pm:

Last night. It was good -- not the official reunion, but a meet-up for those who can't afford/can't get the time off/didn't want to go to the $50 dinner at a golf course (what is it about my highschool and golf courses? The senior dinner was at one too, years ago). It wasn't the whole class. This was mostly drama geeks with a couple band nerds and people from other classes thrown in.

I wasn't the only one who biked. Though it was interesting talking to the fellow who also rode, for the split second we spoke. He said that riding a bike saved him from his coke addiction. Poor guy.

Mostly I hung out with a friend of mine from Writers' Guild and a fellow who graduated the year before who gave me a ride home. We talked on my doorstep for a long time before he agreed to come in (the cat kept trying to escape) and I finally had to tell him I was falling asleep even though I didn't want him to leave.

And it was awesome to see people I remembered, that I did actually talk to, in real life. It's so much better than via a screen.

By semillama on Monday, September 27, 2010 - 05:04 pm:

I had no interest in my 10-year reunion. I did want to go to my 20-year reunion, but we ended up hitting a little rough patch in our finances and couldn't afford to take the time off from our jobs to go (would've needed about a week, since it would also involve grandchild time for my parents). I'm not sure what changed between 2000 and 2010, but there you go. My best friends from my high school days all attended our rival school in the next town, anyway. Maybe if there's a 25 year reunion, I'll be able to make that one.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 01:28 am:

Never been to any reunion, I,for once felt, that I don't belong with them.

By la on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 11:54 am:

Most of my friends were in Youth Symphony, but they don't have many reunions for that.

Oh gosh. Flirt via text message for the last two days with Z (drove me home). We're going to see Queen of the Sun tonight.

Hope this isn't something to be tempted by. His wife left him two months ago and that's too much drama. Even if he's super nice and smart and tall (and when I saw him in the bar wondered who he was and wanted to know him) and likes Harold Ramis and Jeff Goldblum over Bill Murray.

We'll see how movie goes tonight.

By TBone on Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 11:39 pm:

Very interesting. But the wife having left so recently is a bit
    worrisome.

I skipped my 10 even though I was in town for other
    reasons. Had no interest, and didn't feel up to seeing some
    of the people I knew would be there. Maybe 20.

By la on Friday, October 1, 2010 - 01:05 am:

No movie. Google was wrong.

I have at least one disclaimer of my own, reserved for the next time I see him. I'm not sure exactly where this will lead, but the current trend is quite obvious.

The man is HOT. 6'5", heavily muscled with dimples. He speaks in funny voices and makes noises. He lifts my giant bikes like they're nothing. He's already volunteered to help me take feral cats to be spayed and to teach me to swim. He's smart. He reads comics and plays games. He's named the voice for his GPS app "Lucinda." He loses track of time when we're talking even though there's a watch on his wrist. He's accident prone and a carpenter.

And apparently if we hadn't turned out to be meeting up with the same group, we both would've attempted to seek the other out.

I don't know the story of his wife leaving him. I don't think it was sudden, because he's already tried to date at least two other women. But I'm planning on treading carefully, despite the infatuation. I've been hurt so many times already.

By Dr Beer on Friday, October 1, 2010 - 01:50 am:

I don't know if I can date with another woman......

By la on Sunday, October 3, 2010 - 12:34 pm:

We had "the talk" last night, after spending the day together.

I told him that I'm already involved with someone who's polyamorous and whom I don't see very much. Also that my being a student and something like an officer in the Bicycle Advocacy Collective means that those things come before any relationship I have.

He told me that he's definitely attracted, but because of his circumstances he's not able to enter a serious relationship.

By this time I was almost falling asleep, so it turned into silly talk and my telling him about trying not to be obvious about staring at his arms and that muscles make my brain turn off. He offered to lift the chair he was sitting on, then half a piano.

There was some confusion about hugging goodbye and then more text messaging.

Whoa.

By sarah on Sunday, October 3, 2010 - 10:32 pm:

whoa is right!

that is quite a situation you have there.

By la on Monday, October 4, 2010 - 01:57 am:

It's complicated!

By semillama on Monday, October 4, 2010 - 05:20 pm:

I want to know where the other half of the piano was.

By la on Monday, October 4, 2010 - 07:27 pm:

A whole piano, half invisible!

By Ha on Tuesday, October 5, 2010 - 02:07 am:

A friend of mine once asked me to sit next to him naked and play piano, I said forget it!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact