Fix my stereo

sorabji.com: What do you want to do today?: Fix my stereo
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rhiannon on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 04:38 pm:

A few nights ago I used the tape players to record a mix tape. No problems whatsoever. I turned the thing off and went to bed. No violence or anything harmful whatsoever occurred to the stereo, as far as I know.

The next morning, I went to rewind another tape, and the tape player makes a grinding sound. On *both* of the tape players, when you press Play, Rewind, and Fast Forward, it makes a strange grinding/whirring sound. It will rewind and fast forward still, but when you play a tape, the sound is all distorted and the machine eats the tape.

I thought maybe a belt had slipped, so I opened the thing up. The belts were fine. The whirring noise occurs even when you half-press the buttons. It seems to be related either to the turning of the wheels where the belts are, or to something (some big cylindrical metal piece) that is between them.

What I want to know is, how did this happen? What's wrong? How do I fix it? I really do not want to return the bloody thing (it's only a few months old and the warranty still holds) or take it somewhere to have it fixed. I just want it to get better.

Is there a stereo repairperson among us?

By Maytag man on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 04:43 pm:

throw it out the window.......

gotta dollar you can spare.......?

By Rhiannon on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 05:03 pm:

I did that to my last stereo. Actually, I threw it into a dumpster, but the gesture was the same.
    I would like to keep this one if possible.

By Nate on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 05:26 pm:

if you play with it you'll void the warranty.

By Patrick on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 05:33 pm:

i found a tag on my wife's ass that said the same thing. hmmm

By Rhiannon on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 05:37 pm:

Well, I didn't affect anything on the inside, I just opened it up and looked around.

You can tell from the screws that I've opened it up, though.

Damn.

By Isolde on Saturday, February 26, 2000 - 12:10 am:

Whoops. Should have thought that one through.
    Throw it out the window--but first, hit it a few times and check to see if that fixes it.

By Jina on Saturday, February 26, 2000 - 01:35 am:

Or just wait for a really bad day to come along. Get your nin cd and play March of the Pigs and slice some bread verrrrrrry slowwwllllly.

By Nate on Monday, February 28, 2000 - 10:55 am:

i fix many things by simply opening them up and screaming obscenity at them.

"rat fuck pile of fuck"

that's worked for me in the past.

By Slacker on Monday, February 28, 2000 - 11:48 pm:

the key to worry free stereo enjoyment is a little tlc and an occasional scrubbing on a rock down by the river, where cthulu's been seen living in a van.

By Isolde on Tuesday, February 29, 2000 - 12:22 am:

I find, actually, that my stereo equipment always works really well when someone in my house is getting some. I'm not sure I want to know why this is--perhaps it's just that there's another person or two in the house to take care of it?

By Slacker on Tuesday, February 29, 2000 - 01:10 am:

getting some what?

By Jina on Tuesday, February 29, 2000 - 06:13 pm:

Someone in your house?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact