Argh. Debbie Patterson does not live here.

sorabji.com: Are you stupid?: Argh. Debbie Patterson does not live here.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By moonit on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 10:38 pm:

hello?
    Hi is Debbie there please?
    Uh no you have the wrong number.
    Thats not Debbie Patterson?
    No. You have the Wrong Number.
    Oh I’m very sorry.
    Yeah. Bye.

Hello?
    Hi is that you Debbie or is it your daughter?
    What??
    Is that you Debbie?
    No.
    Can I speak to Debbie.
    There is no Debbie at this number.
    Is that *** ****?
    Yes.
    Well thats Debbies phone number!
    There is NO Debbie here.
    Do you live in ********* Street?
    Yes.
    Thats where Debbie lives.
    Look, there is no Debbie here, obviously she gave you the wrong number. Its just a coincidence we live in the same street.
    Oh Okay.
    Bye.
    Bye.

Hello?
    Hi, are you the person I was speaking with before.
    Yes, sigh.
    Look I’ve looked up Debbie in the phone book and its this number. How long have you lived there? What number ********* Street are you?
    I’m not going to tell you that.
    Well why not?
    Because you’re a complete stranger.
    Oh well okay then. Look do you think its a misprint in the phone book?
    No. I think you should ring 018 (new zealand directory) and see if you can get the correct number for her.
    Thats a good idea, thanks very much.
    Yeah. Whatever.
    Bye.

If that woman rings me back tonight I’m going to get very angry. I’m not in any way, shape or form related to stupid Debbie Patterson, and I’m sick of having conversations with stupid people who don’t listen or can’t imagine that perhaps Debbie Patterson changed her phone number to keep them away from her.

Grrrrrrrr.

By Jay on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 10:41 pm:

you should have pretended to be debbie. it could have been entertaining. you could have made up all kinds of crazy shit about debbie.

By moonit on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 10:44 pm:

I get calls for her all the time.

If it happens again I'll say 'uno momento' and get my mum to pretend to be Debbie.

Good plan - thanks Jay.

By Jay on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 10:52 pm:

say sorry about the trouble but she's been really careful about screening her calls since she entered the witness protection program.

By Isolde on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 11:54 pm:

"Hrllo...yes, this is debbie...no, I'm masturbating right now. can I call you right back? thanks."

Perhaps we should investigate the New Zealand directory and see for ourselves who this debiie person is.

By moonit on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 12:03 am:

I looked for her in the phone book and couldnt find her.

But i just looked at the online white pages and found a D Patterson down the same street but not at the number the woman told me last night.

Which means that the stupid cow wont be able to get her through 018 and will no doubt be ringing me again.

By moonit on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 12:06 am:

oh yeah and I dont think nz has a witness protection programme.

That will give me something to do for the rest of the day.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 08:36 am:

Next time it happens, say -

"Sorry, Debbie can't come to the phone right now, her face is in my crotch."

Probably won't get too many phone calls after that.

By Rafe on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 06:43 pm:

"she's polishing my pebble"

By PeriPheral on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 11:06 pm:

A little late on this one, but I got a couple of the weirdest calls like that. The first was at my old apartment in another town. This old lady calls looking for Jennifer Somethingorother. She tells me she's calling from Texas, and some operator gave her my number because our phones were under similar names or something. Any way, she's looking for her daughter Jennifer who ran off with some guy, and she hasn't seen her for a year or something. "There's no Jennifer here."

So I just moved to a new town about a month ago, and one of the first calls I get in the new house is this old lady again looking for her daughter Jennifer. The damn phone had just been turned on maybe the day before we moved in...an operator gave her the number again, she says. But this is the part that freaks me out most: the old lady says, "She called me at the cemetery yesterday. And the operator tells me it was from this number." Now, I get chills when she says this, because I'm automatically thinking this old woman's a ghost or something, and oh, great, this place is haunted or she's following me or something. Because who ever says, "She called me at the cemetery?" But trying to be skeptical, I've been looking at the mail for past tenants, and none of it's for any Jennifer, just in case she might've per chance lived here before and had the same damn number I got when switching towns. And another thing, there was no one in this house for at least a month before we moved in here.
    I've really got to get my shit together and ask this lady some questions next time she calls. Any suggestions?

By JusMiceElf on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 12:27 am:

Yeah, how about why the fuck doesn't she hire a private detective, since the operator clearly isn't helping her find her daughter.

By Fetidbeaver on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 01:16 am:

Why don't you pretend to be Jennifer and collect the inheritance when she kicks off. If she's senile you can give her the thrill of "finding" her daughter while turning a buck for yourself.

By Jay on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 08:39 am:

maybe the old lady works at a cemetary and homegirl had called her at work.
    ask her if she likes scary monsters.
    tell her that her daughter is probably going thru a phase and will get in touch with her when the time is right. probably when she gets pregnant.

By J on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 10:03 am:

That's when Amee got ahold of me,all knocked up,she is a scary monster.

By PeriPheral on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 03:14 pm:

Or I could pretend to be a private dick and get some dough out of her that way. And speaking of dicks...once, when my brother was little, he asked my mom, "Do monsters have penises?"

By J on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 03:24 pm:

Some old perve told me once"they ust to call me big dick,now they call me little richard".

By J on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 03:25 pm:

used

By PeriPheral on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 04:03 pm:

I had this bad job once, and a guy I worked with who was an ex-con, told me that "the ladies" called him 'Legend of the Golden Tongue.'

By Isolde on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 05:52 pm:

A friend of mine used to live at a number that was the same as mine, except for one number in the prefix. So people would be calling for one or the other of us all the time, and we could refer them to the other number. I wish all wrong numbers were like that.

By PeriPheral on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 06:23 pm:

Wouldn't it be a mess if you just held one number down for a certain length of time to get the person you wanted? mom & dad= #5 for 4 seconds. Frank's= #4 for 5 seconds. 911=#1 for 9 seconds. Meanwhile, someone's dying on the floor, and you're getting some schmo goin', "No, idiot; this is 910."

By Jay on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 08:25 am:

well, maybe thats why the shit ain't like that.
    i called somewhere the other day and some chick answered the phone "bueno". i guess it was the housekeeper or something. i asked if who i was looking for was there and she said "no here" and just hung up.
    it made no sense to me. i mean why even answer the phone if you aren't going to be able to understand whats being said. i mean i guess she understood enough to tell me he wasn't home but it's like christ, let the answering machine get it. at least that way i can leave a message.
    if i went to some foreign country i wouldn't go around answering peoples phone. like all of a sudden theres gonna be some english speaking voice on the end of a phone line in fucking mozambique.
    can you take me back where i came from can you take me back can you take me back where i came from brother can you take me back can you take me back can you take me where i came from can you take me back.

By Dougie on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 09:29 am:

I doubt deportation (willing or forced) is what the Beatles had in mind when they wrote that little ditty.

By Isolde on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 11:35 am:

I used to get Swedish people by accident when I tried ot call people all the time. But I don't think they should be deported.
    Perhaps the owners of the house asked her to answer the phone and she got flustered? Maybe you called a wrong number, and she was simply being obliging by telling you they weren't there? I should start doing that to wrong numbers.
    "Hello, is such and so there?"
    "no here."

By Jay on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 11:46 am:

ah dougie. i was hoping someone would pick up on that.
    yeah i think i'll start doing the "no here" thing myself.
    when bill collectors call.

By J on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 12:50 pm:

I often answere the phone saying "bueno",then "hold e on ay",as "I" come to the phone,nothing like having people think I have live in help.

By PeriPheral on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 10:26 pm:

So how long 'till everybody's speaking the same language like English or Esperanto or (fill in the blank)? Not that I think diversity is bad, but it seems like there could be a movement toward a common language on earth, what with the media and tools such as the internet becoming more and more popular.

By Isolde on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 03:58 pm:

I love the diversity of language, even though it can be frustrating. Esperanto failed--I mean, does anyone know it now? Sometimes it seems like English is the new Esperanto, since it borrows from may languages and many people study it. It makes me sad, because English is one of my least favorite languages.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact