I jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire.

sorabji.com: Are you stupid?: I jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By moonit on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 06:06 pm:

You may remember back a few months, when I got headhunted for a job at my Ma's work and I decided to take it.

Well, it seems I made a little mistake - they didn't tell me the company was in trouble, the first week I was there I got a letter from the managers saying that my pay might not go in due to 'unforseen circumstances' and since then I've only been paid on the correct day and directly into my bank account like you're sposed to about six or seven times. The rest I've been paid in cash (via the financial dude they've got in who is now holding debenture over the company).

Now this financial backing dude is also sleeping with one of the bosses (there are two), and he's decided that she should now be on the production floor. Never mind that shes got NO training - that before she bought into the company she was the receptionist - that after 11 years she still can't figure out how to get an attachment off the email - that the boy had to teach her how to bind books and the one day he let her do it without supervision she fucked 37 out of a 100.

The finance guy called us into a meeting and when he heard the other boss hadn't done something she was supposed to, he got mad and said that he would close the doors if she didnt pull her head in. Not really what you want to hear when you come back from beaverement leave. And then he couldn't figure out why I burst into tears. Fuckwit.

If mum, the boy and I didnt work there I would attempt to stick this out, but the fact that they're in court on Friday to find out if we're being put into liquidation kind of made me think TIME TO GET THE FUCK OUT.

So I applied for a job a while ago and didnt hear anything. So I've been looking every so often.

Then last week I got a phone call for an interview. I went. It rocked. Theres a new company starting up - they already bought a regional tv station and now a newspaper - which is where I would be working. They think its time to put competition back into the paper world in Christchurch. The Press has had a stranglehold over the city for too long.

I got the job, but its a minor pay cut.

But I'm taking it anyway.

Lets hope this one doesnt fuck up.

By Czarina on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 11:47 pm:

Oh,I think you definately made the right decision.And just in the "nick of time".Better a slight cut in pay,than one day NO pay.
    It sounds like you're leaving a most unusual establishment.Good luck!

By Gecko on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 03:25 am:

Newspapers are really cool. I spent five great years doing that before I sold my soul to satan and became a PR guy. This random voice from Minnesota says go to the newspaper....

By semillama on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 01:30 pm:

Skooter works for a paper too. I almost did but it folded before I could get started. I did one article on a local drama/improv teen group for them. God knows where I put my copy.

I just figured out I took a $3000 pay cut when I took this job. I will mention this to the director of my department tomorrow, although I doon't mind so much since I recieve full medical, dental and vision.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 11:28 am:

what is "beaverement leave"?

you broke down and cried in your bosses office?

By Cat on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 07:12 pm:

What a cute misspelling. It's supposed to be "bereavement" leave, me thinks.

Moonit's Nana died just recently.

But damn, I could sure use some beaverment leave. Nuk Nuk.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 08:16 pm:

are you sure you don't mean beavermint, cat? har har har.

By Cat on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 08:40 pm:

Actually beaverdent. He Ho Ha.

By moonit on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 05:59 am:

Dammit. I really really would like a spellchecker.

Apparently I am getting my wages in cash tomorrow.

Fuck I hate that. I just spend it instead of being a good unit and sticking it in my bank account.

By J on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 02:40 pm:

Get a piggy bank Moonit,I save change and roll it up in wrappers and take it to the bank even though it causes great embarrassment to the s/o.It adds up.

By moonit on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

I've got this big yellow round thing that I stick coinage in when I find it. Its all 5 cent (why hasnt my keyboard got a cents symbol) pieces and its about half full.

I might count it. I could buy my lunch with it.

and piss off the shop peoples.

By Nate on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 04:08 pm:

i'll be dave to it. character map.

alt-0162 ¢

By moonit on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 04:50 am:

¢ oooh i did it

that was fun

feck

how the hell

¢ ooh there it is

¢ hehe ¢ ¢ ¢¢~¢Ýb‚¢¢

heh

By moonit on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 04:52 am:

Than¢s Nate¢

How easily amused am I?

By Hal on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 04:04 pm:

†®©¥¤£¢™¶µŸÜ‰Šƒ

By Nate on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 10:10 pm:

amazing.

By semillama on Friday, June 1, 2001 - 06:50 pm:

¢

damn. That's the only thing I learned today.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact