Golly gee, I sure don't think so

sorabji.com: Are you stupid?: Golly gee, I sure don't think so
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 12:41 pm:

Someone please explain what is going on, okay?

My roommate, R, is going to move to Indiana in August.

I'm staying here.

Now, I'm staying here because:

a) I have a job here
    a 1) I like my job here
    a 2) I don't want a new job

b) I like the area. It's got lots of neat things.

c) I don't have the desire to move

R thinks these reasons are "weird" and doesn't buy them. She has a hard time understanding why I'm choosing to live here by myself. She believes I will "fail" and "will not be able to make it."

Can someone please explain to me what is so mind-boggling about the idea of me living by myself? While you're there, please explain how I could fail at living on my own.

Do you want my credentials?

Well, let's see. My IQ's over 70. I can tie my shoes. I can read and write and do complex math. I can drive a car. I can cook. I pay all my bills. I have no debt. I have no addictions. I have no stalkers. I know to come in out of the rain. I stay away from strange dogs. My forehead is free of tattoos depicting swastikas or orders to kick me. I think that about covers it -- how about you?

On a related note, what do you consider an appropriate response to the question "why are you so defensive?"?

Thanks in advance.

By patrick on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 12:51 pm:

maybe your roomate is being a self-centered posessive little weenie and is just scared to go on her own.

I don't blame you for not wanting to go to Indiana.

There is nothing mind-boggling at all about your desire to stay where you are. You roomate is taking the mind-boggling position here.

Im listening to the weird song where this girl is singing "Bring me men........Men to match my mountain...........Bring me men.......Men to match plains"

its a weird song.

"why are you so defensive?"

"because i you are constantly challenging my positions and questioning every damn thing i do."

By drpy on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 12:53 pm:

Who can turn the world on with her smile?
    Who can take a nothing day,
    And suddenly make it all seem worth-while?
    Well it's you girl and you should know it,
    With each glance and every little movement,
    You've shown it.

Love is all around no need to waste it.
    You can have the time,
    Why don't you take it?
    You're gonna make it after all
    You're gonna make it after all

By eri on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 01:02 pm:

I don't find it mind boggling that you want to live on your own, or that you don't want to move. Neither of those things are odd. Moving is a pain in the ass, and who wants to do it, really? What is in Indiana anyways? It is hard to find a job you like, so why change it? If you can hold a job, and pay your bills and make your meals and use the toilet all by yourself, there isn't any reason why you can't make it on your own. Then again, I would never tell someone I am friends with or care about in any way that they can't do it. Worst case scenario is that I would say, you need to be aware that you will have to blah blah blah.

As to why you are being defensive, wouldn't anyone be if they were told that their basic thought processes don't make sense or that they are incapable of living on their own and that they have to defend what they want in life? Hell I would pass defensive and go straight to bitch. Take the offensive. Why is it that you can't support or even acknowledge that I have made a decision in my life that is different than your decisions? Why is it that I have to live my life they exact same way you live yours? Am I not my own person and you yours?

Don't take her telling you that you can't do it to heart. There is no logical reason why you can't. It just sounds to me like your roommate is jealous of you taking this step without her, or maybe your roommate is just controlling and wants you to do things his/her way, when you have your own life to live.

By Spider on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 02:13 pm:

I thought I replied to this.

Anyway....thank you. I felt like I was going insane for a minute there.

"As to why you are being defensive, wouldn't anyone be if they were told that their basic thought processes don't make sense or that they are incapable of living on their own and that they have to defend what they want in life?"

THANK YOU. I'm not perfect, but I'm far from being the complete fuck-up she seems to think I am.

God, I'm angry.

I know what's going on. She's hurt because I didn't beg her not to go. It's none of my business where she goes! I'm not her husband! She's not responsible to me. I'm happy she's transferring to Notre Dame -- it's a great program, and it will be very good for her career. Go, and thrive! What more can you ask of a friend?

By eri on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 03:07 pm:

If you were to beg her not to go, then you would be holding her back from a possibly great future. My best friend didn't want me to go to Texas and leave her there alone, but she understood why and is very supportive. She keeps saying that even though she didn't want me to go, she can now see that it is such a wonderful change for us and we are accomplishing more here than we would have had we stayed in Missouri.

Friends encourage each other and sacrifice time spent together to help the other be the best person they can be. It isn't always easy, but you just do it.

I am sure you will do fine on your own.

By moonit on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 03:29 pm:

I always encourage Jules to take the next step. Now shes up in Auckland in the other island, but I know its the best for her.

My flatmate hasn't come home for three weeks and owes me $200. At what point can I sell his stuff. Or keep his stuff and sell mine? He's got a king sized bed and a massive tv.

By drpy on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 03:41 pm:

R, at least what spider has said about her over the years, always reminded me a little of my mother. she always had a confrontational way of dealing with problems with other people. my sister called it "turning it back on you." for example, if you were going to do something (like move) and she was worried about it, she wouldn't just say "i'm worried about you," she would list all the problems that would come with moving, why you can't handle them, etc. normally she's very nice and helpful, but when she feels things are out of control, she has a tendency to attack. she doesn't just do this with her kids (i apparently outgrew it), she does it with friends, her sister, even co-workers. the logic behind this, apparently, is that she will make you see your mistakes and come around to her way of thinking. (not that she does it consciously; in fact, she now seems to see it as a bad habit she's trying to break.)

so that's the way i tend to see spider's friend. she's actually very concerned about the arachnid and thinks that she can scare or bully her into something she felt was safe.

this could be completely wrong. R might just be a complete bitch.

i think living alone for a while will be good for you. you'll probably turn into a wild child and we'll get to watch.

By Fetidbeaver on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 03:58 pm:

everyone is always telling me to move....hhmmm....

By spunky on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 04:02 pm:

Once his rent is over 30 days past due, I would think his stuff is now your stuff....

By Spider on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 04:17 pm:

Droopy, my friend, you are right on. She's not a complete bitch...she's just self-righteous and judgmental. And I'm stubborn and passive-aggressive, so I'm sure I can be irritating as well. (But Christ almighty, at least I don't tell someone they're going to fail, at anything! What the hell kind of thing is that to say to anybody?)

I will never be a wild child. I'm too much of an elitist snob.

By patrick on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 06:15 pm:

don't they call that deflection?

i had a woman flake on a recent film shoot. she waited 3 days to come up with a story to explain herself. her story consisted of things WE should have done that would have helped HER not flake. Deflection the blame off herself right back to us.

By Antigone on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 07:09 pm:

Come now, Spider...why not admit the truth? Your roomie is in love with you and doesn't want to lose you.

By Spider on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 07:13 pm:

Hmmmm....she does call me her woman, sometimes...

;)

By Eri on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 08:13 pm:

This reminds me of when I took my best friend out dancing after her graduation. Some guy asked me if she was my pussy :p. It was the funniest thing.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact