Yes, and wheel-less, too.

sorabji.com: Are you stupid?: Yes, and wheel-less, too.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 10:25 am:

I got into a car accident on Thursday evening. 8 years of driving without so much as a parking ticket, and then I rear-end someone at a light because I was fiddling with the heat controls and didn't brake in time. What a moron.

Fortunately, the other car (van) didn't get a lick of damage. My car, however, is going to need a new hood, headlights, and grate over the fan in the front of the engine. I'm fine, myself.

But I don't got no car now. I do live a few blocks from a Metro station, so I got to work fine (my office is two blocks from another station), and I live a few blocks from the grocery store, so I won't starve. But I really fricking hate being without my own transportation that I can control.

In better news....I did manage to rent the first two seasons of "Mr. Show" on DVD from a near-Metro video place this weekend. Funniest goddamn thing I've seen in ages. Some of the skits are a bit flat, but the good ones made me fall over and cry. David Cross...*sigh*. He's perfect.

By kazoo on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 01:03 pm:

as long as you are okay.

Last night I had a dream that spiders were biting me. It was one of those shouting ones. Sem asked what was wrong and apparently I said, "they are motorhead spiders"

By Spider on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 01:47 pm:

Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry about my relatives. :)

By Spider on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 01:48 pm:

WHy is it so quiet today? It's not a holiday.

By spunky on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 01:57 pm:

It has been very quiet lately.

By patrick on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 01:58 pm:

when certain people complain about certain covnersation, people clam up.

gee complained and made me feel stupid about the conversation of photographing eri. brought that to a standstill.

dave complained about the back and forth with spunk (made me feel stupid). that ends that and poor spunk subsequently thinks he's being ignored.

agatha, understandably gets pruddish when sem boasts about a hickey (im assuming making him feel stupid for saying anything). brings that one to an end too.

problem is, when people complain about a conversation, they usually arent exactly encouraging another one elsewhere.

so it comes to a dead crawl around here subsequently.

By patrick on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 01:59 pm:

btw

sorry bout the car accident. glad you're in one piece.

By kazoo on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 02:26 pm:

"im assuming making him feel stupid for saying anything"

no...I just don't think there was anything left to say about it

thankfully

By Spider on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 02:38 pm:

Well, that sucks. What *can* we talk about?

1. I'm reading Paul Auster's "The Invention of Solitude," and I love it. It's non-fiction, about his father, who sounds very much more remote and distant than my own father, which I didn't think possible. My father, though, actually does care about people. Anyway, it's a great book. What are you reading?

2. I walked all around Bethesda/Friendship Heights/Dupont Circle/Takoma Park on Saturday, and, stupidly, it didn't occur to me to stretch when I got home. My legs are miserably sore. The front of my shins hurt more than anything (shin splints?), and the muscles high on the outsides of my thighs twinge sharply when I go up steps. I used to know the names of those muscles...either the vastus lateralis or the tensor fascia lata. But the cool thing was that I was able to walk up all the steps in the Bethesda and Dupont Circle Metro escalators (which are huge -- click on the picture on the right; that's not even the whole thing), thanks to the aerobics classes I've been taking.

3. I think I'm obsessed with Mr. Show now. The best thing about it was that I didn't find the first show all that funny, but with each episode I saw, the more my sense of humor grew (warped?) to adapt to the comedy. Now I think the first episode was great. I am anxiously awaiting news of release of the 3rd and 4th seasons on DVD -- I've read many reviews saying that these seasons were leagues better than the first two, which I can't imagine. Maybe ebay will have some taped-from-home copies....

By patrick on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 02:46 pm:

i ditched Joyce. I remembered why I didnt remember much of him the first go around in highschool.

the story was about as interesting as watching paint dry.

don't get me wrong, i see why he's a fantastic writer. he just isnt that fun of a read.

so ive turned back to good ole to DH Lawrence. Same era, but vastly different. Its 'This Mortal Coil and Other Short Stories'. Its sweet and warm and that suits me just fine.

I may be a sap in some ways but Lawrence's just has a way of making you want to turn the page. I kept finding myself thinking about laundry or my photoshoot or something else while reading Joyce.

Mr. Show ruled. They filmed that a 1/4 mile from my house at mack sennett studios. I see david cross around from time to time.

By kazoo on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:03 pm:

1. I'm reading Celia, A Slave: A True Story by Melton A. McLaurin; White Women, Black Men, Illicit Sex in the 19th Century South by Martha Hodes, Contested Lives by Faye D. Ginsburg, and several articles that accompany these books. I have various opinions on all of these texts, none of which I feel like going into. I miss reading books for fun.

I was thinking about D.H. Lawrence on the way to campus this morning...wonderful stuff.

2. I got a television but I don't have cable yet. Sem brought some videos of cartoons that I've been missing: Harvey Birdman, Home Movies, and the Oblongs.

3. I need to start exercising even though I walk everywhere. I feel like I am getting fat even though I know that I am not.

4. There is one woman in my class who is driving me bonkers and I could go on for days about her, but I think I'll wait until she frustrates me to the point of needing to vent instead of just wanting to be catty. However, I found out that my friend Y. feels the same way. I felt horrible to be talking about her, but then I found out she said something very mean to Y. so I felt somewhat justified.

5. I'm made an appointment with a psychiatrist here to get my prescription refills but also deal with my recent bouts of crankiness and lack of personality.

By Spider on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:03 pm:

His face, just in itself, is enough to make me laugh. Especially his "sincere" face. Good God almighty, I'm snickering just thinking about it.

By Spider on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:06 pm:

I can see why you think that about Joyce. If you feel like giving him another shot, try "Dubliners" -- they're short stories. That and "Portrait of an Artist..." are the only Joyce works I've ever been able to read.

My dad, shortly after he came to America, when he could barely speak English, read "Ulysses." I once asked him what he thought of it (he doesn't even like novels to begin with, so...), and he just laughed.

By patrick on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:13 pm:

you should enjoy going without your car more often spidey.

i've come to love it.

just today, a coworker in the break room said "hey was that you on the corner of So and So street waiting on the bus" "yep that was me"

"oh, well next time I'll stop and give you a ride."

while quite nice of him, id rather he didnt. i dont want to talk to anyone that early in the morning, i like being annonymous. i want to read and observe. but how do i say that without sounding like a dick? i can't so i just modify my schedule by a few minutes and hope he doesnt drive by again.

By Spider on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:19 pm:

Oops, didn't see your responses, Kazoo.

I'm taking a class at my church in the history of American Catholicism, and there's a young girl in my class who is evidentally studying similar things in her high school history class, because she just won't shut up. Not only that, but she speaks with with a tone of utter confidence in her answer, and more often than not, she's saying something completely unnecessary and insipid. I understand that she's trying to hold her own in a class of adults....I'm just praying that she'll soon realize she'd learn more if she kept her mouth closed.

Feel free to vent about your classmate. Cattiness is okay. :)

Regarding your #3, you might be losing muscle, if you feel that way. Does your school have a weight room you could use? I never thought I'd say this this (I am the consummate non-athlete), but I really love my aerobics classes, and I'd recommend them to anyone who's feeling out of shape (they're like step-aerobics plus weight training in one). I've only been taking them since the start of the month, and already I'm seeing progress. I almost dropped dead during the middle of the first class, but now I can keep up for the whole hour with energy left over. I'm stronger, too, and my pants are looser around the waist. I'm hoping my ass will catch up soon.

By Antigone on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:21 pm:

Glad you're OK, rhi.

You didn't happen to rear end a white van, did you? :P

And I've been quiet because midterms are coming up and my research advisor might be a complete butthead.

By Spider on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:28 pm:

Since when have you been in school?? You've never mentioned it before, have you? Am I really that spacey?

By kazoo on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:52 pm:

Patrick, I know exactly how you feel. I have a 35 minute walk to campus and I've avoided "car-pool" offers and the bus because it's really the only time I get to enjoy my innerworld guilt-free.

Spider, I'm absolutely losing muscle and have been planning on going back to the gym but putting it off along with everything else that I can't do over the internet. I'm thinking of hiring one of their trainers for a session or two as well since my workout "goals" have changed considerably since I last developed a program of sorts

As far as my classmate is concerned...she is a former cheerleader/sorority girl who became a feminist during college. She always felt like she had to be the "perfect" cheerleader and now she's just transferred it onto her feminism and asserts herself ways that I find, not only personally irritating, but self-righteous and in the end, anti-feminist...you know, like it's a big club. The thing is, she's not even our militant-angry girl...she's phony-nice. I don't really think I'm "better" at it...but I think I'm a little more secure than she is and used to being a misfit. But she is really intelligent; I think we are just VERY different people.

Antigone, midterms? I thought those were for undergrads. Other than that...how are you finding the world of higher ed?

By Antigone on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 04:14 pm:

One take home midterm now, one in a couple of weeks, and 2.5 times the research work I had last month and my advisor expected me to finish it in 1/4th the time. (That, and I procrastinated on it, so I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind now.)

Dunno, kazoo. I've always had midterms in my graduate classes. Homework too. I guess it's just the way they do it around here.

Yeah, Rhi, I've been back in school since September, starting on my PhD in computer science.

Exercize, kazoo. Exerzice makes ye happy. :)

By Spider on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 04:16 pm:

Can you give an example of the classmate's behavior?

By patrick on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 04:55 pm:

better yet, can you just bring her on sorabji so we can chastise her ass in a semi in-person format?

By The Watcher on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 06:15 pm:

Spider, everybody feels that way when they have an accident.

You feel even worse when you get a ticket.

I haven't posted much because i feel like crap. The boss doesn't like me on the internet. And, with the building renovations going on I have to be out of here before 6:30 or it's a Loooong walk to the car.

By agatha on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 06:33 pm:

sorry.

i'm really not a prude. i just hate hickies.

spider, i'm glad you're okay, and i can totally relate to being at the mercy of public transportation. you'll get used to it, although hopefully you won't have to.

By agatha on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 06:34 pm:

and might i add, patrick, that you're one to talk about making people feel stupid. ha!

By patrick on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 06:43 pm:

but at least i TRY and stir up other conversation sister.

By agatha on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 07:16 pm:

true. i'm experiencing generalized low level malaise of late. it makes me churlish and reticent.

(i knew you'd enjoy that sentence...)

By dave. on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 02:00 am:

sorry. i'm just a cranky ass. i have nothing to contribute.

By Spider on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 08:45 am:

I just called the mechanic who's fixing my car. It won't be ready for another 5-7 days after I authorize the repairs, and they still haven't drawn up everything that needs to be fixed. So let's say 10 days.

This sucks.

Fortunately (?!) I have a $500 deductible, so I won't be out more than that. On the phone, the guy said I damaged the hood, radiator, air conditioning, headlights, and bumper. No major structural damage though.

But I have a question. Now, this is the mechanic recommended to me by my insurance company, so they have a relationship going. So, say the repairs are $1000. How do I pay? Do I give the guy $500 and send the rest of the bill to the insurance co.? Since he's in leagues with the insurance co., will he just bill me $500 and send the rest of the paperwork to the insurance? Does he bill the insurance co., who then send me a bill for $500?

I've never been in this situation before, and I don't know what to expect.

There is another side to riding public transportation: I actually made it into work today. There was another sniper shooting in Montgomery Co. this morning (in Aspen Hill, close to the first shootings), and the American Legion Bridge, Wisconsin Ave., Georgia Ave., and some of the other major roads are closed. A coworker (who also made it in, to her disappointment) said that the radio announcer she heard told people who hadn't left for work yet to stay home. The office is a graveyard. And no wonder the Metro was more crowded today than yesterday.

By Spider on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:26 am:

Uh, make that $3096.02 in total. And the mechanic answered my question -- I just pay the $500 when I pick up my car; the insurance co. pays the rest.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:46 am:

At leaste you are not injured

By J on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:58 am:

Spider you be careful when your waiting for a bus or a train, this just worries me,try to get behind something while your waiting just to placate me,o.k.?

By kazoo on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 11:13 am:

And Spider, I'll let you know all about my classmate soon enough...I'm not bringing her here though

By wisper on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 05:34 pm:

you know when you read a long thread, and then halfway through you really want to say something, but by the end of it, you've forgotten what it was and you're too lazy to sorth through the whole thing again just to remember?

yep.

happy tuesday

By wisper on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 05:37 pm:

wait.... I got it

Pit-Pat, Spider! PIT PAT!

jesus, it made me laugh till i cried and then some.
    And Coupon-The Movie. Shit. We sit people down and make them watch that whenever someone new visits.

The funny thing is, i hated Mr.Show when it was on t.v. I thought it was boring as hell. But years later on DVD and it kills me.

don't get me started.

By Pit-Pat on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 05:37 pm:

take it from me... I love you :)

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 06:02 pm:

I've heard good things about Mr. Show. One of the guys in it was in that stupid show with David Spade, Just Shoot Me, playing the brother of one of the characters and was pretending to be dim-witted after an accident to get out of working, and my boss just happened to have it taped and lent it to me -- he was hysterical. "Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie".

By The Watcher on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 06:12 pm:

That's an awful lot of damage Spider. What in the world did you do to cause all that?

And, what kind of car is it?

And finally, Why is it going to take them sooo long to fix it?

It sounds to me like you're getting the run around.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 08:52 am:

Watcher: I rear-ended somebody at a light...I must have been going about 15 mph. (It was a green light that had just turned green, and I was fiddling with the air controls, didn't pay attention, and didn't slow down that much, I guess expecting the traffic to start rolling through the light by the time I got up there. Didn't happen.) My car's a 1997 Toyota Corolla. I am paranoid about being taken advantage of at body shops, but I also know zip about cars, so I'm in a bind. However, I did look closely at the car myself, and I could see that there was quite a lot of superficial damage to the front (lots of plastic parts broken off, bumper looked loose, and the engine made a strange whirring sound when I drove the car home).

Wisper: I think the show has to grow on you or something, because my brother (who suggested renting the DVD) has said the same thing. Coupon: the movie was great! I think my favorite sketch of all is a really short one involving the supermodel calling service. I love all the musicals too. (Rap: The Musical -- hee!)

Dougie, I've seen that "just shoot me" episode! Isn't David Cross the best?

By Spider on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 09:54 am:

More signs of sickness: every time something goes wrong at work, I hear Bob Odenkirk roar "GODDAMMIT!" in my head. I wish I could sound that powerful.

It's okay, though....the DVD is due tonight.

By Spider on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 08:56 am:

I got my car back last night!

This morning, I went to turn it on. It wouldn't start. It wouldn't even roll over. Nothing. All the dashboard lights worked, so I knew the battery still had juice.

I went inside and called AAA to get some help.

I went outside and gave the car a try, for the hell of it. It turned on.

I went inside and called AAA to cancel the service request.

I went outside, and the car wouldn't turn on.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

So I cursed, and asked God why He hated me, and paced around, and opened the hood (like I knew what I was looking for) and walked up to the gatehouse and deposited my rent and came back and got in my car, and my car turned on.

Yay!

However, since I don't know what the problem was, I don't know if it will happen again. So here I am at work, 45 min late, praying that the car will start this evening so I can go home.

Cross your fingers.

By dave. on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 09:33 am:

well, if your lights don't dim a little when you go to start it, it's probably something in the starter motor circuit, possibly even at the ignition. my old toyota would do that and i'd just sit there holding the key turned until it finally turned over. sometimes as long as a minute. usually, it took exactly as long as it would take me on any given day to give up on it and begin considering other arrangements. when i reached that level of exasperation, it would crank. yes, even inanimate objects fuck with me on a regular basis.

By Spider on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 09:37 am:

A coworker just told me that her husband's car had had similar problems, right after he got it back from the shop, too. Something about how putting the car in Park knocks something loose so that the engine can't ignite. She also said it cost, like, $20 to fix and it was in and out of the shop in less than a day.

I'll see if I can make an appointment to fix my own piece of - I mean, naughty car in next week.

By dave. on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 09:42 am:

the neutral safety switch, which disables the starter circuit unless the car is in neutral or park.

By Spider on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 09:47 am:

That must be it. So if this happens again, I should just keep trying the key? Is there a way to jiggle the switch manually in the engine (or would that take off my hand?)?

By dave. on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 10:06 am:

it's actually on the transmission (usually). moving the gear selecter (not while turning the key) back and forth through the gears a few times might help.

By Spider on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 10:14 am:

I had tried that -- it won't move. Actually, the button on the gear shaft won't release to allow me to move the thing, and I could only wiggle it a little bit.

I was able to make an appointment to have it inspected next Friday, so I'll tell the mechanic to look specifically at this problem. Heh, maybe I can drive it up to my dad's house this weekend and drive his car back. If he has any problems with it, he could always drive my brother's car.

By Spider on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 10:15 am:

PS. Thanks for your help, Dave.

By patrick on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 11:24 am:

why don't you call the shop and ask them why you paid them?

this problem didnt exist before you brought it to them. as far as Im concerned its their problem, no? you don't get a car back from the shop, whom has been paid buttloads of money, only to have more problems.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact