Find Out!

sorabji.com: Are you stupid?: Find Out!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By trace on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 10:07 am:

The Ultimate IQ Test

Congratulations, trace!
    Your IQ score is XXX (I intentionally hid that)
    This number is the result of a formula based on how many questions you answered correctly on Emode's Ultimate IQ test.
    The even better news is that at Emode, we've taken your IQ test one step further. During the test, you answered four different types of questions — mathematical, visual-spatial, linguistic and logical. We were able to analyze how you did on each set of those questions, which allows us to shed light on the way your brain uniquely functions.
    At the same time, we compared your answers with others who have taken the test, and according to the sorts of questions you got correct, we can tell your Intellectual Type is an Inventive Inquisitor.
    Try it out for yourself

By trace on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 10:07 am:

I hid my score because that was not the point of me posting this link, I just wanted to share the test with you all.

By wisper on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 10:58 am:

suuuuuure.

either that online test is messed, or ye olde standerdized IQ tests i took in school are very very slack.
    Still, it got my brain going at this early hour.

By trace on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 11:23 am:

mine came out 8 points less then the one I took when I was in school

By Spider on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 11:35 am:

You know any online IQ test is totally bogus, right?

The ones on paper are better, but also questionable. There is no consensus on the definition of intelligence, for starters.

By semillama on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 12:22 pm:

yeah, but htey are fun. I came out as an Insightful Linguist.

I would have preferred to be a cunning linguist but oh well...
    (ba dum dum!)

By Spider on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 12:41 pm:

*Pbtbtbtbt* I know my IQ, and that online test reported it 14 points lower.

It said I was a visionary philosopher. WTF? What pattern of right and wrong did I display to get that?

By heather on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 03:49 pm:

how do you know your iq if 'There is no consensus on the definition of intelligence'

i bet you would get different point levels just from taking it on different days

By patrick on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 04:28 pm:

ive never taken any IQ test, to my knowledge anyway.

whats the scale? meaning, where do i measure up?

By Spider on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 04:28 pm:

I know my IQ because that was the result of the tests. The tests measure something, but do they measure intelligence? What is intelligence? Is it the ability to learn quickly? Is it the ability to retain and retrieve information? Is it the ability to solve new problems quickly? Is musical ability part of intelligence? No single
    definition of intelligence has been canonized.

One feature of all of the standard IQ tests (Stanford-Binet, Wexler, WISC) is that they are statistically reliable over time -- it's one of their hallmarks.

By patrick on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 05:49 pm:

so spider....where can i find out where my score of XXX falls?

By Counter Punch on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 10:02 pm:

100 The average IQ Score.
    120 Smart enough to finish most college undergraduate level courses.
    130 Entry level "genius" score.
    140 Definitely genius level.
    150 Less than 1/2 of 1% of all IQ test takers achieve this score or higher.

By heather on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 11:36 pm:

120?

i think that's 20 points in the wrong direction (from a hundred) based on the description

By trace on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 12:02 am:

i was thinking the same thing. I still lost 14 points somewhere, I am wondering if I should truy again

By Nate on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 01:44 am:

hahaha.

By heather on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 02:05 am:

for clarification

i did not take the test. i only meant that 120 seems a little high for what's necessary to pass most undergraduate level classes. i suggested 80. that is all.

By Spider on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 08:34 am:

(One) IQ Range Classification

140 and over Genius or near genius
    120-140 Very superior intelligence
    110-120 Superior intelligence
    90-110 Normal or average intelligence
    80-90 Dullness
    70-80 Borderline deficiency
    Below 70 Definite feeble-mindedness

Go here for more information on the distribution of IQ scores.

Patrick, most people get their IQs tested in elementary school. Ask your mother.

By semillama on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 09:14 am:

I tested 140 in third grade, and I made teh mistake of bragging about it, since it was the only thing I could brag about, and I got teased unmercifully for it.

Don't worry spunk, I lost a few points myself. Somebody has to have them. Maybe they are with my missing socks.

By Spider on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 09:27 am:

I didn't find out my IQ until a few years ago. I think most parents don't tell their kids their scores because they want to protect the kids' self-esteem (from inflation or deflation).

Now I feel compelled to relate my father's favorite saying regarding intelligence: "It's not what you have -- it's how you use it."

By trace on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 09:38 am:

i used to be in the 130-140 range....

By Spider on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 09:53 am:

Unless you suffer brain damage or dementia or something like that, your IQ is stable over your lifetime. (By stable I mean it doesn't change by a statistically significant amount.)

You can have a temporary drop due to sleep loss, illness, chemical influence, etc.

By trace on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 09:57 am:

maybe this test does use different standards

By patrick on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 11:15 am:

i'll ask my mum, but i doubt she knows. she doesnt even know my blood type.

it seems everyone lost some points with this online version, assuming i did, if i was tested early on, im totally shocked at my score, but then again, i have a habit of underestimating myself.

By Spider on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 11:20 am:

First of all, I am an idiot -- I misspelled Wechsler.

Second of all, as I said earlier, all online IQ tests are bogus.

This page -- http://www.cps.nova.edu/~cpphelp/WAIS-R.html -- describes the Wechsler IQ test for adults.

A friend of mine is at Bryn Mawr in their psychology grad program, and when she does her internship in a school this year, she'll give kids a battery of ten IQ tests to determine their score. We were just talking about this last weekend -- a school that teaches its students to question the validity (I don't mean that in a statistical sense) of IQ tests are requiring its grad students to be proficient in scoring ten of them before certifying them in school psychology. Hilarious.

By patrick on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 11:40 am:

what makes the online test any better or worse?

By Spider on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 11:55 am:

One more time, with feeling: online IQ tests are meaningless.

Paper tests have many more questions, are timed, give you several scores in different areas, are scored by a human being who is trained to make subjective decisions when answers are ambiguous, etc. Paper tests are also rigorously analyzed psychometrically to determine whether or not the test measures what it claims to measure, whether or not all of the questions are relevant, whether the test is biased in favor of a particular population sample, etc. etc.

By Spider on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 12:01 pm:

FYI: The link above is for the version of the Wechsler published in 1981. It was revised again in 1997, but I couldn't find a webpage that summed it up nicely like that.

By Spider on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 12:07 pm:

One more thing -- this journal article includes a description of the most current version of the test....you can see that it includes assessments of memory, vocabulary, spatial skills, social skills, and so on.

By patrick on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 12:25 pm:

the fire department came to my house this morning.

after my alarm clock went off, i got up to make peepee, crawling back into bed for a snooze session, the hallway smoke alarm went off. I get up and see there are cinders burning in the heater box, below the grate. All I can think is the gas line is going to blow! Gas heat makes me nervous at times, especially really old units such as this.

"SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! GET YOUR SHOES ON AND GET OUT, " i yell to the wife. I manage to blow the cinders out, but more catch on. I turn the heater off and dart for my shoes and the phone. I realize i have no pants on. Aside from the fire, one of my greatest fears is darting out of the house in a fire or quake with no pants on.

By the time i get off the phone with 911, the cinders are out. They come anyway to double check. Turns out, the landlord didnt clean the previous tenents debris, cat hair and dust out of the heater box in the floorboard. It was just a matter of time before it caught on.

The Fire Dept. takes approx. 3-4 minutes to get to my house.

It doesnt take a genius to know, even if you dont experience them first hand, that fireman have to be the most reassuring breed of human there is.

By patrick on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 01:45 pm:

hey spider, remember that checkers game we were engaged in? its been your move for like months now.

By Nate on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 02:45 pm:

the test found me south of the score i know from the 'official' tests.

the test found me higher than trace's score.

i'm a Visual Mathematician. ooooo.

By Spider on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 04:35 pm:

Patrick, I moved!

By Spider on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 04:37 pm:

BTW, can someone tell me how they answered that "John likes 100 but not 99" question in trace's link?

By trace on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 04:42 pm:

I picked the one that was 1,000 more, I believe

By Spider on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 04:42 pm:

What was your reasoning? I couldn't figure out the pattern.

By trace on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 04:43 pm:

Because all of the ones he likes is either one bigger or 100 or 1000 depending on the amount
    of course I have no way of knowing if that was correct

By semillama on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 04:44 pm:

I just guessed for that one. Ask Nate, he's thevisual mathmetician.

I think they got their "IQ types" from the Wu-Tang Clan name generator.

By patrick on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 05:23 pm:

i guessed on that one too spider. i couldnt find the pattern.

another one that didnt make any damn sense to me is:

two dudes in a car start from the same spot, travelling in opposite directions travel 6 miles each. they take a left turn and travel another 8 miles. how far apart are they.

remember that one?

to me, answer is 28, surface miles. that is, if they were to turn around and drive ba...wait a minute...im seeing two isocelese triangles here?

dammit, they must have been wanting that distance, the two unfinished legs of the triangle. unfortunately, i forget my geometery/triangle rules.

nevermind

By Antigone on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 05:49 pm:

10 miles.

6^2 + 8^2 = 10^2
    36 + 64 = 100

Pythagorean theorem.

By patrick on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 06:07 pm:

i was probably smoking pot in the soccer field that day such a theory was taught because your notation (^?) doesnt mean a thing to me

isnt there a relationship in a triangle, that if you know the distance of two sides you can figure out the third?

By trace on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 07:04 pm:

i took it to be line of site versus road miles

10 miles (which is what antigone was referring to)

By Nate on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 07:06 pm:

20 miles, antigone. each went in opposite directions 10 miles from start.

By Nate on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 07:07 pm:

the hyp of a tri is the square root of the sum of the squares of the two other sides, patty.

By patrick on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 07:11 pm:

thanks. thats helpful.

diiiiick.

By Antigone on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 07:18 pm:

A minor detail, Nateypoo.

I just studied for my NLP final, took the final, started, researched and wrote my final project, all in 8 hours. I have another take home final to start and finish within the next five hours.

Gimmie a break, k?

By agatha on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 07:46 pm:

i decided that those numbers were all even square roots, i think.

i'm so glad you said it was the pythagorean theorem, tiggy, because that was really bugging me too. i even drew a picture.

still, wouldn't it be 16^2+12^2=x^2?

i'm an insightful linquist, not to be confused with a cunning linquist.

By agatha on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 07:46 pm:

damn, i just saw that sem already made that joke. doh!

By Dougie on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 08:19 pm:

129, a visual mathmetician whatever the fuck that is. I'm soo disappointed I missed entry level genius by 1. Anybody buy the comprehensive thingy? It was fun though.

By Antigone on Wednesday, December 4, 2002 - 10:19 pm:

Yeah, agatha, 16^2 + 12^2 = 20^2.

That's because any right triangle with sides proportional to 3,4,5 will fit the equation fine, so 12,16,20 works.

There are infinitely many of these triples, and they're called Pythagorean triples, oddly enough...

By Ophelia on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 01:34 am:

i'm a visual mathematician, too, but i didn't see any reason for why john likes those numbers so much. i agree with spider here that this stuff is bogus, but still, my score made me feel smart, so why not take the free confidence boost? i have no idea what my real number is...but i wouldn't really put too much importance on a written one either. its a more accurate number for a poorly defined characteristic that has a limited affect on your general happiness and quality of life, so who gives a shit?

By dave. on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 02:12 am:

i didn't take the test but i scored 140 anyway. i'm a gastric flatulist. not sure how that dovetails with intelligence.

By Slacker on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 08:13 am:

it doesn't ............ in your case.

By The Watcher on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 01:06 pm:

Hey, I'm a Visionary Philosopher!!!

By Nate on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

everyone with an IQ of 80 is.

By The Watcher on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 01:58 pm:

Everyone with an IQ of 80 is.

A Judge.

A Lawyer.

A Polititian.

A Manager.

A janitor. Maybe, some have scored higher.

By trace on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 02:07 pm:

"Inventive Inquisitor"

Whats that mean? invent reasons to inquire?
    Or if you don't know the answer you make it up?

By heather on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 02:35 pm:

that test was way too easy and short to say anything

but damn i'm feeling smarty today

it will pass

By kazoo on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 02:38 pm:

I have always scored low on standardized tests and so I don't get the free confidence boost that comes with taking these on-line things. I'm addicted them though.

I like the goddess test better.

My blood type is A negative.

I'm a (post)structuralist materialist.

By Ophelia on Thursday, December 5, 2002 - 07:48 pm:

By Lapis on Friday, December 6, 2002 - 12:38 am:

I'm Yoda.

I am strong in the force.

By wisper on Friday, December 6, 2002 - 06:24 pm:

I'm R2-D2

i'm a cute and quirky little trash can.
    *beep boop BEBE boop*

i was hopeing for Ewok.

By C on Friday, December 6, 2002 - 11:55 pm:

two nights ago my neighbor's car was stolen. it was parked right next to mine.

what's wrong with my car? why didn't they want mine?

By c on Saturday, December 7, 2002 - 12:43 am:

it says I tested at 140. what a lie. if I were a genius, I wouldn't have fallen for that "Please enter a valid address that you use" bullshit.

By Auggie on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 07:59 pm:

I,too, am bored today. I was disappointed to learn that I'm not as smart as I thought, and only a little dumber than most know me to be.

By Rccola on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 03:27 pm:

I also took this test today & found that I am not nearly as smart as I lead others to believe. Please don't tell on me. 126 insightful linguist

By eri on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 03:42 pm:

Erin, you're Yoda

You are wise beyond your years — a sage for the ages, the master's master. That's why your Star Wars type is Yoda. Sure, you might not look too much like the little green Jedi Master, but you have a quiet contemplative way about you that commands respect.

Cool....

By The Watcher on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 07:25 pm:

I'll try that one later.

By Cleverdick on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 10:27 pm:

133 visionary philosipher!! Woo Hoo!!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact