It IS about oil and Money

sorabji.com: Are you stupid?: It IS about oil and Money
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By trace on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:49 pm:

Just not the way you think.

France

French total trade with Iraq under the oil-for-food program is the third largest, totaling $3.1 billion since 1996, according to the United Nations.
    In 2001 France became Iraq’s largest European trading partner.
    France’s largest oil company, Total Fina Elf, has negotiated a deal to develop the Majnoon field in western Iraq. The Majnoon field purportedly contains up to 30 billion barrels of oil.
    Total Fina Elf also negotiated a deal for future oil exploration in Iraq’s Nahr Umar field. Both the Majnoon and Nahr Umar fields are estimated to contain as much as 25 percent of the country’s reserves.
    From 1981 to 2001, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), France was responsible for over 13 percent of Iraq’s arms imports.

Germany
    Direct trade between Germany and Iraq amounts to about $350 million annually, and another $1 billion is reportedly sold through third parties.
    It has recently been reported that Saddam Hussein has ordered Iraqi domestic businesses to show preference to German companies as a reward for Germany’s “firm positive stand in rejecting the launching of a military attack against Iraq.” It was also reported that over 101 German companies were present at the Baghdad Annual exposition.
    German officials are investigating a German corporation accused of illegally channeling weapons to Iraq via Jordan. The equipment in question is used for boring the barrels of large cannons and is allegedly intended for Saddam Hussein’s Al Fao Supercannon project.
    In 2002, DaimlerChrysler was awarded over $13 million in contracts for German trucks and spare parts.

Russia
    Under the U.N. oil-for-food program, Russia’s total trade with Iraq was somewhere between $530 million and $1 billion for the six months ending in December of 2001.
    According to the Russian Ambassador to Iraq, Vladimir Titorenko, new contracts worth another $200 million under the U.N. oil-for-food program are to be signed over the next three months.
    Russia’s LUKoil negotiated a $4 billion, 23-year contract in 1997 to rehabilitate the 15 billion-barrel West Qurna field in southern Iraq. Work on the oil field was expected to commence upon cancellation of U.N. sanctions on Iraq. The deal is currently on hold.
    In October 2001, Salvneft, a Russian–Belarus company, negotiated a $52 million service contract to drill at the Tuba field in Southern Iraq.
    A future $40 billion Iraqi–Russian economic agreement, reportedly signed in 2002, would allow for extensive oil exploration opportunities throughout western Iraq.
    The proposal calls for 67 new projects, over a 10-year time frame, to explore and further develop fields in southern Iraq and the Western Desert, including the Suba, Luhais, West Qurna, and Rumaila projects. Additional projects added to the deal include second-phase construction of a pipeline running from southern to northern Iraq, and extensive drilling and gas projects. Work on these projects would commence upon cancellation of sanctions.
    The former Soviet Union was the premier supplier of Iraqi arms. From 1981 to 2001, Russia supplied Iraq with 50 percent of its arms.

China
    China National Oil Company, partnered with China North Industries Corp., negotiated a 22-year-long deal for future oil exploration in the Al Ahdab field in southern Iraq.
    In recent years, the Chinese Aero-Technology Import–Export Company (CATIC) has been contracted to sell “meteorological satellite” and “surface observation” equipment to Iraq. This contract was approved by the U.N. oil-for-food program.
    CATIC also won approval from the U.N. in July 2000 to sell $2 million worth of fiber optic cables. This and similar contracts approved were disguised as telecommunications gear. These cables can be used for secure data and communications links between national command and control centers and long-range search radar, targeting radar, and missile-launch units, according to U.S. officials. In addition, China National Electric Wire & Cable and China National Technical Import Telecommunications Equipment Company are believed to have sold Iraq $6 million and $15.5 million worth of communications equipment and other unspecified supplies, respectively.
    According to a report from SIPRI, from 1981 to 2001, China was the second largest supplier of weapons and arms to Iraq, supplying over 18 percent of Iraq’s weapons imports.

So, you all who say "no blood for oil" are quite right. Just not in the way you imagined.

By patrick on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 02:07 pm:

trace don't be silly. what a silly thread.

and you think we're going over there for weapons? you think we're going over to liberate some brown people?

please, dont be fucking silly.

By Antigone on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 02:46 pm:

spunky, I see it on FoxNews, then you post it. Way to think independently, d00d.

By trace on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 02:48 pm:

Um, I am not watching FoxNews, silly

By jack on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 03:00 pm:

is that comment supposed to prove that you're thinking independently?
    because it doesn't.

By trace on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 03:20 pm:

Is that comment supposed to prove that you're thing indepently?
    because it doesn't.
    Comman tactic is to attack the poster rather then dispute the facts. The whole "your just repeating (insert pundit here)" thing is a little old, and I am weary of wasting my time convincing you dolts I have a mind of my own

By patrick on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 03:27 pm:

no one is going to dispute on this thread you ding dong.

all im doing is citing the lack of revealation in your post.

this information is common knowledge.

we all know that iraq and russia/france and others have major economic ties annd this is a major reason for their opposition to war in addition to providing a valuable check and balance to American might.

The US has major economic ties and even more potential in Iraq after a war. So what. Haliburton? Hello? Who do you think rebuilt the Iraqi oil infrastructure after it was bombed to shit in 91? Cheney's Haliburton via a French subsidiary.

but to use this common knowledge as some sort of counter point to the "oil for blood" argument or whathave you is pointless. There's no point or argument to your thread to begin with tough guy so what the hell is your point?

By Antigone on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 03:45 pm:

"I am not watching FoxNews, silly"

Nah, but you're both sucking from the same propaganda tit, silly

By trace on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

By semillama on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 04:51 pm:

Here's some analysis of the whole thing from the BBC:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2847905.stm

What's strange is that these companies with oil contracts with Iraq, you'd think they would be all for regime change so sanctions would lift and the oil could start flowing. Perhaps they are afraid a regime change would cancel their contracts.

This type of thing could be why we aren't talking about taking out Saudi Arabia, who we know has members of the ruling family funneling money to Al Qaeda and other terrorists.

By Antigone on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 05:06 pm:

All think tanks are propaganda tits, you naive child.

By patrick on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 05:09 pm:

"The Heritage Foundation is a unique institution—a public policy research organization, or “think tank.” We draw solutions to contemporary problems from the ideas, principles and traditions that make America great"

nawwwwww its not propaganda.

no no no no no. never.

wow look at all the business exec's on the board of trustees of the heritage foundation.

you have an oil man, a carpet cleaning man, automotive industry man, investment banking man, a guy who was in the U.S. Information Agency and State Department, some wench from the Coors family, Steve Forbes, co-founder of Am-Way (wtf?), a VP of Am-Way to name a few.

give me a fucking break.

propaganda of the rich business sector is still propaganda.

while i dont deny that there's some smarts behind the Heritage Foundation any idiot can see their slant from the get go when you look at who is running the show there.

c'mon trace.

sem, war will most likely destroy their oil infrastructure. scorched earth.

By Rowlf on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 05:31 pm:

By patrick on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 05:37 pm:

big protest in LA this weekend and i would assume elsewhere. I think these will be monthly worldwide protests.

By trace on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 06:53 pm:

"and traditions that make America great"

nawwwwww its not propaganda."

Is there anything you like about the US?

By patrick on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 07:07 pm:

*confused look*

um. this has nothing to do with how I feel about my country.

trace look at the base of the heritage foundation.

its a conservative think tank run by the conservative business elite, c'mon man.

even the KKK would have some shit about "the traditions that make America great" in their propaganda. that doesnt mean anything.

By patrick on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 07:24 pm:

for all you fuckers who sucked Powell's
    cock when he went before the UN with "evidence".....enjoy!!!

By jack on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 07:41 pm:

trace: "Is that comment supposed to prove that you're thing indepently?
    because it doesn't.
    Comman tactic is to attack the poster rather then dispute the facts. The whole "your just repeating (insert pundit here)" thing is a little old, and I am weary of wasting my time convincing you dolts I have a mind of my own"

---
    if that's addressed to me, i'll respond:
    my post did not call names or attack the poster. nor did i comment at all on your original post or any "facts" in it or on the topic.

i commented on your response to antigone's post. this doesn't mean that i agree or disagree with your original post. it also doesn't mean that i commented on you personally.

you responded with this childish gibberish that doesn't address my comment at all, which is fine. you did call people "dolts" instead of saying anything, which is also your option, although it's pretty lame to do it one sentence after complaining about people attacking posters instead of subjects.

By Rowlf on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 07:43 pm:

old news is new again

its obvious these intelligences agencies have NOTHING.

If they really had any detailed information, when false information falls into their lap they'd know it was fake right away, just like a Star Trek nerd will know when someone else messed up an episode title or quote. Its their job to know these things better than anyone.

If they really had any detailed information, they'd also be passing along their OWN information to the top, instead of passing along something that wasnt thoroughly investigated. They had a long time to put a case together!

By trace on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 08:27 pm:

Nice.
    Calling me childish.
    Nope, not name calling.

By trace on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 08:30 pm:

What is it you like about the US, patrick?
    All I see is you ever do is bitch and moan about it.
    And accuse and inflame and threaten.

Seriously.
    What is it? What do you like?

By jack on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 08:46 pm:

i called your comments childish.

that's not the same as calling you childish.

is that really too subtle for you are do you just have no other response?

By trace on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 12:00 am:

By Platypus on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:26 am:

The headline in the Chronicle this morning said "LAST PROTEST BEFORE WAR"

Hm.

I'm tired. Time to go back to my hole.

By spunky on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 02:26 am:

To sum up the argument: the Security Council authorised war to end the occupation of Kuwait; the ceasefire in 1991 was conditional on Iraqi disarmament; so Iraq's failure to disarm revives the authorization to use force.

By jack on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 10:17 am:

*applause*

By Antigone on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 03:57 pm:

Spunky, by your own "liberals hate America" reasoning, you hated America two years ago.

What's the statute of limitations on sedition?

Drop this "why do ya'll hate America" argument. It makes you look like an idiot.

By patrick on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 09:16 pm:

trace i have said what i love about my country many times, so im not going to go over it again.

just to refresh your memory, i started a thread about Hooters Airways being launched. This is an example of why i love this country.

also, in the same vein of why they used those silly pics of bush and blair, its the same logic of why our government made available this image...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/030310/168/3h4tp.html

By patrick on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 09:34 pm:

By spunky on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 09:41 pm:

By patrick on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 10:41 pm:

i can see it. those older images of him look just that. older.

but you know, i wouldnt be surprised if they pulled one over us.

hell, i wouldnt be surprised they have bin laden right now. there was a small report last week that they nabbed him in Afghanistan or Pakistan and it was immediately refuted by Pakistani and US sources.

weird. the story just vanished.

they have bin laden and will reveal his head on a silver Bush family platter later this week just as bombs are falling on bahgdad quieting any conservative opposition to war. because the conservative opposition to war, and there is plenty of it, has to do with the fact that we have no osama and our focus on iraq is a bit besides the point in light of that fact.

By trace on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 11:10 pm:

I read something somewhere, I'd have to find it again, that said that Shaikh Mohammed was reported killed last September.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact