Rancho Run-Amuka

sorabji.com: Are you stupid?: Rancho Run-Amuka
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 09:20 am:

Burger ban urged for children

Health officials have suggested that it be made illegal to sell junk food to children.

They want a ban written into a new health law to meet concerns about child obesity.

A minimum legal age for being able to eat such food is one of a number of ideas floated in a Ministry of Health discussion document that aims to restrict children's access to food considered unhealthy.

Other possibilities include restrictions on the number, size and location of outlets selling certain types of food.

One group wants soft drinks, pies, sweets and chocolate included in the controlled category.

Submissions on the discussion paper have now closed, and any proposals the Government adopts are likely to be included in the Public Health Bill which will replace the 1956 Health Act.

A study in Auckland two years ago found that one in seven primary school age children was obese.

Experts say the figure will now be higher.

The Herald has examined the child obesity problem this week in a three-part series.

The ministry's discussion document called for submissions on how food should be advertised and marketed to children, and on how awareness of healthy food options can be improved.

More than 400 submissions were received including those from Fight the Obesity Epidemic, a diabetes and obesity prevention group.

Spokeswoman Robyn Toomath, a consultant endocrinologist at Wellington Hospital and president of the Society for the Study of Diabetes, said the group believed regulation and legislation was urgently needed.

"We have to stop the kids from gaining weight. We have to take a deep breath and say what are the significant factors influencing our children in this epidemic."

Her group's main aims were to stop advertising directed at children and stop schools selling junk food.

The group also wants controls on the quality of food sold within 1km of a school.

"What the heck are we doing selling soft drinks, fruit drinks, chips and pies, sweets and chocolates in schools?" said Dr Toomath.

"These are the foods that are contributing to obesity because they are calorie dense and nutrient poor.

"Its about time we started getting serious about it and stopped promoting them to children in schools.

"We want to regulate the school environment so these things are not able to be sold in schools any more than we would be able to sell alcohol or cigarettes.

"These things are not far-fetched.

"In the long term, they are what will be required."

Restaurant Brands, the company that operates KFC, Pizza Hut and Starbucks in New Zealand, is fighting the proposals.

Chief executive Jim Collier said obesity was a lifestyle disease and needed to be addressed as such.

"We don't think restricting access will address the issue that it is a lifestyle disease."

The company hired public law consultants Chen Palmer and Partners to help prepare submissions on the discussion paper.

Director of Public Health Colin Tukuitonga said the ministry's ideas were put forward for discussion and might not be passed into law.

"But what's important is that these ideas are openly discussed and debated, so everyone including interest groups and the public has the opportunity to provide comments and responses," he said.

The discussion document prompted the Advertising Standards Authority to hold a symposium on obesity.

Executive director Glen Wiggs said the authority did not believe there was a link between advertising of food and obesity.

The symposium was boycotted by health groups, such as the Cancer Society, the Heart Foundation, and Diabetes NZ because they believed it was being used to lobby the Government against imposing regulations on fast-food advertising.

***WHERE WILL IT END?***

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 09:29 am:

By semillama on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 10:23 am:

source?

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 10:38 am:

I read the article on forces.org

They messed up the DNS server, I cannot get to many pages. I am suprised I can get to this one.

By Bigkev on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:01 pm:

ban fast food? whats next ghettos for fat people, with 'weight loss' (read concentration) camps?
    what the fuck is wrong with people... cant we all just live our lives? fuck i hate it when do-gooder busy- bodies try to "fix" things for the world.

Fuck OFF!!! I want to be overweight! I want to get lung cancer, and skin cancer. leave your fucking morals and values and perceptions away from me/my body!!!!!!!

who the fuck are you to tell me how to live?? didn't your teenage child (who you ignore so you can try to force stupid fucking laws through) just shoot up his high school?? well accept the blame its your fault, you ignored them to piss me off.... now go fuck yourself, and cry yourself to sleep for the rest of you r life, because you suck..... jackass

By patrick on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:04 pm:

hey trace...thats bunk.

this was just published yesterday.

but anyone with half a brain knows that SUVs and pollution reduction have no connection. thats just silly.

By eri on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:16 pm:

I will feed my kids whatever the fuck I want whenever the fuck I want. Then again, my kids are in no danger of becoming obese, when my 3 year old weighs what the average 12 month old baby weighs. Hehe. You can't make her gain weight for chrissakes!!!!

I love how the government tries to tell you how to raise your child, what to feed your child, how to punish your child for negative behavior, etc. Fucktards.

I do what I want!!!

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:24 pm:

Patrick,
    They have their sources on the site.

Most of your environment stuff is all bunk, my friend.

Let me put it to you this way:

I am starting to come to the realization that
    terrorism is used the same way as environmentalism.
    Control the world through at least exaggerated data created to scare you.

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:28 pm:

It's all about Junk Science

"Junk science" is faulty scientific data and analysis used to used to further a special agenda. The junk science "mob" includes:

The MEDIA may use junk science for sensational headlines and programming. Some members of the media use junk science to advance their and their employers' social and political agendas.

PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS may use junk science to bamboozle juries into awarding huge verdicts. Large verdicts may then be used to extort even greater sums from deep-pocket businesses that may be fearful of future jury verdicts.

SOCIAL ACTIVISTS, such as the "food police," environmental extremists, and gun-control advocates, may use junk science to achieve social and political change.

GOVERNMENT REGULATORS may use junk science to expand their authority and to increase their budgets.

BUSINESSES may use junk science to bad-mouth competitors' products or to make bogus claims about their own products.

POLITICIANS may use junk science to curry favor with special interest groups or to be "politically correct."

INDIVIDUAL SCIENTISTS may use junk science to achieve fame and fortune.

INDIVIDUALS who are ill (real or imagined) may use junk science to blame others for causing their illness.

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:31 pm:

By patrick on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:41 pm:

which is a conservative fucktank propelling a particular agenda silly.

cars pollute? agree?

bigger cars who use more gas pollute more? agree? or do you think bigger cars have a magic converter in them that turn the extra exhaust from the fuel (i.e. energy spent) into magic pix molecules which actually eat pollution?

its basic physics spunk. mass needs more energy to make it go. the more mass, the more energy required. energy comes in fuel form. auto engines have exhaust which is biproduct of their fuel consumption.

jesus christ you'll believe anything if has a "source".

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:42 pm:

"cars pollute? agree?"

Yes.

"jesus christ you'll believe anything if has a "source"."

I don't think I am alone in that.

By patrick on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:49 pm:

for the record i meant to say "magic pixie molecules"

the pixie part was important.

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:59 pm:

"which is a conservative fucktank propelling a particular agenda silly."

In my best Mike Meyers Voice I say:
    Yes, their agenda is:
    Individual Liberty (**GASP***)
    Limited Government (***EEEEK!***)
    Free Markets (***FAINT***)

The horrors

By eri on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 01:59 pm:

I figured that out Patrick, but thanx for the clarification.

Then again, you all know how I feel about SUV's. If you have a need for them, great, but if you have one for status or to keep up with the Jones', then you are being wasteful, and selfish. I am not going to tell anyone what to do but that doesn't mean I like it.

Spunky and I often agree on environmental issues. Like every time we talk about environmental issues.

By patrick on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 02:34 pm:

The KKK has similar objectives too spunk.

Distortion is easy.

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 02:38 pm:

uhhhmmmmm

ok........

So you think those goals are bad?
    Individual Liberty can mean a lot of things, i guess
    I guess it can mean I have the liberty to shoot someone between the eyes...
    That is why you need to READ the documents they put out before calling them conservative fucktanks

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 02:41 pm:

Actually I thought it was more Libertarian then Conservative.

It appears that the conservatives have begun to move away from smaller government and individual liberty.

By patrick on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 02:50 pm:

of course those goals aren't bad.

individual interpretations and different ideas as to how to attain them can be.

you understand that those goals are entirely subjective...

i don't really know the stated aims of the KKK other than the obvious and thats beside my point.

However, the CATO Institutes idea of "Individual Liberty" or "Limited Government" may not be the XXXX groups interpretation.

It aint so black and white spunky.

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 03:01 pm:

nothing is.

Did you see my post earlier?
    "I am starting to come to the realization that
    terrorism is used the same way as environmentalism.
    Control the world through at least exaggerated data created to scare you."

By semillama on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 03:04 pm:

I think I posted about the Junkscience.com guy's payoff earlier. It's not a good source of info.

By Bk on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 03:35 pm:

'you can use statistics to prove anything Kent; 60% of all people know that." - Homer Simpson to Kent Brockman

By Antigone on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 03:48 pm:

"I am starting to come to the realization that
    terrorism is used the same way as environmentalism."

Just starting?

See how bias can blind you?

Ditch the blinders and look for lies in everything.

And the difference between the lies behind terrorism and environmentalism is that the terrorism lies will be used to control every aspect of our lives. The environmentalism lies, while still lies, are not used for such dark ends.

By TBone on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 03:52 pm:

Individual Liberty - Superficial Freedoms
    Limited Government - World Domination
    Free Markets - Unchecked Exploitation

*Tunnel Vision*

Free to eat junk food, but speak out against the government and you're a traitor.

Our government should let us live our lives the way we want, but needs to police the world to keep us safe.

Anyone is entitled to amass as much wealth as they are capable without restriction, even at the expense of economy, environment, and consumer choice.

The same tired fluff... Rearrange the words and you have the opposing argument. Rightious indignation on both sides can be maintained as long as everyone sticks to the script.

Meanwhile, the net effect of change in the world makes nobody happy.

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 03:52 pm:

Sure they are, tiggy. They are used to control business and individuals. They restrict your choices, and your liberties.

By patrick on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 03:56 pm:

yeah...limiting your choice in automobiles is such a dark end. Roll over Tom Jefferson....stand beside your skeltal self Mr. Adams.....

By Antigone on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 03:56 pm:

Yeah, I knew you'd try to make environmentalism look like terrorism. Why don't you compare George Bush to Saddam Hussein while you're at it?

By Antigone on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 03:59 pm:

Meanwhile, the Republican National Committee made an announcement on April 21 that is in every way more offensive and shocking than any idiocy that tumbled out of Santorum's mouth. For the entire history of the two-party system in this country, the parties have had a gentlemen's agreement that the conventions will take place before Labor Day, with the real, head-to-head campaigning to commence thereafter. But as we know very well, we are no longer dealing with gentlemen. So now the Republicans announce that they are going to meet in New York City about three miles from Ground Zero as near to the anniversary of the tragedy as possible. And they in essence acknowledge, discreetly but quite openly, that the purpose is to squeeze as much political gain out of the attacks, and the national-security issue, as they can.

This is a many-layered offense -- to the traditions and integrity (such that remains) of the American political process, to the firefighters and police officers who did not give their lives so that Bush could later use their deaths to get a bounce in the polls, to every American citizen who doesn't drink Karl Rove's Kool-Aid, and to plain decency.

Source

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:13 pm:

Who has the blinders on now?
    Understand this:

When a government starts taking one thing away for you, IT WILL NOT STOP.

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:18 pm:

Environmentalism IS also being used to get into your wallet.

By patrick on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:26 pm:

no shit spunk.

social security numbers were originally designed to ensure payment of retirement or unemployment benefits.

now those numbers are used to track our banking and credit and countless other aspects of our lives.

"When a government starts taking one thing away for you, IT WILL NOT STOP."

you think about that big boy when you support the war on terror or homeland security or vote for politicians who support them.

"Environmentalism IS also being used to get into your wallet."

so is the war on terror. so what.

By Antigone on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:28 pm:

Right. So what in the environmentalist movement is equivalent to Total Information Awareness?

Patriot Act I and II?

Operation Iraqi Freedom?

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:28 pm:

check this out.
    While that is no where near as important as right to privacy, once they start making some cars illegal, they are not going to stop at cars.

By Antigone on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:29 pm:

"When a government starts taking one thing away for you, IT WILL NOT STOP."

Yes, exactly.

So, why are you so ready to give it your freedom?

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:29 pm:

No, its a tool to get you upset. scared.
    get it?

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:29 pm:

oh, and pissed off at another group of people.

By Antigone on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:34 pm:

Spunk.

Would you rather live a) under martial law, but get to drive any car you want, or b) a free society, but only able to drive fuel cell cars?

By TBone on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:40 pm:

You are right, spunky. The taking away of rights and freedoms does tend to snowball...

So you're never supportive of anything that reduces our freedoms? Think carefully.

By TBone on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:43 pm:

Oops. Too slow. Looks like Patrick and Antigone covered that last post already.

There is plenty of sham environmentalism, but a whole lot of environmentalism is centered on the "consume less" mantra. Not a great way to make money.

By semillama on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 06:24 pm:

Yes. Environmentalism, what a crock. WE were much better off without it, you know?

I mean, who needs clean air and water, anyway? And the Cuyahoga River looked sort of festive when it was on fire.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact