Flush Toilets going down the drain?

sorabji.com: Are you stupid?: Flush Toilets going down the drain?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 12:32 pm:

A growing number of environmentalists are now advocating the expanded use of compost or dry toilets worldwide to combat what they see as an international water crisis.

Proponents of dry toilets, set to convene at the first annual international Dry Toilet 2003 conference in Tampere, Finland, August 20-23, warn of "environmental disaster" if developing nations aspire to flush toilets so prevalent in the industrialized world.

Critics of the upcoming conference say the widespread use of dry toilets in the developing world is nothing more than a "celebration of primitivism" and call the flush toilet the "greatest public health advance in the modern era."

Read the rest of this article here.

You can buy an outhouse, oops I mean dry toilet from Solar Toilet.

Gee, Ma, i'ma guessen we ain't in no need of plumbing afterall!

By patrick on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 12:39 pm:

whats your point?

By spunky on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 12:42 pm:

Hey, if you want to cart your own shit out and let it fester in the sun, then dump it on your own garden, that's your business, but I hardly think a functional sewer system that cleans the water and returns it to the water system is far heathier, and enviromentally safe then shitting in a bucket.

By spunky on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 12:46 pm:

I thought my scarcastic comment at the end of the post would convey my point, that going back to an out-house style of dealing with human waste was not such a brilliant idea.

By patrick on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 01:03 pm:

well yes and no.

it conveyed your sarcasm but you don't really make any counterpoint to the idea.

water will become an issue.

obviously the composting of waste isnt necessarily feasible for city folk, but its not an entirely dumb idea either for those who can manage to do it safely and cleanly.

By patrick on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 01:06 pm:

since you started this thread, why don't you spell out exactly why its a dumb big guy

By eri on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 02:58 pm:

Well, the idea seems just plain gross to me. I am not going to get into details and logic and what not, cuz I don't feel like it. I just think that not having a regular toilet in my home would gross me out. I don't want an outhouse. I am not Arkansas hill people, nor am I the poor girl in a V.C. Andrews novel. I will have my "indoor outhouse" and enjoy it, thank you. The alternative grosses me out.

By Ophelia on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 06:23 pm:

water is definately a problem in a lot of places. maybe you can afford to use a flush toilet because you have enough water available, but at some point environmental practicality has to outweigh the grossed out factor. In rural areas, it might make a lot of sense to use composting toilets. The part of that article that worried me was the bit about how human fertilizer has human pathogens and shouldn't be used on crops. But the Solar Toilet site says that pathogens are removed by heat and aging, and other composting site seemed to have other methods of cleaning it, so as long as the composting system was effectively destroying the pathogens (and I'd think that could pretty easily be tested in a lab and safe levels could be established), it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. I personally find it more exciting and fascinating than gross. As for it being a step backwards in evolution, well, you have to take into account that we weren't really thinking environmentally or globally when a lot of modern appliances came into being, and maybe it's more of a step forward to be figuring out new systems that are more responsible for the future.

By spunky on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 06:32 pm:

But water never disappears.
    There is always the same amount of H2O on this planet. Never any more. Never any less.
    The hard part is what form it is in, solid gas or liquid.
    But man should not have any problems with water supplies on this earth.

When it is in gas form, it will travel to other parts of the globe, but it is still on this earth.
    What we need to learn to do is be able to use some of the sea water for turning turbines and running through a ceptic system or sewer system.
    Human waste is a bio-hazard.
    Third world contries are rife with disease partly because of a lack of a sanitary waste system.

By patrick on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 06:35 pm:

water will be an serious issue for you and your kids in the next 25-50 years so eri it should be a concern. Alternative ideas to our massive consumption of water shouldnt be viewed as "gross" or a "step back in evolution".

sure it wouldn't so feasible for city folk, but we have to get over ourselves and consider other ideas with this issue, because i believe its a big one to come.

hopefully im wrong, but everything seems to be pointing in that direction.

i for one damn those "environmental" low flow toilets because it often takes one-two, sometimes three flushes to do your business, which is entirely counter productive.

You know truly annoys me?

When i see people using the water hose to 'sweep' drives and parking lots.

That irks the fuck out of me.

By patrick on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 06:41 pm:

"But water never disappears."

clean usable water does. all the time spunkoid

as far as the earth having the same amount of water, all the time, in one form or another.

it sounds like Limbaugh crackpottery so...id love to see some docu on that.

By spunky on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 06:52 pm:

Science much my friend?
    Water can and is cleaned every day in the US.
    That water you used to make your mac & cheese was toliet water yesterday.
    That's why I have always thought a water bill was a crock of shit.

When you water your lawn it either soakes all the way to the WATER TABLE (a layer of rocks under the earth's surface) and is returned to the water cycle, or it evaporates and becomes part of a cloud, and falls to the earth when it rains, back on a lawn again, and starts all over again.

By spunky on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 06:56 pm:

You have a water shortage when you are in an arid climate, and the water evaporates. Then it is in vapor (gas) form. It usually transports to a humid climate where it becomes part of a cloud.
    That's why after a rain in the summer it becomes very HUMID. Water is evaporating and is in vapor form, causing humidity.

By patrick on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 07:06 pm:

um.

everything you are saying is all very elementary and obvious spunk...so, its not like you're blinding me with your "science" there Mr. Wizard.

I've heard of "e v a p o r a t i o n" before, believe or not.

Im also know that a water table is not tacky furniture for the rich.

however something you are totally over looking is that even if the water supply was to remain a constant, the DEMAND is increasing spunk and thats the problem.

also, water table pollution as well as aging pipes and treatment systems, according to the NRDC (who sent nico and I to see the Stones in Feb, thank you very much!) are becoming a problem.

By spunky on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 07:12 pm:

that's why the water system needs to be in private hands instead of government hands

By Ophelia on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 07:12 pm:

"Third world contries are rife with disease partly because of a lack of a sanitary waste system."

Also largely because of a lack of clean water supplies.

Water doesn't disappear. It does become polluted and unsafe for use. These days a lot of surface water is polluted from various sources, including flush toilets connected to sewage systems that put human waste into rivers. Thus more places are depending on groundwater for their basic needs, because it's generally cleaner, but in many places groundwater is becoming depleted or polluted. The water doesn't go away, it just becomes filthy after you flush the toilet.

here's a site about groundwater.

By spunky on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 07:13 pm:

I was just replying to your
    "as far as the earth having the same amount of water, all the time, in one form or another.

it sounds like Limbaugh crackpottery so...id love to see some docu on that."
    remark

By patrick on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 07:34 pm:

it seems too simplistic, but thats really beside the point.

the point is, water will be an issue because available clean water is rapidly being depleted either to consumption or pollution or both.

so back to the thread....water consumption is an issue now and its only going to get bigger.

while the outhouse may not be a grand solution, its an idea. appealing to me. how many times have you stunk up the can only to have a guest moments later need to use the bathroom? how many times have your kids fogged you out of the house.

hell id love to poop in the backyard...save me some pride.

oh and if you would use the electrical industry as example for deregulating the water industry... no way.

By BIGKev on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 07:42 pm:

"that's why the water system needs to be in private hands instead of government hands" ...uuhhhh do you remember Enron? how about Exxon..(I'm thinking Valdez here)... tell me why private corporations would be a good thing to have running the water supply/decontamination process. they are no less corupt than politicians, and equally unaccountable (as long as they support the right party...

By Antigone on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 07:44 pm:

dimlu, you're really true to form on this thread. Simplifying to the point of pointlesness.

Unfortunately I don't have enough time today to show how you're full of shit.

That'll have to wait for tomorrow. ;)

In the mean time, If you want to live by the "there's always the same amount of water in the world" try to drink some sea water. Or sewer water.

Or, if you like water being controlled by the private sector, why not move to France? Vivindi controls all of the water there. You're a great fan of the French, aren't you?

By spunky on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 07:51 pm:

God, is there ANYTHING you will not argue with me about? or is there ANYTHING that the US is doing right?
    Is there ANYTHING you wont bitch about?

I am NOT getting into a Government runs everything verus Private sector debate because for some reason, you guys APPEAR to hate the Government, but want them to run everything, so it just boggles my mind.

By patrick on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 08:08 pm:

then stop starting these retarded threads man.

where did anyone say the US was doing anything wrong?

Weren't you were the one to 'bitch' when you started this thread?

What exactly did you want when you started this thread?

just like your "Bush haters" idea, im fairly sure no one here "hates the government". There are aspects to our current government that we all find fault with but it doesnt mean we "hate the government". Stop being so silly.

And in case you forgot millions of Californians got jacked in the last 5 years by power deregulation. Fortunately I, as an Angelino dodged most of it because our power is still a municipal service. The private sector is in the business of profit. Such necessities shouldnt be about profit.

Why don't we privatize the defense department?

By spunky on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 09:43 pm:

"where did anyone say the US was doing anything wrong?"

It was not you that posted about the water pipes and the water treatment plants?????

By spunky on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 09:43 pm:

"where did anyone say the US was doing anything wrong?"

It was not you that posted about the water pipes and the water treatment plants?????

By spunky on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 09:50 pm:

You may not have used the exact words, but you imply that the US uses too much of it's share of water, you have blamed the us for creating too much polution, you have accused the us of consuming too much resources, exporting it's "western culture", being "imperialist", give me some time and I am sure I can come up with more examples of what you have said the US was doing wrong...

By dave. on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 11:33 pm:

these threads make me feel like i just lost a quart of blood.

please . . . make . . . them . . . go . . . away . . .

By moonit on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 12:07 am:

I reckon at the next Sorabji-fest, we just tie some antlers to them and let 'em go for it.

By jack on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 12:15 am:

now, dave. you know these threads won't go away. if anything, they will multiply. so you just need to change your attitude. for instance, rather than feeling like you're losing a quart of blood, you could feel like you're gaining parasitic infestations. try it out. you'll be surprised.

By jack on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 12:25 am:

i like your antler idea, moonit. but i bet once the antlers are on, each participant sits in a corner trying to figure out how to evaluate antlers. still filmworthy.

By moonit on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 12:29 am:

Thanks. I think we'd have to tie hands behind backs - and possibly eri to a chair so she couldnt help Spunky get his off (hmm that came out worong) but I'd bring her much alcohol with a straw so she can keep drinking.

It would be the headline CAGE MATCH!

By jack on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 12:39 am:

if we tie hands behind backs, we might well need retina-controlled internet browsers so that everyone has equal access to suitable stimulation and posture references (as in cockfighting, the danger that the participants will forget the combat is likely to be constant until they really get going). a fine idea, indeed. thankfully, the hilarious antler adjustment period will almost certainly endure.

By Antigone on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 12:21 pm:

"God, is there ANYTHING you will not argue with me about?"

You're calling me God. That's a good start.

If you say something stupid, I'm happy to argue.

"or is there ANYTHING that the US is doing right?"

When did the US come up? How does the dynamics of water purification have anything to do with politics?

"Is there ANYTHING you wont bitch about?"

Who started this thread? Was it me? No. Was it you? Yes.

Who is bitching?

By Antigone on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 12:25 pm:

"I am NOT getting into a Government runs everything verus Private sector debate"

Then don't bring it up.

If you don't want to debate it, don't mention it.

You've become such a whiner.

By Spider on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 12:34 pm:

Spunky, my friend, like I've said before, you need to do more than just c&p articles and then sit on your hands. A couple sentences or three saying, "Hey, I thought this was interesting -- what do you think?" will help us understand what your intentions are when you post things for us to read. Do you agree? Do you disagree? Are you trying to make a point about something? Hell if we know. So throw us a bone, okay, before we go straight for your femur.

By spunky on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

"Gee, Ma, i'ma guessen we ain't in no need of plumbing afterall!"

THAT WAS MY OPINION. It was then followed up by, when patrick did not get my opinion:
    "Hey, if you want to cart your own shit out and let it fester in the sun, then dump it on your own garden, that's your business, but I think a functional sewer system that cleans the water and returns it to the water system is far heathier, and enviromentally safe then shitting in a bucket."

By Antigone on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 12:55 pm:

"if you want to cart your own shit out and let it fester in the sun, then dump it on your own garden, that's your business"

You're carting your shitty arguments and whining out onto these boards and letting them fester on our screens. It's our business.

By Antigone on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 12:57 pm:

So, when are you moving to France?

By jack on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 01:01 pm:

"THAT WAS MY OPINION. It was then followed up by, when patrick did not get my opinion:
    'Hey, if you want to cart your own shit out and let it fester in the sun, then dump it on your own garden, that's your business, but I think a functional sewer system that cleans the water and returns it to the water system is far heathier, and enviromentally safe then shitting in a bucket.'"
    -----------

False. Actually, you followed it up with this:

"...I HARDLY think a functional sewer system that cleans the water and returns it to the water system is far heathier, and enviromentally safe then shitting in a bucket."

Scroll up and see.

By spunky on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 01:05 pm:

it was a typo, so i corrected it. thanks for the clarification, though. I appreciate it.

tiggy, when are you buying your shit house?

By Antigone on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 02:02 pm:

I'm not. I live in an urban area.

By Antigone on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 02:03 pm:

When are you going to stop attacking straw men?

By Antigone on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 02:04 pm:

When is my nose hair going to stop growing so goddamn fast?

By wisper on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 12:21 am:

they de-regulated our gas, and it's hell. These fucking rats show up at our door every 2 weeks pretending they're from our gas company, and demand we show then our gas bill and then sign their vaugely worded contracts.
    I either fuck with them-
    "you work for my gas company? really? what's the name of my current gas company? what's their number? address?"
    or just tell them to "get off my property RIGHT NOW!!!" and then slam the door.
    The new housemates thought it was cold at first, but these fuckwad, lower than dirt, door to door guys are just going to go next door and con some poor old lady. Or six.
    I really can't say enough bad things about them.
    Scum.

By wisper on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 07:05 pm:

did i mention i hate them?
    every time i think about it, i get heartburn.

By Big foot on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 07:10 pm:

when will my anal hair stop growing so fast.

By Antigone on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 07:15 pm:

When I stop sticking my nose up there.

By Antigone on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 07:15 pm:

And I ain't gonna.

By Antigone on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 07:16 pm:

It's nice 'n' warm 'n' cozy up there.

By BIGKev on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 07:36 pm:

lets get this straight.... is the hair growing INSIDE the anal cavity and protruding out? Or is it just around the anus and growing, more or less, normally?

If it is the latter you can cut it, or shave it, or even have it waxed... if it is bothersome, that is.

I suppose those options would work if it was the former as well...... hummm

By Big foot on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 07:45 pm:

well.........lets put it this way,you can slide a razor around inside your nose with good results,but inside your ass.....i dont think so,unless some o you folks have tried it.

By Antigone on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 08:22 pm:

Define "good results."

By Big foot on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 09:02 pm:

[good results] are most nose hairs gone,with just a few cuts that can be blotted with toilet paper[before meeting mail man,milk man etc]also works on ears,but not so good,cut big bit of skin off last week,lots of blood.

By dave. on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 10:19 pm:

dude, i actually did that. once. micro-fileted nostril HURTS!

By wisper on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 07:21 pm:

dave! you're crazy!

damn!

By dave. on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 01:42 am:

hey, i thought i was good enough at razor-wielding that it wouldn't be too dangerous. i have enormous nostrils that face mostly forward. i get a klingon -- everybody (but me) knows it. i figure i spend more time than most people tending the bügergärten. especially during allergy season.

had i known i'd fuck it up so badly and that the fuckup would cause SO MUCH BLOOD AND PAIN, well, i'd have been better served by a bic lighter and a ½ rack.

By patrick on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 12:50 pm:

have you ever tried to pluck a nosey hair? what up with that bizarre tickle/pain sensation?

By wisper on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 07:14 pm:

just buy a trimmer already guys! yowza

By Big foot on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 06:44 pm:

no,if i buy a trimmer,i have to admit i got a big,big,problem with nose hair,and......i got them foward faceing nostrils,just like dave.my nose hair is so long,i think the end of it grows out my head,[and perhaps my ass]so if i pluck,makes my eyes water,just to think of it,do i go bald and lose all arm,ass,head,pubic hair at the same time.

By Big foot on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 09:48 pm:

dave,when you blow your nose,do you find fur balls in your kleenex,like i do.

By dave. on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 10:57 pm:

no, i really don't. just the usual gunk, some blood from the hayfever and instructions on how to build time machines.

By Big foot on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 08:29 pm:

dave,try zinc pills,they boost the immune system-if they can take one week off the effects of a cold,they must be good.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact